Photos from Featherston's Confederacy/ TL-191

Prince Louis, Dauphin of France
View attachment 723717

For some reason I always had a mental image of Prince Louis as rather younger - as in "Woe to thee oh land when thy king is a child" younger, although once again that's a personal impression and by no means supported in the text; this fine Fils de France most definitely has the right "Oh God papa, what did you do?!?" expression of a man who's Father reigns in the 20th century but spends a little too much of his time in the Dark Ages ...

Also, I wonder if this Prince Louis would have been Dauphin or whether he might have been Prince Royal (per the Orleanist tradition).

Last edited:
View attachment 661702
1946 - Former Virginia congressman and 1921 Radical Liberal presidential nominee Ainsworth Layne speaks to a crowd in U.S. occupied Richmond advocating for the peaceful admission of the former Confederate states to the United States.

I would never in a thousand years have thought of Ainsworth Layne & Clement Attlee in the same vein,but something about this 'casting call' really works (Possibly because I see Ainsworth Layne in AD 1921 as a most reasonable man deciding the time has come for some common sense rather thoroughly disappointed by how very unreasonable his countrymen are feeling).

This is another facial composite that I absolutely love - Hexcron, may I please ask what images you drew on to portray this particular character? (I almost typed 'Winston S. Churchill's Favourite Frenemy' but that bit of characterisation is personal canon, rather than in any way justified by the Southern Victory novels*).

*I just love the mental image of them having great chemistry and absolutely loathing much of what each other stands for SO MUCH ("If we went to war I would RUIN you" "You would ruin me, then ruin yourself Mr Churchill!" "DAMN RIGHT!" ... MUTUAL SIGHS ... "If only" "C'est la vie, c'est la guerre mon ami" ... "Let's kill some Germans!" "A bas les Boches!").

Also, you will tear my mental image of His Most Christian Majesty as the closest thing to an Indiana Jones villain in Timeline-191 from my cold, dead braincells!:cool:
I really just picked a random person from the British national gallery that fit the sort of person I expected to see, did some face merging, added a beard, late-19th century dress uniform, and very specifically the nose of the grandson of Louis-Philippe, who Craigo determined to be King Charles' father. I'll get the original photo when I get home tonight.
For some reason I always had a mental image of Prince Louis as rather younger - as in "Woe to thee oh land when thy king is a child" younger, although once again that's a personal impression and by no means supported in the text; this fine Fils de France most definitely has the right "Oh God papa, what did you do?!?" expression of a man who's Father reigns in the 20th century but spends a little too much of his time in the Dark Ages ...

Also, I wonder if this Prince Louis would have been Dauphin or whether he might have been Prince Royal (per the Orleanist tradition).
I've elected to set the fully fictional Louis' birthday as 1906, leaving him the throne at 38. I've also chosen to give him a prime position of military leadership, and a rivalry with that most French of Frenchmen, De Gaulle, during the campaigns of '41-'44.

As for his title, given the AF's position of being Orleanists mostly by convenience and legal orthodoxy, rather than any concern for the traditions or precedents of the regime of Louis-Philippe, I'm inclined to have them simply have them use the traditional ones; along with the revival of the Dauphin, Charles XI is King of France, not of the French.

Last edited:
This was the original face of Charles
download (1_2).png

Good grief he looks pleased with himself!

Also, your point r.e. King Charles is well taken; I tend to assume that the Timeline 191 would initially follow the Orleanist protocol but slowly trend more & more ‘Ancien Regime’ as he gets a better grip on France.

As noted, I tend to see this King Charles as quite chic, but (on the quiet) extremely weird - I’ve used this quote elsewhere, but I think of him as someone who “works in the 20th century but lives in the Dark Ages”.

Last edited:
5p3ofl29cdq41.jpg

A Freedom Party Guardsman with his last-ditch M7 Copperpot Submachine-Gun during an inspection prior to the Battle of Richmond, circa 1944.

Last edited:
5p3ofl29cdq41.jpg

A Freedom Party Guardsman with his Copperpot Submachine-Gun during an inspection prior to the Battle of Richmond, circa 1944.
I'll be honest, I always felt that the CSA SMG was more similar in appearance to the PPSH-41 (which was used by the Freedom Party camp guards) and the PPS-43 (used by frontline soldiers)

Ah, I see you went Full Habsburg - may I please ask if this is a direct descendant of the first Maximilian of Mexico or a lucky nephew? (I wonder if the Iturbides are hanging around as ‘poor relations’ or if the unlucky Belgian royal family have shunted them aside in the wake of the Great War).

