Photos from Featherston's Confederacy/ TL-191

naest-112-03-page-04-offices-and-switch-house.jpg

A photo of the Robert E. Lee Memorial Power Station near Richmond, circa 1940. The plant along with 61 other coal fired power stations were constructed between 1934 and 1941 throughout the Confederacy under President Featherston's Electrical Expansion Program out of a planned total of 92 power stations. Only 41 of the plants were completed by the time of Operation Blackbeard, with another 13 stations being completed during the course of the war. The Robert E, Lee Power Station was the 2nd largest to be completed and was opened in January of 1937, just in time for Robert Lee's 130th Birthday. In October of 1942, the Power Station was bombed by the Union Air Force, but only suffered minor damage. The plant would be bombed again on March 14th, 1943, and this time, the Union Air Force would cause serious damage to the station, which was out of commission for three months which hampered the Confederate War Machine. The station would be bombed for three more occasions during the war, and during the Battle of Richmond, the facility would see fierce fighting between the Union Army and the Confederate National Assault Force. After the war, the Power Station was to be restored to full operational service by the US Army Corps of Engineers to aid in the Reconstruction of the South and came under the supervision of the US Department of Energy and was renamed to the Tarrington Power Station. The station would continue to operate until the mid-1970s when a Nuclear Power Station was opened nearby to replace the aging coal fired plant and was shut down in 1976. The complex was deserted and would remain abandoned until ultimately being torn down in 1982 and the lot is now occupied by several residential buildings.
b-land-1930-coal-fired-power-station-s.jpg

A painting of the planned Clopton Power Station (if finished, would've been the largest Power Station of the Whole Confederacy), which was an ambitious project by the Confederate Department of Electrical Energy ordered in 1939, which construction would continue until 1943 when work was halted due to the worsening war situation. The unfinished hulk of the power station was ultimately demolished in 1949.
Water_Power_Plant_National_Power_Plant_Smog_Water_800x617.jpg

A digitally restored image of the Charles E. Hiffords Power Station in Newport News, circa 1941. The station was named after Featherston's Chief of the Department of Electrical Energy, Charles Hiffords and was the largest completed plant in the Confederacy, which building began in 1934 and was intended to be completed in 1938, but delays in it's construction meant the station was completed in the summer of 1940, two years behind schedule. In 1941, the Union Navy would launch a failed air attack to take out the station from the USS Enterprise. The Station was ultimately destroyed by the Superbomb in 1943, and it's irradiated carcass still remain to this day along the Saint James River.
The New Port News Superbomb was dropped in 1944, not 1943.

947090-V-JPQ61-048.jpg

A photo from Camp Dependable, estimated sometime between 1938 and 1939, shown here are the Freedom Party Guards, a few black inmates, and also several white political prisoners.

1669158031873.jpeg

Members of the Atlanta Ghetto Police pose for a photograph circa 1941.​

Ghetto Police (officially known as the Ghetto Auxiliary Policing Service), called 'the Negro Police' by Black Confederates, were police auxiliaries organized by the local ghetto councils called 'Negro Councils or NegCouns for short*' within the myriad of Black Confederate ghettos found throughout the many major cities of the Freedomite Confederate States of America.

Members of the Negro Police wore black or dark blue police uniforms, an identifying armband (not worn in the picture above), a custodian helmet and a badge (though chiefs wore a kepi), they weren’t allowed to carry guns but did carry batons and large knotted sticks. Also a notable feature of the Negro Police was their lack of footwear (including socks), this was done on purpose by the Freedom Party to humiliate them and in the words of Freedom Party Attorney General Ferdinand Koenig:

“To drive home the point that they (the Negro Police) are deemed as sheep dogs looking over the flock of black sheep, readying them for the slaughter.”

