Pop-culture of the Kaiserreich

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by terranova210486, Sep 28, 2019.

1. President Earl Warren Well-Known Member

Sorry about the quote problem, working to fix it.

2. terranova210486 Well-Known Member

freivolk likes this.
  3. freivolk Well-Known Member

Le sceptre d'Ottokar will propably have similar themes, but with the Boduriens as Syndies.

terranova210486 likes this.
  4. terranova210486 Well-Known Member

What about the one where he goes to America? Or the where he meets Captain Haddock?

5. RiverDelta So...yeah.

I’m tempted to do a CSA version of Dumbing of Age, but I dunno if that’s too obscure to be at all interesting?

6. H.Flashman(VC) Well-Known Member

Tintin en Amerique was drawn in 1931, so i don't think there will be any changes there. The first comics were very steriotypical, and i can't see that change, maybe he will constantly refer to Al Capone's gangsters as le syndicate as a little personal shot. Le crabbe au pince d'or, the album that introduces us to Haddock was made in 1940, 1941. The story plays mostly in French North Africa and is pretty a political. So i actualy think there wouldn't change that much. However it depends on lore. What i described happened if Germany wins the zweiter Weltkrieg. But if according to the syndicalist victory timeline ATL Belgium will be occupied by that moment, then Herge wouldn't be allowed to work, certainly not if he brought out the very first album, Im Land der Syndicalisten.

7. S. Marlowski Writer of an upcoming fantasy series

[​IMG]
    Men of War: Assault Squad 2 Cover Art

The Men of War video game series from the Ukrainian gaming company Best Way and German digitalmindsoft. The game was a real time tactics with 3rd Person shooter elements (namely with it's iconic direct control mode). The game featured skirmish missions (both single player and co-op modes), battlezones, cargo, combat, victory, and frontline modes. Some the unique things to Men of War was that you could manage the inventory of a soldier or vehicle, soldiers are needed to man vehicles, and there is also an editor for the game, which allows players to make custom maps or missions. Being set during the 2nd Weltkreig, with the Germans, Russians, AUS, CSA, French, and British factions. The three main campaigns in the original Men of War was with two officers named Smirnoff and Kuznetsov in the Russian Army fighting the Germans, the German campaign with Gunther Borg fighting on the Western Front against the French and British, and a group of soldiers with the AUS factions battling the CSA in the south. It's sequels, Assault Squad and Assault Squad 2 both had new campaigns with the all of the aforementions factions along with the new ones of the Japanese and American Federalist forces that has the player tasked in both defending their positions and also capturing enemy ones along with stealth, tank, and infiltration missions. The spinoff game called Men of War: White Tide, followed Russian Navy Marines on the Black Sea Front in WK II, along with Condemned Heroes, which followed the story of the Russian Penal Battalions. What made the series popular was that it both had the aforementioned direct-control mode, and it is rather very moddable, which led the rise of the mods such as the German Soldiers Mod, RobZ Realism, and Red Rising Mods.

[​IMG]
    A screenshot from the Original Men of War with the Russian and German forces in a firefight.
    [​IMG]
    A screenshot of Men of War's famous editor mode.

8. President Earl Warren Well-Known Member

trying to get a few ideas for a version of the Crown in My TL but having abit of difficulty with possible names given the diffrent context (Elizabeth succeeds after the failure of Fortitude and Edward resigning/drinking himself to death and has to work hard to perserve the monarchy itself). Any Ideas?

Mister Abbadon likes this.
  9. theg*ddam*hoi2fan Beware of the Leopard

Under a bridge, handing out business cards
    Oh, for sure. What I was trying to go with there was something that felt realistic for the situation and the era/stage of the country's development, but was still better than it could have gone.

Unfortunately it's a real likelihood... I can see things changing later, under different leaders, but during the civil war and the immediate aftermath, things could get nasty.

A combination of the popular feeling on the ground and leadership recognising 'Let's be realistic about this...'

Think you'd enjoy it.

Pretty much, yeah.

Oh, it wouldn't be zero. But thanks to a combination of loss of some resources, changes, the shakeup of the entire political landscape and radical changes to how politics works, as well as government working towards this end, definitely a sharply reduced political clout.

Had a feeling it might.

It definitely makes sense, alright!

10. President Earl Warren Well-Known Member

Yeah, thats my impression of most your world, where the Syndicalists took the high road (within reason) most of the time,when it would of been so much easier for them to go low...Im guessing that if they ever did get a machine to travel between universes and saw mine, theyd be rattled and then shake there heads at there counterparts for taking short cuts and there corruption and using it as a lesson for back home.
    Yeah,It take a long time for the wounds to heal in Iberia given how Nasty literally everyone would of been... Hopefully by the modern day the Iberians have owned up to at least some of there atrocities and are working on a Truth and Reconciliation comisson.
    Yeah, dont want to get yourselves stupidly overthrown...
    Oh I bet I will,I found Don Camillio last summer and I liked it practically immediately both for the expoloration of the period, the Innate Christianity in it, and the comedy
    so I guess he also takes advantage of this with his Carpentry being mostly to assist the Parish...
    Im sure that works on a national level but Im not so sure on a Local level, considering that Syndicalism does give a lot of autonumy to the local communitties, if the

