Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

Would've a Final Fantasy boss fit anywhere in a Square-made SpongeBob RPG, or at the very least, a FF-inspired one?
If we're talking about final bosses? I doubt it, as I don't know how they're able to explain the adaptability into the Bikini Atoll setting. Especially the human-looking ones.

Better to use FF as an inspiration in this case.

If we're talking about final bosses? I doubt it, as I don't know how they're able to explain the adaptability into the Bikini Atoll setting. Especially the human-looking ones.

Better to use FF as an inspiration in this case.
Okay. And could've a Nicktoons-Final Fantasy crossover RPG worked in some way? (Basically, think of Nicktoons Unite!, but with action RPG gameplay and Final Fantasy characters)

Okay. And could've a Nicktoons-Final Fantasy crossover RPG worked in some way? (Basically, think of Nicktoons Unite!, but with action RPG gameplay and Final Fantasy characters)
That would probably give us better Final Fantasy representation, and probably even an entire world dedicated to the series. The latter is something that not even Kingdom Hearts has done, to my knowledge.

Financially or critically, though? It might not have done well in Japan, but it could have made a killing in the States.

That would probably give us better Final Fantasy representation, and probably even an entire world dedicated to the series. The latter is something that not even Kingdom Hearts has done, to my knowledge.

Financially or critically, though? It might not have done well in Japan, but it could have made a killing in the States.
Could've it done well in Japan if it was made to promote the Japanese Nickelodeon channel, with excellent marketing and big enough hype that is?

An idea I had for a No Hays Code TL is that Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger follow up their successful 1951 film The Tales of Hoffmann with an adaptation of The Hobbit. This film has a screenplay written by Tolkien, and won an Academy Award for Visual Effects.

Last edited:
Here's a Sega logo that I made for a ATL where the 1993 Mario movie was more faithful to the source material than OTL and thus was a success, leading to a boom of more successful and more faithful video game movies than OTL, probably about as successful as or maybe even more successful than comic book movies IOTL, with Sega entering the movie business earlier, with a theatrical animated Sonic movie in 1996 that is a Japanese-American co-production between a American movie studio and TMS Entertainment (Tokyo Movie Shinsha).

What do you think? I tried my best to replicate the look and style of 90s Japanese CGI, as I believe this logo would've been animated in Japan, probably by Sega AM3 or some other Japanese CGI company (idk), so I hope that you'll like it.

Here's a Sega logo that I made for a ATL where the 1993 Mario movie was more faithful to the source material than OTL and thus was a success, leading to a boom of more successful and more faithful video game movies than OTL, probably about as successful as or maybe even more successful than comic book movies IOTL, with Sega entering the movie business earlier, with a theatrical animated Sonic movie in 1996 that is a Japanese-American co-production between a American movie studio and TMS Entertainment (Tokyo Movie Shinsha).

What do you think? I tried my best to replicate the look and style of 90s Japanese CGI, as I believe this logo would've been animated in Japan, probably by Sega AM3 or some other Japanese CGI company (idk), so I hope that you'll like it.
That actually is quite good!

Would this result in a earlier Sonic X where it's dubbed by a respectful company?

That actually is quite good!

Would this result in a earlier Sonic X where it's dubbed by a respectful company?
Probably. In fact, why don't we make that Sonic Man of the Year short from 1994 a pitch pilot for a possible Sonic anime and make that a earlier version of Sonic X? How about that? Although I was thinking that ITTL, Sonic SatAM goes on for 2 more seasons unlike OTL, and introduces characters such as Knuckles and Amy down the line, with Amy serving as a competitor for Sonic's love interest along with Sally Acorn, with Princess Sally in the American Sonic CD manual instead being referred to as Amy/Rosy.

Probably. In fact, why don't we make that Sonic Man of the Year short from 1994 a pitch pilot for a possible Sonic anime and make that a earlier version of Sonic X? How about that? Although I was thinking that ITTL, Sonic SatAM goes on for 2 more seasons unlike OTL, and introduces characters such as Knuckles and Amy down the line, with Amy serving as a competitor for Sonic's love interest along with Sally Acorn, with Princess Sally in the American Sonic CD manual instead being referred to as Amy/Rosy.
Or...........

We just put Sonic SatAM on Fox Kids and let that, X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs and Power Rangers dominate!

And yes! I'd definitely down for more Sega adaptations!

Would mortal Kombat be more faithful too?

There was this logo used in End of Evangelion...

Maybe, but being made by Squaresoft could have helped get more Japanese buyers.
Continuing on from the "Square crossover JRPG niche" conversation that we had yesterday, could've a Mario RPG, a Zelda RPG and a Kirby RPG, both made by Square, culminated in a Nintendo Kingdom Hearts? I mean, Square would've already developed a close relationship with Nintendo at this point, so it makes more sense to feature Nintendo characters rather than Disney characters.