Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

Oh it existed, but I’m saying matching the tone of Sonic SatAM or rather the one that introduced the world to Sally Acorn
Technically in a way the animated segment tried that but proved Miyamoto right, Mario is the players Marionette, how you play it is es experience, but again seems Nintendo after the SMB movie failure just didn't care

Technically in a way the animated segment tried that but proved Miyamoto right, Mario is the players Marionette, how you play it is es experience, but again seems Nintendo after the SMB movie failure just didn't care
I don’t disagree but you could also say the same about old school Sonic too

I don’t disagree but you could also say the same about old school Sonic too
Sonic was a marketing product, whatever were the cartoons or comic wouldn't have care less to Sonic team at the time, that is why adventures rebooted it fully, to tell us, the tie in media always got it wrong.. this is Sonic and co

The same seems with Mario just that Miyamoto always gives priority to gameplay over any kind of narrative

Sonic was a marketing product, whatever were the cartoons or comic wouldn't have care less to Sonic team at the time, that is why adventures rebooted it fully, to tell us, the tie in media always got it wrong.. this is Sonic and co

The same seems with Mario just that Miyamoto always gives priority to gameplay over any kind of narrative
The problem with Miyamoto is that he also gets in the way of his own success. Sticker Star comes to mind

The problem with Miyamoto is that he also gets in the way of his own success. Sticker Star comes to mind
The opposite, people forget intelligent system fired his writers after radiant dawn fiasco and sticker was tanabe idea and Miyamoto defended him

What if Nintendo decided to get in on the game with Super Mario? Comics and shows built with a similar but not directly copied theme and complete with a cartoon for children? Bonus points if you can find a decent voice for Bowser to rival Jim Cummings as Robotnik in Sonic Sat AM. My personal pick would be Tony Jay.
I'd say Ron Pearlman as Bowser would be a better fit. Maybe instead Wart is an even bigger villain who is voiced by Jay.

Recently, in my mind, I keep coming back to the Jetix brand. It's not the most remembered thing for American viewers, but in Europe, it's an institution. I personally never got to witness it, but saw a lot of shows with this brand, and many Russians recall fondly on Jetix. In Russia, it was replaced by Disney Channel since there was none prior to that, which felt like a whiplash to many. In countries where Disney Channel was already a thing, it was replaced by Disney XD, which, in all fairness, was a much more accurate spiritial successor to Jetix.

For a good while I was convinced Jetix was a temporary measure. A transitional period to expand the Disney outreach and establish a presence for Disney networks all over the world. But recently I'm starting to doubt that impression. Sure, Disney owned a good chunk of it, but there are several ways the The Walt Disney Company could turn out, in all fairness. It was only when Disney got more control of it that the Jetix name was phased out for good.

Do you think that Jetix could turn out differently (and if yes, how so)? Or am I imagining things and Jetix was a temporary measure? Sometimes I like to think what shows could've fit Jetix had it been around today...

