Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

Continuing on from the "Square crossover JRPG niche" conversation that we had yesterday, could've a Mario RPG, a Zelda RPG and a Kirby RPG, both made by Square, culminated in a Nintendo Kingdom Hearts? I mean, Square would've already developed a close relationship with Nintendo at this point, so it makes more sense to feature Nintendo characters rather than Disney characters.
I agree. Heck, by that point, we could have had a sequel to Super Mario RPG in that time frame in addition to Square's take on Zelda and a Kirby RPG. And if anything, those three bases already cover a significant portion of what Kingdom Hearts was originally like IOTL. A hubworld based on the other company's mascot, interstellar travel, and being able to traverse into new exotic locations.

Heck, for my money, it's easier to see King Mario than it is to see King Mickey.

I agree. Heck, by that point, we could have had a sequel to Super Mario RPG in that time frame in addition to Square's take on Zelda and a Kirby RPG. And if anything, those three bases already cover a significant portion of what Kingdom Hearts was originally like IOTL. A hubworld based on the other company's mascot, interstellar travel, and being able to traverse into new exotic locations.

Heck, for my money, it's easier to see King Mario than it is to see King Mickey.
Who would be Sora's partners though? Luigi and Yoshi? Luigi and Toad? Geno and Mallow?

Who would be Sora's partners though? Luigi and Yoshi? Luigi and Toad? Geno and Mallow?
Luigi would definitely be one of Sora's partners, but choosing between Yoshi and Toad as the second partner is hard. Maybe Geno can be a temporary party member in a separate world, though.

Oh, and in the event of a Nintendo franchise with no humans, like Star Fox, should we incorporate transformations akin to OTL Kingdom Hearts?

Oh, and in the event of a Nintendo franchise with no humans, like Star Fox, should we incorporate transformations akin to OTL Kingdom Hearts?
Funny as Star Fox OTL almost got humans but were dropped, regardless... With SMRPG is an example, Sora might not exist, or he would be the Geno equivalent, ie the guide/archon that blends the plot(for instance how Geno combines the stars plot with Mario B plot of strange creatures attacking switching it to the A-one once they get back Peach). If there a crossover RPG, Mario is the MC Period. That or a Hero of light equivalent would be closer to a blank canvas than Sora(that he is).

Funny as Star Fox OTL almost got humans but were dropped, regardless... With SMRPG is an example, Sora might not exist, or he would be the Geno equivalent, ie the guide/archon that blends the plot(for instance how Geno combines the stars plot with Mario B plot of strange creatures attacking switching it to the A-one once they get back Peach). If there a crossover RPG, Mario is the MC Period. That or a Hero of light equivalent would be closer to a blank canvas than Sora(that he is).
Yeah, that seems about right.

What's a MC?

Probably not quite in the subject, but I came across the following idea - that the victory of the USSR in the Cold War (or at least the expansion of influence on Western Europe) can be an alt-positive for European Cinema.
Here's the thing - it is known that American cinema was rarely shown in the Soviet Union. This is primarily due, however, not to censorship restrictions (although, of course, there were such). The fact is that American cinema was expensive. Since the USSR bought foreign films for a fixed amount and did not pay their producers any deductions from the box office, big-budget Hollywood productions had practically no chance of reaching the Soviet market: the prices charged by Universal Pictures or Warner Bros. Studios were simply beyond the reach of Sovexportfilm. As a result, there are much more films from other countries in the Soviet Union. First of all, they are Indian. From Europe, these are Italian and French (Polish, Czechoslovak, and East German were also popular). Because of a number of Italian and French figures, they were insanely popular in the USSR, with complete obscurity in the USA - such as Adriano Celentano and Jean Mare - films with them collected 50-60 million viewers at a time.
As a result, the fall of the Soviet Union was not reflected very well - one of the main spectators disappeared.
If we assume that the Soviet Union is increasing its influence, and that it is negotiating with Italian-French (and other) manufacturers about deductions from rental (say 20-30%), this may provoke Western Europe to reorient its market towards the USSR and reduce the share of rental American films.

