Shit he back, shouldn't Wilson be half paralyzed and rotting away in his bed by now. Can't the dude just stay and kick the bucket for everyone's sake.

Having got to the point where Wilson made his deal I have to say "Ohhhhhhh god" because if that ever gets out, that a former US president took an actual side in the war, behind his country and his party's back, that is going to be a rather nasty pill to swallow. I mean, imagine the Republican running perpetual interference against the Democrats on the matter!
And that's Wilson, a guy who at this point in time did kinda make a right mess of the country when he was leaving. Remember this bit?

On 11 November- the day the Treaty of Konigsberg was signed- President Wilson announced that since Britain and France had refused to commit to paying off their debts, he was issuing an executive order transferring some $500 million in federal money to cover JP Morgan’s losses. Everyone from economists to Constitutional lawyers howled about this, but Wilson was adamant- after all, it wasn’t as if popular opinion mattered much to him anymore. He left a nice little present for President-elect Hughes by withdrawing the money from funds earmarked for the 1917 budget, which would earn him plenty of scorn- the phrase “robbing Sam to pay Jack” (Uncle Sam to JP “Jack” Morgan) (4) would become commonly used in the Northeast in the 1920s. The news that the biggest bank in the US was in trouble triggered a panic on Wall Street, and starting on the 13th, investors began deserting Morgan. Ironically, the firm was in reasonably solid shape and could’ve weathered the storm, but the public didn’t know that. People began selling their Morgan stocks… and the rot spread from there. By Thanksgiving Day, the US economy had reverted to its meagre 1913 state- the collapse of the arms industry, which had made good money selling to the Entente, only exacerbated the problem. By the time the transfer of power came on 4 March 1917, Wilson’s popularity was in the lower forties, and historians rank him as one of the worst presidents of the United States.
If I was him, I'd really not make my successors inclined to haul me back in chains. Or worse, put a stop on any bank orders.

Honestly, if it gets out what Wilson is up to, I bet Germany won't believe the US government wasn't giving him a silent go-ahead. And that's gonna ratchet up US german tensions

“Cobblers!” Mikhailovich pounded the desk. “I remember when my flaming brother in law- the foolish one, that is, not Nicky- promulgated that thing. Good God, what a waste of an emperor- and look what a mess it’s gotten us into now, eh? I do not base my right to rule on a constitution worth nothing but empty words- I base it on the right of my ancestors derived from God for the past two centuries!”
The Okhrana hit team thus caught him eating steak in a restaurant and conversing in Russian with another gentleman. Unlike the clientele, they were actually able to follow the conversation, and it was every bit as bad as Mikhailovich had feared. Phrases like “further liberalisation of the Monarchy”, “general election”, and “Prime Minister Kerensky” made them want to spit their filet mignonnes out. All three men waited till Kiril was done and shadowed his taxi back to the hotel. It was close to midnight and there were few streetlights. Kiril was less than a hundred yards away when a bullet lodged in his back. Still disguised as posh restaurant-goers, the three Okhrana men stepped out from the shadows and cut his throat before dashing to avoid the police.
I was wondering when the Tsarists were going to start waving their colors. In avenging the cold-blooded murder of his well-meaning wife, Mikhailovich has just masterminded the cold-blooded murder of his well-meaning cousin.
"I'm a wealthy man, even if I cannot buy my power or my health back. All I can do is purchase these surplus arms and sell them, not to the Russian Republic, but to its Provisional President. This is, at least nominally, a private transaction. It's no different from as though we were neighbours and your house caught fire. The Constitution doesn't prevent my selling you my garden hose to quench the flames!"
Von Heydebrand presented a "Preventative Plan for the East" to the Reichstag on 20 June. The conscript class of 1919 would be sent to northern France, freeing up the experienced soldiers there to strengthen the Eastern defences. Oskar von Hutier's Sturmtruppen would be sent to Belarus and the Baltic Duchy for 'security' and placed on high alert, while Foreign Office would condemn the "chaos and sedition in Russia". Meanwhile, surplus Great War equipment would start mysteriously appearing in Smolensk and Pskov.
Were the circumstances not surrounding the prolongation of an already terrible war, there would be a delightful level of symmetry between these sets of underhanded dealings.
Regardless of what Woodrow Wilson or Kaiser Wilhelm II wanted, it would be the Russians themselves who decided the outcome. One thing was certain: the country was going to be a lot emptier once 'peace' came...
With how much the looming (or already underway) famine in Russia has been foreshadowed, I shudder to consider the potential of Martov/Lenin opening a third front in the war and making it even worse than the OTL one.

Honestly, if it gets out what Wilson is up to, I bet Germany won't believe the US government wasn't giving him a silent go-ahead. And that's gonna ratchet up US german tensions
They will if the Feds drag him off in chains. How dare he usurp foreign policy authority without at least consulting first with the elected administration?

Yeah, the Republicans (and several Democrats) are going to be calling for impeachment. Using the federal budget to pay for a private bank to pay for a foreign war has EMBEZZLEMENT written all over it in big red letters.

Yeah, the Republicans (and several Democrats) are going to be calling for impeachment. Using the federal budget to pay for a private bank to pay for a foreign war has EMBEZZLEMENT written all over it in big red letters.
Is Wilson even impeachable when he isn't an incumbent President anymore? If no, then I'd say just federal criminal charges...not sure about treason, but illegal usurpation of authority (if that's even a thing) should be on the table.

That said, considering his ill health, even if he gets convicted, I suspect the courts might commute any punishment to enforced house arrest for the rest of his - thankfully short - natural life.

Is Wilson even impeachable when he isn't an incumbent President anymore? If no, then I'd say just federal criminal charges...not sure about treason, but illegal usurpation of authority (if that's even a thing) should be on the table.

That said, considering his ill health, even if he gets convicted, I suspect the courts might commute any punishment to enforced house arrest for the rest of his - thankfully short - natural life.
Without moving into current politics and getting The Bear involved, #45 got impeached while on his way out - it's possible.

Not sure how legal the collusion part was, but using taxpayer money to pay for it probably falls under High Crimes and Misdemeanors.
this is pretty much exactly the kind of scenario in which the Logan Act would actually be used.
"When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal. Also, if you're using this defence, you're totally screwed, because I was a crook!"
- Richard Nixon

Without moving into current politics and getting The Bear involved, #45 got impeached while on his way out - it's possible.

Not sure how legal the collusion part was, but using taxpayer money to pay for it probably falls under High Crimes and Misdemeanors.
F*ck*ng hell...what is it with Wilson and taking liberties with the people's money? First that $500 million he gave away to JP Morgan (thankfully the Supreme Court told JP Morgan to give it back or else), and now this. Congress needs to pass laws to keep a closer eye on the public purse strings.

They will if the Feds drag him off in chains. How dare he usurp foreign policy authority without at least consulting first with the elected administration?
Maybe, but I can see some people in Germany assuming Willy was just tossed under the bus
F*ck*ng hell...what is it with Wilson and taking liberties with the people's money? First that $500 million he gave away to JP Morgan (thankfully the Supreme Court told JP Morgan to give it back or else), and now this. Congress needs to pass laws to keep a closer eye on the public purse strings.
Well, Wilson thinks he knows best. Always has, so of course he gets to spend people's money.

"When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal. Also, if you're using this defence, you're totally screwed, because I was a crook!"
- Richard Nixon
That's a completely different situation though because the Impeachment process had started and was underway when Trump left Washington and Biden entered office. This is two years after Wilson left office and he is going to Russia as a private American citizen, not as the President or a representative of the U.S government. If a President commits a high crime after office, they are charged as a citizen just the same as you and me, impeachment is to remove a politician from office and charge them with a crime that they committed during office. At the same time, if let's say a President committed murder before taking office and it's found out while they are in the White House, they can't be impeached for that since it was not an action they took as President.

As much as I utterly loathe Woodrow Wilson as the American Devil, he is not performing this scheme with American taxpayer's dollars. There is no way he'd have access to those kinds of funds when he is one of the most despised men in America and Washington has a Republican trifecta in all corners of government, not to mention his own party despises him. The dialogue made it explicitly clear that Wilson is using his own funds to buy surplus arms from the military and give them to Russia for free.
"Not to worry, Provisional President, I understand what you are saying. Believe me, my policy towards the United States is the exact same even with that damnfool greybeard Santa Claus (5) running things. The truth is that a liberal, democratic Russia remains in the best interest of my country. Europe continues to be a land of emperors on one hand and frothing radicals on the other. A sliver of sanity would go a long way indeed. And fortunately, indeed I can help. Having been at war less than two years ago, my country has plenty of military equipment floating about. You understand how these things go. One moment, the armies in Mexico (6) required everything imaginable- guns, ammunition, supplies- and the American people had to tolerate taxes and intrusions to give them that. The next, we are allegedly at peace. The Army has demobilised fully and sent those supposedly essential supplies to rust. Rather than let that happen, I will put those supplies to good cause." The American paused to hack his lungs out. "I'm a wealthy man, even if I cannot buy my power or my health back. All I can do is purchase these surplus arms and sell them, not to the Russian Republic, but to its Provisional President. This is, at least nominally, a private transaction. It's no different from as though we were neighbours and your house caught fire. The Constitution doesn't prevent my selling you my garden hose to quench the flames!" Both men laughed, but Kerensky quickly sobered.

