Planet Home (Worldwar)

I recently learned about the Fantasy Calendar Generator (which may be found at the other end of the Link below) and for some reason, possibly connected to a recent sense of curiosity where creatures from other Planets are concerned (triggered by reading into the beasts known only from Earth's prehistory), I began to wonder what the calendars of The Race might look like.

https://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/calendar/

Now quite a bit of this Planet's details were easy enough to work out; the Turtledove wiki provided the salient fact that their Homeworld is situated in the Tau Ceti system and that their year is roughly half as long as that of Earth - with that it mind (and having read the article on Tau Ceti at Wikipedia) it made sense to assume a year 168 Days long as per Tau Ceti e (although the Ssumaz Homeworld is actually the SECOND planet in their solar system the length of local year was too close to that mentioned in my references to be ignored).

I further assumed that, as the Race's day was divided into ten hours (which implies that the Race's Hour was about 151 minutes long by Earthly measure, meaning that while their calendar year is shorter than the Terrestrial their hours are over twice as long as ours), the local year would be divided into 10 months - which means two months would be 16 days long and eight months would last for 17.

For the record I would suggest that the local Months are named for Storied Emperors from the History of The Ssumaz Dynasty (probably the local equivalent of Julius Caesar and Caesar Augustus); it's not impossible that there may be monthly festivals on the seventeenth days of most months.

Given the brevity of this month compared to the Terrestrial and the fact that the Race apparently like to smooth away rough edges, it is not impossible that the Empire of the Sssumaz Dynasty don't bother with weeks; if they DO then the local week might well be 8 days long (with the "odd day out" during the seventeen-day months being accounted a Holy Festival and therefore not technically part of the Calendar Month).

One hopes that this little ramble has proven reasonably distracting even if it has not proven interesting.

That's All Folks!

columbo-quote-one-more-thing.jpg

Does anyone here know if Home* has a moon or more than one? This is the last piece of data required by the Fantasy Calendar Generator and it has been too long since I last read HOMEWARD BOUND for me to remember if one or more is actually mentioned.

(*I tend to think of it as "Ssumaz" as the Planet isn't OUR Home and the Empire dominates everything else about the place).

Map-658.bmp

As the good Doctor Turtledove does not seem to have produced a map for HOMEWARD BOUND, one decided to amuse myself by trying to cook up a rough map for the Home Planet of "The Race" using one of my favourite tools which can be found on the Internet* with the eventual result being displayed above (if anyone would like a different angle on the planet then please feel free to ask).

It should be noted that this is not my Ideal vision of Home - for one thing it entirely lacks the greenery one must expect on any world where crops are grown (even a Planet so arid as Home) and looks more lunar than I would like; if one could add some sign of Civilisation I would do so.

Nevertheless I'd say that this is a pretty fair "Casting Choice" for Home; while it does not exactly resemble the original there is more than enough of a resemblance for the Audience's imagination to fill in the gaps ... hopefully.:coldsweat:

http://topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp

^^*I most heartily recommend The Planet Map Generator employed to create this map (number 3091658, water line -0.0375, Colour Map Bathymetric for those looking to recreate this little vision), which can be found at the other end of the Link above; it will be extremely useful to those looking to cook up their own personal Planet and a delight to those just looking for a map that will fire some inspiration or even those who just want to fool around with a very sensitive Zoom function.^^

CURSES, I am afflicted with the Saltire of Despair!

Still, follow the directions above and you should be able to whip up something very like Planet Home as it might well be - but do be careful, you might find this planet generator as addictive as I have.;)