Pop-culture in TL-191

• Thread starter Deleted member 82792
  • Start date
I don't think so, mostly because the first shots of the Second Great War were fired in Europe by France declaring war on Germany, not Featherston initiating Operation Blackbeard.

I don't even think the Population Reduction would be enough for Featherston to be loathed worldwide and I'll explain why.

Let's compare what Featherston did to blacks in the Confederacy to Germany's genocide of the Herero and Nama peoples. The latter, while it certainly happened, is not widely discussed, because it happened outside of the European field of view, as it were. It didn't happen in Europe, it happened in some colony that no one cared about in the early 20th Century. This is surprising, given how some of the racial theories that led to the Holocaust were born in Africa.

Similarly, the Population Reduction didn't happen in Europe, it happened in a place which could be considered a British client state, out of sight and out of mind for most people in the world.

Also, the Population Reduction lacks the geographical reach of the Holocaust. The Holocaust annihlated entire Jewish communities across Europe, the Jewish community in Poland and Thessalonika, Greece, comes to mind, while the Reduction was mostly limited to blacks in the Confederacy, except for at least one death camp in Haiti, a country that I doubt most 20th Century Europeans would've thought twice about. This would've been like the Armenian Genocide. Yes, it happened, but it mostly happened in a particular country and against a minority group that no one in Europe really cared about. There's a reason why no one knows who the three Pashas are, outside of people on this site, because nobody talks about the Armenian Genocide.

Also, the Holocaust happened in a time where we were slowly realizing that perhaps racial prejudice should be a thing of the past. In this timeline, Germany won the Great War and as a result, still holds Namibia, where in OTL, the first genocide of the 20th Century happened. Do you really think the Germans will bring much attention to the Reduction with that big blotch on their colonial record?

And of course, the American Front of the Second Great War, to the other European powers, was a insignifcant front, the fourth chapter in a epoch of mutual national hatred which while it would concern the USA, does not concern the other foreign powers. Again, the main front of the Second Great War is Europe. If anything, in Europe, they'll focus on Russia's atrocities towards the Jews of Eastern Europe, not whatever is going on in North America.

A simplistic caricature of Jake Featherston is guaranteed.

(Seriously, in War and Remembrance, Hitler is screaming his head off half the time)
On that note on the end, in your view do you see France doing the same thing to their Jews in Metro France, North Africa and occupied territories, as well as toward Protestants, political opponents, and other "undesirables"?

I can definitely see Action Franciase bringing back anti-Semitic laws from before the French Revolution (banning Jews from making loans, etc), but I am not sure about outright exterminating them. In OTL, we've seen that the French police were quite willing to partake in the 'relocation' of Jews from France to Auschwitz, so it's definetely possible that concentration camps could be set up in France and there were virulent anti-Semites in the French government, including Louis Darqueir de Pellepoix, who was VIchy France's minister for Jewish affairs and who became a Holocaust denier after the war. In 1937, he was bold enough to say this

So, I don't think there would be much sympathy for the Jews in the Franciase government if they mysteriously 'disappeared', but would they go through with it? Hard to say. I should add that Pellepoix was only put in that position to please the Nazis, who thought his predecessor, Xavier Vallat, also a rabid anti-Semite, was too moderate.

Would they go after Protestants? Probably not with the same intensity as they would do with the Jews. After all, at the dawn of the 20th Century, a third of Parisian bankers were Jewish, so going after them would probably be a higher priority to the government than worrying about the Protestants. They would make life hell for the Protestants, but not to the extent as they would for the Jews

Now, the other 'undesirables'. What do you mean by undesirables? Are you talking about France's non-white colonial population, like members of the Tiraelleurs?
Oh, like Roma, Freemasons, Bonapartists, Legitamists, Spanish exiles, mixed Jewish-Christian families, disabled and mentally ill, etc. So a plethora of potential groups that'd face persecution. On the latter, I could see Alexis Carrel leading a euthanasia program like he did IOTL for the Vichy Regime. As Marlowski and I have thought, they'd probably more prefer "extermination through labor" than outright massacring them at first once the Second Great War gets into gear. Pogroms could happen to a certain extent. The Actionist regime will be making them "useful" until they're no more in various industries. Mentioned a few more classes of political opponents in this one I realized. By the way, if Darquier has a place ITTL, it'll be the same in overseeing the roundup, deportation, and murder of the Action Francaise's "undesirables".

Last edited:
I have an idea for an in-universe french alternate history novel written in the 80s where a clique of ultra-nationalists somehow manage seize control of France during the chaos of the immediate aftermath of the SGW. They basically turn France into TNO Omsk in there irrational and completely fucking insane quest to finally have their revenge against Germany. Clearly fourth time's the charm.

