Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

samcster94

Banned
Well, here is my idea: What if Joss Whedon had made a WW movie in the 2000's with a revised version his widely mocked script??? He of course casts someone female from Buffy/Angel/Firefly as the lead. I am actually a fan of much of his work, but I think it would shatter his image earlier and worse than OTL.

Thinking of doing a timeline based on one of the explain the ah quotes that I did... PM if interested. (It's about a decline and fall of a certain musician)

I dunno how to expand it into a full thread, but I've always had this reversal idea of Bruce Timm & Paul Dini doing Marvel animated shows and CAPCOM doing DC games. A few scattered paragraphs and lists are in here... [doc here]

Another development: Greg Weisman heads a DC animated universe post-Gargoyles, coinciding with the launch of Kids WB.

Another development: Greg Weisman heads a DC animated universe post-Gargoyles, coinciding with the launch of Kids WB.
Interesting the changes for Ben 10 and marvel and DC and capcom, feels a little a mirror but one very original enough, those cartoons would have been an amazing treat, the same the games

Was there ever a chance for Mortal Kombat + Marvel? There is a scene in Secret Wars where Dr. Doom removes the spine of Thanos similarly to Sub-Zero's Spine Rip fatality...

Was there ever a chance for Mortal Kombat + Marvel? There is a scene in Secret Wars where Dr. Doom removes the spine of Thanos similarly to Sub-Zero's Spine Rip fatality...
This'd have to have several circumstances leading up to it. Either Midway gains the Marvel license, or Warner somehow ends up buying Marvel instead of DC and also somehow still buying Midway as well. I can see them mostly sticking with darker/Marvel Knights type characters (MK VS MK) like Ghost Rider, the Punisher, Moon Knight, Venom, Wolverine, Deadpool, or villainous ones like Doctor Doom, Magneto, Thanos, Ultron, etc.

This'd have to have several circumstances leading up to it. Either Midway gains the Marvel license, or Warner somehow ends up buying Marvel instead of DC and also somehow still buying Midway as well. I can see them mostly sticking with darker/Marvel Knights type characters (MK VS MK) like Ghost Rider, the Punisher, Moon Knight, Venom, Wolverine, Deadpool, or villainous ones like Doctor Doom, Magneto, Thanos, Ultron, etc.
Yeah the Set of butterflies than leaded up to MKVSDCU was very unique from OTL, those might be impossible to replicated thanks the POD in question, so as ducko say, unless the one ended up buying Midway/Midway-Chicago and Marvel characthers might be the one pulled it... and that is hard to pulled it, so sadly might not happen

Hello.

I posted here one (1) time in another life, with an idea that I’m glad I never got started on. I have since started a new, non-AH project on AO3. But I have finally managed to start reading TWR, and...WOW. How did I miss this the first time? Thank you, Brainbin.

That said, I have developed a great interest in the late 60, and to a lesser extent the nineties grunge culture.

I probably won’t write anything AH myself, but I guess I would have some broad PODs
I am all ears here. Throw them out and I will discuss butterflies/effects. I myself am very interested in the 60's and 90's grunge culture.

Honestly, I don’t want to discuss them too long (I have school and my own work), but one point is what if that alleged meeting between Morrison and Joplin had gone over better...

My friend says it wouldn’t have worked, and she might be right, but I think it’d have been intriguing.

But, I do have a general theory...I’m sorry if saying this somehow ruins anyone else’s scheme, but...

Because there are only so many songs in the world, and many of them have been written already, if any important, talented enough musician who died too young instead survived, I feel like they would end up writing songs that were written in our world, just because they thought of them first. Maybe not the lyrics, but the instrumentation.

And that would unknowingly “steal” the careers of those who would have written them...

Is this plausible?

But, I do have a general theory...I’m sorry if saying this somehow ruins anyone else’s scheme, but...

Because there are only so many songs in the world, and many of them have been written already, if any important, talented enough musician who died too young instead survived, I feel like they would end up writing songs that were written in our world, just because they thought of them first. Maybe not the lyrics, but the instrumentation.

And that would unknowingly “steal” the careers of those who would have written them...

Is this plausible?
Implausible. "Only so many songs in the world"? Doubtful, for there are infinite possibilities in language and in instrumentation. Yes, you have similar chord patterns, but those would not be the same songs. There would be similar themes, but the words would not be the same.
The title might be the same, even, but those would not be the same songs. I don't think that would steal the career.

