jparker77

Banned
Liverpool specifically stated that should any city in the Carribbean USA be taken, state capital or not to be returned. New Orleans is included in that comment. Packenham was planning to invade Alabama from Louisiana and Liverpool specifically ordered that all British troops vacate every part of Louisiana. That by the way includes New Orleans.

Mobile is nice and all.

New Orleans is worth three, maybe four, of Mobile. Again, it’s by far the most important city of the Mississippi. Planning to take a less important area is very different than literally controlling a city which, simply by its geographical location, can hamper American trade and westward expansion

Mobile is nice and all.

New Orleans is worth three, maybe four, of Mobile. Again, it’s by far the most important city of the Mississippi. Planning to take a less important area is very different than literally controlling a city which, simply by its geographical location, can hamper American trade and westward expansion
and again, Liverpool's orders included, New Orleans. One cannot say the capital the louisiana without saying New Orleans. Every capital occupied in Louisiana would be abandoned according to Liverpools orders. Which city is the capital of Louisiana? Most certainly not Mobile nor Lafayette or any other small parish in the area. That would be New Orleans.

They're furious that the Motherland lost....again. It'll be a long time before the region fully embraces its German identity.
if at all. If France repressing the German Alsatian and Lorrainers dialect did not dissuade them from dropping their french identity for two long decades, then i doubt the Alsatians and Lorrainers will take to the german identity anytime soon, as the Zabern Affair is still stuck in their minds. All (almost all) Alsatian and Lorrainer parties vowed regionalism at best for berlin and separatism at worst after the affair. In 1914 Bethmann-Hollwegg tried to make some plans to appease them, but ww1 sidetracked that and seeing as that has made no mention.......yeah i see Alsace-Lorraine being the proverbial 'ireland' for Germany. Brimming with separatism.

jparker77

Banned
and again, Liverpool's orders included, New Orleans. One cannot say the capital the louisiana without saying New Orleans. Every capital occupied in Louisiana would be abandoned according to Liverpools orders. Which city is the capital of Louisiana? Most certainly not Mobile nor Lafayette or any other small parish in the area. That would be New Orleans.

My point is that had the British succeeded in taking New Orleans those orders simply would not have applied, because they would have accomplished the war’s strategic aim by crippling the US’ expansion, and therefore would have either tried to control the city at all costs or simply pushed for a much more favorable peace. Hence why their defeat there was so important

My point is that had the British succeeded in taking New Orleans those orders simply would not have applied, because they would have accomplished the war’s strategic aim by crippling the US’ expansion, and therefore would have either tried to control the city at all costs or simply pushed for a much more favorable peace. Hence why their defeat there was so important
Liverpool and Parliament had assumed that New Orleans had already fallen when they gave the orders. Which is why they were so surprised when they found out that they occupied nothing to give back. Your point does not stand with historical facts. When Lord Castlereagh and Lord Sidmouth asked to occupy New Orleans, Lord Liverpool denied their request stating that every city occupied would be returned, including New Orleans. Lord Eldon, Lord Harrowby and Lord Mulgrave confirmed the orders that every city, including New Orleans, Mobile, Lafayette, which they presumed to be occupied by then, to be returned to the control of Washington on January 9.

I do not understand why the semantics of a decidedly pre-1900 conflict have occupied so much discussion in a thread devoted to an unrelated post-1900 PoD.

Regarding the story - looks like U.S.-Mexico relations are going to be substantially worse geopolitically than in OTL, as well as Mexico's oil economy, Mexico's military, etc... on the whole, this is an ugly treaty borne from an ugly conflict. Time will tell how Mexico fares in the coming years, and I feel it will be predicated both on how Obregon handles religion and what nature American investment in the country actually takes. With respect to the former, Mexico is disarmed and vulnerable to insurgency, and Obregon was somewhat anticlericalist in his operations; at the same time, he's not Calles, and the U.S. has significant interest vested in keeping Mexico stable here by virtue of needing to protect their shiny new oil rights in Tamaulipas. How capable they will actually be at this is up for debate.

I do not understand why the semantics of a decidedly pre-1900 conflict have occupied so much discussion in a thread devoted to an unrelated post-1900 PoD.

Regarding the story - looks like U.S.-Mexico relations are going to be substantially worse geopolitically than in OTL, as well as Mexico's oil economy, Mexico's military, etc... on the whole, this is an ugly treaty borne from an ugly conflict. Time will tell how Mexico fares in the coming years, and I feel it will be predicated both on how Obregon handles religion and what nature American investment in the country actually takes. With respect to the former, Mexico is disarmed and vulnerable to insurgency, and Obregon was somewhat anticlericalist in his operations; at the same time, he's not Calles, and the U.S. has significant interest vested in keeping Mexico stable here by virtue of needing to protect their shiny new oil rights in Tamaulipas. How capable they will actually be at this is up for debate.
Agreed. It was fun at first, mostly for curiosity's sake, then it hijacked the whole thread. Will this TL get closed if this continues? If so, I really want this timeline to proceed as intended.

