Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

In the spirit of That Wacky Redhead and a couple hours work on this stupid phone (I miss my computer :() I have found a way for Gerald Ford to be re-elected via a TV show. I'm rather self-satisfied about it too :).

In the spirit of That Wacky Redhead and a couple hours work on this stupid phone (I miss my computer :() I have found a way for Gerald Ford to be re-elected via a TV show. I'm rather self-satisfied about it too :).

Yes losing the pc is horible, but better taking his time with a good timeline than rush the thing and lose quality.

Hehehe...Wait...What? that is even possible? Jerry Ford comeback to the white house? that would avoid us even both Bush... you want to make your timeline a Utopia right? A Sega-Panasonic Alliance? The Triforce of Nintendo-Apple-Sony and Max Headroom and now this....

Hehehe...Wait...What? that is even possible? Jerry Ford comeback to the white house? that would avoid us even both Bush... you want to make your timeline a Utopia right? A Sega-Panasonic Alliance? The Triforce of Nintendo-Apple-Sony and Max Headroom and now this....

Well better, yes. In the background. Jerry Ford is one of the easiest possible people to have win in 1976. It'll take out the first Bush certainly (he's happy being in charge of the CIA for another four years) and it'll likely take out Bush the son as well.

As for the timeline proper some things will be the same, others will be different, and there's a longer stretch of time to play which will also effect things.

Well better, yes. In the background. Jerry Ford is one of the easiest possible people to have win in 1976. It'll take out the first Bush certainly (he's happy being in charge of the CIA for another four years) and it'll likely take out Bush the son as well.

As for the timeline proper some things will be the same, others will be different, and there's a longer stretch of time to play which will also effect things.

Yes Jerry have carisma and avoid all the Nixon bad image pretty well, and we don't have to say us lie... Michael Dukakis will not fare better than OTL(even he was a Sacrifical Lamb), and with maybe some good publicity Stun.. a Transitional Jerry(because not republican will won again in 1992... well maybe him), but as I say before.. that will worth the souls of the Japanese in the Godzilla Shake...

Heck that can be title for the Timeline.. The Godzilla Shake: How Videogames, Pop Culture and Politics Tremble

Only proper timelines are in the opening post although I did a big round-up of pop culture threads early on. I did miss the thread you linked (it is, of course Doctor Who related) and thinking back there's a bunch of Star Trek, TV, and movie threads I missed as well. If no one else does it In the meantime, whenever I have a computer again I'll trawl a little more deeply for those.

Michael Dukakis will not fare better than OTL(even he was a Sacrifical Lamb)

I disagree pretty strongly. Dukakis was not a good candidate, obviously, but I would argue that he wasn't inherently any weaker than, say, George H.W. Bush, no charisma-machine himself.

In fact, I've argued here previously that the circumstances leading to Bush '88 IOTL were almost ASB -- basically, it involved Dukakis having to fire one of the very best political minds of his generation (John Sasso) and replacing him with inexperienced drooling moron Susan Estrich.

Butterfly away the "Biden tape," keep Sasso as campaign manager, and I think you're looking at President Dukakis in 1988, probably with a map that's at least this good:

genusmap.php

Michael Dukakis/Lloyd Bentsen (Democratic) -- 272 EV
George H.W. Bush/J. Danforth Quayle (Republican) -- 266 EV

Plus, I think a sensible Dukakis campaign could have won Ohio (23 EV), New Hampshire (4 EV), Missouri (11 EV), and possibly Florida (21 EV). I do think pretty much any Democratic nominee will get shut out in the rest of the South in '88, though, but the nice thing about the electoral vote map is that it doesn't matter. (Note also that West Virginia hasn't realigned in 1988 and is still reliably Democratic; it actually went for Dukakis IOTL. (!))

Come on, you guys. Debating alternate presidential election results and posting electoral maps? This thread is supposed to be an oasis from that sort of thing :p There are no shortage of threads about the electability of Dukakis, or alternate 1988 elections.

Not to single out the very fine map and analysis you made, Andrew. But it's still about the dreaded War And Politics ;)

Last edited:
Batman: The Dark Knight In The Movies

So, in the spirit of fostering discussion about popular culture, and helping to shepherd this thread away from War-And-Politics, let's talk about Batman.

More specifically, let's talk about how he might make it to the big screen, in the post-Adam West era. Of the many possibilities bandied about, a few seem near-constant: a self-consciously "serious" interpretation of the Dark Knight, to counteract the farce and camp of the 1960s TV series; a dark, stylish, noir-influenced atmosphere; and emphasis on "mature" themes.

How else might Batman have arrived on the big screen, if not in its OTL form? Who would the major players have been? Would there have been any specific influences, different from those of OTL? How would the film be received? What would potential sequels look like? Would there be spin-offs or spiritual successors, like the beloved Timm/Dini Animated Series?

A lot of intriguing possibilities here...

Glen

So, in the spirit of fostering discussion about popular culture, and helping to shepherd this thread away from War-And-Politics, let's talk about Batman.

More specifically, let's talk about how he might make it to the big screen, in the post-Adam West era. Of the many possibilities bandied about, a few seem near-constant: a self-consciously "serious" interpretation of the Dark Knight, to counteract the farce and camp of the 1960s TV series; a dark, stylish, noir-influenced atmosphere; and emphasis on "mature" themes.

How else might Batman have arrived on the big screen, if not in its OTL form? Who would the major players have been? Would there have been any specific influences, different from those of OTL? How would the film be received? What would potential sequels look like? Would there be spin-offs or spiritual successors, like the beloved Timm/Dini Animated Series?