Recently, in my mind, I keep coming back to the Jetix brand. It's not the most remembered thing for American viewers, but in Europe, it's an institution. I personally never got to witness it, but saw a lot of shows with this brand, and many Russians recall fondly on Jetix. In Russia, it was replaced by Disney Channel since there was none prior to that, which felt like a whiplash to many. In countries where Disney Channel was already a thing, it was replaced by Disney XD, which, in all fairness, was a much more accurate spiritial successor to Jetix.
I'm an American, and I do remember checking out Jetix whenever I could. However, by the time Disney XD came about, Jetix had a majority of the Toon Disney schedule to itself. Still a better replacement than Disney Channel, though.
For a good while I was convinced Jetix was a temporary measure. A transitional period to expand the Disney outreach and establish a presence for Disney networks all over the world. But recently I'm starting to doubt that impression. Sure, Disney owned a good chunk of it, but there are several ways the The Walt Disney Company could turn out, in all fairness. It was only when Disney got more control of it that the Jetix name was phased out for good.
Believe you me, Jetix could have and should have been still around to this very day.
Do you think that Jetix could turn out differently (and if yes, how so)? Or am I imagining things and Jetix was a temporary measure? Sometimes I like to think what shows could've fit Jetix had it been around today...
Yes, I do think Jetix could have turned out differently. Why, just off the top of my head:
1: Jetix could get a second channel to itself, while Disney XD replaces some or all of Toon Disney.
2: In the event that Disney XD replaces only part of Toon Disney, I can see it being their overnight block, like Adult Swim. Not only that, but we could see Toon Disney air nothing but Disney animation, while Disney XD airs the live-action reruns like So Weird or Bug Juice or Lizzie McGuire.
3: As for the shows on Jetix, I can see the new Marvel and Star Wars movies and shows premiere on that channel instead of on Disney XD, plus Miraculous Ladybug, Hotel Transylvania: The Series, Naruto: Shippuden, Pokemon, Yo-Kai Watch, Beyblade, and more of the stuff Disney doesn't own but still licenses out.

Would you prefer this outlook over what we got?

First off:
Would you prefer this outlook over what we got?
Certainly I would. Disney Channel Russia in its early free-to-air incarnation was a hit-and-miss to me. And, going by this...
Believe you me, Jetix could have and should have been still around to this very day.
...I feel like you would understand the feelings of many Russian kids when Disney took over Jetix. Heck, Jetix network in Russia was one of the last ones to go down.

The idea of a dedicated Jetix network in the US is intriguing, but I feel it would go against Disney's attempts to streamline their brand (unless Disney loses its primary grip on Jetix, that is). Disney X.D. (let's hope it won't turn into an emoji if I spell it this way) had a vibe very similar to Jetix in its branding, though. I can see Jetix as a block be more prominent on Toon Disney or wherever it ends up.

Jetix actually had a few sub-brands of its own. Jetix Play was geared towards the same age group as Nick Jr or Disney Junior (ex-Playhouse Disney - funnily enough, in Russia these two brands share the same Russian name, and I believe it's the same in other countries which localized Playhouse and Disney Junior into its own languages). The Romanian Jetix Play network was shut down even later than Russian Jetix was made into Disney, and other countries (including Russia) had a Jetix Play network as well. There was a block called Jetix Max on certain Jetix networks, which was (at least in Russia) made up of superhero fare.

As for the shows on Jetix, I can see the new Marvel and Star Wars movies and shows premiere on that channel instead of on Disney X.D., plus Miraculous Ladybug, Hotel Transylvania: The Series, Naruto: Shippuden, Pokemon, Yo-Kai Watch, Beyblade, and more of the stuff Disney doesn't own but still licenses out.
I also thought that Miraculous would be a good fit for Jetix. Marvel and Star Wars definitely feel like they would belong there. I generally feel like a lot of Jetix programming would come from Europe and Japan. But I'd also say that certain Disney X.D. original productions could fit Jetix well.

Also, Jetix aired Sonic X in Russia. Sonic Boom on Jetix, how 'bout that?