In ghettos where the NegroCoun was resistant to Freedomite orders, the Negro police were often used to control or just outright replace the council. One of the largest Negro police units was in the Montgomery Ghetto, where the police numbered about 2,500. The Atlanta Ghetto had about 1,200 with others having similar or smaller numbers to Atlanta’s.

ctc_04_img1005.jpg
018_twcpress_police-web.jpg

A picture of the Atlanta Ghetto in 1940 (top). Harvey X. Duncan, chief of the Atlanta Ghetto Police circa 1943 (bottom).
The Negro Police was also heavily violent and severely corrupt with Harvey Xavier Duncan, the chief of the Atlanta Ghetto Auxiliary Policing Service, detailing in his memoirs the day-to-day work of the police i.e. protecting food depots, controlling employees at ghetto bakeries or other places of business, and violently putting down riots, as well as patrolling the area and confiscating food from the ghetto residents. He recounts the involvement of Negro Policemen in swindling food rations and in forcing women to provide sexual services in exchange for bread.

The Americo-Jamaican historian and Ghetto archivist Elliot Hill has described the cruelty of the ghetto negro police as "at times greater than that of the Freedom Party Guards or the regular army." Most of ghetto police ultimately shared the same fate with all their fellow ghetto inmates. During a ghetto’s liquidation they were either killed on–site or sent to extermination camps (usually after rounding up the ghetto residents and putting them on transports to the camps) though some escaped this fate via help from sympathetic Confederate white citizens or acting as double agents for the USA.

mlk_at_home_021.jpg

Elliot Hill pouring over research material for his most famous archival work “Ghettos: The Overlooked Centres of the Population Reduction” circa 1962.​

————————————————————————————

* = Though they were organised by the NegCouns, they received their orders from local Confederate military commanders, Freedom Guards leaders, or from local Freedom Party officials.

Last edited:
g2cs3s9.jpg

Members of the Atlanta Ghetto Police pose for a photograph circa 1941.​

Ghetto Police (officially known as the Ghetto Auxiliary Policing Service), called 'the Negro Police' by Black Confederates, were police auxiliaries organized by the local ghetto councils called 'Negro Councils or NegCouns for short*' within the myriad of Black Confederate ghettos found throughout the many of the major cities of the Freedomite Confederate States of America.

Members of the Negro Police wore black or dark blue police uniforms, an identifying armband (not worn in the picture above), a custodian helmet and a badge (though chiefs wore a kepi), they weren’t allowed to carry guns but did carried batons and large knotted sticks. Also a notable feature of the Negro Police was their lack of footwear, this was done on purpose by the Freedom Party to humiliate them and in the words of Freedom Party Attorney General Ferdinand Koenig:

“To drive home the point that they (the Negro Police) are deemed as sheep dogs looking over the flock of black sheep readying them for the slaughter.”​

In ghettos where the NegroCouns was resistant to Freedomite orders, the Negro police were often used to control or outright replace the council. One of the largest Negro police units was to be found in the Montgomery Ghetto, where the police numbered about 2,500. The Atlanta Ghetto had about 1,200 with others having similar or smaller numbers to Atlanta’s.

ctc_04_img1005.jpg
018_twcpress_police-web.jpg

A picture of the Atlanta Ghetto in 1940 (top). Harvey X. Duncan, chief of the Atlanta Ghetto Police circa 1943 (bottom).
The Negro Police was also heavily violent and corrupt with Harvey Xavier Duncan, the chief of the Atlanta Ghetto Auxiliary Policing Service, detailing in his memoirs the day-to-day work of the police i.e. protecting food depots, controlling employees at ghetto bakeries or other places of business, violently putting down riots, as well as patrolling the area and confiscating food from the ghetto residents. He recounts the involvement of Negro Policemen in swindling food rations and in forcing women to provide sexual services in exchange for bread.

The Americo-Jamaican historian and Ghetto archivist Elliot Hill has described the cruelty of the ghetto negro police as "at times greater than that of the Freedom Party Guards or the regular army." The ghetto police ultimately shared the same fate with all their fellow ghetto inmates. A ghetto’s liquidation they were either killed on–site or sent to extermination camps (usually after rounding up the ghetto residents and putting them on transports to the camps).

mlk_at_home_021.jpg

Elliot Hill pouring over research material for his most famous archival work “Ghettos: The Overlooked Centres of the Population Reduction” circa 1962.​

———————————————————————

* = Though they were organised by the NegCouns, they received their orders from local Confederate military commanders, Freedom Guards leaders, or from local Freedom Party officials.

