Photos of Fatherland

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Historyman 14, Jan 2, 2018.

1. lordroel Well-Known Member

No, lets call this, the United States of Britain.

2. Tiro Well-Known Member

I would guess that just "Great Britain" or possibly "British Republic" would be the most likely names for such a state (although "British Commonwealth" is a possibility, unless the various Realms Beyond the Sea have already created such an institution ... and possibly even if they have); given that Great Britain and the United States do not seem especially friendly in the FATHERLAND timeline it seems unlikely GB would adopt the name "United States" in any form.

Though having said that "United States of Britain" is a name perhaps worthy of an Alternate History in its own right!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Britain_Bill

^^A potentially useful guideline to the structure of a Republican Britain.^^

3. Marky Bunny Well-Known Member

To clarify the only thing that changed on Jan 1st 1971 was that the Monarch left and was replaced by a interim HOS then by a President in May.
    The actual constitutional make up of the United Kingdom was unchanged (The House of Lords was kept), and the continued arrangements in NI, Wales and Scotland.
    I didn't think such a change would need a change in the name, but hey....

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  4. lordroel Well-Known Member

Well change it to United Republic of Britain then.

5. GDIS Pathe Well-Known Member

How about the Commonwealth of Britain?

6. Tiro Well-Known Member

You can't have a kingdom without a monarch, my dear fellow! (although Hungary gave it the old college try during WWII at least, although the Head of State was referred to as a "Regent" rather than a President). In all fairness it does make perfect sense to refer to Great Britain as such even in the absence of a Monarch (in the same way Canada is referred to by name rather than "something something Canada"), although "United Kingdom of" could be quietly dispensed with even in the presence of a House of Lords.

7. olavops Well-Known Member

Very angry with myself for not finding this TL earlier. ALWAYS wanted a worldbuilding TL on Fatherland. Still on the second page, but happy that some things I imagined like MacArthur becoming president were also present here.

8. lordroel Well-Known Member

Have tried to world build it but with some slight difference, like the UK not being a Nazi-puppet.

olavops likes this.
  9. olavops Well-Known Member

Just finished reading. Reeeeeeeeeally angry with myself for not finding it sooner.

I believe it's been stated that Kennedy served until 1976 and then Jon Glenn succeeded him for one terms.

Anyway:

Republican Presidential Nominee and Vice President John W. Bricker with his running mate Richard Nixon on the Campaign trail in 1956. Bricker would go on to defeat democrat Lyndon Johnson in a close election.​

upload_2018-4-19_17-22-56.png

10. olavops Well-Known Member

A elderly Marshall De Gaulle in January 1964, still titled "Leader of Free France" on his office in French Guiana. The Governement-in-Exile gradually lost support of the international community throughout the 1950's, culminating in President Kennedy coming to blows with the French statemen in 1962. The Marshal's continuous refusal to call for elections and to supply non-french colonial with the same rights as the french exiles has not helped.

[​IMG]

11. Marky Bunny Well-Known Member

I haven't forgotten this thread, got some stuff to post over the next few days, stay tuned.

12. Tiro Well-Known Member

Excellent!:)

13. trekchu Hangin' around since 2007

WAAAH!

What did those Nazi Bastards to my capital city?

Marky Bunny likes this.
  14. Marky Bunny Well-Known Member

The 1956 Democratic Presidential convention saw Texas Senator Lyndon Baines Johnson win the nomination from the floor defeating Adlai Stevenson, Estes Kefauver, and Hubert Humphrey for the nomination. Johnson chose Humphrey as his running-mate despite them both being sitting Senators.
    Here is Johnson accepting the nomination.
    [​IMG]
    The Texas delegation celebrating Johnson's nomination.
    [​IMG]
    A Johnson campaign badge
    [​IMG]

15. Marky Bunny Well-Known Member

1956 Presidential Election
    Macarthur decided not to seek a third term as he could as he was not bound the terms of the 22nd amendment. His Vice-President John Bricker was choosen as the Republican nominee and he choose California Senator Richard Nixon as his running mate.
    The Democrats saw Texas Senator Lyndon Baines Johnson win the nomination from the floor defeating Adlai Stevenson, Estes Kefauver, and Hubert Humphrey for the nomination. Johnson chose Humphrey as his running-mate despite them both being sitting Senators.
    The election had three sitting Senators running for national office (Nixon, Johnson & Humphrey) along with Bricker who had also been a Senator.
    The election turned out to be one of the closest in American history, with Bricker winning by 268 electoral votes to Johnson's 263, and Bricker carried the popular vote by just 0.20%.
    [​IMG]
    Bricker & Nixon 268 electoral Votes
    Johnson & Humphrey 263 electoral votes
    *266 electoral votes required to win
    Notes

This election was worked out using a combination of the real 1956 & 1960 figures. The electoral map is very close to that of the real 1960 election, although not a replica of it.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  16. Marky Bunny Well-Known Member

The now famous picture of Lyndon Johnson watching his defeat in the 1956 Presidential Election being announced on TV from his hotel room in Austin.
    [​IMG]

17. Zoidberg12 Well-Known Member

I know that this thread hasn't been responded to in a while, but I made a map. This is a map of the world of Fatherland in 1964.

I'm currently working on a map of this world in 2019, and I hope to post it soon.

upload_2019-6-3_16-34-30.png

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  18. Marky Bunny Well-Known Member

I had lots of things I wanted to do with this thread and the story through pictures, but with my other commitments on this board, I didn't have time to finish it.
    Strange thing I am re-reading the book once again at the moment.

19. modelcitizen note2self, no ranting ninjas

This pic is unusual, a Mr. and Mrs. Xavi at a costume party in more cheerful times, I'm presuming it's from the 1950s,

blade-runner-3jpg.jpeg

Here is some rare candid footage from a get-together after a German-British naval exercise. Apparently they decided to go outside for an impromptu poetry challenge. Some fool typed in 1982, so I'm guessing it's a typo from 1952. I don't know about any base or other facility named Blade Runner but I'm no expert.

I'm guessing this guy won the contest. One of those thoughtful Germans, nice to see they're still around...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  20. modelcitizen note2self, no ranting ninjas

I just realized how this TL puts an extra degree of interest in Argentine-Anglo positioning about those Falkland Islands.