Last edited:
if at all. If France repressing the German Alsatian and Lorrainers dialect did not dissuade them from dropping their french identity for two long decades, then i doubt the Alsatians and Lorrainers will take to the german identity anytime soon, as the Zabern Affair is still stuck in their minds. All (almost all) Alsatian and Lorrainer parties vowed regionalism at best for berlin and separatism at worst after the affair. In 1914 Bethmann-Hollwegg tried to make some plans to appease them, but ww1 sidetracked that and seeing as that has made no mention.......yeah i see Alsace-Lorraine being the proverbial 'ireland' for Germany. Brimming with separatism.
I suspect that much like with former East Belgium, whatever happens in the 30s might just cause the people of Elsass and Lothringen to drop their Francophone sympathies.

What are the chances it turns into a Vietnam-esque situation?

I suspect that much like with former East Belgium, whatever happens in the 30s might just cause the people of Elsass and Lothringen to drop their Francophone sympathies.
not exactly. Almost every politician in Alsace and Lorraine vowed separatism and regionalism in 1913 and made it their official policy. The alsatians and Lorrainers aided the french in ww1 and now will see their position even more threatened with the German victory. It will be a long time before they come to see themselves as German if at all and will most probably turn out to be a Northern Ireland situation, bitterly divided between the half between french (republican) and german(monarchist) identities. I had the honor to meet an actual Alsatian speaking Alsatian family back in 2016 whose grandfather had fought in ww2. This is from personal experience here more than anything but the man (grandfather) told me and my friends about his father in ww1, and described a very tense atmosphere on the brink of societal anger in Alsace-Lorraine. Added with the religious issue, Alsace-Lorraine will inevitably become a secretarian and ethnic conflict.

not exactly. Almost every politician in Alsace and Lorraine vowed separatism and regionalism in 1913 and made it their official policy. The alsatians and Lorrainers aided the french in ww1 and now will see their position even more threatened with the German victory. It will be a long time before they come to see themselves as German if at all and will most probably turn out to be a Northern Ireland situation, bitterly divided between the half between french (republican) and german(monarchist) identities. I had the honor to meet an actual Alsatian speaking Alsatian family back in 2016 whose grandfather had fought in ww2. This is from personal experience here more than anything but the man (grandfather) told me and my friends about his father in ww1, and described a very tense atmosphere on the brink of societal anger in Alsace-Lorraine. Added with the religious issue, Alsace-Lorraine will inevitably become a secretarian and ethnic conflict.
I suspect that post-TTL WW2, a Frenchman in TTL Alsace-Lorraine will be as common as a German in OTL Kaliningrad. There won't be a French separatist movement if all the French are expelled.

I suspect that post-TTL WW2, a Frenchman in TTL Alsace-Lorraine will be as common as a German in OTL Kaliningrad. There won't be a French separatist movement if all the French are expelled.
The most ferverent of the Alsatian and Lorrainer separatists were German speaking Alsatians and Lorrainers.

Hmm...I still think a lot would depend on whatever nastiness the French get up to ITTL's 1930s. If they get as bad as the Nazis were IOTL, I'm not really sure many people in Lothringen (Elsass-Lothringen + Briey-Longwy) would still want to return to France. Harsher German responses would probably also meet indifference at worst from the rest of the world, much like how no one after OTL WWII cared much for the former Axis' ruined states i.e. a general sentiment of 'they got theirs'.

Just got on this and I have to say great TL, probably the best CP Victory I’ve ever seen. As for things I’d like to see...I’ve just read on several books about the holodomore and Soviet Ateocities in general and I’d really like to see how Ukraine works out ITTL and how their efforts for independence movement is going. Really hoping it dosent end as badly as OTL...

Dear Readers,
I'm starting to compose the first chapter on TTL's Russian Revolution (I think a 5-chapter arc would be nice from prelude to end but that number obviously isn't binding). What would you like to see? How should Tsar Michael's regime be challenged? Who should lead the Bolsheviks, Martov or Lenin? What role should OTL's figures such as Kerensky play? Please let me know....

-Kaiser Wilhelm the Tenth
The Bolsheviks won by a rather remarkable combination of circumstances, so I think that they should lose either way, since things aren't going to happen for them the right way.

I'd like to see the Kadets make a better showing no matter how it actually goes though,.

Dear Readers,
I'm starting to compose the first chapter on TTL's Russian Revolution (I think a 5-chapter arc would be nice from prelude to end but that number obviously isn't binding). What would you like to see? How should Tsar Michael's regime be challenged? Who should lead the Bolsheviks, Martov or Lenin? What role should OTL's figures such as Kerensky play? Please let me know....

well germany and russia starting to fight each other is boringly standard, just as russia always being a shithole.
So for russia and its revolution, maybe a nice change where it ends as a calm boring country, west-european style constitutional monarchy & democracy.
so essentially a political revolution instead of the armed one of otl. The different parties are more or less stalemated, so they have to come up with a compromise, which ultimately leads to said constitutional (and powerless) monarchy and parliamentary democracy.

well germany and russia starting to fight each other is boringly standard, just as russia always being a shithole.
So for russia and its revolution, maybe a nice change where it ends as a calm boring country, west-european style constitutional monarchy & democracy.
so essentially a political revolution instead of the armed one of otl. The different parties are more or less stalemated, so they have to come up with a compromise, which ultimately leads to said constitutional (and powerless) monarchy and parliamentary democracy.
I just want to see a USSR next to a German Empire and a Danubian federation.

Dear Readers,

I hope to see the Bolsheviks lose and for the Russian Empire to remain in place, with a devolution of power from the Tsar to a elected Parliament of sorts, in the mould of Britain or even Germany.