Pop-culture in TL-191

Do the Muppets exist?
Hard to say. Jim Henson was born in Mississippi 1936, moved to Maryland in 1946 and only broke into puppeteering in the 50s when he got a job at a local Washington, D.C. kids show. So many links in the chain that could be broken but when has that stopped TL-191? Would be interesting if a TL-191 retained some of his earlier characters and continued a bit of a darker sense of humour.
(also, Kermit is surprisingly old, been around since at least 1955)

A fictional battle scene from a cinematic adaptation of Larry Frenchen's Northern Victory/Antietam Timeline series

Considered one of the most memorable battles from the first book, the Battle of Fort Wagner features an All-Black regiment fighting near Charleston in then-Confederate South Carolina.

Alongside other fictional battles such as Antietam, Gettysburg, Vicksburg and The Crater, this battle holds a special place for American readers, especially Blacks, who love the portrayal of liberated slaves fighting with intense bravery and determination against an enemy who dare to enslave human beings because of the color of their skin.

Last edited:
1596829902631.png

a scene depicting the US counteroffensive to flank the CSA's forces during the Battle of Pittsburgh, seen in Steel City (1949)
the production of the film benefited from many veterans of the battle from both sides being able to offer consultation, Including Irving Morrell and George Patton, as well as a large amount of ex-CSA equipment, especially barrels, still in running order. Indeed, some of the "actors" in the movie were ex-CSA troops playing themselves, which caused a bit of controversy!

Have we talked about what Harry Potter would look like?
I can't imagine it would be too different in setting: a story by an English Author set in England is perfectly rational.
as to actual SUBJECT matter, that's something else. Mind you, we'd be 50+ years removed from the war at this point, so who knows what a post-fascist UK would even tolerate (if they're even post-fascist, i could see Mosleyism under a different name still being in power)
In that context, the UK doubling down on conservatism, religious or otherwise, might not even tolerate a story about magic and wizards.

Have we talked about what Harry Potter would look like?
I can't imagine it would be too different in setting: a story by an English Author set in England is perfectly rational.
as to actual SUBJECT matter, that's something else. Mind you, we'd be 50+ years removed from the war at this point, so who knows what a post-fascist UK would even tolerate (if they're even post-fascist, i could see Mosleyism under a different name still being in power)
In that context, the UK doubling down on conservatism, religious or otherwise, might not even tolerate a story about magic and wizards.
The climax of HP is how a fascist terrorist group manages to infiltrate the upper schellons of society and start a dictatorship in the process to purge undesirables that was fortunately stopped before they could go full-power

The climax of HP is how a fascist terrorist group manages to infiltrate the upper schellons of society and start a dictatorship in the process to purge undesirables that was fortunately stopped before they could go full-power
Right. Which would likely not resonate well in the UK, given who they were Allied with AND who they themselves used to be (and quite possibly still were)

Has anyone mentioned what happens to the jitterbug or the Charleston and 1920s flapper culture in general OTL?
Swing dancer here. I know some of the history so I'll give this a shot.

What I'd imagine would happen to it, much like what I'd imagine what would happen to jazz, is that it'd have a connotation of survival that it doesn't have in our timeline. It becomes hallowed.

There would be far less appreciation of black dance and music by white people, partially because of the border between the two countries preventing much of the OTL Great Migration and as such the loss of the New York scene and the Savoy Ballroom would put a stop to the racial integration that certain scenes became known for.

You do have the antecedents to Blues Dance in the South already; due to the sanctification I mentioned earlier it might not become the rather raunchy dance it's become in OTL, but it's said that southern Blacks were more prudish than southern Whites, so it could still move in that direction. A TL-191 Swing Kids might revolve around one of these blues dancing communities.

Interestingly, this world has no American possession of Cuba so Cuban dances wouldn't make their way to New York, leading to their transformation by Arthur Murray into their American forms (still danced today) and their grouping with waltz, east coast swing, and a few others to form what we call 'ballroom dance.' In particular you wouldn't see the transformation of the urban black Lindy Hop (a descendant of Charleston, and which in TL-191 would have a different name) into East Coast Swing, designed to be easily teachable and more palatable to middle-class whites.

