This is now a mess of epic proportions. A ruined American economy, Europe a mess...
And if Mexico had asked for reparations it might have gone over adequately. But declaring war gives Hughes a chance to try to salvage his administration with a short victorious war...those oft don''t go well.
Heck, one torpedo or mine in an American predreadnought carrying out a bombardment, and we have "Mexico sinks American battleship!"

Ficboy

Banned
This is now a mess of epic proportions. A ruined American economy, Europe a mess...
And if Mexico had asked for reparations it might have gone over adequately. But declaring war gives Hughes a chance to try to salvage his administration with a short victorious war...those oft don''t go well.
Heck, one torpedo or mine in an American predreadnought carrying out a bombardment, and we have "Mexico sinks American battleship!"
Let's hope that Place in the Sun it doesn't evolve into Kaiserreich.

*evil laughter*

Wilson remembered as one of the worst presidents in US history? Nothing less than the man deserves.

Also, the government slapping down big business? Pushing against segregation as much as he can? I think Hughes is now my favorite alt-US President.

That said...Second Mexican-American War...depending on what American goals are, they could be in for a Vietnam War scenario half a century early. Best to keep goals limited, like the rest of the Baja to improve American power projection into the Pacific, and a demilitarized border plus a lot of war reparations.

1916 wikibox and election map
A wikibox for the 1916 election
1916 US wikibox.png

...and an electoral map (made with 270towin, thanks to @NHBL for telling me about this!)
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.57.24 am.png

*evil laughter*

Wilson remembered as one of the worst presidents in US history? Nothing less than the man deserves.

Also, the government slapping down big business? Pushing against segregation as much as he can? I think Hughes is now my favorite alt-US President.

That said...Second Mexican-American War...depending on what American goals are, they could be in for a Vietnam War scenario half a century early. Best to keep goals limited, like the rest of the Baja to improve American power projection into the Pacific, and a demilitarized border plus a lot of war reparations.
How does gaining Baja improve American power projection in the Pacific? The peninsula isn't exactly swimming in good natural harbors and any bases would face rather aggravating supply issues. .

Pray to god that Hughes doesnt hawk too much, because if he does, we may see Vietnam before Vietnam

Ironically, the Southern Democrats might actually be of use here. They'd go ape-shit if Hughes decided to go crazy on annexations, if only because it'll bring millions of Mexicans into the USA.

bguy

Donor
The next day, Friday the 27th, President Wilson issued an executive order allowing JP Morgan to assume control over all British-and-French-held assets in the United States. Enterprises as diverse as railroads, shipping yards, coal mines, and factories now found themselves under new ownership. No one knew all the details in the first 24 hours, which meant that the stock market had a bad day. But worse was the fact that not all these companies wanted to come under Morgan’s ownership. The last few days in October saw “incidents”, where managers of Anglo-French companies, born in the motherland, became bitter over losing their positions to the greedy Americans, who hadn’t even fought in the war, and who hadn’t had to agonise over relatives back home overrun by les Boches. They gave vent to their anger by doing things like leaving equipment in an unfit state and laying off employees. Not every asset suffered such problems and, contrary to what many thought there was no widespread conspiracy involved, but the overall effect was to infuriate Morgan.

How much of the Allied loans were actually backed up by collateral based on assets that the British could let deteriorate? My understanding was that the collateral for the war loans was almost always based either on governmental bonds or stocks and bonds of American companies held by the British government and thus not assets that the British could really damage even if they wanted to do so.

From "The Inter-Ally Debts" by Harvey Fisk:

In 1915 France and England joined their credit to place a great loan for five hundered million dollars in the United States. When England and France asked for further loans, American bankers required collateral. The borrowers appealed to their peoples for loans of negotiable securities. These were furnished in great amounts, largely in the form of American railroad stocks and bonds. Many other corporate securities suitable for the purpose also came to light, as well as municipal bonds and the bonds of neutral states.
-pg. 7

It will be noted that all issues of bonds placed in the United States subsequent to the joint issue with France were secured by collateral. This collateral was obtained by Great Britain by borrowing or buying dollar bonds from her citizens.-
-pg. 94

Borrowing American Securities
On June 3, M. Ribot presented a financial statement in which he said that the government had distributed widely to credit houses circulars stating that they were authorized to buy United States railway securities for government account. These securities were to be used as collateral to loans to be placed in America.

-pg. 130

The war brought marked changes in respect to our foreign investments. American investors as a whole for the first time became familiar with foreign securities. In the early years of the war, with some hesitation, we loaned money to France and England, but we required very good collateral in the nature of our own bonds and stocks which were placed with New York trust companies as security for the French and English bonds which were sold to the public.
-pg. 307

Jaenera Targaryen said:

I doubt the US would try to directly annex any Mexican territory. (The US didn't exactly enjoy the experience of administering the Philippines in the face of a hostile population.) More likely Hughes would settle for deposing Carranza in favor of a more pliable government, guarantying US oil and mineral rights in Mexico (which would likely mean requiring the Mexicans to repudiate Article 27 from their constitution which at least theoretically severely limited the ability of foreigners to own land in Mexico), and some sort of provision that the US could intervene in Mexico as necessary to protect American lives and property.

Let's hope that Place in the Sun it doesn't evolve into Kaiserreich.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought about Kaiserreich lol.

There are some similarities, but there are enough differences to keep things fresh for me.

Italy still exist in this universe and has a empire and that's a major distinction from the Kaiserreich mod. The OP has yet to go into detail regarding labor or communist movements so we have no proof that syndicalism will get any traction in this universe. Japan yoinking French Indochina is another big distinction. While America seems to be heading for a bad time, I see no proof of a second civil war breaking out - which is fine by me because the 2ACW was always one of the more unrealistic parts of KR for me (despite how fun it is).

Glad I'm not the only one that thought about Kaiserreich lol.

There are some similarities, but there are enough differences to keep things fresh for me.

Italy still exist in this universe and has a empire and that's a major distinction from the Kaiserreich mod. The OP has yet to go into detail regarding labor or communist movements so we have no proof that syndicalism will get any traction in this universe. Japan yoinking French Indochina is another big distinction. While America seems to be heading for a bad time, I see no proof of a second civil war breaking out - which is fine by me because the 2ACW was always one of the more unrealistic parts of KR for me (despite how fun it is).

I have zero plans for a Second American Civil War... which is total ASB given the PoD, you'd need to go back to the Reconstruction era at least.
Syndicalism may or may not become widespread, but it certainly won't follow its Kaiserreich trajectory.

Not really being a video-gamer, I don't know too much about the KR universe or Hoi4 in general... it wasn't an inspiration for this project.

How much of the Allied loans were actually backed up by collateral based on assets that the British could let deteriorate? My understanding was that the collateral for the war loans was almost always based either on governmental bonds or stocks and bonds of American companies held by the British government and thus not assets that the British could really damage even if they wanted to do so.

SNIP

Not too surprised I got something wrong. I might go back and edit that part of the chapter when I get a chance, but that won't be for a while. Thanks for pointing it out, though! :)

I doubt the US would try to directly annex any Mexican territory. (The US didn't exactly enjoy the experience of administering the Philippines in the face of a hostile population.) More likely Hughes would settle for deposing Carranza in favor of a more pliable government, guarantying US oil and mineral rights in Mexico (which would likely mean requiring the Mexicans to repudiate Article 27 from their constitution which at least theoretically severely limited the ability of foreigners to own land in Mexico), and some sort of provision that the US could intervene in Mexico as necessary to protect American lives and property.

The peace treaty will likely look something like that, yes. America has more than enough empty, dry land to begin with.

I have zero plans for a Second American Civil War... which is total ASB given the PoD, you'd need to go back to the Reconstruction era at least.
Syndicalism may or may not become widespread, but it certainly won't follow its Kaiserreich trajectory.

Not really being a video-gamer, I don't know too much about the KR universe or Hoi4 in general... it wasn't an inspiration for this project.

Since you're a teacher, it doesn't surprise me that you don't have time to game lol - I have other teacher friends that said the same to me on occasion. Here's a link if you want to understand some of the remarks we might make as this TL progresses.

What effect will the supreme Court case against JP Morgan have in future economic crisis ?will it be illegal for the government to bail out banks and other major companies ?

What effect will the supreme Court case against JP Morgan have in future economic crisis ?will it be illegal for the government to bail out banks and other major companies ?

It's described as being done by executive order, which was probably a big factor in it being judged illegal. Shouldn't have any impact on the ability of congress to pass bailouts, since congress actually does have constitutional authority over spending.

Wow, that was super arrogant. I'm impressed. Now here's hoping Mexico at least gives the US a bloody nose. The US is going through a depression, Mexican troops have some experience after being at war for 6 years now while the US hasn't fought since Spain, the ingredients are there

Baldrick

Banned
It would be ironic to say the least if Mexican troops drive the us back on its own soil
After which, the German Empire flexes its muscle and intervenes... on the Mexican side.

It will be fun to say the least!

It would be ironic to say the least if Mexican troops drive the us back on its own soil
After which, the German Empire flexes its muscle and intervenes... on the Mexican side.

It will be fun to say the least!
The Germans have no reason to intervene and plenty of reasons to not intervene, not the least of which that they just came off a devastating and expensive war and are faced with expensive and manpower-intensive occupations of large swathes of territory.

The US suffering an embarrassing black eye at the hands of Mexico... more plausible.