Plausibility Check:The Vatican and San Marino didn't stay neutral.

Right as it says on the tin, during WW2 can you think of any way to have the Vatican come under threat of invasion and thus have to stop its neutrality, and then ally with whoever attacked it be it Axis or Allied. Same with San Marino. It would be VERY interesting to see some Swiss Guards fight some Nazis...

DAMN IT! I posted it in the wrong section! Well..until it gets moved, can we still answer on it?

(I reported it to ask the mods to move it to post-1900.)

The Nazis had distinct suspicions, if not absolute evidence, that the Vatican was harboring many Jews. (It was.) IOTL, they didn't attack because they didn't want the horrible publicity, I think. But with Hitler as insane as he was, I certainly wouldn't call an invasion impossible.

(I reported it to ask the mods to move it to post-1900.)

The Nazis had distinct suspicions, if not absolute evidence, that the Vatican was harboring many Jews. (It was.) IOTL, they didn't attack because they didn't want the horrible publicity, I think. But with Hitler as insane as he was, I certainly wouldn't call an invasion impossible.
How long do you think the Vatican would last?

How long do you think the Vatican would last?
Well the Vatican itself wouldn't be able to resist at all it isn't like the swiss guards could put up much of a fight against the SS. the real question is what would be the result in Europe when they here Hitler has attacked the pope.

Well the Vatican itself wouldn't be able to resist at all it isn't like the swiss guards could put up much of a fight against the SS. the real question is what would be the result in Europe when they here Hitler has attacked the pope.

if Hitler attacked the pope and executed him, i think a lot of people are going to be angry. then they have to elect a new pope and cardinals somewhere else since Vatican is occupied.

if Hitler attacked the pope and executed him, i think a lot of people are going to be angry. then they have to elect a new pope and cardinals somewhere else since Vatican is occupied.
But if the Cardinals can't leave Italy we may get to see the sight of hitler trying to pressurise them into electing a sutible candidate. Do you think this could lead to another anti-pope?

But if the Cardinals can't leave Italy we may get to see the sight of hitler trying to pressurise them into electing a sutible candidate. Do you think this could lead to another anti-pope?
What about San Marino? Do you think if the Vatican AND San Marino teamed up, they would provide at least decent resistance?

no i think the cardinals would be killed as well. some other catholic country that isn't occupied or Fascist would have to elect new cardinals and a pope, at least on a temporary basis.

What about San Marino? Do you think if the Vatican AND San Marino teamed up, they would provide at least decent resistance?
No. Two specks of land completely cut off from resupply or reinforcement aren't any harder to handle than one is.

what would the nuetral catholic countries do.

Hundreds of thousands troups from south america join in on the invasion of Europe.
Even if the governments don't officialy join how many volenters would there be

Technically OTL there was a German occupation of San Marino during the assault on the Gothic Line. It lasted for a couple of weeks before the allies ejected them. This did not lead to San Marino declaring a seccesion of Neutrality. If the Germans had occupied the country much earlier (say when the allies had taken Rome) then they might have done otherwise.

EDIT: Actually they had a facist government which declared war on the Allies in 1940, followed by neutrality after the facists were ousted soon after Mussolini fell, and then they declared war on Germany after the occupation.

Last edited:
This would be a godsent for the German resistance. While Hitler wasn't a catholic except by baptism, he had many catholics among his supporters, even in the SS (for ex. Leon Degrelle). If all of them suddenly abandon him, he could easily fall.

mowque

Banned
Happily, Catholicism is flexible so the Church will survive. Sadly, they'll probably loot and pillage the Vatican itself, but we can always reform the College of Cardinals and elect someone else.

Pius set out policy to deal with the Vatican being attacked. Basically, he'll step down as Pope and the leadership of the Church will be transferred to Rio De Janeiro for the duration of the conflict. Once the Cardinals have arrived in Brazil, a Papal Conclave will be called.

mowque

Banned
Pius set out policy to deal with the Vatican being attacked. Basically, he'll step down as Pope and the leadership of the Church will be transferred to Rio De Janeiro for the duration of the conflict. Once the Cardinals have arrived in Brazil, a Papal Conclave will be called.

Do you have a link or anything? That would interest me greatly.

Technically, San Marino was part of the Axis (or at war against Britain at least) up to the moment Italy switched sides, and part of the Allies after that.

It is also the only country in History that has officially surrendered through telephone by the way.

I have this weird and military-ecumenical image of the Bishop of Rome being liberated by the Royal Inniskillings.