It will be commentating on how ultimately self-destructive revanchism was for France and will be written as a massive fuck you too a neo-fascist party that would be operating at the time.

If anyone wants to use this concept go right ahead.

Oh, like Roma, Freemasons, Bonapartists, Legitamists, Spanish exiles, mixed Jewish-Christian families, disabled and mentally ill, etc. So a plethora of potential groups that'd face persecution. On the latter, I could see Alexis Carrel leading a euthanasia program like he did IOTL for the Vichy Regime. As Marlowski and I have thought, they'd probably more prefer "extermination thorough labor" than outright massacring them at first. Making them "useful" until they're no more in various industries.

I would have to agree. They'd probably go easy on the monarchists and save the worst of the work for the most 'anti-Catholic' groups - Roma, Freemasons and the Jews.

As for the eugenics program? Yeah, I can see that happening, but it would have to be in secret, though. In OTL, it didn't take long for the German public to determine what was happening to their relatives under the 'care' of the government's doctors.

Agree as well. Realizing it, this is more of a topic of discussion for Filling the Gaps.
I would have to agree. They'd probably go easy on the monarchists and save the worst of the work for the most 'anti-Catholic' groups - Roma, Freemasons and the Jews.

As for the eugenics program? Yeah, I can see that happening, but it would have to be in secret, though. In OTL, it didn't take long for the German public to determine what was happening to their relatives under the 'care' of the government's doctors.

This question may be a more general TL 191 question, but I thought it would be fitting to put it here: What would Jake Featherston's reputation be like (outside of North America) compared to Hitler in OTL?

I ask this because in our timeline, Hitler basically put the west in an identity crisis with his brutality and completely changed the way people thought about things like racism in the west. But would Featherston really have as much of an impact ITTLs pop-culture as Hitler in OTL? I get the feeling that countries like Germany would still be appalled by the Population Reduction, but view as a more localized event due to it being focused on the Confederacy itself.

My point is, would Featherston have the same impact as Hitler outside of North America? Because I'm sure that he will definitely have the same impact on the US as Hitler did IOTL, but I'm more curious about the rest of the world.
I don't think so, mostly because the first shots of the Second Great War were fired in Europe by France declaring war on Germany, not Featherston initiating Operation Blackbeard.

I don't even think the Population Reduction would be enough for Featherston to be loathed worldwide and I'll explain why.

Let's compare what Featherston did to blacks in the Confederacy to Germany's genocide of the Herero and Nama peoples. The latter, while it certainly happened, is not widely discussed, because it happened outside of the European field of view, as it were. It didn't happen in Europe, it happened in some colony that no one cared about in the early 20th Century. This is surprising, given how some of the racial theories that led to the Holocaust were born in Africa.

Similarly, the Population Reduction didn't happen in Europe, it happened in a place which could be considered a British client state, out of sight and out of mind for most people in the world.

Also, the Population Reduction lacks the geographical reach of the Holocaust. The Holocaust annihlated entire Jewish communities across Europe, the Jewish community in Poland and Thessalonika, Greece, comes to mind, while the Reduction was mostly limited to blacks in the Confederacy, except for at least one death camp in Haiti, a country that I doubt most 20th Century Europeans would've thought twice about. This would've been like the Armenian Genocide. Yes, it happened, but it mostly happened in a particular country and against a minority group that no one in Europe really cared about. There's a reason why no one knows who the three Pashas are, outside of people on this site, because nobody talks about the Armenian Genocide.

Also, the Holocaust happened in a time where we were slowly realizing that perhaps racial prejudice should be a thing of the past. In this timeline, Germany won the Great War and as a result, still holds Namibia, where in OTL, the first genocide of the 20th Century happened. Do you really think the Germans will bring much attention to the Reduction with that big blotch on their colonial record?

And of course, the American Front of the Second Great War, to the other European powers, was a insignifcant front, the fourth chapter in a epoch of mutual national hatred which while it would concern the USA, does not concern the other foreign powers. Again, the main front of the Second Great War is Europe. If anything, in Europe, they'll focus on Russia's atrocities towards the Jews of Eastern Europe, not whatever is going on in North America.

(Seriously, in War and Remembrance, Hitler is screaming his head off half the time)
Since the official story ended in 1945, Featherston’s reputation outside of North America could go either way.

This is why I’ve tried to include extra ideas and possibly rewrite some of the things that Dr. Turtledove chose, regardless of accuracy, in order to make Featherston well-known throughout the world.

Some examples:
I like the idea of both German and U.S. propaganda using what happened to the Black population in the CSA as a rally cry for the Black Africans to rise up against Britain and their allies.

Another is having the CSA invade the USA about a month and a half earlier in 1941, making them the chief instigator of the Second Great War.