I also wonder if poor Otto Von Habsburg has ascended to the Big Seat back in the Dual Monarchy or if His Royal & Imperial Majesty the Emperor Francis lasted longer in this timeline…

Ah, I see you went Full Habsburg - may I please ask if this is a direct descendant of the first Maximilian of Mexico or a lucky nephew? (I wonder if the Iturbides are hanging around as ‘poor relations’ or if the unlucky Belgian royal family have shunted them aside in the wake of the Great War).
I went with Craigo's explanation, which is that the Iturbides and the Habsburgs were united in Mexico with Maximilian's adoption of the to-be Maximilian II, who was originally an Iturbide heir.
I also wonder if poor Otto Von Habsburg has ascended to the Big Seat back in the Dual Monarchy or if His Royal & Imperial Majesty the Emperor Francis lasted longer in this timeline…
Books say Karl is still around in GWII.

Well it seems that T-191 has so much Bad Luck sloshing around North America that even the Habsburgs get a break!

Well now I’m going to have to calculate how long the Emperor Charles might have lived, with a little bit more luck.

Thank You for answering my queries.😊

Last edited:
I really just picked a random person from the British national gallery that fit the sort of person I expected to see, did some face merging, added a beard, late-19th century dress uniform, and very specifically the nose of the grandson of Louis-Philippe, who Craigo determined to be King Charles' father. I'll get the original photo when I get home tonight.

I've elected to set the fully fictional Louis' birthday as 1906, leaving him the throne at 38. I've also chosen to give him a prime position of military leadership, and a rivalry with that most French of Frenchmen, De Gaulle, during the campaigns of '41-'44.
Is Charles XI supposed to be the son of Prince Philip named Charles who died less than a year old in 1875 in our world? I think I saw someone consider that as a solution on the forum here once.

Oh yes, any idea who the wife of Charles XI might be? Personally I was thinking of Princess Olga of Hannover and Cumberland (1884--1958):

Princess_Olga_of_Hanover.jpg

She also never married in real life, which could be seen as a plus, since OTL family developments would not be directly affected.

Donald Partridge (F-TN)
View attachment 726834

... man, I can't decide if it's funnier to imagine that Donald Partridge's only world-class political gift is the ability to photograph amazingly well or if we should start insinuating that the many, many, many people who diss 'The Bird' in SETTLING ACCOUNTS et al were just so jealous of this dapper game-bird.

Ha! Maybe it's a little from Column 'A' and a little from Column 'B' ... :cool:

In all seriousness, Hexcron, if you hadn't specified that this was "Dead Last" Donald Partridge I'd have though you'd posted an illustration of Ainsworth Layne - he just looks so respectable (and competent!).

Is Charles XI supposed to be the son of Prince Philip named Charles who died less than a year old in 1875 in our world? I think I saw someone consider that as a solution on the forum here once.
Yes, that was what I had in mind.
Oh yes, any idea who the wife of Charles XI might be? Personally I was thinking of Princess Olga of Hannover and Cumberland (1884--1958):

Princess_Olga_of_Hanover.jpg

She also never married in real life, which could be seen as a plus, since OTL family developments would not be directly affected.
She might work, though I was also considering a royal marriage between Edward VIII and a daughter of Charles.

Having done the maths (my usual method is to average out the age at death of a historic person's parent, grandparents & siblings of the same gender, where possible) my calculations suggest that the Emperor Charles might well die in the 1940s; his father died at 41 and his maternal grandfather at 49, but even if the Emperor Charles comes closer to his brother (who died at 56) and his paternal grandfather (who died at 62) it's very possibly that Otto von Habsburg becomes King & Emperor at some point between AD 1941-1948.

She might work, though I was also considering a royal marriage between Edward VIII and a daughter of Charles.

Hmmm ... that would be tricky; I believe it would still have been illegal (probably based on the Royal Marriages of Act of 1772, though my memory may fail me on that count) for an heir to the British Throne to marry a Catholic, so either the bride would have to convert (very, very difficult given that Action Francaise appear to have been violently Catholic) or the British Parliament would have to pass a law amending the aforesaid Act.

On the other hand I can absolutely believe that Edward VIII would be awkward enough to provoke such a Constitutional Crisis with his choice of bride, for reasons that should be obvious.