"Sir, you must not think me ungrateful. You are providing a lifeline for the Russian Republic. Yet... we are a poor country. The Tsarist sovlochi managed to squander most of our financial reserves in the years before the war. We pay our men in scrip and promises, and inflation is rife. The only saving grace is that the enemy is even worse off. How can we-"

The American cut him off. "You needn't worry, Provisional President Kerensky. It is not the United States Government, nor the banks of the United States, which you are paying. They are as merciless to their debtors as possible... which does not, regrettably, mean those debtors always pay in full!" His face clouded, and he said something in English Natasha didn't bother translating. "But regardless, you are paying me personally. While we can arrange a price later on, suffice it to say that the Russian Republic may extend its payment for as long as needed. And besides, it will not be long before I am gone. If the contents of the Russian Republic's treasury cannot reach me in the next life, what use are they?" He winked, and Kerensky's shoulders sagged.
On paper, this is a private transaction between the American citizen known as Woodrow Wilson and the state known as the Provisional Republic of Russia. Wilson is paying out of his own pocket and any other money that he uses is most likely going to be from sympathetic Americans who he cons or convinces to lend their funds to the cause. However, while the Constitution and laws of the United States do not forbid private transactions to occur between United States citizens and corporations with foreign governments or foreign citizens, they do limit and regulate what type of goods can be sold, with the most contentious and highly regulated being firearms and military-grade weapons. Boeing can't sell fighter jets to any nation within the world without approval from the President and state department or else they would be conducting a breach of national security and possible treason. The U.S government could be willing to overlook something small such as selling a single or small collection of civilian firearms to foreign citizens, but selling millions of dollars of military-grade weaponry to a nation in the midst of a Civil War is something that will get the feds on your ass and earn you a life sentence.

The United States during this time period was relatively relaxed with individuals and corporations selling arms to foreign governments, but these were mostly tolerated in peacetime and nations that were considered to be non-hostile to American interests. For example, thousands of Colt revolvers were sold to the Ottoman Empire in the 1870's, but this is fine because they are selling weapons to a nation the United States is at peace with and none of the Ottoman's enemies are ties to the US as allies. Weapons manufacturers were freely allowed to sell to the Entente during WWI, but they could not sell to the Central Powers not only because of the blockade by the British but because it was viewed as supporting a hostile foreign power by the Wilson administration. If Wilson had been supplying guns to peacetime Russian Republic that had established diplomatic relations with America, then that would be fine and at worst would just get him criticized in the press. However, this is him selling weapons to a rebel government Not recognized by the United States government in the midst of a civil war when the United States is currently engaged in ongoing disputes with Tsarist Russia, who is viewed by the United States of America as the sovereign and lawful government of the lands of Russia. In short this is a criminal act, but it's not something that Wilson can be impeached for because he's doing this as a private citizen and he's not using tax dollars.

What Woodrow Wilson is doing is a clear violation of the Logan Act. The Logan Act is a law that states that any American citizen found to be conducting negotiations with a foreign government in dispute with the United States is to be charged with a felony for disrupting the powers and position of the United States government. The act is rarely used and has only been successfully indicted twice, the first time for the Act's titular Democratic-Republican who was conducting independent negotiations with France during the Quasi-War, and the second time when a businessman was conducting rail negotiations with Mexico while the Gadsen Purchase was buying discussed, neither of them were ever convicted of a felony. The reason the Logan Act is hardly ever enforced is due to the Act's vague wording, the limitation of evidence needed for an indictment and conviction, and the fact that few if anybody ever attempts anything this ballsy on the level of what Wilson is doing. This should be a clear cut case for Wilson to be tried and convicted as a felon, but unless the judicial system was feeling really bloodthirsty, then he'll probably die before any conviction takes place and he's sent to jail. Still it would be a really powerful action and a potential death blow to the Democrats, charging a president who just left office for interfering in foreign affairs and meddling in a civil war.

Chapter 19 I believe​

In the American camp, Pershing saw only trouble in the wake of victory. 1st Division had bled very heavily in the capture of Veracruz and would need weeks to recover, while the pace of reinforcement to the forces in Mexico was not increasing by anywhere near enough. Since War Plan Green estimated that edit later divisions would be necessary for an assault on the capital, it would be weeks before such an operation could be mounted- time which Carranza could use to fortify the capital. Since the defences of Veracruz had held the Americans up for days and required battleship bombardments to subdue, the inland defences of the capital would be a nightmare. The Americans had their beachhead, but they couldn’t do much with it.

Comments?
You're writing far faster than I'm reading, but see the bold italic point in Chapter 19.
I assume it's not major but you need a number there I presume.