Planetocopia Map Thread

Alright, I was inspired by rvbomally inquiring about maps of Chris Wayan's tilted earths to give this a go. Thanks in part to several map projection related programs I've picked up off the net, all I should need to do to make a tilted worlda map of earth is to simulate it, resize the basemap and then sketch over the original image. It's a bit tricky and prone to human error (one person over a few hours with an unfamiliar geography , compared to years of careful editing of the original worlda map, you see...) but if nothing else the results should be something to work off of.

Starting off with Jaredia, with a pole in Africa and Polynesia:

YlHn5SC.jpg

Thande

Donor
Yep! GProjector is a thing of beauty.

I'm trying out some other methods at the moment, but for now I'm just using this equirectangular projector (the results of which then go through GProjector) and then sketching over it with MSPaint and Paint.Net. Pic for reference.
Very good, though that programme is showing OTL Earth from different perspectives rather than actually rotating it - which has consequences for things like sea levels.

Very good, though that programme is showing OTL Earth from different perspectives rather than actually rotating it - which has consequences for things like sea levels.

...That it is, but once you've got a map of the OTL sea level you can manually increase or decrease the land cover by drawing it on. Mind - I'm not sure whether that's _actually_ easier than just getting a equirectangular map with an appropriate sea level and then worlda'ing that instead.

All the same, here's the Jaredia worlda.

NbN6t8n.png

Feedback appreciated!

Thande

Donor
...That it is, but once you've got a map of the OTL sea level you can manually increase or decrease the land cover by drawing it on. Mind - I'm not sure whether that's _actually_ easier than just getting a equirectangular map with an appropriate sea level and then worlda'ing that instead.
Yeah, I assumed that was what you were doing. Nice work.

Max Sinister had a Jaredia map years ago for a TL he did, but it wasn't as detailed as yours.

Alright, thankfully the sea level changes in Jaredia aren't that drastic, only an overall drop of 20 or 25 meters. Mind, a lot of the geographic change will come from the new lakes, glacial rebound and so on. I'll give those a go but I'm pretty foggy on how this stuff works, so expect inaccuracy.

I'll be using the original Jaredia maps for a good deal of the referencing, but all the same here's a map of the rough sea level change. (took me a while to get this plugin working again, probs need to update java again...)

1vhNUcK.png

Thande

Donor
Alright, thankfully the sea level changes in Jaredia aren't that drastic, only an overall drop of 20 or 25 meters. Mind, a lot of the geographic change will come from the new lakes, glacial rebound and so on. I'll give those a go but I'm pretty foggy on how this stuff works, so expect inaccuracy.

Fair enough, I don't think anyone expects it to be completely exact, just that you consider the point.

Okay, roughly sketched out the coasts I'll need to extend in red, blue are the debatable areas (probably will just take the original work as gospel there).

PcXTqPX.png

If anyone knows where to find much in the way of 20~ meter sea level drop maps, I'd appreciate links to them. I've got a fair few pics to work off of but I'm still pretty uncertain for some areas...

Current progress shown here, bright blue is the fixed coastline:

iGTHGgY.png

Alright in retrospect dropping the sea level and then doing a tilted map based off of that would likely have been easier. All the same, slowly progressing.

bIrRSMs.png

I remember seeing a website that simulated sea level rise and drop and I'm pretty sure that you got the brown and blue map from that. What's as the site called?

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
I just now recalled that I have another (slightly different) Jaredia map sitting around on my hard drive. Can't remember where it's from.

HRmrvbO.png

I just now recalled that I have another (slightly different) Jaredia map sitting around on my hard drive. Can't remember where it's from.

HRmrvbO.png

Brilliant - thanks for posting this here! I had a whole bunch of edits of this in the works a year or two back - couldn't find them but having this is a big help as a reference. Kudos!

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Brilliant - thanks for posting this here! I had a whole bunch of edits of this in the works a year or two back - couldn't find them but having this is a big help as a reference. Kudos!

No prob! I have so many different maps from my years on this site just laying around... Dunno what to do with them all.