Pop-culture in TL-191

• Thread starter Deleted member 82792
  • Start date

MaxGerke01

Banned
So two thoughts here:
1. Do you think the War of 1812 would be more well known in TL 191 than OTL? Considering the increased emnity between the US and Canada/Britain, I'd assume the War of 1812 would be noted more as one of the earlier conflicts between the US and British Empire, maybe even getting a new name.
Almost definitely.Before the First Great War it would be known as the second time the main ally of the hated CSA interfered with American life and in this case actually burned the White House and part of Washington DC.As much as the USA has a reason to hate the CSA and the French in a way it could be said they have a reason to hate the British the most of all because they tried to destroy the USA from the get go ,made another attempt in 1812,another attempt by recognizing the CSA after the War of Secession,and another attempt by attacking the USA and annexing a portion of Maine after the Second Mexican War.The Remembrance ideology and the strong embrace of Germany as an ally and as a example to be imitated probably wouldnt have been as successful without the hatred of the British to go along with the the hatred of the CSA. The name may not change but Id imagine its much more well known perhaps even more well known than the Revolutionary War which is more likely to be the CSAs favorite war other than the War of Secession.

How will Horror be like in Southern victory/Tl191
I know Lon Chaney was mentioned to have starred in Phantom of the Catacombs. Either the author changed the name or maybe ttl's Universal Studios couldn't get the rights and changed the title.
Boris Karloff is either in Britain or occupied Canada
Bela Lugosi could have died in the Great War, stayed in the A-H empire or emigrated if was part of a failed revolt.
Vincent Price was born in Missouri, so he could be in the Confederacy or the Union.
Peter Lorre, Conrad Veidt, FW Murray, and Fritz Lang will likely remain in Europe.
I think James Whale might emigrate to the US what with Fascist Britain probably not being hospitable for lgbtq people
Tod Browning was born in Kentucky
John Carradine was born in New York.
Lovecraft was born in Rhode Island, while Robert E. Howard was born in Texas.

That's all I can think of for the early 20th century cinematic horror icons.

Btw, I never understood why Turtledove changed the Marx Brothers name. AFAIK that was their legitimate family name!

Last edited:
He's called The Raven, and he started relatively similar except for being stated to be based in Bostan rather than a made up city. However as time went on he became less of an Urban crime fighter and more of a paranormal investigator.
Interesting, I wonder what would the rogues be like, mostly two face or scarecrow
If we’re running g with that Poe influence they’d be The Black Cat, the Gold-Bug, Hop-Frog, and The Conquering Worm to name a few.

"Helenwood"

One of the primary Confederate venues for movie and radio production, Helen GA remained a sort of 'Discount Hollywood' in the eyes of many from its inception in 1903 until shortly after the Second Great War. Because of its 'tendencies towards independence' and support of trend-bucking, many of the Hollywood exiles found their way here starting in the 1930s. By 1957, with James Dean permanently relocating to 'Jaw-juh', Helenwood became a legitimate competitor for media talent. Unexpected hits from Burt Reynolds et al in 'Deliverance', to the time-travel thriller 'Eliminator', to James Cameron's sci-fi horror classic sequel, 'Aliens, Y'all', Helenwood does all sorts of movies - even its adult film industry is expansive. More recently it grabbed the claim to Most Expensive Film Series ever made with the 'Avatar' pentad being filmed and even edited entirely in the region.

I wonder what the John Jakes North and South trilogy would look like. I mean book one would be pretty much the same, and probably about the first few chapters of book 2, but about the rest of the series?

I wonder what the John Jakes North and South trilogy would look like. I mean book one would be pretty much the same, and probably about the first few chapters of book 2, but about the rest of the series?
He probably would cover a different time period considering the Civil War was seen as a brief humiliation rather than a romantic Battle for the Soul of America.

Maybe something similar but set around the First Great War.

9a6F6ii.jpg

A promo image from the Italian Animé series known as Armata Del Liceo or High School Armada, which it was an Italian made response to the runaway success of the British series Azure Lane and was first released in the spring of 2016.
High School Armada was the product of the relatively new Ligurian Animation Studio or Studio di Animazione Ligure, which was based out of the coastal city of Savona in the Kingdom of Italy. The plot followed the crew of the destroyer Bersagliere and it's captain (and protagonist) named Graziana Ferrari who had joined the in the La Spezia Girls Naval Academy in order to join the famous Blue Mermaids. As she and her classmates set out to sea aboard the Bersagliere, an incident would occur with their instructor which would lead them to branded as deserters. The crew of the Bersagliere would embark on a journey to avoid being pursued and also to discover the truth to what is going on. Several ships from the Second Great War era Regia Marina would be featured in the show, such as the Battleships Roma and Andrea Doria, the Maestrale and Soldati class destroyers, and the British heavy cruiser HMS Norfolk (a ship where one of Ferrari's comrades named Wilda Saunders came from.) Since the release of the animé series, a series of graphic novels would be published as well as the release of a mobile-phone game in 2018 and a movie adaptation in 2020.

They shall been have a TL-191 of The Magnificent Kotobuki with few changes only using Western Fighter Aircraft instead of Japanese Aircraft

Last edited:
No idea if this has been talked about yet, but what would sports be like in this world? Would Baseball still be big in Japan and/or China in TL 191, for example?

No idea if this has been talked about yet, but what would sports be like in this world? Would Baseball still be big in Japan and/or China in TL 191, for example?
Probably not, Japan is Ultranationalist as fuck. So they would banned the Sport all together.
China on the Other hand may be popular for the Average Chinese would play to Pissed off the Japanese