America, maybe. As I said before, I don't see Germany touching the Reduction with a five-foot pole because of what they did in Namibia. It would make them look like the worst kind of hypocrites.

There's a head-canon story I've yet to write that describes an event where the USA threatens to superbomb South Africa for its attempt to pass apartheid laws during the late 1940's. (It's more of an empty threat, but the South Africans don't know that.)

The events of Namibia are brought up and used against the Germans as "proof" that they are incapable/unwilling of protecting their Black colonial subjects.
This causes a lot of civil unrest in Mittelafrika and is considered a diplomatic embarrassment against the Imperial German government and its citizens back home.

How plausible all of this can happen is up for debate, but I'd like to imagine it that it does, regardless.

I think that due to the fact that Featherston was more a "local" problem , separated from the European theater, mean that he might be less well known world-wide.
My take on it? I'd imagine there'd be criticism of the UK and France for maintaining their support of Featherston even after finding out about the Population Reduction, and a general reevaluation of attitudes towards blacks by the "civilized" peoples of the world because (if for no other reason) they would not want to be compared to "Ignorant, uncouth, hillbilly Confederates." The CSA becomes the "problem child" in the historical memory of the Anglo-French Sphere, the one who put on the affectations of "civilized" while perpetuating terrible barbarities.
Worse still, it gives the Imperialist histories of the UK and France a deflection, as anyone who brings up any crimes against colonial populations committed by them, they can just point at the CSA and say "at least we weren't as bad as them!"

sort of in the manner that the aftermath of the Holocaust made "Antisemitic" a damning label in the west as folks didn't want to be compared to the Nazis.

Last edited:

I would argue that the British would have some stake in the events going on in North America, as the 1GW Canadian front and its subsequent loss denied the UK not only one of their major Colonial/Commonwealth assets, but also manpower and resources vitally needed in Europe in both wars. there's also the extended British presence in South America: their supply convoys from Argentina and their vital necessity to keeping the UK in both of the wars are commented on several times by the Naval characters in the series. Featherston also put pressure on Churchill to support the Canadian rebels in "Drive to the East" to alleviate some pressure on his own forces by drawing US assets away.
we learn that the UK knows of the population reductions and is, to be very tame, off-put by them, but they need the CSA in the war as much as the CSA needs them, so they keep quiet about it. This could come back to bite them socially in the wake of the war as continued British weakening on the world stage no doubt rears its head in Africa.

I would argue that the British would have some stake in the events going on in North America, as the 1GW Canadian front and its subsequent loss denied the UK not only one of their major Colonial/Commonwealth assets, but also manpower and resources vitally needed in Europe in both wars. there's also the extended British presence in South America: their supply convoys from Argentina and their vital necessity to keeping the UK in both of the wars are commented on several times by the Naval characters in the series.

Yeah, but even then, their concerns are going to be the mostly white citizens of what used to be Canada. As America-British relations soften somewhat in the face of an overly aggressive Japan post-SGW, I think that would dominate the discussions between the two powers, not the Population Reduction.

we learn that the UK knows of the population reductions and is, to be very tame, off-put by them, but they need the CSA in the war as much as the CSA needs them, so they keep quiet about it. This could come back to bite them socially in the wake of the war as continued British weakening on the world stage no doubt rears its head in Africa.

It would be the equivalent of both TTL and OTL where the Armenian Genocide was taking place, but the Central Powers either took no notice or were very mute about it.

crimson_skies.gif

A boxart to the 2000 video game Crimson Skies, which was an arcade simulator aerial combat game which was set in an alternate timeline where the First Great War had dragged on for another year, which would result in weakening both the USA and CSA as well as Jake Featherston dying in 1918 on the Maryland Front, thus causing instability in both countries. The two nations would then collapse when the Great Depression came into full swing in the early 1930s, and sky travel become the dominant form of transportation. As a result of this, sky pirates would thrive in this new world, and by 1937, North America would become a hotbed of war with varying sky pirate gangs and air militias. The first game would be released for PC in 2000 which was followed two years later by a Playbox exclusive would be released titled Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge.

Deleted member 82792

crimson_skies.gif

A boxart to the 2000 video game Crimson Skies, which was an arcade simulator aerial combat game which was set in an alternate timeline where the First Great War had dragged on for another year, which would result in weakening both the USA and CSA as well as Jake Featherston dying in 1918 on the Maryland Front, thus causing instability in both countries. The two nations would then collapse when the Great Depression came into full swing in the early 1930s, and sky travel become the dominant form of transportation. As a result of this, sky pirates would thrive in this new world, and by 1937, North America would become a hotbed of war with varying sky pirate gangs and air militias. The first game would be released for PC in 2000 which was followed two years later by a Playbox exclusive would be released titled Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge.
What would be the nations of this North America?