Political Effects of New Brunswick Joining The ARW And Becoming A State?

Let's say that new Brunswick joins the American revolution. Could be that British taxes are just that little bit worse, or red coat actions shock the people to the point where they send delegates to the continental congress. Now, I'm fully aware that fear of British reprisal was strong and that trade with the UK was even more important in the province than in the otl 13 colonies. But, let's simply roll with it. What would this province/state mean for the US politically if it keeps the region? I don't see why the us wouldn't get it, since Britain held new York for the bulk of the war but they gave that over, same with (I believe,) Georgia.

I suspect that the state of New Brunswick would be a very sparsely populated one, without the loyalist political refugees bolstering the population. Being a new England state, I suspect it would lean to the federalists for the same reason the rest of new England did- trade with Britain and protectionism otherwise would be economically important. However, I don't believe it would be enough to stave off the war of 1812, which I imagine would see a lot of fighting on NB ttl.

As the 19th century goes on, would new Brunswick grow at the same rate as the rest of the north, or would it lag behind? What could that mean? After all, the province would be distant from the ports of New York and Boston, but could that make its own Saint John grow further, or would Nova Scota (which I fully admit I thought was an island before I double checked) get in the way?

And for funsies what would Nebraska's next most logical name be?

I assume you mean the territory which would in OTL become New Brunswick, as it wasn't formed as a separate colony until 1784 - the year after the Treaty of Paris.

Massachusetts might go "it's free real estate", and try to annex it to the District of Maine.

It almost certainly doesn't get called New Brunswick ITTL, though, since it was named that specifically after George III.

I assume you mean the territory which would in OTL become New Brunswick, as it wasn't formed as a separate colony until 1784 - the year after the Treaty of Paris.

Massachusetts might go "it's free real estate", and try to annex it to the District of Maine.

It almost certainly doesn't get called New Brunswick ITTL, though, since it was named that specifically after George III.
Huh, noted. Well, that makes borders a bit fuzzy. I suppose a bit of a west virginia thing could happen, but might that sour relations with the rest of the colonies with vague internal separatism?

And what could be some logical names then? Fredericton, after the town? Something more tied to the natives?

Huh, noted. Well, that makes borders a bit fuzzy. I suppose a bit of a west virginia thing could happen, but might that sour relations with the rest of the colonies with vague internal separatism?
The exact boundaries of Maine were poorly defined until the Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842.

All things considered, I don't expect the demographics of an American New Brunswick to be all that different to Maine, except maybe with more French speakers.
And what could be some logical names then? Fredericton, after the town?
Fredericton (previously Pointe-Ste-Anne) was renamed that at around the same time as New Brunswick was founded as a colony. Plus, it was named after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, George III's second son. So, again, definitely not being named that.
Something more tied to the natives?
The Saint John River was called Wolastoq by the Maliseet-Passamaquody peoples of the region. It could be rendered as Wolastock in English.

The Maliseet lived in most of New Brunswick. Alternatively, it could be called Wabanaki.

Or maybe Acadia.

And what could be some logical names then? Fredericton, after the town? Something more tied to the natives?

Fredericton didn't even exist until the War of Independence - the French had a settlement called Pointe Ste-Anne in the same place, but it was destroyed in 1758 and it was only in 1783 that Fredericton was founded, and named after one of the sons of George III.

And anyhow, it's not usual for American states to be named after their capitals. For all we know, in such a case, they might actually name the state "Acadia", since many of the Acadians that settled again in the area after Britain allowed them to return wound up around New Brunswick.

Last edited: