Places for ATL religions?

This thread, is to discuss, which times and places in human history pre-1900 OTL had the right social, political, and economic conditions for either a new religion, or a radically different interpretation of an existing one, that somehow didn't come to pass in IOTL. Also, this thread is to discuss the consequences if they had come to fruition, and how it would impact the surrounding area. Which areas do you think had the most potential?

My New Albion TL has a religion formed when the Americans take Canada in the American Revolution, and the white Loyalists, their Mohawk allies, and black slaves who were promised freedom for fighting for the British, had to flee west. They eventually founded a race-mixing religion and settled around the Bitter Sea (Great Slave Lake). Their religion conflates God and the Great Spirit, and is based on the belief that the great sin was when humans divided into different races after Noah-
20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.
24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
26 And he said, Blessed be the Lord God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant

"27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant. "
Ham being the father of the Negro race, Shem the Asiatics (including Indians; they guessed they came over the Bering Strait), and Japheth of the Europeans; the last line refers to the colonization of America by the Europeans and their enslavement of the blacks.

The way to overcome this is mixed marriages and polygamy. They call themselves the Church of the Three-fold Cord (red, black, and white) after another verse from Ecclesiastes:
“And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.”

Last edited:
Ooh I love this topic!

Manichaeism is the most obvious example of the world power that wasn't, but I think medieval Christian Europe has some interesting examples.

The Irish Book of Invasions for instance, despite being made by Christian monks, actually suggests a radically different theology.
For those unfamiliar, the Book of Invasions details the mythic history of Ireland through the lens of multiple groups coming to the island. Some of these are directly biblical, including Noah's granddaughter (the first settlers), a different group of slaves that escaped during exodus etc.

What is most interesting however is that it has an outright other deity. Not in the sense of the Tuatha and Sidhe, but a full on deity called Danu who bestows the secrets of high magic to the Tuatha.

For someone who believes in the book, the ultimate conclusion must be a kind of Dualism, Danu and Yahweh as two seperate and possibly linked deities, a mother and a father.

Whilst IRL there isn't such a movement that latched on to this, I get very strong vibes of a sort of proto-wicca with some cool trinity theology. Yahweh the father (Yahweh), son (Jesus) and the Holy Ghost (the transcendent) alongside the Mother (Danu), the Daughter (Mary) and the world (Nature). This could perhaps lead to a star of David symbol in this hypothetical religion.

On a similar vein, I have heard and read multiple times (yet never have I found a source for the claim) that Christian missionaries to the Norse would say that Ragnarok had already happened, that the Norse myths were actually stories of the last world and that Baldr, as master of the new world, had a new story in the form of the Bible. Again, I don't know if there is any historical validity to this, but I've seen people make threads about a hypothetical "Norse Muhammad" before and this seems like a perfect fit.

My New Albion TL has a religion formed when the Americans take Canada in the American Revolution, and the white Loyalists, their Mohawk allies, and black slaves who were promised freedom for fighting for the British, had to flee west. They eventually founded a race-mixing religion and settled around the Bitter Sea (Great Slave Lake). Their religion conflates God and the Great Spirit, and is based on the belief that the great sin was when humans divided into different races after Noah-

"27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant. "
Ham being the father of the Negro race, Shem the Asiatics (including Indians; they guessed they came over the Bering Strait), and Japheth of the Europeans; the last line refers to the colonization of America by the Europeans and their enslavement of the blacks.

The way to overcome this is mixed marriages and polygamy. They call themselves the Church of the Three-fold Cord (red, black, and white) after another verse from Ecclesiastes:
“And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.”
That's an interesting religion, in what capacity does it spread?

I imagine Khazar Judaism would look very different from mainstream Rabbinic Judaism if the Kahganate managed to survive. I imagine it would be something like the relationship between Ethiopian and Rabbinic Judaism have today: same text with minor additions and subtractions here and there, different dietary laws, different holidays, etc. I think that as Rabbinic Jews would eventually become the majority population*, the remaining Tengrist Khazars would eventually become Rabbinic Jews. The nobility would hold out until the early modern era, with only a few priests and noble families practicing the Khazar variant in the 21st century. I imagine it would incorporate some Tengrist/shamanistic practices.

*Assuming we're going full Khazar-wank.

That's an interesting religion, in what capacity does it spread?
It's traditionally mostly confined to the mountain US, Salt Lake/Snake R. area, which in this world is part of a British/Commonwealth country, New Albion, stretching from Alaska to northern California- basically the U.S and Canada rotated 90 degrees. It reaches down to Mexico, which occupies southern California, Arizona, New Mexico and southern Texas, the northern area which has a Spanish/Anglo/Black/Indian mix; the western Prairies because it was popular among the Metis.
It's fairly strict, anti-alcohol but tolerant of polygamy, and in the present-day it's popular in the Third World because of it's anti-racism . It's basically Mormonism with the serial filed off and a race-mixing message added in.

It's traditionally mostly confined to the mountain US, Salt Lake/Snake R. area, which in this world is part of a British/Commonwealth country, New Albion, stretching from Alaska to northern California- basically the U.S and Canada rotated 90 degrees. It reaches down to Mexico, which occupies southern California, Arizona, New Mexico and southern Texas, the northern area which has a Spanish/Anglo/Black/Indian mix; the western Prairies because it was popular among the Metis.
It's fairly strict, anti-alcohol but tolerant of polygamy, and in the present-day it's popular in the Third World because of it's anti-racism . It's basically Mormonism with the serial filed off and a race-mixing message added in.
Ohh I'll check your TL out