First off:
Certainly I would. Disney Channel Russia in its early free-to-air incarnation was a hit-and-miss to me.
Thanks! I don't know that much about Russian television, so I can't comment on how bad Disney Channel was when it launched there.
And, going by this...
...I feel like you would understand the feelings of many Russian kids when Disney took over Jetix. Heck, Jetix network in Russia was one of the last ones to go down.
Admittedly, I would. But at least you guys got lucky with the brand, if it is true that Russia was one of the last countries to end its Jetix channel.
The idea of a dedicated Jetix network in the US is intriguing, but I feel it would go against Disney's attempts to streamline their brand (unless Disney loses its primary grip on Jetix, that is). Disney X.D. (let's hope it won't turn into an emoji if I spell it this way) had a vibe very similar to Jetix in its branding, though. I can see Jetix as a block be more prominent on Toon Disney or wherever it ends up.
Streamline, shmeamline. Owning Marvel Comics in its entirety would have been good enough to keep the Jetix brand alive into the present day, considering how many of Fox Kids's shows came from the pages of Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, and Martin Goodman. Add to that the Lucasfilm library and everything else they can get their hands on, and Disney could phase out the Saban Entertainment content by 2015, 2016, or even 2017.
But on a brighter note, the X.D. in Disney X.D. didn't turn into a laughing emoji when typed like that.
Jetix actually had a few sub-brands of its own. Jetix Play was geared towards the same age group as Nick Jr or Disney Junior (ex-Playhouse Disney - funnily enough, in Russia these two brands share the same Russian name, and I believe it's the same in other countries which localized Playhouse and Disney Junior into its own languages). The Romanian Jetix Play network was shut down even later than Russian Jetix was made into Disney, and other countries (including Russia) had a Jetix Play network as well. There was a block called Jetix Max on certain Jetix networks, which was (at least in Russia) made up of superhero fare.
I was going to mention Jetix Play for the "dedicated channel" idea for the States, but I wasn't sure if that could be feasible back then. And Jetix Max, although it would be the best way to continue its lifespan where I come from, would probably not do as well as Jetix proper before it.
I also thought that Miraculous would be a good fit for Jetix. Marvel and Star Wars definitely feel like they would belong there.
All three of those categories are obvious choices, since Disney makes more money on Marvel and Star Wars than the classic characters themselves, and Miraculous is one of the most aired shows on Disney Channel by far currently.
I generally feel like a lot of Jetix programming would come from Europe and Japan. But I'd also say that certain Disney X.D. original productions could fit Jetix well.
Of course. I can see Geronimo Stilton get a brief run on Jetix, as that would fit with shows like Yin Yang Yo! and Monster Buster Club. Did you know that show exists?
Also, Jetix aired Sonic X in Russia. Sonic Boom on Jetix, how 'bout that?
Sonic X, Sonic Boom, Pokemon, Digimon, Yo-Kai Watch, Beyblade, Medabots. We might as well put Yu-Gi-Oh! and Cardcaptors on the Jetix table and complete the entire set here.

Streamline, shmeamline. Owning Marvel Comics in its entirety would have been good enough to keep the Jetix brand alive into the present day, considering how many of Fox Kids's shows came from the pages of Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, and Martin Goodman. Add to that the Lucasfilm library and everything else they can get their hands on, and Disney could phase out the Saban Entertainment content by 2015, 2016, or even 2017.
That's certainly very true. These are both massive franchises with a ton of appeal, and could be some of the most successful Jetix offerings. Speaking of Saban, though - Jetix aired Power Rangers, and Disney, when they owned this particular franchise, couldn't properly stick it anywhere. And it feels like a natural fit for Jetix. What'd happen to those?

Also, SIP Animation (known as Saban International Pictures initially but independent with a Disney-owned share from 2002 to 2009) had produced a few pilots before it closed doors. Come to think of it, one of Zagtoon's co-founders was also the co-founder of SIP Animation, and Thomas Astruc worked on W.I.T.C.H., also a SIP production...
I can see Geronimo Stilton get a brief run on Jetix, as that would fit with shows like Yin Yang Yo! and Monster Buster Club. Did you know that show exists?
Actually saw it back in the day on Karusel, which is the biggest Russian homegrown kids' network. It's a lot of fun! Very possible.
Sonic X, Sonic Boom, Pokemon, Digimon, Yo-Kai Watch, Beyblade, Medabots. We might as well put Yu-Gi-Oh! and Cardcaptors on the Jetix table and complete the entire set here.
Yu-Gi-Oh did air on Jetix in Europe. Jetix and 4Kids had some weird sort of connection through Fox, and 4Kids-dubbed shows ran on Jetix in certain regions. Also, Russian Jetix aired Naruto, which is also an interesting bit of trivia.

