Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

This might be implausible, but a random idea I had (and am thinking about starting a DBWI about) is the idea of George Orwell somehow getting involved with the Inklings, the Oxford literary discussion group that included J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. Any thoughts?

This might be implausible, but a random idea I had (and am thinking about starting a DBWI about) is the idea of George Orwell somehow getting involved with the Inklings, the Oxford literary discussion group that included J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. Any thoughts?

Orwell did have a brief tenure as a secondary school professor IOTL, but considering he was pretty poor in academics I doubt he would have ever achieved the skills necessary to become a university professor.

Has anybody ever attempted a TL with ABBA not breaking up / breaking up later?

Because it is not as they had run out of ideas, I love this 1982recorded / 1993 published song:

Last edited:
Has anybody ever attempted a TL with ABBA not breaking up / breaking up later?

Because it is not as they had run out of ideas, I love this 1982recorded / 1993 published song:
The original plan was that in 1982, an album (which many have called Opus 10) would be released featuring the singles that were eventually placed on the Greatest Hits compilation.

Presumably, it would take a cancellation of the Chess musical and the Gemini projects to have enough songs for a potential 1985/96 album. This would have included I Know Him So Well and a new version of Just Like That. It would have needed Agnetha to get on board, since Frida (having made appearances with Benny and Bjorn) around the time of the Chess concept album, would have been definitely been more willing than she was in 1982.

What if Selena Quntilliana Perez had not been murdered by the president of her fan club in 1995? How famous could she have become?

What if Selena Quntilliana Perez had not been murdered by the president of her fan club in 1995? How famous could she have become?

The way I see it, there's a whole range of possibilities for Selena's career post-1995. I'll try to boil it down to three.

Worst Case Scenario: The floor for Selena's career is probably that her crossover album comes out in 1995, but unlike IOTL, it doesn't have her death to boost sales/notoriety. It does all right, probably charting in the top 20, but doesn't do well enough to launch her into national prominence. She probably gains a bit of national prominence during the late 90s Latin boom, with perhaps another top 20 album, but is largely overshadowed by the other hot artists of the day and fades quickly into obscurity. She remains regionally famous to an extent and is probably performing concerts in Texas and Mexico as of the present day, but remains almost exclusively a Texas phenomenon and most people don't really know of her.

Most Likely Scenario: The happy medium between Selena's floor and Selena's ceiling is that her crossover album launches and is a success. It might not be able to make it to #1 without the boost from her death, but it still charts highly and launches her into national prominence. However, she doesn't truly hit the peak of her fame until the late 90s, when she becomes one of the biggest names of the Latin boom and probably its most prominent female star. She has at least one #1 song, possibly more, and a #1 album in 1998 or 1999. She performs some duets with people like Marc Anthony and probably does some songs with Santana, either on Supernatural or Shaman. The Latin boom brings worldwide fame to Selena and she might even end up in one or two movies during this time. However, she would ultimately end up being overshadowed by the growth of hip hop in the 2000s, unable to cross over into the new musical styles. She fades from the mainstream but remains a popular figure, comparable to Ricky Martin. Even today, she's still popular enough to sell out arenas when she tours, though she's not really charting anymore except perhaps on the Latin charts. She's still a legend in Texas, and is capable of selling out even the biggest arenas when she performs there. Most people know of her, similarly to Gloria Estefan, but she's not really considered an iconic musical figure outside of her home turf.

Best Case Scenario: This is the scenario I've explored in my timeline Player Two Start, where pretty much everything breaks right for her. Her 1995 crossover album is still a megahit, perhaps even MORE successful than it was IOTL since she's still alive to promote it and go on tour. It reaches #1 on the charts and at least one song from it hits #1 as well, launching her into superstardom immediately. Her success arguably kicks off the Latin boom a few years early, making songs like Macarena even MORE popular than they were IOTL, and her next album, which comes in 1997, is also a major hit. She becomes THE pre-eminent artist of the Latin boom, becoming as big in the late 1990s and early 2000s as Taylor Swift is today, with multiple #1 hits and an album that launches during the peak of the Latin boom and sells well over a million copies in its first week. Her fame even extends the Latin boom well into the 2000s, delaying the rise of hip-hop and perhaps even causing a bit of a crossover between the two genres. Latin artists that you've probably never heard of IOTL become famous as a residual effect of the boom, and even after her popularity peaks, Selena remains an iconic artist throughout the world. She crosses over into multiple forms of entertainment, acting in films and even starting her own recording studio, becoming a producer in addition to continuing to perform music and sell out arenas all over the place many years after her career peaks. As of 2018, she remains extremely popular, her albums continue to top the charts the week of their releases, and her songs still crack the top 40 with regularity. She's become a true icon like Mariah Carey or even Madonna, being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. And in her native Texas, she's even more famous: an Elvis-like figure revered with almost a godlike level of fervor.

With someone as talented and charismatic as Selena was, and considering that her career would have likely peaked at the perfect time (right at the cusp of the late 90s Latin boom), her ceiling was truly unlimited. It's a shame she was cut down so early in her life.

I always wondered what would happen if Super Mario Bros 2 was the same everywhere instead of the USA changing another game to SMB2. Like, what if every country got the Japanese version.

I'm curious what would've happened if the first Final Fantasy flopped. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the name came about because. Hironobu Sakaguchi felt like his last chance in the games industry?

Would its failure grind the JRPG subgenre to a halt, or would it merely be a major speedbump?

I'm curious what would've happened if the first Final Fantasy flopped. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the name came about because. Hironobu Sakaguchi felt like his last chance in the games industry?

Would its failure grind the JRPG subgenre to a halt, or would it merely be a major speedbump?
He already have a contract to work with nintendo for Sakamoto visual novel 'Tokimeki High School' and he helped that part promotional, part visual novel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakayama_Miho_no_Tokimeki_High_School, so if FF bombed and Square got under...Sakaguchi might work with Sakamoto in the visual novel space.

There already Dragon Quest and Tengai Makyou in japan so RPG will flourish, maybe dragon quest will be the RPG worldwide, or some other(either one of Enix, Telenet or other developer) would fill the FF niche or just RPG being more japan only for a long time.

maybe dragon quest will be the RPG worldwide,

Dragon Quest is WAY too niche to ever succeed in the West without Final Fantasy to jumpstart the genre. Nintendo tried its best to make Dragon Quest happen, promoting it heavily in Nintendo Power and even giving the game away at one point(!), but, like Gretchen Wieners and "fetch", it wasn't going to happen.

Phantasy Star or Tales Of Phantasia could have possibly made it in the West in a Square-less world. Maybe Terranigma (Nintendo promoted the hell out of Illusion Of Gaia), since I imagine Enix has more money to localize games like that without Square as a competitor sucking away some of their cash. If not those games, I don't see the JRPG genre ever succeeding in the West, and it probably takes until Morrowind before a console RPG gains traction here, assuming Morrowind even exists with all those butterflies floating around. I imagine the WRPG genre breaks through eventually even if Final Fantasy fails (the Lord Of The Rings trilogy I imagine still gets made, and that would inspire something), but unless one of the aforementioned Japanese games makes it, I doubt JRPGs succeed here. Final Fantasy VII was the game that finally got them popular here, they were niche even in the Final Fantasy VI/Chrono Trigger days.

, I don't see the JRPG genre ever succeeding in the West, a
Till Pokémon but Pokémon is something else So that must account different, so if Pokémon comes all JRPG would be in the monster battling Niche.

Phantasy Star or Tales Of Phantasia could have possibly made it in the West in a Square-less world. Maybe Terranigma (Nintendo promoted the hell out of Illusion Of Gaia),
And star ocean, as mother still exist but that was itoi baby.

It's worth noting that Dragon Quest
1. Did Monster Capturing before Pokemon
2. Came out at the same time as one of the Zelda's

It's worth noting that Dragon Quest
1. Did Monster Capturing before Pokemon
2. Came out at the same time as one of the Zelda's
Yeah but as Ry said, failed to win traction in the west but 1. is incorrect, as Megami Tensei in NES pulled the monster capturing before anyone(YOU COULD SAY Yuji Hoori inspired on that idea) in 1988, but yeah was something the series came at the same time of zelda and in japan was the boom of Adventure game(in japan Zelda outsold the original dragon quest but II onward DQ was a phenomenon)