Politics in a US with these borders

This is likely one of those paradoxes where a USA this large containing so many internal divisions and tensions both needs a gigantic common enemy to engender a sense of shared identity and probably can't afford to project as much power abroad due to domestic priorities. Some kind of Cold War on steroids where the nuclear bomb doesn't exist somehow and the soviets steamrolled western europe and the US is now assimilating hordes of refugees fleeing soviet domination from everywhere in the old world + a US that is so concerned about the possibility of a communist foothold in its neighborhood it's annexing everything remotely vulnerable to being subverted.

Lusitania

Donor
This is likely one of those paradoxes where a USA this large containing so many internal divisions and tensions both needs a gigantic common enemy to engender a sense of shared identity and probably can't afford to project as much power abroad due to domestic priorities. Some kind of Cold War on steroids where the nuclear bomb doesn't exist somehow and the soviets steamrolled western europe and the US is now assimilating hordes of refugees fleeing soviet domination from everywhere in the old world + a US that is so concerned about the possibility of a communist foothold in its neighborhood it's annexing everything remotely vulnerable to being subverted.
I believe this uS is more of a xenophobic dictatirship practicing occupation of all the Carribean and Latin America.

We'd need to discuss the timeline first. Personally, I propose the following:
With the Napoleonic Wars, the French and the Americans form an alliance. Louisiana and Cayenne are sold to the US, and the US seizes control of European colonial possessions. Spain in particular is forced by the French to give up their territory, allowing the US to have at it. They also align with Simon Bolivar. Bolivar's vision in this timeline, however, is not of Gran Colombia as a union of Hispanic states, but is for the Americas as a whole to be united. As a result, Canada, Alaska, and much of New Spain become part of the US. Also, perhaps the Napoleonic Wars are longer in this TL, giving the US more time to do this.

Essentially, the US would be bound in a federation with strong national values such as liberty and all that jazz, but America may have less of a single national identity. It would instead see itself as a multicultural multiethnic federal empire of liberty.

I'm curious, how the hell does OTL continental US have the same internal provincial boundaries. It doesn't seem all that fair how Canada and Mexico's internal boundaries get vivisected and rearranged but the continental US's boundaries seem roughly the same as OTL.

yea, that stood out to me as a bit odd.

how many sports teams would the nfl,nba and mlb have ?does the nhl gain any popularity? I believe the mls would...silly question but it does provide some background

Meanwhile, Mexico, population 123.6 million, is divided between nine, with the eponymous state having over 51 million people, which is more than 2300 times the population of the least populous of these states, Palau. You could probably come up with some sort of scenario in which they make sense, but some of these boundaries are pretty weird: the absence of the rest of Colombia and Venezuela, the decision to make northeastern Ontario (<200k) its own state, the decision to name that state Canada, dividing Quebec down the St Lawrence... I'm very curious as to the logic behind some of these choices.

Really, the population of the country would hard to be tracked - as mentioned before, does Mexico go through the demographic transition? Does the rest of the US not? Etc.

Still, I agree here. Mexico, the state, should be divided into at least 3/4 states. Occidente into about 2 at least.

Why does Arizona even have the Gadsden purchase border? That's an odd one to have, for certain.

Frankly, some of those Canadian states could actually part of American ones (the plains provinces and the northern US OTL ones). "Canada", the state, should have more of Ontario and probably Kenora to make an effective state. Quebec get St Lawrence back, etc.

Palau should be merged with the rest of Micronesia, as why it would be separate in the first place would be... odd. Same with the Marshall Islands and Mariana Islands (I honestly thought that was Polynesia at first glance, so didn't note it first). Having a greater Samoa as a state is fine, I feel. The population point is against them, but they'd easily meet the minimum should be larger than greater Micronesia.

Also Bermuda shouldn't be a state either. It should either be like OTL Guam, or be attached to another state (Virginia or Bahamas would be initial thought).

Basically, very very odd...

A simple Google Image Search yielded this post, here on AH.com, as the most likely original map post. You should contact @Unionist, apologise, say that you didn't know how to use Google Image Search and belately ask for his permission to use his map.
To me, it seems like they found it somewhere else, if they're asking for someone else to help them add stuff to it.
Also, I found it was posted on Reddit, several months before they brought it up here, as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/AlternateH...lized_map_for_my_atl_united_states_thanks_to/

Lusitania

Donor
To me, it seems like they found it somewhere else, if they're asking for someone else to help them add stuff to it.
Also, I found it was posted on Reddit, several months before they brought it up here, as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/AlternateH...lized_map_for_my_atl_united_states_thanks_to/
Yes but regardless of where we find things that are created by others we need to identify it. I think a simple edit to the 1st post by author of this thread to identify the source and author would be sufficient. We all make mistakes and a simple fix resolves the problem.

What I was wondering why the author of the thread had not acknowledged the comments made about the improbable Canadian north provinces plus what country US would be having war mongering background to conquer all Carribean and Central America. Now I understand because they not author of the map.

Pretty ASB, but disregarding the internal divisions, I can see at least parts of this map happening if the US somehow noms Canada during the Revolution or the War of 1812. Big obstacle to hurdle right from the getgo, but if it works then the glut of free land from St. Louis to Charlottetown will really incentivize the South into expanding west and south (now that I think about it, the southern half of the map looks awfully like the proposed Golden Circle...).

Successfuly making good citizens out of Catholic Latins who used to have independent nations will also require a US that doesn't mind turning the WASPs into a plurality in as early as 1860. Tall order, but maybe the Southern gentry are desperate enough to balance the Senate that they would try to find common cause with the caudillo elites in Mexico and Central America?

Perhaps the Walker Expedition is a lot more successful and adds Central America to the Union, All of Mexico passes Congress after much lobbying, and the Spanish East Indies is annexed following a war with Spain shortly after the Ostend Manifesto is published. How the US can plausibly take the Colombian and Venezuelan provinces hugging the Gulf, or the other European holdings in the Caribbean, I know not.

Rather than complaining about the division of Csnada...the question was, what's the politics of the US with these borders? ...Many of the Canadian territories are just that, territories, not states yet. Problem solved. As far as language, Bilingual...French just isn't that big a deal, Spanish is. If Canada was absorbed by 1815 we may have put up with Francophone BS for a while, but after an uprising or two, French would be outlawed or greatly discouraged and would be taught at home only.

We may find a two party presidential system not very effective in this nation, and amend the Constitution to a parliamentary, multiparty system. If we gained the Latin American territory by 1900 then we are energy independent and not as involved in the Middle east. We would also have been a much more dominant player in the 20th Century wars, having a massive navy and dominating the Atlantic and most of the Pacific...before entering the wars. Hell, we might be able to prevent them just by leaning on the culprits.