Eon Kid (or Iron Kid) is an interesting show Jetix atred in certain regions, while we're at it.

That's certainly very true. These are both massive franchises with a ton of appeal, and could be some of the most successful Jetix offerings.
Well, duh. That is a major given here.
Speaking of Saban, though - Jetix aired Power Rangers, and Disney, when they owned this particular franchise, couldn't properly stick it anywhere. And it feels like a natural fit for Jetix. What'd happen to those?
Do you mean the post-Samurai seasons of Power Rangers? Those seasons and the re-version of MMPR on ABC Kids could get some airtime as well, before becoming Disney+ exclusives going forward. I mean, those heroes were the biggest draw Jetix ever had, and arguably in general.
Of course, Saban would still buy the franchise back, but this new Jetix would still be the exclusive home for it in exchange for the new Marvel content in production as the new in-house face of the workhorse.
Also, SIP Animation (known as Saban International Pictures initially but independent with a Disney-owned share from 2002 to 2009) had produced a few pilots before it closed doors. Come to think of it, one of Zagtoon's co-founders was also the co-founder of SIP Animation, and Thomas Astruc worked on W.I.T.C.H., also a SIP production...
I actually did not know that. Maybe Miraculous Ladybug is actually made by Disney Television Animation ITTL with all the bells and whistles?
Actually saw it back in the day on Karusel, which is the biggest Russian homegrown kids' network. It's a lot of fun! Very possible.
Great!
Yu-Gi-Oh did air on Jetix in Europe. Jetix and 4Kids had some weird sort of connection through Fox, and 4Kids-dubbed shows ran on Jetix in certain regions. Also, Russian Jetix aired Naruto, which is also an interesting bit of trivia.
I thought that Yu-Gi-Oh would air on Jetix in certain European nations, and the unofficial love triangle between Jetix, 4Kids, and Fox is interesting to think about in hindsight, considering shows like Kirby: Right Back at Ya! and all that.
Plus, on Jetix airing Naruto, it would be a big missed opportunity if it wasn't paired up with Pucca and potentially Yin Yang Yo episodes, due to the ninja motif in all three of them.
Eon Kid (or Iron Kid) is an interesting show Jetix atred in certain regions, while we're at it.
Of course, seeing as though it was one of the final shows to air on Kids WB, if not THE last one ever.

Do you mean the post-Samurai seasons of Power Rangers? Those seasons and the re-version of MMPR on ABC Kids could get some airtime as well, before becoming Disney+ exclusives going forward. I mean, those heroes were the biggest draw Jetix ever had, and arguably in general.
Of course, Saban would still buy the franchise back, but this new Jetix would still be the exclusive home for it in exchange for the new Marvel content in production as the new in-house face of the workhorse.
That'd be an interesting arrangement, actually. Though I don't think I completely understood the highlited bit. Jetix owned Saban's Marvel library, that I know.

If a Disney that still operates Jetix gets around to launch Disney+, Jetix could work as a hub within it same way as Star is used in some regions.
I actually did not know that. Maybe Miraculous Ladybug is actually made by Disney Television Animation ITTL with all the bells and whistles?
I'd imagine SIP Animation having a closer relationship with Disney, particularly its Jetix side. Zagtoon, in fact, can be seen as something of a spiritual successor to SIP Animation. The idea of Disney having a major original production house in Europe is interesting.

Maybe SIP could be renamed if Disney gets more control. There was the Jetix Concepts branding - something related to that, probably?

