Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

Could Cats have been saved if it received an overhaul like the Sonic Movie? Or was Cats doomed to fail from the beginning?
With all due respect, Cats is not the kind of work that would lend itself well to a movie adaptation. There's little plot to talk about, what exists on there is nothing more than a framing device for the musical numbers. It is an entirely sung musical, mind you.

Besides, the art direction itself is flawed since it is deeply rooted in uncanny valley. To take an example you brought up, Sonic's initial movie design seems to me as a failed attempt to balance realism and cartoon style. The redesign went into a more stylized direction, which worked because Sonic is after all aesthetically a cartoon character. You can't stylize a living human covered in fur.

Now, there were some concepts for an animated Cats movie back in the day. But, again, considering the source material, I think the best it could hope for is a cult classic flop.

Make some dying company today survive longer (I hope this isn't current politics, but some companies' downfalls start early enough (1980s or prior) to be relevant here).

Make some dying company today survive longer (I hope this isn't current politics, but some companies' downfalls start early enough (1980s or prior) to be relevant here).
At one point, MCI was very competitive with AT&T as a telecommunications company...

What if Joe Simon and Jack Kirby had not picked Leader News to be the comic book distributor for Mainline Comics--their ill-fated self-publishing venture back in 1954. We might very well have witnessed them invent "The Mainline Age of Comics" by the time the 1960s Second Super-Heroic Revivals were in full sway. Mainline Comics most likely would have introduced us in some form to Challengers of the Unknown, The Fly and/or Spider-Man, The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, quite possibly The X-Men, etc. Simon &_Kirby would have owned whatever was created in the early '60s, lock, stock, and barrel.

PNWKing

Banned
Here's a few possibilities:
  • What if Metromedia bought United Artists in 1973?
  • What if General Electric sold NBC to Disney in 1993?
  • What if CNN moved away from pundit-driven programming about 2006?
  • What if MSNBC ran The Today Show?
  • What if Viacom merged with Verizon in 2012?

I was thinking of an alternate timeline for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's a world where Marvel Comics doesn't go bankrupt in 1996, thus they don't have to sell away their movie rights. This leads to an alternate entertainment world for the 2000s, and an attempt to launch an MCU is made in the late 2000s. One that, from the start, has Fantastic Four, X-Men and Spider-Man available from the beginning and without strings attached. Here, I would explore the full ramifications of what it means large and small.

Would this be interesting?

Imagine about if Disney never acquires Star Wars or Lucasfilm, but instead they acquired Back To The Future franchise has led to profound impact that the possible reboot of the franchise will probably to happen within 2010s?

Would it be interesting or quite great idea to make?

Imagine about if Disney never acquires Star Wars or Lucasfilm, but instead they acquired Back To The Future franchise has led to profound impact that the possible reboot of the franchise will probably to happen within 2010s?

Would it be interesting or quite great idea to make?
No chance in Hell, John Landis make sure any sequel or reboot or whatever will be over his deadbody

Reminder to join my collaborative timeline called "A Universal Leap" which talks about unproduced Universal projects. Check it out!