So, on the subject of pop-culture what-ifs, Polygon just made a whole video about the concept: Namely, about a world where the famous Porygon seizure episode results in the full-on cancellation of the Pokemon anime, without it ever reaching American shores. Without the anime, Pokemon sells much poorer stateside, and is only modestly successful, rather then the megahit of OTL. Bandai smells blood in the water, and takes the opportunity to market Digimon as a competitor. The end result is a timeline where Digimon becomes the dominant force Pokemon failed to be, while Pokemon's franchise ends up stillborn. This has a variety of knock-on effects, both in gaming and in pop culture in general. Watch the video to find out. It gets a bit weird, but it's nice to see pop-culture alt-history pop up in the mainstream.

The bullet points for anyone who doesn't want to watch the full video:
Rather then the town of Topeka Kansas temporarily renaming itself "Topikachu", Montgomery, Alabama, temporarily renames to "Monagumon", as part of marketing itself ahead of its 2001 redevelopment efforts. The city soon plays host to the world's largest Digimon convention, and the eyes on it give this development efforts much more attention. Soon, it becomes a more important city then OTL, and attracts a number of big tech companies to put headquarters there, becoming the Silicon Valley of the South. Without Pokemon to serve as a killer app, the Game Boy ends up in a much weaker position, and, when Bandai brings the Wonderswan stateside, they use Digimon as its Killer App, to great success. Nintendo is no longer on top of the handheld scene. Anime also takes a very different path: With the Pokemon juggernaut replaced with Digimon Adventures (although that's slightly different too: For instance, without Pokemon to spur on anime's popularity before Digimon's airing, they decide to americanize it even more, including changing the names a lot), things are different in anime: For instance, with anime having gotten big stateside a few years later, Disney slacks on the releases of the early Ghibli movies, leaving them much less well-known. Spirited Away isn't even nominated for an Oscar. However, the Digimon anime does have a major impact on animation on both coasts. Serialization and ongoing character arcs, of the sort Digimon had and in the vein of OTL's ATLA or Gravity Falls, catch on in American kid's animation a lot sooner, with lots of shows even having their characters age from season to season. Of course, Digimon Adventures is not free of controversy, in particular over its character designs. WIth Digimon being, typically, a lot more anthropomorphized then Pokemon, and actually able to talk and such, the furry fandom sees a boom period, as kids who grew up on DIgimon join. Deviantart becomes massively popular, even being the 5th most popular social media on the planet as it becomes a hub of both fandoms. Cats gets a movie in 2006, and it's actually good, and quite successful. Meanwhile, back at Nintendo, without Pokemon's workload, Creatures Inc., formerly Ape Inc, is able to focus on another project: Mother 3, which gets released a couple years ahead of schedule, in 2001 rather then 2006, for the N64 instead of the GBA, and in both America and Japan, with Nintendo desperate for a big RPG hit in America. The game is marketed heavily, and becomes a huge hit, receiving critical acclaim, and some controversy for its immensely dark tone, even more so then Mother 3 of our world. This leads Nintendo franchises in general in a more story-focused and darker direction, sorta akin to OTL's Twilight Princess. Also, Animal Crossing never comes to be. Sorry. And, in the wider world of pop culture, without Pokemon to serve as a cash cow, Toei focuses in on bringing its live action properties to America, such as Super Sentai, brought over as Power Rangers in collaboration with Saban, who also did the Digimon dub, and Bandai, already flush with Digimon cash, having the merch rights. It's an even bigger hit then it was IOTL, and Saban becomes a powerhouse of children's media. The X-Men cartoon they made IOTL, even producing new episodes when Marvel went bankrupt? Well, it was meant to be followed up by a Captain America series, but they didn't have the cash. Saban ITTL very much DOES have the cash, thanks to the twin powerhouses of Digimon and Power Rangers. They make a Captain America series, which is heavily super-sentai-influenced, focusing on a team dynamic with the Avengers and even giving them, yes, a giant robot. That series proves to be a hit, and Saban uses the cash to outbid Toy Biz in 1998, buying Marvel, and uses the newfound popularity of the Avengers to start a film franchise, which uses the "Sentai-izing" technique of having different actors for different dubs outside the suits, while keeping the fight scenes the same but dubbed. This is somewhat unpopular with critics, but it sells like hotcakes and becomes a fairly mainstream practice. This sentai influenced direction bleeds in DC's movie output as well, as kaiju battles are now all the rage. The Avengers features Fin Fang Foom as the main villain, while the JLA fight Starro. With a single flap of a Patamon's wings, a whole new media landscape is born...

Last edited: