Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

Rise of the Dragon is back with a brand-new update, in which WWF Champion Hulk Hogan proves his dominance by beating the biggest man in the company, a man who up to this point many said was unbeatable. Plus, the most beloved tag team of the '80s breaks up...

Deleted member 100251

Just in case you've missed it. But, Tons of Bits and Bytes has now made way into 1998.
What surprises will await?

Well... IDK whether I should have made this a separate thread...

So here's the deal. Is it possible to make Sega Master System the 8-bit console in North America instead of NES? Probably as a result of Nintendo not realizing what they did in OTL. The Great Video Game Crash should be taken into consideration. And how it would affect gaming?

I'm awaiting for your replies. Of course, if what I described is impossible without some extraterrestrial meddling, just tell me. :)

So here's the deal. Is it possible to make Sega Master System the 8-bit console in North America instead of NES? Probably as a result of Nintendo not realizing what they did in OTL. The Great Video Game Crash should be taken into consideration. And how it would affect gaming?
Depend, Nintendo still exist(as a videogame maker) or no?

WI Robin Williams plays Freddy Kreuger (reportedly, at one point, he was considered)? Talk about playing against type...

WI Robin Williams plays Freddy Kreuger (reportedly, at one point, he was considered)? Talk about playing against type...
For me Robert Engul is freddie in all but if there some other rather jack nicholson to pull it, can be Mr Williams, he is pretty versatile actors and would be later on something they show his range, if e still become a full fledge A-List actor is possible freddie sequels are fewer but i think he can pull it.
They do, I guess, it's just the NES fails in NA region. (SMS was a success in Europe, and that's precisely what gave me the idea.)
There a much of factors, just consider nintendo miss the NA train because something(issue with atari, with local distrubuitors, something), The issue is...have sega that KILLER APP? Not offense but sega more famous game for SMS was Phantasy Star who IIRC even sega was happy with their performance at the time even if the big price tag of the game, maybe they got something, maybe nintendo come later, they would easily share the pie with a late comer nintendo and things will be far different, imagine more Multiplatform gamea for both(and NES is as stronger as SMS with chips even more)

The millon dollar question...did SMS sucess delay the megadrive/genesis?

There a much of factors, just consider nintendo miss the NA train because something(issue with atari, with local distrubuitors, something), The issue is...have sega that KILLER APP? Not offense but sega more famous game for SMS was Phantasy Star who IIRC even sega was happy with their performance at the time even if the big price tag of the game, maybe they got something, maybe nintendo come later, they would easily share the pie with a late comer nintendo and things will be far different, imagine more Multiplatform gamea for both(and NES is as stronger as SMS with chips even more)

The millon dollar question...did SMS sucess delay the megadrive/genesis?

Well, I guess having Nintend arrive later seems like the most realistic one, probably combined with not having ROB the Robot (and Gyromite with Stack Up as a consequence) which, IIRC, fooled Americans into thinking NES was a toy as opposed to video game console. SNES can be a pretty tough competitor for Genesis, though.

Speaking of which... do I still have any lifelines? (-; SMS did get a re-release so I can see SMD/Genesis delayed for a while. And Power Base Converter might be a success, somewhat.

Well, I guess having Nintend arrive later seems like the most realistic one, probably combined with not having ROB the Robot (and Gyromite with Stack Up as a consequence) which, IIRC, fooled Americans into thinking NES was a toy as opposed to video game console. SNES can be a pretty tough competitor for Genesis, though.

Speaking of which... do I still have any lifelines? (-; SMS did get a re-release so I can see SMD/Genesis delayed for a while. And Power Base Converter might be a success, somewhat.
Yeah that is the most possible, nintendo got delayed and we got an early console wars with nintendo sega in the 8-bit gen, that will be something pretty big(even briging more people to play videogames)

Of course the powerbase would be a sucess if people care for SMS in this side of pacific(and was popular in europe), again i always wondered if genesis got delayed they just launch the mega-cd instead but that is a topic for a timeline itself.

Maybe even NEC would be sucessful? that would make a much more different console market and wars.

Yeah that is the most possible, nintendo got delayed and we got an early console wars with nintendo sega in the 8-bit gen, that will be something pretty big(even briging more people to play videogames)

Of course the powerbase would be a sucess if people care for SMS in this side of pacific(and was popular in europe), again i always wondered if genesis got delayed they just launch the mega-cd instead but that is a topic for a timeline itself.

Maybe even NEC would be sucessful? that would make a much more different console market and wars.

Sega (Mega) CD is a direct competitor for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine. Suppose we have Sega delay SMD/Genesis. That means that, yes, TurboGrafx might come earlier than Genesis. And that might or might not cause the development of Sega CD to be rushed, the results of which can be... not the best ones for Sega.

On the other hand, both Sega and Nintendo can promote cartridges as being better than CDs (to kill NEC as a console manufacturer once and for all), which is highly unlikely, but may drastically change the gaming industry.

Am I thinking in the right direction? Or am I being overly far-fetched and unrealistic?

Am I thinking in the right direction? Or am I being overly far-fetched and unrealistic?
The opposite you're being pretty direct and keep very conservative expectations.
Yeah, again the Sega-CD was made to counter NEC who beat them in japan even with the megadrive-genesis(here i think depend, sega is still sega but with western sucess of SMS,a lot of things can happen), people forgot how big NEC was in japan(unable to beat both famicom but make a massive market for itself...before fumbled it), umm we need a lot of consideration, it can end anywhere.

Yeah, again the Sega-CD was made to counter NEC who beat them in japan even with the megadrive-genesis(here i think depend, sega is still sega but with western sucess of SMS,a lot of things can happen), people forgot how big NEC was in japan(unable to beat both famicom but make a massive market for itself...before fumbled it), umm we need a lot of consideration, it can end anywhere.

What rendered TurboGrafx's chance of success in NA moot was lack of 3rd party developers. Again, video game CDs being all but a fad is a possibility. But considering that, in OTL, The Big N was the last to convert to discs, their (presumed) lack of CD add-on might cripple them severely if TurboGrafx takes SNES' place as Genesis' (more precisely, Sega CD's) main competitor. Which they can be if they manage to get developers in NA interested.

(At that point, I'm starting to think that what I am doing to Nintendo is the reverse of wank. Nintendo must suffer! No offence.)

If they DO get a CD add-on... oh. wait, we already got that one covered.

EDIT: I wonder if Famiclones are still a thing ITHTL (H for hypothethical), and whether other consoles are cloned. Having Dendy be a SMS clone would be fun.

What rendered TurboGrafx's chance of success in NA moot was lack of 3rd party developers. Again, video game CDs being all but a fad is a possibility. But considering that, in OTL, The Big N was the last to convert to discs, their (presumed) lack of CD add-on might cripple them severely if TurboGrafx takes SNES' place as Genesis' (more precisely, Sega CD's) main competitor. Which they can be if they manage to get developers in NA interested.
And that is change as would be far different policies with Sega and a late coming nintendo. so things would be far different, again depend a lot of the butterflies.

If they DO get a CD add-on... oh. wait, we already got that one covered.
Yeah by two guys in this forum ;) , that is another topic. again butterflies.

EDIT: I wonder if Famiclones are still a thing ITHTL (H for hypothethical), and whether other consoles are cloned. Having Dendy be a SMS clone would be fun.
Well in OTL we got semiofficial SMS clones in brazil as child toys and low cost console(they are still be make and sold as we speak) so would be possible to buy both fami and segaclone back to back.

So if you want to build a tl, tell me would gladly help.

And that is change as would be far different policies with Sega and a late coming nintendo. so things would be far different, again depend a lot of the butterflies.

I wonder if Sega would go for restrictions for 3rd party devs like Nintendo in OTL. I think that with a more popular TurboGrafx-16, they might do this in 16 bit era.

Then there's the handhelds. As I see it, there may be quite a competition. Game Gear was pretty much SMS but portable. With SMS' bigger success Game Gear can also be successful, but we have issues with its mobility and the fact it drains the batteries pretty fast. Game Boy might win this console war - maybe just by a hair.

Seeing how Nintendo is weakened here, is it possible that they quit home console production at some point to monopolize the handheld market instead?

Also, in which way can TurboGrafx attract US 3rd party devs? And are we going to have a follow-up to a succesful TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine from NEC/Hudson? This imaginary console might prove a competitor for N64 and Saturn. Especially the latter if it's the same as in OTL and we still don't have a killer app for it - in NA, at least. (EDIT: Okay, so there was a successor to TurboGrafx, but it was Japan only. My bad.)

What other companies can enter the console business? I was thinking of an earlier Microsoft entry...

Last edited:
Then there's the handhelds. As I see it, there may be quite a competition. Game Gear was pretty much SMS but portable. With SMS' bigger success Game Gear can also be successful, but we have issues with its mobility and the fact it drains the batteries pretty fast. Game Boy might win this console war - maybe just by a hair.
It would be closer to DS vs PSP when DS was a megahit but people forgot how popular PSP was(that vita fumbled it away), again OTL gameboy sold 100+ Millons, a Game Gear selling like 20-30 millons(mostly americans and maybe better that otl 5-6) again depend, at the time baterry life was everything but playing SMS game on the go would be the selling point for a while.

Also, in which way can TurboGrafx attract US 3rd party devs?
Maybe trying? people forgot how bad were USA games(mostly base don pc) till mid 90's, all was about japanese games.

It would be closer to DS vs PSP when DS was a megahit but people forgot how popular PSP was(that vita fumbled it away), again OTL gameboy sold 100+ Millons, a Game Gear selling like 20-30 millons(mostly americans and maybe better that otl 5-6) again depend, at the time baterry life was everything but playing SMS game on the go would be the selling point for a while.

Huh. Here in Russia, PSP was actually the bigger console bc of DS' terrible marketing. So yeah, that one's fine. Game Gear can use "playing SMS games on the go" as a selling point, and then Nintendo counter-attacks with claims that Game Boy is more portable. Seeing as GG did not have a worthy successor in OTL (Nomad was too little too late), Game Boy might be the biggest source of profit in NA for Nintendo.

people forgot how bad were USA games(mostly base don pc) till mid 90's, all was about japanese games.

Then it's in the localizations. JP games need to be adapted for NA gamers. And TurboGrafx should get what can be a killer app to convince people to buy more units.

Then it's in the localizations. JP games need to be adapted for NA gamers. And TurboGrafx should get what can be a killer app to convince people to buy more units.
that is a fucking myth, megaman was fine, castlevania was fine, phantasy star and FF were hit even if at the time would not hold a candled against the titan was ultima. but that was a pc game. just maybe yeah more direct localization and pushing the games, R-type was a hit IIRC so can be a start point(that should have been the pack-in game) and so on.

the rest if how the tl shape, thanks to the story about psp in russia.

that is a fucking myth, megaman was fine, castlevania was fine, phantasy star and FF were hit even if at the time would not hold a candled against the titan was ultima. but that was a pc game.

Sorry then. Still, 3rd party developers should not lose interest in PC Engine, since, according to Wikipedia,

Initially, the TurboGrafx-16 sold well in the U.S., but eventually it suffered from lack of support from third-party software developers and publishers.

It should sell well from the beginning til the end.

R-type was a hit IIRC so can be a start point(that should have been the pack-in game) and so on.

Yes, that's possible, but this game was on other platforms too... anything can be done with that?