A very interesting idea, Alpha-King98760.

It gives plausibility to the idea of some Black Confederates working with the CFP and turning over their own people in order to live a little while longer. However, I can still see some of them surviving with the help of sympathetic Confederates or acting as double agents with the USA. Regardless of some having good intentions, they would still be viewed upon as traitors.

Last edited:
maxresdefault.jpg

Following the Second Great War, the USA looked to mend bridges with Britain to countenance the rise of Japan, which included helping to rebuild the country. One of the ways they did so was with the mass-produced "S160" locomotive, several hundred of which were sent across the Atlantic in early 1945 along with the "S100" dock shunters.

The S160s quickly proved their worth on heavy freight duties, working alongside their Riddles WD Counterparts, as well as the Stanier 8Fs and later 9Fs. Unlike the S100 Class, which were consigned to the Southern Region, the S160s were found all over Britain, being nicknamed "Yanks" by the engine crews - partly from their American origin and also because they had a tendency to "yank" their trains along.

The last examples were withdrawn in 1993. Several are preserved, including the above example on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway.

Based on an earlier post that I made, I decided to make some book covers for an alternate version of TMITHC and FL. Looking back at what I wrote, there are some ideas that I'm not too sure about, so consider this a soft 2.0 version until I change my mind again. :p

2_Cover for TMITHOD.jpg

Published in 1962 by Hawthorne Abendsen, this book imagines a world in which the Confederacy won against the United States nearly twenty years after the end of the Second Great War.

alt-POD: Sometime in late 1942, Featherston is convinced by General Nathan Bedford Forrest III about not attempting to completely control Pittsburgh and moves the C.S. army further east in Pennsylvania. This culminates in the Battle of Harrisburg and ends in a decisive victory in favor of the Confederacy. To avoid Philadelphia from being attacked by the Confederates, the USA surrenders and is forced to agree to the terms laid out by Featherston.

2_Dixieland Cover.jpg

Written by the English author, Robert Harris, Dixieland is set in a world where the Confederacy won the Second Great War against the United States, but its European allies lost against Germany.

alt-POD: In 1941, Confederate Physicist, Henderson V. FitzBelmont, is more confident and gambles with his luck by "lying" to Featherston about the guaranteed success of creating a superbomb that can destroy a city. With more funding given to FitzBelmont from Featherston, the Confederates are able to create a more explosive superbomb and detonate it in Philadelphia in 1943, destroying most of the city and killing most of the American leadership. This forces the United States to surrender when Featherston threatens to bomb more cities if they do not. However, Germany is still able to superbomb France and Russia, kicking them from the war. Reluctantly and with the help of some Confederate diplomacy, Britain considers calling for a cease-fire...

Last edited:
No.

This is something based off my head canon.

Oh, in that case....

Did Japan really just annexed everything, or does it not show it sphere of influence, and puppets?

How did Japan lose Taiwan? Taiwan was almost the 5th Home Island. Taiwan was constructed to be the model colony, and there were even Japanese politicians and noblemen who wanted to integrate Taiwan directly into Japan. Full prefecture-status, rights to get elected to the Japanese Diet, etc. The locals like Japanese rule as Japanese very much beloved towards Taiwan. Even if China tied to take it by back, they are totally landlocked by 1989.

Who rules Manchuria?

How did Nationalist China pull itself together?

I always have my doubts of a Japanese Republic. Even today, many Japanese have an genuine belief that the Emperor is a God on Earth. Especially given Imperial Japan and it Empire last all the way into 1989...

How the heck did Mongolia become so enlarge?

Oh, in that case....

Did Japan really just annexed everything, or does it not show it sphere of influence, and puppets?

