Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

Of course, knowing Miyamoto he would prefer the uncompressed music over FMV but again Japan loved FMV so some might be used. I think the plot would be based a worldwide trek, there a reason why super Mario wacky world existed ( even if cancelled)
If the Nintendo 64 uses CDs or any other disc format for its games, can there be some FMV cutscenes in Super Mario 64, this time pre-rendered in 3D?

If the Nintendo 64 uses CDs or any other disc format for its games, can there be some FMV cutscenes in Super Mario 64, this time pre-rendered in 3D?
Knowing all the high res/def renders Nintendo did with SGI would be possible, as 3D was all rage post toy story

Which name progression is the most logical for a ATL Nintendo 64?

A. Nintendo Entertainment System (3rd gen) > Super Nintendo Entertainment System (4th gen) > Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System (5th gen)

B. Nintendo Entertainment System (3rd gen) > Super Nintendo Entertainment System (4th gen) > Hyper Nintendo Entertainment System (5th gen)

Which name progression is the most logical for a ATL Nintendo 64?

A. Nintendo Entertainment System (3rd gen) > Super Nintendo Entertainment System (4th gen) > Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System (5th gen)

B. Nintendo Entertainment System (3rd gen) > Super Nintendo Entertainment System (4th gen) > Hyper Nintendo Entertainment System (5th gen)
The first one.

I'd do it like this:

NES>>SNES>>UNES>>GNES(Giga NES)>>RNES(Revolutionary NES)/Nintendo Revolution/Wii>>HNES(Hyper NES)>>Nintendo Switch.

And how much do you know about gaming @TripleToad333?

I know quite a lot.
Great!!

Maybe you can help us with my newly rebooted Hasbro/Marvel/Nintendo/Saban-themed TL, More Than Meets The Eye:

And I'll even invite you to the conversation!

Welcome, and enjoy!

Do you think Sonic the Hedgehog could've fared better in Japan if they kept the more "Japanese-ish" elements of the game, such as a human love interest for Sonic, Sonic being in a band and the more organic-looking enemies seen in the concept art?

Do you think Sonic the Hedgehog could've fared better in Japan if they kept the more "Japanese-ish" elements of the game, such as a human love interest for Sonic, Sonic being in a band and the more organic-looking enemies seen in the concept art?
I don't know if a human love interest or organic-looking enemies would have helped, but Sonic being in a band could have somehow made him too American to be Japanese.

I think sonic got struck by megadrive own unpopularity in japan, but that could help,short of butterflying away the pc engine is hard

I think sonic got struck by megadrive own unpopularity in japan, but that could help,short of butterflying away the pc engine is hard
Sonic's lack of popularity in Japan (a situation that only began to change very recently) has always perplexed me. He does have a feel of a Western cartoon character (being inspired by Felix the Cat and other old cartoons, especially with white gloves being included in the design), but then again, Sega of America felt the need to westernize him further.

Sonic's lack of popularity in Japan (a situation that only began to change very recently) has always perplexed me. He does have a feel of a Western cartoon character (being inspired by Felix the Cat and other old cartoons, especially with white gloves being included in the design), but then again, Sega of America felt the need to westernize him further.
Especially as Sony propaganda machine was able to make Crash Bandicoot Popular BUT once the exclusivity deal fell off that character is nowhere remembered in japan..or was crash bundled in japan? that gives me an example Sonic's bad luck was being stuck on the Megadrive and later on Sega's own incompetence to give a proper Sonic game to the Saturn.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2022/11/japan-charts-sonic-frontiers-becomes-fastest-selling-mainline-game-in-20-years/#:~:text=Sonic Game Storytelling-,Japan Charts: Sonic Frontiers Becomes Fastest-Selling,Mainline Game in 20 Years&text=Sonic Frontiers has smashed series,unit sales across all platforms. seriously those numbers are pathetic, that make Shibazaki Yōsuke even a bigger outliner in fiction, he must be the only fictional japanese to like Sonic at all

Last edited:
Especially as Sony propaganda machine was able to make Crash Bandicoot Popular BUT once the exclusivity deal fell off that character is nowhere remembered in japan..or was crash bundled in japan? that gives me an example Sonic's bad luck was being stuck on the Megadrive and later on Sega's own incompetence to give a proper Sonic game to the Saturn.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2022/11/japan-charts-sonic-frontiers-becomes-fastest-selling-mainline-game-in-20-years/#:~:text=Sonic Game Storytelling-,Japan Charts: Sonic Frontiers Becomes Fastest-Selling,Mainline Game in 20 Years&text=Sonic Frontiers has smashed series,unit sales across all platforms. seriously those numbers are pathetic, that make Shibazaki Yōsuke even a bigger outliner in fiction, he must be the only fictional japanese to like Sonic at all
Oh yeah, I've seen that bit. That was surprising, for the reason I brought up already.

If Saturn were to have a proper all-new Sonic game, maybe it could have turned the tide a bit. I do wonder which Sega IP was their biggest in Japan at the time. That whole "Sonic being more popular in the West" deal might have contributed to the infamous clashes between JP and US branches of Sega.

do wonder which Sega IP was their biggest in Japan at the time.
Virtua Fighter , that game was a cultural phenomenon in the mid 90's.
Second would be Sakura Taisen,of course a game about idealized Japan would be popular in home alongside being an almost playable Anime

That whole "Sonic being more popular in the West" deal might have contributed to the infamous clashes between JP and US branches of Sega.
Might have make the friction worse but the fact that SEGA consoles were unable to take off in Japan till Saturn was a big pressure in Sega. Regardless the friction and mismanagement between branch was a massive time bomb helped to destroy Sega.

Regardless seems marketing is everything, that and your console having a userbase matter