Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

I was thinking one of the New Hollywood-ers. But I noticed you said early 70's. If it was late 70's, John Milius would be my odd choice. But for early-mid 70's maybe Ridley Scott.

I was thinking one of the New Hollywood-ers. But I noticed you said early 70's. If it was late 70's, John Milius would be my odd choice. But for early-mid 70's maybe Ridley Scott.
Ridley Scott could work for the Mid 70s but in the early 70s he was mainly doing commercials and the occasional design work. For New Hollywood-ers I think that Martin Scorsese or Johnthan Demme (who technically isn't New Hollywood but had proved his directing chops by that point). If Akria Kursosawa starts getting American funding this could affect the Japanese film industry and make the quick,cheap and dirty model that most studios operated on change. It would be interesting to see the effects on film makers like Kinji Fukusaku or Nagshima Oshima.

Ridley Scott could work for the Mid 70s but in the early 70s he was mainly doing commercials and the occasional design work. For New Hollywood-ers I think that Martin Scorsese or Johnthan Demme (who technically isn't New Hollywood but had proved his directing chops by that point). If Akria Kursosawa starts getting American funding this could affect the Japanese film industry and make the quick,cheap and dirty model that most studios operated on change. It would be interesting to see the effects on film makers like Kinji Fukusaku or Nagshima Oshima.
For some reason I thought the Duelists was made in the early 70's. But what about John Milius? His style fits very well with the Godzilla universe.

For some reason I thought the Duelists was made in the early 70's. But what about John Milius? His style fits very well with the Godzilla universe.
Yeah John Milius works after 1973 (he wrote and directed Dillenger) which works well enough. I don't know about before 1973 since you have odd number of up and coming directors around that time.

We can always start a collaborative one. Send me a PM if you guys have any ideas.

In my pop culture TL American Magic, after Martin Goodman sold Marvel to Walt, Stan has sat on the Disney board of directors ever since.
This was my only comics thread of late. Not sure what decade would be best. The critical POD in his life, ofc, is the writing of Fantastic Four. But from what I've read if he didn't do that he would've quit the biz, and idk how good of a TL that would've been.

This was my only comics thread of late. Not sure what decade would be best. The critical POD in his life, ofc, is the writing of Fantastic Four. But from what I've read if he didn't do that he would've quit the biz, and idk how good of a TL that would've been.

How about if Max Gaines sold All American to Martin Goodman?

Hello everyone, I've stumbled onto this thread and since this is all about discussing Pop Culture TLs, I would like to take the time to discuss a new idea concerning an alternate pop culture timeline, kicking off sometime between 1999 or 2000. Inspired by @President_Lincoln's BSiC and @OldNavy1988's American Magic, the timeline would detail a more widely successful, optimistic, and golden-age-like history of Popular Culture, Fiction, and other Media. The timeline is so far focused on taking place within the 2000s and 2010s, with no central-main PoD, though an election of Al Gore as president in 2001 alongside a failed 9/11 could provide to be a good candidate for one.

@King_Arthur and @historybuff have both expressed interest in this timeline, along with some others on the BSiC thread, so I decided to bring forth my concept here on this thread incase anybody else is interested. Any feedback is appreciated greatly.

As for what to expect if this TL makes it off the ground, then I will provide the ideas here in this spoiler;

• A waaay more critically and financially successful DCEU, with them rivaling Marvel in a ‘film cold war’.
  • Richard Harris, Heath Ledger, Robin Williams, Edd Gould, Daniel Kyre, and many others all live longer/survive.
  • The internet becomes even more popular than IOTL, with the userbase growth being faster by around 5 years. Webtoons, Webcomics, and Webseries gain a larger presence as a result of this, with many gaining a fanbase on par with something like Penny Arcade, Eddsworld, or Homestuck. I’d call this the ‘Internet Explosion’, or Tsunami, or something equally sudden-sounding.
  • M. Night Shyamalan has a better career ITTL, with his overconfidence nor his ego taking over his creative visions.
  • Many underrated films become the complete opposite ITTL, becoming critically and financially successful.
  • Alot of good war movies on the 75th and 100th-year anniversaries of World War II.
  • A more loyal Harry Potter film series, i.e Peeks the Poltergeist makes it in, the Prisoner of Azkaban and first half of Goblet of Fire have a more colorful color pallet like the first two films, there are more flashbacks relating to the Mauarders and Voldemort, a better portrayal of Harry and Ginny’s relationship, etc.
  • Indie music and bands like Sigur Ros, the Lumineers, the Middle East, and Jon Bellion gain more significant followings.
  • Pretty Little Liars becomes darker.
  • Darth Maul is an assassin, rather than Palpatine's apprentice.
  • There will be Silent Hills game made by Konami!
  • I have no major ideas for anime or manga just yet, though I have thought of Junji Ito making a name for himself by doing a collaboration with a western author or movie director, most likely Guillermo del Toro.
  • A less greenlight-happy Netflix.
  • The Simpsons and Family Guy probably end before 2020.
  • Maybe something related to Kaisereich or some other extremely popular alternate history work, I had an idea for a television series possibly inspired by KSR’s Years of Rice and Salt, or a fictional documentary on the world of 1983: Doomsday or Reds!
  • Creepypastas might get a sweet share of the pie too, with Penpal and The Showers coming to mind.

What if the movie version of Apt Pupil sticks closer to the original novella, where (highlight for spoiler): Mr. French is killed by Todd, who goes on a killing spree before being shot down by the police?

Methinks that movie would be seen as an example of Harsher In Hindsight, given what happened the year after Apt Pupil came out in Colorado...

Another WI: WI Brian Wilson never sees the movie Seconds (1966) with Rock Hudson? IOTL, it made his mental breakdown worse, to the point that he ended SMiLE and thought that Phil Spector (who was an investor in the movie) was insulting him using the movie...