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Anyways heres my images for the day:

[​IMG]

Blue Bloods, A CBS Shows following a Cop family In New York City as it navigates a complicated environment to make sure Crime is dealt with Fairly in New York City, now one of the most noticeably diverse cities in the world due to the Government Reconstruction policy of inviting in exiles and Immigrants from all over the world to reconstruct the city from damages, often leading to what is a true show of the melting pot of America to many but also creating a unique situation for Cops who have to work with the mix effectively. It is praised for the family dynamic as it deals with everyone's personal lives and there different Philosophies, from GrandPa and former commissioner Henry Reagan, who still remembers how the City was before the Second Civil War, in his childhood and the complicated days of policing after the war, Henry, a tough but fair commissioner and his own Children: Danny (who is a by the books cop who has no time for rule breaking) Jamie (someone who thinks bending the rules once in a while is worth it if it gets the job done) and Erin (the New York City prosecutor) and there own families.

[​IMG]

a Scene from ground Zone Dublin, a Film about the beginnings of the Irish Second War of Independence. Following brand New Recruit Gary Hook (played by Jack O'Connell) looking to serve his country and promote the revolution he is deployed first to the Violent streets of Dublin as the Local Syndicalist Government cannot contain the massive, violent demonstrations calling for the end of Syndicalism.Initially sold on the promise that he was just fighting a few extremists and Counter revolutionaries, Gary learns it's far more complex after being dropped on the ground and thrown into the suppression of the massive demonstrations, where he witnesses the brutality the local authorities are willing to use to find anyone possibly connected to organizations like the New IRA or the ARF (Arm Friotaíocht Chaitliceach, or Catholic Resistance Army) and shows the Sunday Massacre when the Army fired into Crowds of protestors. However it does not shy away from some of the actions the Nationalists committed in there quest, as it quickly becomes a game of Cat and Mouse as Gary is separated from his units and has to flee from a group of fanatical Irish Nationalists looking to kill him and terrorizing any citizen who they consider a Collaborator, including the Family who aided him (who are actually personally quite Pro Nationalist and Anti Syndicalist). It is judged with abit of controversy in both the Republic and Britain, the current Nationalist Government is very much angry at the "Smearing of Noble freedom fighters by a bunch of Brits", while many in Britain don't like being reminded of their country's more brutal actions in the conflict...

11. terranova210486 Well-Known Member

Do you think Game of Thrones would be any different in KR?

12. freivolk Well-Known Member

The America-book wont change much. To some degree it was propaganda like "land of the Soviets", just t hat in this case, american capitalism was the target.
    Crab with golden claws is more difficult, because IOTL it was written at a time, were ITTL the WKII is most likely already going on and Belgium is at the frontline. Good chance Haddock is butterflied away.

13. freivolk Well-Known Member

You called?

[​IMG]

In the 1950/60th the "Pater Brown"-movies, were a very popular series in german cinemas. Although the storys were mostly pure whodunits and didn´t really try include Chestersons philosophie, they were one of the first post-war movies, which showed a symphathic image of England.
    The titular role was played by famous german actor Heinz Rühmann.

Rühmann is till today best known for his role as Adolph Hitler in the german movie classic "Mein Kampf".

[​IMG]

14. S. Marlowski Writer of an upcoming fantasy series

So What you guys think of Men of War being in the Kaiserreich Universe?

I could easily say that this game is rather underrated with AH.com.

15. freivolk Well-Known Member

GoT is somewhat a deconstructing of tolkienesque High Fantasy. The question is, will such High Fantasy become a genre. Yes, Tolkien wriite in KR, but success would depend on several factors. If America goes and Britain stays syndie, I think High Fantasy will not be a thing there. If Germany wins WKII and stays dominant on the world stage, it would propably develope
    its own brand of High Fantasy, which wouldn´t needed to be deconstructed the GoT-way, because its already pretty dark. I mean in the Song of the Niebelungs the hero get murdered in the middle of the story and at the end everybody dies in a massacre.

16. terranova210486 Well-Known Member

Do you think R.L. Stine wrote to Goosebumps books in KR?

17. theg*ddam*hoi2fan Beware of the Leopard

I’d agree.

Within a democratic Syndicalist setting, my ‘in-universe article’ would hold true I think...

Because Conan-esque stories tend to be more gritty and built around often flawed characters rather than themes of kingship, etc., I can see this kind of fantasy developing. Rather than ‘all was well when the Rightful King (TM) came along’, it’s ‘This world is corrupt, here’s what our hero did while living in it’.

18. Worffan101 Ain't done nothing if I ain't been called a Red

I'd expect Red fantasy literature to be rooted in concepts like Mistborn: The Final Empire. Heist novel about ragtag lower-class heroes mounting a rebellion against a corrupt and totalitarian regime.

19. theg*ddam*hoi2fan Beware of the Leopard

That’d work, alright :D

terranova210486 and Kol like this.
  20. terranova210486 Well-Known Member

What's Australasia like in Greater East Asia?