Probably not quite in the subject, but I came across the following idea - that the victory of the USSR in the Cold War (or at least the expansion of influence on Western Europe) can be an alt-positive for European Cinema.
Here's the thing - it is known that American cinema was rarely shown in the Soviet Union. This is primarily due, however, not to censorship restrictions (although, of course, there were such). The fact is that American cinema was expensive. Since the USSR bought foreign films for a fixed amount and did not pay their producers any deductions from the box office, big-budget Hollywood productions had practically no chance of reaching the Soviet market: the prices charged by Universal Pictures or Warner Bros. Studios were simply beyond the reach of Sovexportfilm. As a result, there are much more films from other countries in the Soviet Union. First of all, they are Indian. From Europe, these are Italian and French (Polish, Czechoslovak, and East German were also popular). Because of a number of Italian and French figures, they were insanely popular in the USSR, with complete obscurity in the USA - such as Adriano Celentano and Jean Mare - films with them collected 50-60 million viewers at a time.
As a result, the fall of the Soviet Union was not reflected very well - one of the main spectators disappeared.
If we assume that the Soviet Union is increasing its influence, and that it is negotiating with Italian-French (and other) manufacturers about deductions from rental (say 20-30%), this may provoke Western Europe to reorient its market towards the USSR and reduce the share of rental American films.
Interesting...

There an easier one...STEAL THOSE MOVIES ANYWAY.

Obviously I've pissed you off.
you missed the point(that was a reference if you get it), but it was very unique outliner i didn't know about it, maybe Bollywood become big in a surviving SU? like i was wondering if was improving Sovie film making but BAM, it was about exports.

you missed the point(that was a reference if you get it), but it was very unique outliner i didn't know about it, maybe Bollywood become big in a surviving SU? like i was wondering if was improving Sovie film making but BAM, it was about exports.
It depends on many factors - but at least Bollywood films will be exported to the Central Asian regions. Bollywood (and more broadly Indian) - it is very popular in Muslim countries. And this is at least 20% of the population.
In general, the person with whom I discussed this idea suggested that over time the share of Indian cinema will decrease in favor of East Asian. I must say that there really were trends - a number of Japanese and North Korean films really gained a lot of popularity (and Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan were the main targets of piracy). But here the point is that politics can still play a role here. While cinema relations with India were stable regardless of the regime. But here the point is that politics can still play a role here. While cinema relations with India were stable regardless of the regime. It seems that even for Sholay they shot a slightly different finale in that number and with the expectation of a Soviet rental.

If Sonic SatAM were to receive a Japanese dub (I'm guessing in 1996), could Studio Pierrot perhaps produce a two-part OVA based on the show, as a way to promote it's premiere in Japan, thus butterflying away OTL's Sonic OVA? Perhaps as a prequel to the show, explaining Mobotropolis and how Dr. Robotnik took it over and turned it into Robotropolis, and Sonic and the Freedom Fighters' first encounter with Robotnik? I could imagine this happening in a TL where Sonic SatAM was more successful and lasted for three more seasons.

If Sonic SatAM were to receive a Japanese dub (I'm guessing in 1996), could Studio Pierrot perhaps produce a two-part OVA based on the show, as a way to promote it's premiere in Japan, thus butterflying away OTL's Sonic OVA? Perhaps as a prequel to the show, explaining Mobotropolis and how Dr. Robotnik took it over and turned it into Robotropolis, and Sonic and the Freedom Fighters' first encounter with Robotnik? I could imagine this happening in a TL where Sonic SatAM was more successful and lasted for three more seasons.
That's a cool idea.

There is also an interesting fact of close cooperation. There were films co-produced by Poland and the USSR, or, say, the GDR and the USSR (which is funny, Jerzy Hoffmann filmed "The Deluge" with the support of the financing and assistance of Belarusfilm and the Dovzhenko Film Studio. And even the Ukrainian-phobic With Fire and Sword he shot already in the post-Soviet period participation of the Russian actor Alexander Domogarov and the cult Ukrainian Bohdan Stupka). Many already know about Italian-French cooperation.
Theoretically, greater mutual integration between Soviet and European cinema is possible: actors from the USSR could film in France with a Polish director and, conversely, Italian stars would be actively invited to film in the Soviet Union.

In my pop culture timeline, Gunpei Yokoi leaves Nintendo in October 1992 after Nintendo and Sony scrap the Virtual Boy. Yokoi takes the concept of Panel de Pon with him to Bandai, resulting in a killer app for the WonderSwan (a handheld that had color from the start ITTL), and a hit anime.

In my pop culture timeline, Gunpei Yokoi leaves Nintendo in October 1992 after Nintendo and Sony scrap the Virtual Boy. Yokoi takes the concept of Panel de Pon with him to Bandai, resulting in a killer app for the WonderSwan (a handheld that had color from the start ITTL), and a hit anime.
Cool!

Would Bandai dub the anime themselves?

If so, then what network should it air on?

How would Gunpei Yokoi leaving Nintendo earlier in 1992 affect the evolution of the Game Boy line?