Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by vultan, Jan 25, 2012.

1. OldNavy1988 Well-Known Member

I only ask if anyone else besides Eisner was a good fit to pull Disney out of its 70's & 80's slump because I've been thinking of rebooting American Magic for a while.

Thought of Jim Henson because his agent (or attorney) Bernie Brillstein claimed that Jim was interested in buying the studio a year or so before Eisner came aboard.

Part 1: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/leg/?legacyasppage=News-ID115360.asp
    Part 2: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/leg/?legacyasppage=News-PID115360-115361.asp

Thought of Nolan Bushnell because of claims made IOTL that he was a huge Disney buff or what have you.
    https://www.micechat.com/169196-season-pass-podcast-nolan-bushnell-tea-summit-day-one/

2. Nivek Mental Anime,Videogames,Football And Baseball Fan

I doubt he even have the money, specially after the labyrinth bombed

OldNavy1988 likes this.
  3. OldNavy1988 Well-Known Member

@Nivek

I think you're right.

Maybe I should just invent a fictional dude?

4. Goldwind2 Well-Known Member

I heard that micheal jackson was intrested in buying disney

5. loneranger Kicked

What if Stephen King died in his 1999 car wreck?

TheDetailer likes this.
  6. Megafighter3 The Mad Scientist of Wrestling TLs

Would he have had the money around that time?

Nivek likes this.
  7. Nivek Mental Anime,Videogames,Football And Baseball Fan

He did have good money and chance to get it(specially after apple corps records) but still is a little strech too.

8. OldNavy1988 Well-Known Member

@Megafighter3
    @Nivek

Would it be a better idea to just invent a fictional character to have the cash to buy the studio?

9. Nivek Mental Anime,Videogames,Football And Baseball Fan

Why no Sony? Disney is far more tempting Columbia

Electric Monk and OldNavy1988 like this.
  10. Electric Monk Does Your Believing For You

In a world…
    In a land…

In a county…?

Imperial County

2020​

”The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Mirrorshades”

High Concept
    What if Jimmy Carter wasn’t elected?

Log Line
    It’s nineteen eighty-six: let’s take a look at pop culture and technology, with a dash of politics, in that flipped universe.

Jonbar Hinge
    Robert Altman’s Nashville influences the arc of a Justice—America will never be the same.

Elevator Pitch
    A trawl without nostalgia into the detritus and deities of the eighties reimagined; a west coast focused examination of movies and computers and politicians; hey maybe (a few) better things are possible.

Status Update
    Picked up straight to series on treatment & first season episode by episode outlines. Minor casting continuing. Pilot filming, five scripts commissioned.

Questions & Answers
    The floor is open!

Alas my relentless boosterism of Mo Udall in combination with how good @Yes and McGoverning is have made me want to focus in deep on a Udall ‘76 Presidency instead of using it as backdrop… but also it’s bumped it back a spot in favour of pop culture extravaganza. So this project!

The basic premise of this is centred around digging into the many known possible ways the films could have been made—alternate directors and actors and production companies and so on—which is yes and deliberately a cheat because this way there’s lots of info already existing about those never made versions or at all films, Hollywood isn’t in the basis of reality after all :). However otherwise very much hard alternate history for technology + games with one large opening butterfly; likewise for politics, one big butterfly to open things up and the ramifications of that—obviously lol

I’m very excited for y’all to see it soon!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019 at 6:49 PM
  11. Nivek Mental Anime,Videogames,Football And Baseball Fan

Who was? Ford or other D? we would get reagan anyway with other D, with Ford...WELL...

12. Electric Monk Does Your Believing For You

Well indeed. It’s a classic heavily discussed change—with a twist—though only a few often excellent but unfinished timelines that actually used it.
    Second Choice Contender
    View attachment 500860
    “I got to know Bob Dole when he was Senate leader and he was a very funny guy. But he didn’t come across that way in that campaign. And that was a very, very close campaign. It wouldn’t have taken much for a Ford victory—a shift of 6,000 votes in Ohio and 3,000 in Hawaii.”

Personally I think there’s enough players around that you don’t need to. Drop me a PM, I’ll see what relevant books I have—should be able to dig up some potential :).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019 at 2:34 PM
    OldNavy1988 likes this.
  13. Nivek Mental Anime,Videogames,Football And Baseball Fan

yeah i rememeber a lot of TL pushing for ford 1976(that is a disaster for the dems,even with watergate, they loss the presidency.) but no one finishing it sadly

14. NoName Well-Known Member

Here's a recent idea I came up with: what if there was no Dreamworks?

First, let's talk about how Dreamworks started up IOTL. After breaking up with Don Bluth, Steven Spielberg started his own animation studio called Amblimation that made three films: An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story, and Balto. The studio was also going to do an adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats that never saw the light of day. Spielberg then shut down Amblimation before teaming up with Jeffrey Katzenberg (who had just left Disney after fighting with Michael Eisner) and David Geffen to form Dreamworks.

Let's say ITTL, Amblimation continues to run, releasing Cats in 1997 and a different version of Shrek in 1999 (this version is hand-drawn and stars Bill Murray as the titular ogre and Steve Martin as Donkey). Meanwhile, Katzenberg stays at Disney (maybe we can butterfly Frank Wells' death, since that's what led to his turmoil with Eisner IOTL). What different creative decisions do you think Disney would've made had Katzenberg stayed?

Maybe after the failure of Titan AE, Don Bluth could leave Fox and join Amblimation, thus reuniting with Spielberg?

15. ANARCHY_4_ALL Evolution and The Revolution

I like this but could we get a different SNL duo for Shrek and Donkey... Chris Farley and David Spade(or Dana Carvey).

16. NoName Well-Known Member

Murray and Martin were the first choices for the characters back then, according to most sources.

17. NoName Well-Known Member

So, I've been thinking about TTL's version of Shrek and how it would differ from OTL's version (besides being hand-drawn and having different voice actors), especially since my family once owned the William Steig children's book it was inspired by.

Of course, Amblimation's three films were all over the map in tone and style. Would TTL's Shrek be a cartoony musical like Fievel Goes West and We're Back, or a non-musical drama like Balto? I guess it depends on whether Phil Nibbelink would co-direct or not.

EDIT: Also, here's an early piece of concept art of how the titular character would probably look in this version.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019 at 10:57 PM