Of course, Saban would still buy the franchise back,
Depends,the main issue Disney have with mmpr is that they never found a place where to re-run it in USA. If Jetix become his own channel there PR become very valuable and they could use the system of selling first run to abc and rerun it on Jetix, that makes for good toy sales thanks to cable rates too

That'd be an interesting arrangement, actually. Though I don't think I completely understood the highlited bit. Jetix owned Saban's Marvel library, that I know.
By this, I meant that Disney wouldn't own Power Rangers after purchasing Marvel, but they would still pay a hefty sum to keep it on their stations, while the Marvel Animation stuff would be Jetix's new brand to squeeze every last drop out of, like The Avengers or Spider-Man or Howard the Duck.
If a Disney that still operates Jetix gets around to launch Disney+, Jetix could work as a hub within it same way as Star is used in some regions.
That would be perfect! That, or it would replace National Geographic in the early marketing.
I'd imagine SIP Animation having a closer relationship with Disney, particularly its Jetix side. Zagtoon, in fact, can be seen as something of a spiritual successor to SIP Animation. The idea of Disney having a major original production house in Europe is interesting.
I couldn't agree more. Maybe one or both of these companies, or a different Disney-owned studio entirely, can co-produce the DuckTales reboot from 2017 as well, since Scrooge McDuck has a surprisingly large fandom in Europe.
Maybe SIP could be renamed if Disney gets more control. There was the Jetix Concepts branding - something related to that, probably?
I think we can call it Disney Television Animation Europe.
Depends,the main issue Disney have with mmpr is that they never found a place where to re-run it in USA. If Jetix become his own channel there PR become very valuable and they could use the system of selling first run to abc and rerun it on Jetix, that makes for good toy sales thanks to cable rates too
Agreed. Plus, it did become more and more obvious that was the intended direction, since Toon Disney itself didn't have much airtime on its own network by the time Disney X.D. was revealed.

By this, I meant that Disney wouldn't own Power Rangers after purchasing Marvel, but they would still pay a hefty sum to keep it on their stations, while the Marvel Animation stuff would be Jetix's new brand to squeeze every last drop out of, like The Avengers or Spider-Man or Howard the Duck
Yep, that's what I had in mind. Thanks for clearing that up.
That would be perfect! That, or it would replace National Geographic in the early marketing.
Disney+ would definitely have a Jetix hub in Europe, since that brand was traditionally very strong over there. Maybe in Latin America as well, and in Asian countries.
Maybe one or both of these companies, or a different Disney-owned studio entirely, can co-produce the DuckTales reboot from 2017 as well, since Scrooge McDuck has a surprisingly large fandom in Europe.
That would be a somewhat different reboot. As far as I can tell, countries where Disney Ducks comics have a strong following tended to be kind of lukewarm on 2017 reboot, despite (or maybe even because) the very obvious and very large amount of inspiration from the various comics.

Disney Television Animation Europe sounds good to me.
Agreed. Plus, it did become more and more obvious that was the intended direction, since Toon Disney itself didn't have much airtime on its own network by the time Disney X.D. was revealed.
Actually, I've had a bit of a problem with all these brainstormings we had in this thread. See, Disney X.D. ended up the spiritual successor to Jetix in some ways, and with the logic that Toon Disney is out and Disney X.D. is in, we have the Disney Channel, Disney X.D. and Jetix. Wouldn't this be spreading oneself too thin in terms of greedy corporate mindset? And does Disney X.D. get to exist outside the United States. Going by Wikipedia, Disney X.D. was to be a bit of a different beast from Jetix:
Disney X.D. was to be slightly different to Jetix, it still mostly focused on the boy demographic, but will have more live-action productions under the Disney banner and will also be a home for Disney's recent animated productions (for both boys and girls), effectively superseding Toon Disney in the United States. In the U.S., the new brand was to be "aimed at boys ages 6-14 and features content focusing on the themes of adventure, accomplishment, gaming, music and sports."
With a still operating Jetix, Disney X.D. sure will turn out a lot differently.

Also, while we're at it, could we throw in a bit of a different path for 4Kids (with the "love triangle" and all)? Towards the end of its life, they were trying to salvage their reputation by openly referring to some of their shows as anime. Who's up for a 4Kids redemption arc?

Last edited: