Planetocopia Map Thread

The Arctic peninsula would of course be covered in ice, but would all of the Red Sea also? Would it be called the Arctic Sea?
With the Atlantic being a West-East sea instead of North-South, it'd get way warmer, wouldn't it?

The Diomede Islands would be VERY strategic. Either a City state forms or one or two early colonial empires set up naval bases there.

Thought: That map creator tool would be better if it also had a Topographic mode (including rivers, and without the ice sheets?).

It looks a lot like Jaredia, actually.

That southern coast of the Americas, and Antarctica and Australia, looks like it could be an extended temperate zone with rainy summers and snowy winters, with prevailing winds next to the coast go east to west, and further out west to east, lending itself to trade routes.

The Arctic peninsula would of course be covered in ice, but would all of the Red Sea also? Would it be called the Arctic Sea?
With the Atlantic being a West-East sea instead of North-South, it'd get way warmer, wouldn't it?

The Diomede Islands would be VERY strategic. Either a City state forms or one or two early colonial empires set up naval bases there.

Red Sea looks like it would be frozen solid, the Persian Gulf could be passable for part of the year or with ice-breakers.

Thought: That map creator tool would be better if it also had a Topographic mode (including rivers, and without the ice sheets?).

We can get something like that with GProjector, but I can't get it to work on my current PC's. I'm getting a new PC set up this week or next, so I might be able to cook up one with altitude data.

Just thought I'd post the slightly updated version of my Apex Earth map in the more appropriate thread.

Here it is with modern borders overlaid, also showing where historical sea levels were. Green was underwater and then revealed by the New Ice Age, blue was only flooded during the New Ice Age.

pTQFMFe.jpg

I'm thinking about adding some man-made lakes to Australia, around the Murray-Darling, and enlarging that lake between Australia and New Guinea. And maybe the Sea of Japan could have a different level from the sea, that could be interesting. There would definitely be a shipping canal at Tsugaru, where the straights between Honshu and Hokkaido are right now. Same with the Red Sea, it could have a different level, and would definitely have shipping canals at either end. Mega-engineering and geo-engineering would be mature technologies in this setting, but they'd still be complicated by politics and economics, so they'd be focused on places that could cooperate in creating them.

That southern coast of the Americas, and Antarctica and Australia, looks like it could be an extended temperate zone with rainy summers and snowy winters, with prevailing winds next to the coast go east to west, and further out west to east, lending itself to trade routes.
The Coast from about Novaja Zemlja to Cape Verde looks like it'd be great for trade routes as well. Loads of costs could be good for that on this map. Be hard to tell properly without seeing weather patterns, winds, currents, sea levels etc. I do wonder what a south pole with only a few islands and mostly open & deep ocean would be like. Would there be an floating ice sheet like in our arctic? Would it at times wobble off-pole? Our arctic sea ice is held in place by the land around it. This antarctic wouldn't be.
Sea levels! Would this world have a northern ice sheet bigger in volume than our Antarctic? Would the this south pole vs our north pole? Would it balance out? If Sea level is like 50-60 meters lower we'd see a land bridge between Siberia and Alaska. Huge impact on global trade in until railroads and/or a canal can be built.

Red Sea looks like it would be frozen solid, the Persian Gulf could be passable for part of the year or with ice-breakers.
The Red Sea is over 2.5 km deep at its deepest. I'm thinking it wonät freeze all the way down. But the entire surface would ice over and the Bab-el-Mandeb is only 300 meters deep so it could definitely go all ice.

I think the base map needs to be a topographical one instead of one showing vegetation. It would need to show height above sea level and depth below sea level. And preferably rivers, lakes (and lake-shore lines for endoheric basins so one could work out the size of lakes and where outflow rivers would go if the area gets enough rainfall).

Also: a request: a map showing my city, Stockholm, as the North Pole.

This software I have only flips and distorts the map rather than taking into account sea levels and climate change. How might one modify this following map to take into account changes in the climate?:

That would require an entirely different engine on top of what it has already. You'd need to have it so that it would color based on latitude and continent placement, which I suppose might be doable. On the other hand, calculating sea levels would be a fairly involved undertaking that I'm not sure the scientific community has proper models for yet.

Starforce

Banned
fExQTr4.jpg

Here's one if Baghdad was at the North Pole.

More importantly, I wanted to ask advice for this map.

This software I have only flips and distorts the map rather than taking into account sea levels and climate change. How might one modify this following map to take into account changes in the climate?:

BAKfcXB.jpg

8P7EoJV.jpg

(Alternate version with latitude, longitude and OTL Earth comparison)
If someone could do a worlda version of this latter one with sea levels factored in, I'd be very thankful :) Any advice onto how this would alter the climate would help too.

Yeah I want to know the same things aswell, this is a very interesting map.

Here’s an original idea proposed by Dragonthunders on Deviantart. He called it Cryosahul, for reasons that should be obvious. His version is a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the software I’d been using too, so I hope it looks fine to you;

0.png

Here’s an original idea proposed by Dragonthunders on Deviantart. He called it Cryosahul, for reasons that should be obvious. His version is a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the software I’d been using too, so I hope it looks fine to you;
Hmm. Australia at the pole. The question is whether the currents can flow through the Sunda gap at a fast enough rate to "keep the refrigerator closed"

North Atlantic is the new arctic and South Atlantic/Indian are the new Atlantic

0.png
Random ramble:

What would the sea levels look like, I wonder. Obviously the Caribbean is gonna be the new Antarctica (as Antarctica is technically an archipeligo under all that ice) to hold that ice.

I bet there will be quite the interesting geopolitical debacles in this kind of world centered around trade routes through the Drake Passage. Also Russia possibly becoming a major naval power due to all of that warm water port potential.

The only bad thing is those Venezuelan oil fields are gonna be a permafrosted tundra. Americaball would be sad.

Random ramble:

What would the sea levels look like, I wonder. Obviously the Caribbean is gonna be the new Antarctica (as Antarctica is technically an archipeligo under all that ice) to hold that ice.

I bet there will be quite the interesting geopolitical debacles in this kind of world centered around trade routes through the Drake Passage. Also Russia possibly becoming a major naval power due to all of that warm water port potential.

The only bad thing is those Venezuelan oil fields are gonna be a permafrosted tundra. Americaball would be sad.
The antipodes of Australia is in the Mid-Atlantic with almost *no* overlap with land. The closest Islands would be either Bermuda or the Bahamas, both of which are going to be at 75-80 degrees North. Closer to the situation in our Arctic than our Antarctic.

I agree the Drake Passage will be a chokepoint, *but* my expectation is that our Warmedup Antarctica would allow some passages. Singapore, not Panama.

Looks like the Venezuela and Alaskan Oil get flipped in Climate. OTOH, I'm having trouble telling whether OTL Arabia would be Desert or Jungle, not sure where the Equator is.

The antipodes of Australia is in the Mid-Atlantic with almost *no* overlap with land. The closest Islands would be either Bermuda or the Bahamas, both of which are going to be at 75-80 degrees North. Closer to the situation in our Arctic than our Antarctic.

I agree the Drake Passage will be a chokepoint, *but* my expectation is that our Warmedup Antarctica would allow some passages. Singapore, not Panama.

Looks like the Venezuela and Alaskan Oil get flipped in Climate. OTOH, I'm having trouble telling whether OTL Arabia would be Desert or Jungle, not sure where the Equator is.
Yeah, it seems that the Equator is poking through Yemen and Oman. As for desert climates, I wouldn't be surprised to see Alaska become one.

Random ramble:

I speculate that due to Australia being considerably smaller than Antarctica (especially with ice weighing it down) and the Caribbean much smaller than Greenland, there’s be smaller ice caps and therefore higher sea levels, by 30-50m in my estimate. This also means a higher global temperature as less light and heat is reflected into space, which makes the ice shallower in turn. So my estimate is similar to OTL’s Pliocene or even late Miocene, though that could be inaccurate.

The Drake Passage is also the main thing stopping Antarctica from being totally isolated and therefore home to all sorts of unique flora and fauna. The Bering Straight, near the equator, would house a shallow sea and would be easy for sea faring peoples to cross, especially advanced civilisations on either side. Alt-Russian civilisations may occur in the east which is near or one the equator, and ‘western’ Siberia would be more like China.

Well it and northern ‘South America’ would be like Siberia in climate, with the Caribbean islands similar to arctic islands.
The equator, as of the other version of the map in the map request thread (with otl latitudes for direct comparison), runs through Ethiopia, Somalia, Oman, Iran, Central Asia, Siberia, Hawaii and West Antarctica. That, along with the fact this world would be wetter and slightly warmer than otl would make these regions prime territory for jungles.

Last edited:
I'm honestly a bit disappointed that no-one's put in the effort to make Worldas or QBAMs of any of the other Planetocopia planet designs. For reference:

http://www.worlddreambank.com/PLANETS.HTM

I was especially looking forward to QBAMs of Lyr, Oisin and Xanadu, since I may need them for a future project and can't do this kind of mapping myself. For reference in getting the right map sizes, the equatorial circumferences of those three are:

Lyr: 93000/40075 = 232.06% of Earth
Oisin: 15700/40075 = 39.18% of Earth
Xanadu: 19200/40075 = 47.91% of Earth

Last edited:
I'm honestly a bit disappointed that no-one's put in the effort to make Worldas or QBAMs of any of the other Planetocopia planet designs. For reference:

http://www.worlddreambank.com/PLANETS.HTM

I was especially looking forward to QBAMs of Lyr, Oisin and Xanadu, since I may need them for a future project and can't do this kind of mapping myself. For reference in getting the right map sizes, the equatorial circumferences of those three are:

Lyr: 93000/40075 = 232.06% of Earth
Oisin: 15700/40075 = 39.18% of Earth
Xanadu: 19200/40075 = 47.91% of Earth
I tried to do one for Lyr. Turns out Lyr is big.