Pop-culture in TL-191

• Thread starter Deleted member 82792
  • Start date
You know, the other day I was thinking to myself...Hmm in the 191 universe Arnold Schwarzenegger's family is probably still living over in Austria, so who would play the Terminator? Well, Kevin Bacon looks a little bit like Arnold Schwarzenegger in the face, so I guess he'd have to play the Terminator in the 191 universe.

Could you imagine that scene where the Terminator walks up to those punk rockers in the parking lot of Griffith Observatory, except this time it is Kevin Bacon playing the part? Kevin Bacon would be all skinny with his shirt off, and when he says "Give me your clothes now" maybe he gets his clock cleaned by the punk rockers?

I was also thinking that marijuana would be a little less common in the 191 universe than it is in our time, so instead of making movies like Up In Smoke, Nice Dreams, or Born in East LA, Cheech and Chong instead host an early morning TV show focusing on stocks and bonds. Imagine Cheech and Chong totally straight dressed up like the wolves of Wall Street sitting a news anchor desk. Chong says to Cheech, "Alright Cheech, what's our morning stock market report look like today?" Cheech would then say something like "American Business Machine released their quarterly earnings report yesterday, and although the firm posted a sizable profit, ABM's profits failed to meet investor expectations, causing a three and a quarter percent drop in their stock price. However, if we look carefully at the technical indicators surrounding this particular stock, ABM may now be in an undervalued position, and could potentially make a good buy for anyone looking to make a quick turn around on their investment." Chong: "Thank you, Cheech. In other news, corn prices took a nose dive yesterday as Congress approved the sell of genetically enhanced.....

Okay, the above is just a joke, but could you imagine Cheech and Chong hosting a morning business show? Of course not, that's why it is funny.

You know, the other day I was thinking to myself...Hmm in the 191 universe Arnold Schwarzenegger's family is probably still living over in Austria, so who would play the Terminator? Well, Kevin Bacon looks a little bit like Arnold Schwarzenegger in the face, so I guess he'd have to play the Terminator in the 191 universe.

Could you imagine that scene where the Terminator walks up to those punk rockers in the parking lot of Griffith Observatory, except this time it is Kevin Bacon playing the part? Kevin Bacon would be all skinny with his shirt off, and when he says "Give me your clothes now" maybe he gets his clock cleaned by the punk rockers?

I was also thinking that marijuana would be a little less common in the 191 universe than it is in our time, so instead of making movies like Up In Smoke, Nice Dreams, or Born in East LA, Cheech and Chong instead host an early morning TV show focusing on stocks and bonds. Imagine Cheech and Chong totally straight dressed up like the wolves of Wall Street sitting a news anchor desk. Chong says to Cheech, "Alright Cheech, what's our morning stock market report look like today?" Cheech would then say something like "American Business Machine released their quarterly earnings report yesterday, and although the firm posted a sizable profit, ABM's profits failed to meet investor expectations, causing a three and a quarter percent drop in their stock price. However, if we look carefully at the technical indicators surrounding this particular stock, ABM may now be in an undervalued position, and could potentially make a good buy for anyone looking to make a quick turn around on their investment." Chong: "Thank you, Cheech. In other news, corn prices took a nose dive yesterday as Congress approved the sell of genetically enhanced.....

Okay, the above is just a joke, but could you imagine Cheech and Chong hosting a morning business show? Of course not, that's why it is funny.

I remember in the books that Prohibition was still around for WW2 in TL-191 at least in the USA, but was never around in the CSA. It might be that Drunkeness or the consumption of Alchohol is a stereotype associated with "those idiot backwards Southerners."

TL-191s equivalent of Cheech and Chong might be something like the Dukes of Hazard where two rich alcoholic morons make a mess of Hazard County and the racially integrated put upon everyman Sherifs department has to clean it up.

Last edited:
remember in the books that Prohibition was still around for WW2 in TL-191 at least in the USA, but was never around in the CSA. It might be that Drunkeness or the consumption of Alchohol is a stereotype associated with "those idiot backwards Southerners
Neither country had prohibition. Instead, both countries had dry states. Like Iowa and Alabama. This is stated in both Jeff Pinkard's pov and Driver's pov. In the series, Virginia and Massachusetts have open bars.

TL-191s equivalent of Cheech and Chong might be something like the Dukes of Hazard where two rich alcoholic morons make a mess of Hazard County and the racially integrated put upon everyman Sherifs department has to clean it up.[/QUOTE said:
You know, I remember a few years ago that there was an independent comedy series called "Trailer Park Boys" on Netflix that was about these pot heads who lived in a trailer park in New Brunswick. Everyone was walking around with big guts and their shirts off, and none of the characters seemed to have an IQ that was above 95 at best. Also, although the characters smoked and drank a lot, their hearts were always in the right place, and usually by the end of each episode they'd manage to solve everyone's problems by opening a strip club in one of their trailers, or by building an indoor hydroponic grow operation.

I think that the Dukes of Hazard in the 191 Universe could actually be a lot like Trailer Park Boys in our timeline, and instead of being good looking and fit characters, the Bo and Luke Duke of the 191 Universe would probably walk around with their shirts off, get in fights all the time, and would have to kick empty cans of beer out of their way as they as they walked around their homes. Of course they wouldn't have a CS battle flag on top of their car, their car wouldn't be called the General Lee, and I can't remember if Chrysler or Dodge were even mentioned in the 191 series? In our timeline Ford had a pretty cool concept car called the Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II which was supposed to compete with the Dodge Charger, so maybe the Duke boys in the 191 universe would drive something like that.

c5f74cc1-a4cb-45e4-84e4-686c3ba59fe3.jpg

What would be 191’s equivalent of “The Death of Stalin”? The Death of Featherston? The Death of Tsar Nicholas? The Death of Cassius?

