Photos from Featherston's Confederacy/ TL-191

The several Essex Class ships that were extensively refitted and served into the 90s would disagree. :)
I understand, but the wooden flight deck would not handle the extreme heat of the vertical take off and landing. But if they had there flight decks rebuilt, then I don't see a problem with them operating such jets.

Oddball's Warriors was a 1970 comedy/war/heist film starring Donald Sutherland and Marion Morrison with co-stars Telly Savalas, Carroll O'Connor and Don Rickles. The film was a US-German co-production with most of the filming done in Gorlitz and Leipzig in Saxony, Germany. [1]

John_Wayne_004.jpg

Marion Morrison as Private Kelly in a B/W publicity still [2]

The movie takes place in late 1943 somewhere in the Confederate States; Private Kelly's soldiers are part of the 35th Infantry Division. While holed up on a farmstead while being shelled by Confederate forces AND their own side, Private Kelly interrogates Confederate intelligence officer Colonel Dalton (David Hurst doing a bad Southern accent). He finds several gold bars painted over with lead in Dalton's briefcase; upon interrogating the officer further with a bottle of 12-year-old Scotch, Kelly learns there is US$16 million worth of gold bars loaned to the Confederacy by their British, French and Mexican allies. The gold is being held in a bank vault 30 miles behind enemy lines in the (fictional) Confederate town of Clermont.

Kelly's Heroes 3.JPG

Don Rickles as Supply Sergeant Crapgame (left) and Donald Sutherland as Sergeant Oddball (right)

Kelly's soldiers retreat and recruit some help to get the Confederate gold: Supply Sgt. Crapgame (Don Rickles), Master Sgt. Big Joe (Telly Savalas) and the eccentric Sgt. Oddball (Sutherland). Oddball shows why his actor has top billing; he steals the show with his witty banter, ranting about "negative waves" and his bizarre characterization. Commanding a trio of M4 Sherman barrels, Oddball agrees to meet Kelly near Clermont. In a memorable scene, Oddball's barrels destroy a Confederate railway depot, killing all the personnel there; nearly all the casualties were Confederate soldiers firing in vain on the barrels with their small arms, the bullets bouncing off like harmless pebbles.

Oddball loses two of his barrels, Kelly's vehicles are destroyed by friendly fire and a number of casualties happen but they make it to Clermont. The gold is guarded by a platoon of Confederate soldiers and a trio of state-of-the-art Confederate heavy barrels. Oddball, with Kelly's help, takes out most of the soldiers and destroys two of the barrels. Oddball's last barrel breaks down however, leaving them to deal with the last Confederate barrel guarding the bank. Oddball and Kelly convince the barrel commander to help them in exchange for a cut of the gold. He agrees and blows open the vault with a well-placed shot. The film ends with the Confederate barrel commander, Oddball, Kelly and their soldiers leaving Clermont with their shares of the gold, just ahead of General Colt (Carroll O'Connor).

Oddball's Warriors received positive reviews and earned US5.2 million in box office rentals, making it the 25th highest grossing film of 1970. [3]

oddballkellysheroes.jpg

Oddball and his barrel crew waiting in the midst of Confederate lines

[1] In OTL, the movie was a US-Yugoslav production with filming done in the Croation village of Vizinada. Here, it's German because of Germany being a close ally; Gorlitz and Leipzig are also popular filming locations in real life!
[2] It's mentioned elsewhere on this thread that Clint Eastwood became a historian/activist ITTL. So why not have John Wayne as a character in his place instead?
[3] Just like OTL, according to its Wiki entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly's_Heroes

Attachments

• aa0f8475e3b89344862624e9bc691935--patrick-wayne-patrick-obrian.jpg
    aa0f8475e3b89344862624e9bc691935--patrick-wayne-patrick-obrian.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
I have some questions, why do you have not only scenes from two different movies, two different story lines, one st in Germany and one set in the C.S.A., and two different generations of uniforms?

I have some questions, why do you have not only scenes from two different movies, two different story lines, one st in Germany and one set in the C.S.A., and two different generations of uniforms?
Fixed it up better; rather than the Green Berets film from 1968 from OTL, I used one of John Wayne's WW2 role photos. I did my best BTW.

Truly beautiful! Yeah I always imagined the US uniforms to be similar enough to OTL, albeit with subtle German influences, that they're near-indistinguishable. I've always imagined, though, that the helmet's more akin to the PASGT than the Stahlhelm
Yeah, it's kinda a bit of a nagging issue for me, at for GW2 uniforms, but it's done on here out of convenience and to reflect the alliances of TTL. Personally I'd prefer to see it more as a Fallschirmjäger helmet since the books and the wiki explicitly state that the U.S. switched to a more 'pottish' looking helmet, while the CSA switched to 'coalscuttle' helmets by the start of GW2.

explicitly state that the U.S. switched to a more 'pottish' looking helmet, while the CSA switched to 'coalscuttle' helmets by the start of GW2.
it's either Victorious opposition or Return engagement Potter and Forest both comment on the opposit where the CSA helmets are concerned "looks like it could be used to cook soup" and when Armstrong Grimes is conscripted he comments on how the kit is almost the same his dad fought with in the Great war

it's either Victorious opposition or Return engagement Potter and Forest both comment on the opposit where the CSA helmets are concerned "looks like it could be used to cook soup" and when Armstrong Grimes is conscripted he comments on how the kit is almost the same his dad fought with in the Great war
I stand corrected for the most part. The wiki should also on top of this info as well, might I add.

I just remembered something: wasn't there a quote somewhere where the US GW2 helmets are described as being "Morrell Pots", or something like that?