What would star trek be like?
What would an episode of Star Trek be like in the 191 universe? Well, I think that it might go something like the screen play I've posted at the below blog site.

https://startrek191.blogspot.com/2020/08/thefollowing-is-episode-of-television.html

Alright, I admit that I posted about 20% of this a few months back, but I've since fixed a lot of the errors, and this time around it is actually a complete story instead of just a strange blurb of a random idea.

Also, after the events described in the above blog, the crew of the Enterprise (I mean Essex) arrive at Earth to find that not only have they been transported back to the year 1968, but that they've also been transported to a version of reality in which the CSA won the Second Great War and totally dismantled the US. Don't know if I'll get around to typing that one out, because I'm thinking about another episode titled "Tribbles are the Solution".

In Tribbles are the Solution, the ship is being overrun with pesky tribbles, while at the same time the Essex is visiting a planet which is being stricken with a famine. Captain Kirk decides to feed the tribbles to the starving natives, and the rest just writes itself.

Birth of a Nation replaces God and Generals.( How the CSA won the war)
All quiet on the Potomac Front (instead of All quiet on the western front)
True Blood (a tale of confederate vampires)
Saving Gefreiter Von Müller(based on the Battle of Stalingrad) instead of saving private Ryan

Last edited:
Swing dancer here. I know some of the history so I'll give this a shot.

What I'd imagine would happen to it, much like what I'd imagine what would happen to jazz, is that it'd have a connotation of survival that it doesn't have in our timeline. It becomes hallowed.

There would be far less appreciation of black dance and music by white people, partially because of the border between the two countries preventing much of the OTL Great Migration and as such the loss of the New York scene and the Savoy Ballroom would put a stop to the racial integration that certain scenes became known for.

You do have the antecedents to Blues Dance in the South already; due to the sanctification I mentioned earlier it might not become the rather raunchy dance it's become in OTL, but it's said that southern Blacks were more prudish than southern Whites, so it could still move in that direction. A TL-191 Swing Kids might revolve around one of these blues dancing communities.

Interestingly, this world has no American possession of Cuba so Cuban dances wouldn't make their way to New York, leading to their transformation by Arthur Murray into their American forms (still danced today) and their grouping with waltz, east coast swing, and a few others to form what we call 'ballroom dance.' In particular you wouldn't see the transformation of the urban black Lindy Hop (a descendant of Charleston, and which in TL-191 would have a different name) into East Coast Swing, designed to be easily teachable and more palatable to middle-class whites.
Hey, SpanishSpy. Long time no see.
How's that Radioshow podcast? Is it still active?

Anyway, this is one of my favorite things that I keep finding out about the TL-191 Universe: It's more than just history being changed; the culture, music, entertainment industry, Science & Technology, etc. is deeply affected by a southern victory.

A few posters on have tried to come up with their version of how dance and music might be from the past few years. The last time I checked, one guy wrote that the near extinction of Jazz may have allowed Latin American music to fill that mostly empty space. Without a strong foundation of Jazz, Rock n' Roll and its derivatives may not develop as well as it did in real-life.

I tend to argue that Electronic music, such as Europop, may become more mainstream, compared to OTL.

Hey, SpanishSpy. Long time no see.
How's that Radioshow podcast? Is it still active?

Anyway, this is one of my favorite things that I keep finding out about the TL-191 Universe: It's more than just history being changed; the culture, music, entertainment industry, Science & Technology, etc. is deeply affected by a southern victory.

A few posters on have tried to come up with their version of how dance and music might be from the past few years. The last time I checked, one guy wrote that the near extinction of Jazz may have allowed Latin American music to fill that mostly empty space. Without a strong foundation of Jazz, Rock n' Roll and its derivatives may not develop as well as it did in real-life.

I tend to argue that Electronic music, such as Europop, may become more mainstream, compared to OTL.
The podcast we're hashing through - our next big episode is being recorded in late September.

The issue with Latin American music taking the place of black music is that so much of the music Americans love came from Cuba, and it's not American in this timeline. It would look more Mexican than Cuban if it does come to be, especially if the US gets Sonora and Chihuahua.

I'd hazard the guess that the big musical craze here is Central and Eastern European music (polka, klezmer, etc.) - it has a presence through immigrants, and it'll become even more popular as the alliance with Germany and Austria-Hungary develops.