A lot of intriguing possibilities here...

Well, there is this Batman in Film tid-bit from Wikipedia -

"Producers Michael Uslan and Benjamin Melniker purchased the film rights of Batman from DC Comics in April 1979. It was Uslan's wish "to make the definitive, dark, serious version of Batman, the way Bob Kane and Bill Finger had envisioned him in 1939. A creature of the night; stalking criminals in the shadows."[3] Richard Maibaum was approached to write a script with Guy Hamilton to direct, but the two turned down the offer. Uslan was unsuccessful with pitching Batman to various movie studios because they wanted the film to be similar to the campy 1960s TV series. Columbia Pictures and United Artists were among those to turn down the film.[4]

A disappointed Uslan then wrote a script titled Return of the Batman to give the film industry a better idea of his vision for the film. Uslan later compared its dark tone to that of The Dark Knight Returns, which his script pre-dated by six years.[3] In November 1979, producers Jon Peters and Peter Guber joined the project.[5] The four producers felt it was best to pattern the film's development after that of Superman (1978).[6] Uslan, Melniker and Guber pitched Batman to Universal Pictures, but the studio turned it down.[7] Though no movie studios were yet involved, in late 1981 the project was publicly announced with a budget of $15 million. Warner Bros. decided to accept Batman.[8]

Tom Mankiewicz completed a script titled The Batman in June 1983, focusing on Batman and Dick Grayson's origins, with the Joker and Rupert Thorne as villains, and Silver St. Cloud as the romantic interest.[9] Mankiewicz took inspiration from the limited series Batman: Strange Apparitions (ISBN 1-56389-500-5), written by Steve Englehart.[10] Comic book artist Marshall Rogers, who worked with Englehart on Strange Apparitions, was hired for concept art.[7] The Batman was then announced in late 1983 for a mid-1985 release date on a budget of $20 million. Originally, Uslan had wanted an unknown actor for Batman, William Holden for James Gordon, and David Niven as Alfred Pennyworth.[8] Holden died in 1981 and Niven in 1983, so this would never come to pass. A number of filmmakers were attached to Mankiewicz' script, including Ivan Reitman and Joe Dante.[11] Nine rewrites were performed by nine separate writers. Most of them were based on Strange Apparitions. However it was Mankiewicz' script that was still being used to guide the project.[12]"

So, if you want to be minimalist, it seems that the earliest you'd get a movie would be around the very early 1980s, probably 1981-2 as the most practical 'earliest' time. If the people initially being approached had accepted, I can imagine Batman having James Bond feel to it - playboy billionaire playing Bacarat by day, crushing crime with caped panache at night. Interestingly, it looks like there were more ideas as to the supporting cast than the Bat.

Here is another potential pop cultural POD:
(https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=215322)

Donkey Kong Was Originally A Popeye Game

Miyamoto says Nintendo's main monkey might not have existed

Donkey Kong is one of the most iconic games characters of all time but he may not have existed had Nintendo followed their original idea.

In the latest 'Iwata Asks' interview, Shigeru Miyamoto admits that Donkey Kong was originally meant to be a Popeye game. "I sketched out a few ideas for games using Popeye," said Miyamoto. "At that point, Yokoi-san was good enough to bring these ideas to the President's attention and in the end one of the ideas received official approval. Yokoi-san thought that designers would become necessary members of development teams in order to make games in the future. And that's how Donkey Kong came about."

"But originally it was going to be a Popeye game," Iwata continued.

"That's right," Miyamoto responded. "But while I can't recall exactly why it was, we were unable to use Popeye in that title. It really felt like the ladder had been pulled out from under us, so to speak."

"It was a really lucky break! So next we began to flesh out the idea for a game based on the concept we had come up with."

Imagine a world without Donkey Kong. No Donkey Kong would mean no Jumpman. And without Jumpman we wouldn't have Mario!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popeye_(video_game)

http://www.officialnintendomagazine....a-popeye-game/

An Alternate Rise of the Blockbuster is updated and boy, is it a long one this time.
I thought you meant there was another update, you got my hopes up.

But wanting to jump on this bandwagon. I'm considering an TL where Orson Welles is butterflied out of existence. And instead an ATL twin is born several years later. But Idk if I will do that but I do want to do something. With an alternate director, I just don't know who. I was thinking of an American Akira Kurosawa or Sergei Eisenstien. Any ideas?

Figured it out. My TL-I will begin writing shortly will concern, James Morrison. Instead of maintaining his interest in music and starting the Doors. He continues on his path in film-making, using his talents in writing for scripts and screenplays. Eventually belonging to the same group of directors as Steven Speilberg, George Lucas, James Cameron, etc. What do you guys think? Any speculation or criticism?

It certainly sounds interesting. Is there any information on what of scripts/film he was interested in?

And, of course, how will this effect Star Trek? :)

It certainly sounds interesting. Is there any information on what of scripts/film he was interested in?

I wondered this as well but mostly I foresee he will make a group of socially and artistically relevant films. And most likely ventures into the predominant genres of the decades. Basically Oliver Stone in the 70's and 80's.

What do you guys think? Any speculation or criticism?
What's interesting is that your timeline will likely have a POD in 1965 - making it earlier than any of ours (including mine, by about a year).

Assuming that you don't make it some formative incident from Morrison's childhood or the like, that is, which pushes it back even farther.

Definitely looking forward to your take on the late 1960s and early 1970s, naturally.

Excellent question, Electric Monk ;)

It may well be early enough to save the original pilot, even!