What would be 191’s equivalent of “The Death of Stalin”? The Death of Featherston? The Death of Tsar Nicholas? The Death of Cassius?

Death of Hirohito, a propaganda movie about the comical intrigues of the Japanese Imperial court

I was just about to say something like that.

In my own head canon, I view the Japanese transition to democracy in 1989 as an extremely fragile moment in TL-191 world history: a near-successful assassination attempt on the remaining Imperial family nearly caused the Third Great War.

Since The Death of Stalin is classified as a comedy, I can see an even more darker attempt at Black Humor in "The Death of Hirohito".

The works of Disney might have a decent chance to exist in TL-191.

Perhaps we might see some version of Fantasia and, instead of Mickey, have Dopey play the part of the apprentice. (This almost happened in OTL)

wdi_hat_dopey_2.jpg
i put in my own two cents on this a while back; you'll have to follow the quote box below to see the whole list
i'd totally forgotten about this :p there's lots of alternate turns from OTL such as whole films that were scrapped, (it was once possible that a Snow Queen adaptation could've been the first feature-length animated film instead of Snow White, for example) but i can't recall most of them off the top of my head so i'll give a rundown on some probable changes just to the OTL films to start us off:

I was just about to say something like that.

In my own head canon, I view the Japanese transition to democracy in 1989 as an extremely fragile moment in TL-191 world history: a near-successful assassination attempt on the remaining Imperial family nearly caused the Third Great War.

Since The Death of Stalin is classified as a comedy, I can see an even more darker attempt at Black Humor in "The Death of Hirohito".

This also makes me think about what an alternate TL-191 version of "1941"would look like. The Spielberg movie I mean.

1941 poster.jpg

^^^ --- This one. With many incidents like the "Battle of Los Angeles" and the "Bombardment of Ellwood Oil Refinery" mashed up into a comedy movie. With the Second Great War occurring in North America right on the doorstep of the United States, it kinda makes me think about how a similar movie like this would be made, if at all.

This also makes me think about what an alternate TL-191 version of "1941"would look like. The Spielberg movie I mean.

View attachment 495843

^^^ --- This one. With many incidents like the "Battle of Los Angeles" and the "Bombardment of Ellwood Oil Refinery" mashed up into a comedy movie. With the Second Great War occurring in North America right on the doorstep of the United States, it kinda makes me think about how a similar movie like this would be made, if at all.
Maybe a Russian submarine with a stodgy stereotype British naval officer on board instead of a Japanese sub with a German navy officer?

What types of AH fiction exist?
Dr. Turtledove most likely exists in timeline 191 (or more likely a "not Turtledove but totally him." Turteltaub?), so this "alt Turtledove " could have wrote a series about the north seceding from the Union. The New England Confederacy goes on to fight periodic wars with the United States for generations, both sides finding European allies. But in this work, Germany goes fascist under a freedom party analog, headed by some random Sergeant named Adolf Hitler who sees his nation completely annexed and dismembered by the Entente, with the exception Bavaria.

I wonder if there'd be less of a presence of GW2 movies/games in this world since the war was fought so much closer to home than OTL's WW2?

as.jpg

Main Cover Art for the joint German-Ukrainian produced video called Men of War: Assault Squad.

The first game of the Men of War series was actually titled Soldiers: Heroes of the 2nd Great War, which was first released by the Ukrainian Gaming company known as Best Way in 2004. Two years, the game followed up by it's spiritual sequel known as Faces of War, then followed by Men of War in 2008.
soldiers-heroes-of-world-war-ii_11.jpg

A screenshot from Soldiers: Heroes of the 2nd Great War.
Faces-of-War15045.jpg

A screenshot from a mission from the Russian Campaign in Faces of War, known as the Battle of Kiev.

The game series was a real time tactics with 3rd Person shooter elements (namely with it's iconic direct control mode). The game featured skirmish missions (both single player and co-op modes), battlezones, cargo, combat, victory, and frontline modes. Some the unique things to Men of War was that you could manage the inventory of a soldier or vehicle, soldiers are needed to man vehicles, and there is also an editor for the game, which allows players to make custom maps or missions. Faces of War and Soldiers: Heroes of the 2nd Great War all had separate campaigns for the factions of Germany, Russia, Britain, France, the Union, and CSA. Men of War's campaign was more or less a story based campaign, following the path of two German soldiers named Kessler and Schmidt, who were drafted into the Imperial Army on the outbreak of war, in which Schmidt would get captured by the Russians and subsequently escaped from captivity, and thus entering into the German Commando Forces. Kessler would however take part in various Battles on the Russian Front as an infantry officer. The Joint Anglo-French Campaign followed a certain Major Ross, the Russian Campaign followed a Lieutenant Sokolov with the Cossack Troops, and the Union Campaign followed a Sergeant Andrews. The sequel to Men of War was in fact and expansion pack called Broken Trident, which followed the story of the Ukrainian Army during the 2nd Great War, and Condemned Heroes which followed the Ukrainian Partisans, which also featured the German, Russian, and Polish Armies and Partisans. There was also the sequels known as Assault Squad and Assault Squad 2 which both had dynamic campaigns with the newly added factions of the Japanese and the Austro-Hungarians.
men-of-war-assault-squad-2-ostfront-veteranen-pc-cd-key-2.jpg

A screenshot from Men of War: Assault Squad 2 and the Cold Steel Expansion pack.

maxresdefault.jpg

Confederate Soldiers from the popular mod for Assault Squad 2 known as RobZ Realism Mod.

Last edited: