Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

I was very much aware of that proposal. I'm unsure whether or not GE was interested in CBS as much as it was with NBC, but its interesting nonetheless. It would also be funny (even if implausible) if Viacom ends up acquiring CBS earlier than IOTL instead of acquiring Warner-Amex Television
we need to organize this chain of butterflies..who get who? Turner CBS or NBC? maybe Viacom got CBS and Turner NBC?

we need to organize this chain of butterflies..who get who? Turner CBS or NBC? maybe Viacom got CBS and Turner NBC?
I'm still considering the following, though this may change in the future depending on the circumstance.

1. Viacom buys out CBS during the mid-80s before Turner attempted to buy the network
  2. Afterwords, Turner buys MGM/UA, though maybe a little later than IOTL after some more box-office failures and bad decisions made by Kerkorian
  3. GE and RCA/NBC merge like IOTL
That said, what happens to the Warner-Amex networks (MTV, Nick, Movie Channel) if Viacom already has CBS?

That said, what happens to the Warner-Amex networks (MTV, Nick, Movie Channel)
Maybe another buyer get it? Newscorp? maybe Time-warner keep it and merged it? those are options, other would be them Paramount(still gulf and western) got them? there a lot of possibilites on that regard

Wonder how Turner keeping MGM/UA will affect TBS and TNT later on too

Really digging this idea. If I recall a series of comic books came out around that time OTL. At least I remember reading them around then. They were very graphic and my friends and I had to be sneaky reading them as we were in middle school. 😆 But they could be helpful in figuring out the details of this animated series.

Ah, I remember what you're talking about. The Wildstorm comics from 1998-2000, I read those when I was a little kid (Yay for permissive parents!) and I do intend to include elements from them for inspiration, and it's part of why I picked a POD involving Capcom buying out White Wolf in the mid-1990's.

Another butterfly effect would be that Phil Hartman is still alive in this timeline due to Andy Dick being pulled over for DUI on the night he sold cocaine to Brynn Omdahl in OTL, which results in her mental condition not deteriorating as rapidly as it did in real life, and Hartman separates from her in 1998 when he realizes he can't help her, and the divorce is finalized the following year. Even after the divorce, he pays for her rehab treatment though.

As a consequence, Phil Hartman is one of the voice actors for Resident Evil: The Animated Series, partly due to him working at Fox as a recurring voice on The Simpsons. Hartman's role in this animated series is also his first major serious role and nets him several awards, including the first Emmy for a dramatic role awarded to a voice actor.

The cast of voice actors for Resident Evil: The Animated Series is rather interesting with the following actors in the following roles roles. Many of them would reprise these roles or voice other characters in the other projects of what would become the Capcom Animated Universe.

First appearing in Resident Evil

Chris Redfield: Max Brooks
Jill Valentine: Kelly Sheridan
Barry Burton: Clancy Brown
Rebecca Chambers: Lara Jill Miller
Albert Wesker: Phil Hartman
Brad Vickers: Billy West (using the same voice he uses for Philip J. Fry)
Richard Aiken: Hank Azaria

First appearing in Resident Evil 2

Claire Redfield: Alyson Court
Leon S. Kennedy: Joshua Seth
Sherry Birkin: Lisa Yamanaka
Ada Wong: Grey DeLisle
Brian Irons: Mark Hamill
Annette Birkin: Mary Elizabeth McGlynn
William Birkin: Bryan Cranston
Marvin Branagh: Phil LaMarr
Ben Bertolucci: Seth MacFarlane
HUNK: David Hayter

First Appearing in Resident Evil 3

Carlos Olivera: Carlos Alazraqui
Nikolai Zinoviev: Steve Blum
Mikhail Victor: Yuri Lowenthal
Nemesis: Steve Blum

I only used professional voice actors or celebrities who were both active at the time or they had prior and extensive experience in voice acting at the time such as Phil Hartman, Clancy Brown, Bryan Cranston, and Mark Hamill

Max Brooks was a voice actor in the late 1990's and early 2000's in real life, and was in several DC Animated Universe shows like Batman Beyond. I figured the author of the Zombie Survival Guide should be the voice of the main hero of the franchise that revived the zombie genre and make it go from a niche exploitation horror sub-genre to part of mainstream pop culture.

