Pop-culture in TL-191

• Thread starter Deleted member 82792
  • Start date
Do you think the Second Great War would be as Iconic to American culture as the Civil War and Revolution are OTL?
Even More than those, specially as War of Secession was a fiasco ITTL, and both wars were on home soil, if anything that is the apex of USA ITTL

340.jpg

I've been wondering what ITTL's version of this meme would be like?

340.jpg

I've been wondering what ITTL's version of this meme would be like?
How people think SGW was: Shows a Knight with a Union Flag dueling a Knight with a Freedomite Flag

How it really was: Zooms out to show a Knight with a German Flag fighting off a Knight with a French Flag on one side and a Knight with a Russian Flag on the other with a Knight with a British flag chilling behind the French Knight (Like the British T Rex behind the American one in the image above). And then you have a Japanese Samurai in the corner.

Something that I thought is if the future Migrants Crisis would/could have a very different framing that ours ITTL.
I can imagine future minority ethnic groups, especially those in vulnerable situations being very worried at sudden arrivals of migrants in this world. Remember that this is a world where Fetherstone commited genocide with the explicit intention to replacing the dead population with migrants.
I already can see some worried minorities becoming aware of this and well, the relations between "native" minorities and migrants in the future would be interesting.

Something that I thought is if the future Migrants Crisis would/could have a very different framing that ours ITTL.
I can imagine future minority ethnic groups, especially those in vulnerable situations being very worried at sudden arrivals of migrants in this world. Remember that this is a world where Fetherstone commited genocide with the explicit intention to replacing the dead population with migrants.
I already can see some worried minorities becoming aware of this and well, the relations between "native" minorities and migrants in the future would be interesting.
I would imagine the Mexican population in the former CSA would be especially worried about retribution from the surviving black population. On the other hand, the US was already heavily leveraged towards immigration, so perhaps the two mindsets might cancel each other out, in North America at least.

I would imagine the Mexican population in the former CSA would be especially worried about retribution from the surviving black population. On the other hand, the US was already heavily leveraged towards immigration, so perhaps the two mindsets might cancel each other out, in North America at least.
American pro immigration mindset could actually make it worse.
The jokes about how American settlers were migrants? They would be actual arguments about how American pro migrant attitudes are comorbid with genocidal tendencies.
Imagine things like "Americans called migrants to kill the Natives, Confederates called migrants to kill the blacks, why do you think they want migrants now?"
I already can imagine seeing the Native American genocides as a sort of "prelude" of the Population Reduction.

...this is more of a thought experiment than anything, but maybe there's a Turtledove expy who writes a series of books, spanning multiple decades from the 1860s to the 1940s, where the Confederate States of America - owing to the War of Secession ending later than in TL-191 - is in a far weaker position, with their largely agrarian economy crippled by an overreliance on cotton and a tense political situation, and ultimately end up becoming dependent on outside powers: Britain, France and, most of all, the resurgent Second Mexican Empire, who end up buying parts of the Confederate West and generally making Dixie their junior partner. This is not lost on the United States, whose revanchism becomes tinted with anti-imperialism and virulent Hispanophobia (or, in more extreme cases, stringent anti-Papism). The standoff between the United States and the Second Mexican Empire dominates New World geopolitics from then on, with the two practically diametrically opposed powers battling for influence in the impoverished South, Central America with its various proposed shipping routes, the Caribbean and South America, with the Empire of Brazil falling to a pro-Mexican coup d'etat with Confederate bayonets. Of course, by the beginning of the 21st century the Empire and the United States are looking for allies elsewhere, with some European powers becoming more keen on allying with the ardently Republican power...

The unofficial title is, of course, Remember the Alamo. :p

I apologize if a similar proposal came up already in this thread, but I couldn't help but make one nonetheless.

