Pop-culture of a World Without WW1

British science fiction would have colonization, and keeping the other space faring nations like stuff necked German, froufrou France, and their young crazy çousin America out of their affairs.

How about Animation like Western cartoon and Anime? How will change in this Scenario?
The few time this question came up here (or on reddit), it was often suggested that animations and manga were industries that already were well under development even before WW2. So anime definitely would be a thing atleast. How similar would it develop to be compared to what we know is hard to tell however. From what I can tell, there are no obvious obstacles to Walt Disney's and Tezuka Osamu's carriers progressing similar to how they IOTL did, but nothing is certain.

What I'm curious about though is wether another nation could develop a comic/animation culture rivaling OTL USA and Japan or not?

The few time this question came up here (or on reddit), it was often suggested that animations and manga were industries that already were well under development even before WW2. So anime definitely would be a thing atleast. How similar would it develop to be compared to what we know is hard to tell however. From what I can tell, there are no obvious obstacles to Walt Disney's and Tezuka Osamu's carriers progressing similar to how they IOTL did, but nothing is certain.

What I'm curious about though is wether another nation could develop a comic/animation culture rivaling OTL USA and Japan or not?
I could see Germany or France developed a robust comic/animation industry that could rival both alternatively Russia thought it would be much harder to developed into a major powerhouse if there problems they experience OTL aren't resolve thought I think one areas that they could flourish is stop motion as even before the war there are the pioneers of stop motion animation .

mspence

Banned
How about science fiction? Before WW1 early SF was dominated by optimistic futurism a la H.G. Wells along with the occasional "future war" story. Assuming future war tales die out, then futurism would continue to dominate SF along the lines of Campbell and Heinlein. Bradbury might be more of a fantasy writer and Asimov would probably stick with nonfiction books.

Asimov staying one topic? In OTL he wrote over 500 books in different styles, topics. From soup to nuts, and probably that too. So why would he be limited in this time line.

Edgy and over the top nihilism and violence to make up for a peaceful, prosperous and boringly stable world. Think like alot of 90s pop culture but more entrenched and for a longer time.

Think warhammer 40k or Nemesis the warlock or what @DValdron would call "moontrap" type movies for examples of content.

How about science fiction? Before WW1 early SF was dominated by optimistic futurism a la H.G. Wells along with the occasional "future war" story. Assuming future war tales die out, then futurism would continue to dominate SF along the lines of Campbell and Heinlein. Bradbury might be more of a fantasy writer and Asimov would probably stick with nonfiction books.
H.G Wells optimistic? Not in any of his most famous books, the Time machine, War of the worlds, invisible man, island of doctor Moreau. No, he already predicted several times that technology was not making us better human beings. With the developments in psychology, i can even see Aldous Huxley writing his Brave New World on time, despite the lack of WW 1.

I guess the dogfights in Star Wars evoke those in WW2, although given that aviation technology predated WW1, I expect that aerial combat would become a bigger part of warfare ITTL as well, and given the constraints of aerial warfare I expect dogfights would also occur for George Lucas to get inspiration from. Other than that, the set-up and course of the Galactic Civil War isn't really similar to either World War, so there's no reason for the Original Trilogy to have a particularly different plot. Without the example of Hitler, though, it's possible Lucas or whoever wouldn't have the idea of an ambitious strongman getting elected and then using a crisis to vote himself unlimited powers, so the plot of the Prequel Trilogy might be rather different. Perhaps instead of being Space Hitler, the Emperor could be Space Napoleon, a successful military leader who seizes power in an armed coup.
IMO Star Wars is the end of the Roman Republic with all its' civil wars and the beginning of the Principate set in space, so it could still be a topic in a world with no World Wars.

Will there be a Film Genre about Colonialism? Like films that Shows them Adventures in the African & Asian Colonies and "Showing the Savages The Way of Western Civilization" in a World without the World Wars

Secular Yiddish culture was blooming in the eras immediately before and after WWI. Unfortunately, most of it's prominent figures were either killed in the Holocaust or beaten into submission by the Soviet Union and the United States. I predict that if WWI hadn't happened, the secular Yiddish world would remain largely intact and develop naturally. You might see more Yiddish-language novels, films, TV shows etc.

Idea: Russian cartoon where martians are converted to Orthodoxy by Russian space man
Russian Astronauts: Hey Martian freaks, are you like to Know about Are Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?
Martians: ( Martian sayings a equivalent of WTF )

Last edited:
Sadly the song Ra-Ra Rasputin by Boney would not exist. I mean Rasputin would exist and he would be murdered for some reason but his death or his infamous life Time achievement wouldn't get the limelight that we see in otl, the man, the myth and legend of Rasputin would be restricted to St Petersburg urban legend as time passes.

What will a social media be like?
That would depend, i mean without the first world war the second world war is delayed or butterflies, which would impact the development of transistors and the development of computer and information technology. Assuming the rate of development remains steady we would have the internet in the 2010s and social media explosion in the 2030s, unless because of bigger population results in greater technological development.
Social media will be different but how different would depend on multitude of factors from technology development to the era in which social media takes off. But i suspect internet in the United States atleast would have a strong libertarian approach, while the British commonwealth countries would have strong emphasis on morality and public order while trying to remain free. As for the rest of the legal system I'm not that qualified to comment.

Just think about it. Do we still have violence, Sex and other Taboos topic in TV shows? because Religious people would have more Control to Censored in Media than Our OTL

Last edited:
Just think about it. Do we still have violence, Sex and other Taboos topic in TV shows because Religious people would have more Control to Censored in Media than Our OTL
I'd guess not. Wars have usually generated a period of social conservatism after them. Barring WW1 or any other major conflict I imagine things will develop more steadily.

Well, for starters, Hollywood wouldn't be considered the "Mecca of the Movies" and its influence wouldn't be as big as it is today. The World Wars basically killed the cinema industry in Europe and it never really recovered after that. Without them, Pop Culture wouldn't be so Hollywood-centric.