Photos from Featherston's Confederacy/ TL-191

View attachment 822227
Picture of ballroom dance, Remembrance Day, 1945. Far in the background is Joshua Blackford and Mildred Morrell dancing.

Yes, Hexcron, if you are reading this, I stol- I mean borrowed the idea of Joshua and Mildred being a couple from you.
Joshua and Mildre dancing in the street NYC and loving each other on the street

Last edited:
10807826-large.jpg

Picture of Huntsville after the city's surrender, mid-1944.

Who was Hosea Blackford's Father?
800px-Charles_Minor_Blackford.jpg

Photograph of Charles Minor Blackford, a Confederate Veteran of the War of Secession who was alleged to be Hosea Blackford's father

Considered a mystery similar to that of Featherston's until contemporary times, the family ancestry of the United States's 30th President, Hosea Blackford, has never been properly solved.

Blackford has claimed that he was born in 1863, shortly after the end of the War of Secession. He was raised by his mother's family after his mother died early on as an infant and he never knew who his father was. His father, based on what he was told, was a soldier who "briefly knew "his mother. While the assumption was that his father was a Union soldier on furlough and that his mother's similar last name was a coincidence (allegedly), historians have questioned the identity of Blackford's father. Some have argued that his father was a Confederate veteran named Charles M. Blackford, who worked as a lawyer from Confederate Virgina after 1862. There is no evidence that Charles Blackford was ever near Hosea Blackford's home state or that he personally knew and met a Union woman. Although Charles Blackford did serve in Longstreet's Corps, he never participated in any military action due to the war ending on November 4, 1862, despite rumors of a planned attack in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

The prevailing theory that is generally accepted by most historians is that Hosea Blackford's father was a Union soldier who never came back home, probably from Ohio if not from other parts of the country, from a pool of 50-100 men named Blackford.

Sadly, DNA analysis has been unable to prove either way the truth of Hosea Blackford's father due to Charles M. Blackford's bloodline ceasing to exist early on and a lack of DNA samples due to the destruction of his grave from the First Great War. Other Blackfords with ancestors who fought in the War of Secession who volunteered to have their DNA sampled yielded negative results, so far.

Cool link: https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers.htm
What have I inspired?

Maybe I should second guess on what I post before it becomes part of the unofficial fanon?

Haha. Well, at least it's cool to see other people enjoy it and extrapolate it beyond what I wrote.

Anyway, here's some background to the whole "Who's Blackford's Dad?" idea I had:

I always thought that Blackford should have lived, along with a few other characters, if not at least a little bit longer. Even after reading his Turtledove wiki bio, I was disappointed that there wasn't much to describe Blackford's origins, other than he's purely a fictional character not based on anyone historical (besides an alternate version of Herbert Hoover). So, I decided to see if there was ever a Civil War soldier with the surname Blackford through the National Park Service website and found quite a few. 152 in total and 117 from the Union. The biggest number came from Ohio and none from the Dakota territory, which is where I was hoping to tie-in toward a real-life person (sort of like what I did with Featherston).

Since I only have names and not dates of death, I decided to have Hosea Blackford be descended by some real-life Blackford who may or may not have fathered a child before he left to fight in the Civil War. The question of paternity was included when I could only find one or two Blackfords who fought for the Confederacy and I thought to myself, "Hey, wouldn't it be very interesting to introduce reasonable doubt to his family history?"

I didn't think ahead that it could lead to some bizarre form of Birtherism in TL-191.

Oops. :p
My personal thoughts as to Hosea Blackford's potential origins is that his father was indeed a Union soldier who packed his bags and moved out with his wife to the Dakota country almost immediately after the peace treaty was signed. If an explanation were to be made of why Blackford wouldn't exist IOTL, it would be because his father was killed fighting during the Antietam campaign, or in another battle the following year, thus leading to him never existing. Or, more disturbingly, he dies about that time, and his pregnant wife kills herself upon finding out, taking the unborn Hosea with her. This of course under the assumption that Blackford was born in 1863 by his own words.

Last edited:
220px-Lilburn-Boggs.jpg

Lilburn Boggs, the 6th Governor of Missouri.

Boggs signed the infamous Missouri Executive Order 44, or the Mormon Extermination Order, in response to the 1838 Mormon War.

220px-Extermination_order.jpg

Original version of the order.

Boggs was made a hero of the Remembrance Era due to his opposition to Mormonism; some more radical members of the Remembrance ideology say "he had the right ideas in dealing with the Mormons."
Following the Second Great War, the American-Venezuelan War, and the federal government apologized for its actions on Mormonism, the Republican Governor of Missouri: John Ashcroft issued an executive order rescinding the Extermination Order, recognizing its legal invalidity and formally apologizing on behalf of the State of Missouri for the suffering it had caused the Mormons.

View attachment 822379

Boggs signed the infamous Missouri Executive Order 44, or the Mormon Extermination Order, in response to the 1838 Mormon War.

View attachment 822380

Boggs was made a hero of the Remembrance Era due to his opposition to Mormonism; some more radical members of the Remembrance ideology say "he had the right ideas in dealing with the Mormons."
Following the Second Great War, the American-Venezuelan War, and the federal government apologized for its actions on Mormonism, the Republican Governor of Missouri: John Ashcroft issued an executive order rescinding the Extermination Order, recognizing its legal invalidity and formally apologizing on behalf of the State of Missouri for the suffering it had caused the Mormons.
If there was a Featherstone/ Austrian painter who is the face of Anti black and antisemitism then he would probably be the face of anti-Mormonism

View attachment 822379

View attachment 822380

Something real and used with high plausibility.

Good find.

Joshua: "And that's how you were born, Alexander [character in my headcanon who is the current President of the USA in 2023]. And yes, I got court-martialed for that by grandpa Morrell."
1680407528695.jpeg

General Morrel court-martialing Joshua BlackFord after dancing with his daughter 1945 ca

Oh Dear God, I read that as Joshua and Mildre doing it on the street.

The loving each other didn't help either :p.
I also read it as that; that's why I made my reply.
True love right there happen in the NYC streets man and it's beautiful
Adding to this (also, I wanted to include great-grandkids but ran out of space).

View attachment 822412
Good pic dude

220px-President_Bush_greets_Gene.jpg

Picture of President Enos (1989-1993) observing a military parade in 1991, celebrating Washington DC's liberation from the CSA in the First Great War.

fb91c6e45e7659628f4c83e4af6ec11c.jpg

Picture of a statue of Ulysses S. Grant, 2023.

After the Second Mexican War, Grant passed away due to his alcoholism. However, during the Remembrance Era, Grant's victories in the west were lionized, and various statues of him were built in US cities [1].

References
1. Line from Fred Koening at the very end of Blood and Iron says that Grant died a drunk and that statues of Grant were built in the north.

Last edited:
attachment.aspx.jpg

Picture of a statute of William Tecumseh Sherman, San Francisco, 2023.

After he died in 1891, Sherman was lionized for defending San Francisco in the Second Mexican War and was considered a hero in the Remembrance era. Sherman's defense was part of the city's and the state of California's identity as of 2023, some even calling Sherman's defense of San Francisco "California's Alamo [Remember the Alamo]."

Last edited:
1280px-Alamo_pano.jpg

Picture of the Alamo, 2023.

The Alamo was part of Texan identity, even under the CSA. The Freedom Party used the Alamo when campaigning in the state, causing some disdain for it after Texas rejoined the Union in 1955. However, as of 2023, the Alamo is still a huge part of Texan identity.