The jokes about how American settlers were migrants? They would be actual arguments about how American pro migrant attitudes are comorbid with genocidal tendencies.
Imagine things like "Americans called migrants to kill the Natives, Confederates called migrants to kill the blacks, why do you think they want migrants now?"
I already can imagine seeing the Native American genocides as a sort of "prelude" of the Population Reduction.
I always pictured that after SGW the United States deported a lot of border state Confederates, suspected rebel Canadians and Mormorns to either overseas territories or far northern Canada (which wouldn't have the best living conditions.) Replacing them Eastern-Central European's and United States war veterans via land grants and tax incentives.

That’s actually a good question that I haven’t given much thought on.

All that has happened in the North America during SGW related to immigration and the Devastation would probably lead to a type of Great Replacement Theory becoming more credible.

However, I think immigration would still occur since I tend to imagine that the U.S. government would try to frame it as both a moral duty and a way to gain American loyalty from oppressed people trying to escape German and Japanese spheres of influence.

If anything, I do see anti-immigrant sentiment being somewhat mainstream and viewed with skepticism in some circumstances, not for racist or nativist reasons, but as a knee-jerk response to prevent “Cultural Genocide” based on the Devastation as a horrifying precedent.

Last edited:
If anything, I do see anti-immigrant sentiment being somewhat mainstream and viewed with skepticism in some circumstances, not for racist or nativist reasons, but as a knee-jerk response to prevent “Cultural Genocide” based on the Devastation as a horrifying precedent.
Same, that's my point.

Do the Muppets exist?
Hard to say. Jim Henson was born in Mississippi 1936, moved to Maryland in 1946 and only broke into puppeteering in the 50s when he got a job at a local Washington, D.C. kids show. So many links in the chain that could be broken but when has that stopped TL-191? Would be interesting if a TL-191 retained some of his earlier characters and continued a bit of a darker sense of humour.
(also, Kermit is surprisingly old, been around since at least 1955)

A fictional battle scene from a cinematic adaptation of Larry Frenchen's Northern Victory/Antietam Timeline series

Considered one of the most memorable battles from the first book, the Battle of Fort Wagner features an All-Black regiment fighting near Charleston in then-Confederate South Carolina.

Alongside other fictional battles such as Antietam, Gettysburg, Vicksburg and The Crater, this battle holds a special place for American readers, especially Blacks, who love the portrayal of liberated slaves fighting with intense bravery and determination against an enemy who dare to enslave human beings because of the color of their skin.

Last edited:
1596829902631.png

a scene depicting the US counteroffensive to flank the CSA's forces during the Battle of Pittsburgh, seen in Steel City (1949)
the production of the film benefited from many veterans of the battle from both sides being able to offer consultation, Including Irving Morrell and George Patton, as well as a large amount of ex-CSA equipment, especially barrels, still in running order. Indeed, some of the "actors" in the movie were ex-CSA troops playing themselves, which caused a bit of controversy!

Have we talked about what Harry Potter would look like?
I can't imagine it would be too different in setting: a story by an English Author set in England is perfectly rational.
as to actual SUBJECT matter, that's something else. Mind you, we'd be 50+ years removed from the war at this point, so who knows what a post-fascist UK would even tolerate (if they're even post-fascist, i could see Mosleyism under a different name still being in power)
In that context, the UK doubling down on conservatism, religious or otherwise, might not even tolerate a story about magic and wizards.

Have we talked about what Harry Potter would look like?
I can't imagine it would be too different in setting: a story by an English Author set in England is perfectly rational.
as to actual SUBJECT matter, that's something else. Mind you, we'd be 50+ years removed from the war at this point, so who knows what a post-fascist UK would even tolerate (if they're even post-fascist, i could see Mosleyism under a different name still being in power)
In that context, the UK doubling down on conservatism, religious or otherwise, might not even tolerate a story about magic and wizards.
The climax of HP is how a fascist terrorist group manages to infiltrate the upper schellons of society and start a dictatorship in the process to purge undesirables that was fortunately stopped before they could go full-power

The climax of HP is how a fascist terrorist group manages to infiltrate the upper schellons of society and start a dictatorship in the process to purge undesirables that was fortunately stopped before they could go full-power
Right. Which would likely not resonate well in the UK, given who they were Allied with AND who they themselves used to be (and quite possibly still were)