(28 Days Later, the movie that is often credited with starting the zombie revival, was directly inspired by the early Resident Evil games)

Last edited:
Maybe another buyer get it? Newscorp? maybe Time-warner keep it and merged it? those are options, other would be them Paramount(still gulf and western) got them? there a lot of possibilites on that regard

Wonder how Turner keeping MGM/UA will affect TBS and TNT later on too
News Corp probably wouldn't as they're too concentrated of FOX (though I'm unsure if I want to have them still acquire 20th Century Fox or not as I don't know who else would buy them) and Warner got rid of it due to financial issues, so I don't think either.

News Corp probably wouldn't as they're too concentrated of FOX (though I'm unsure if I want to have them still acquire 20th Century Fox or not as I don't know who else would buy them) and Warner got rid of it due to financial issues, so I don't think either.
Could be a new buyer, maybe an earlier sinclair or someone else, so is up to the air. Maybe Sony? they could get fox over columbia, or could took the chance(and bubble money) and buy warner-amex channels

I think a bigger unicorn is having it run after the watershed. Dr Who always was a childrens' program. The UK memory of it is that children ran behind the sofa to hide from the monsters. OK the US watershed is different from the UK one. US allows much more violence (see the US version of Tomorrow People) but the UK can do more normal relationships but still I think that would be a show stopper.

A belated agreement with you on this. The more research I've been doing, the more I've realized my initial estimate was very off the mark. In particular, the fan backlash in the UK over the (very minor IMO) censorship of Buffy "back in the day" has been fascinating to dig into. The WB/BBC having a cultural clash over what they want from the show seems like a rich vein of material to tap. (It's fascinating how often Buffy keeps coming up as a touchstone in the period, honestly. I knew it was influential but didn't fully appreciate the sheer shadow it cast.)

One thing I'm still on the hunt for is a good protagonist, someone central to the production side of things but who can fuel a character narrative that the rest of the timeline can be built around. One issue is that, while Doctor Who's production history is thoroughly documented by various researchers/fans, Supernatural's production history has much thinner and scattershot documentation. The coverage of its upcoming finale has helped, but otherwise I'm having to do a deep dive into the Wayback Machine to locate dead websites from the mid-2000s. And most fan analysis focuses on the show's content, not its production, so it's been a lot of compiling off-hand references to that stuff when I find it. The slow death of LiveJournal (and text-centric fandom) and shift to tumblr (and image-centric fandom) over the same period hasn't helped.

Can I ask a simple and honest question?

What do you think about collaborative TLs? Do you think they're good, do they need some improvements, or they're just as bad as the coronavirus and should be avoided at all costs?

Can I ask a simple and honest question?

What do you think about collaborative TLs? Do you think they're good, do they need some improvements, or they're just as bad as the coronavirus and should be avoided at all costs?

Honestly, it depends on the subject of the TL, who's collaborating with who, and how well they stay informed and coordinated

or they're just as bad as the coronavirus and should be avoided at all costs?
This, the issue of collaborative is tend to degenrated into own writer utopia or dystopia fucking the other plans, write yourself, is your story, your ideas, what you think the butterflies wind will flow and so on

Collaborative timelines are like improv or a writers room. The best improv ones are good at “Yes, And?” and the writers know each other well enough to riff, the best writers room ones have someone in charge (as noted above by Nivek). But like just throwing the floor open rarely goes anywhere.

MONTAGE
Insert classic heist movie assembling the team scenes.

Is not collaborative. @Megafighter3 is the absolute writer and he approve or vetoe anything he want, and we just give suggestion and discuss ideas with him(i would say he have the balls to stuck up the plot points he wants, even if very ridiculous or out of the left field at times)

Hey, I killed off Reb Brown's character because I knew it was ridiculous to have him in a major blockbuster movie alongside Arnold and Stallone.

Hey, I killed off Reb Brown's character because I knew it was ridiculous to have him in a major blockbuster movie alongside Arnold and Stallone.
And i don't hold you against it, that is an example of you being the TL author and you using it to show where to draw the line, something @Blaster Master surely need to act at times.

Still some of your videogame choices are more questionable but is your TL, your call and i respected it

I've participated in collaborative threads. They can be a good way to get started if you are new. That said, everyone needs to be on the same page. Personally, I prefer working alone.

Ash Vs Evil Dead Happened early? The series would have been perfect for Showtime in the 90's, and big when Evil dead was very popular, even in Starz/Fox Premium used to be very popular before was cancelled a little early

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr would be a tough loss. Alternatively it does big and that helps Bruce Campbell get Evil Dead going in the late 90s?