Plausible Kingdom of Aquitaine in the 12th century?

Assume William IX Duke of Aquitaine, Gascogne, Count of Poitou presses his wife Philippa's claim on the County of Toulouse and doesn't mortgage the county afterward to Bertrand to go on a disastrous Crusade.

His son only has daughters (Eleanor of Aquitaine) like OTL. Eleanor inherits everything and marries the SOLE son of Ramon Berenguer III who therefore controls both the County of Provence and Barcelona.

Basically, we have a unification of all Occitan speaking lands (and the Angevin Empire butterflied). We can then have the son born to Eleanor and Ramon Berenguer IV marry Petronilla of Aragon to gain the Kingdom of Aragon.

From there, engineer a scenario that leads to rebellion against France to perhaps join the HRE as the Kingdom of Aquitaine-Aragon.

What does a rump France look like in the future? How influential would such a kingdom be for the age?

Last edited:
Interesting scenario. Actually I don't think Louis VI and his son (could be alt-Philippe II instead of Louis VII as Philippe's death can be butterflied easily) would be in a position to win a war against a unified Aquitaine-Toulouse-Provence-Barcelona, especially as Eleanor and her alt-family would easily find allies. I don't know if they'd seek an alliance with HRE but they could with England or Brittany, especially as Duke Conan III and his son-in-law were trying to restore the Kingdom of Brittany at the time, which makes them potential allies.

Is dangereuse (william's mistress) not a player? Cause I'm almost 100% that one of the reasons the Aquitainians never got Toulouse was because Philippa left her husband for a nunnery to express her disappointment over him bringing Dangereuse to their house. This also means Eleanor of Aquitaine is butterflied, because her mother was Dangereuse's daughter, who married William IX's son because of their parents' schemes.

Is dangereuse (william's mistress) not a player? Cause I'm almost 100% that one of the reasons the Aquitainians never got Toulouse was because Philippa left her husband for a nunnery to express her disappointment over him bringing Dangereuse to their house. This also means Eleanor of Aquitaine is butterflied, because her mother was Dangereuse's daughter, who married William IX's son because of their parents' schemes.
Well, the POD's before William IX meets Dangereuse so he may not meet her ITTL.

William took over the County taking advantage of Raymond's absence on Crusade in 1098, but then he mortgaged Toulouse to Bertrand to go on a Crusade himself where he almost died. He then took up with Dangereuse AFTER he returned from the 1101 Crusade, he already gave up Toulouse by that time. I don't see why keeping Toulouse/not going on Crusade means he won't take up with her.

Last edited:
This is a fun idea. I've occasionally contemplated the idea of a transpyrenean polity.. butterflies would be incredibly interesting, and well worth a timeline. English dominance over France, a different reconquista, possibly substantial religious ramifications with the albigensians coming, etc etc etc. Probably no hre involvement though; the languedoc feels a bit beyond imperial reach