Not everything. I'd imagine there would be some parts of China that are never fully controlled by Japan. Nations such as India and Mongolia have geography that make it extremely difficult for the Japanese to fully control. I thought about portraying Burma and Thailand as puppet states, but it was easier to show them as being an integral part of Japan.

How did Japan lose Taiwan? Taiwan was almost the 5th Home Island. Taiwan was constructed to be the model colony, and there were even Japanese politicians and noblemen who wanted to integrate Taiwan directly into Japan. Full prefecture-status, rights to get elected to the Japanese Diet, etc. The locals like Japanese rule as Japanese very much beloved towards Taiwan. Even if China tied to take it by back, they are totally landlocked by 1989.

At this point in 1989, I think that the Japanese Empire is simply too big and its influence is too stretched out across the Pacific that it simply shatters under its own weight, especially when Hirohito dies on January 7th and the government scrambles to regain control but it's too late now that rebellions occurr.

I didn't know that Taiwan was a model colony. Perhaps they decide to stay with the Empire or rule themselves as a type of Japanese-inspired nation, if not completely taken over by Chinese nationalists.

How did Nationalist China pull itself together?

Good question. That'd be something worth writing about to fill in for the future.

Maybe they receive help from the Germans or Americans. If not, they are united under an attempt to install a Communist government.

I always have my doubts of a Japanese Republic. Even today, many Japanese have an genuine belief that the Emperor is a God on Earth. Especially given Imperial Japan and it Empire last all the way into 1989...

I don't know if that's true, but what I can say is that I'd imagine there being some kind of anti-divinity underground movement in Japan that flares up every now and then. It's an anti-parallel idea that I thought or for TL-191. Basically, The Japanese Empire is the "Soviet Union" in this timeline and it experiences its own collapse in a similar manner in OTL, forming new nations and the like.

How the heck did Mongolia become so enlarge?

That was a wild card event that I chose.

OmniAtlas shows that west of Mongolia, there was a Soviet-influenced Xinjiang ruled by Sheng Shicai. I decided to let Mongolia keep it, but now I'm having second-thoughts. Maybe its part of China or its own nation.

Daffy – The Commando is a Warner Bros. cartoon in the Looney Tunes series released on November 20, 1943, to theaters and directed by Friz Freleng. It features the character Daffy Duck.

daffythecommandotitle.jpg

Title Card

Set on the SGW-era Confederate front lines, Commander Tobias Vultur VI & 7/8 is tempestuously pacing back and forth inside his bunker (resembling more the trenches of the Great War) while fuming and spluttering furiously about how so many Union commandos have managed to slip behind enemy lines undetected. After getting a telegram from Featherston warning him he'll be canned (as in stuffed inside a tin can) if he lets one more commando through, Vultur calls in his orderly Eugene after hearing a Union warplane overhead. They then see Daffy Duck parachuting down, singing "God Bless the Stars and Stripes" off key.

daffythecommandoscreenshot.jpg

Commander Vultur VI & 7/8, Eugene (bottom right) and Daffy Duck

After various antics, including a running gag where Vultur hits Eugene with a mallet, Daffy then jumps in a plane, narrowly avoiding being shot by "a whole pack of howling mad Hound Dogs". When Daffy is shot down by Vultur, his plane is literally blown to pieces (its entire body progressively disintegrating and disappearing from back to front, eventually leaving just the engine and propeller), with Daffy still clinging to the controls. Daffy then runs into what he believes is a tunnel where he can hide, but it turns out to be the barrel of a huge howitzer cannon, and he's then shot out by Vultur ("Now try and duck this one, you duck!").

Daffy survives unharmed and lands in Richmond where a rotoscoped Jake Featherston is giving a speech of largely gobbledygook. Daffy hits Featherston with a mallet, causing the dictator to yell for Eugene similar to Vultur.

Note: TTL's version of OTL's 1943 cartoon, Daffy the Commando obviously - Daffy the Commando Wikipedia Entry

Daffy – The Commando is a Warner Bros. cartoon in the Looney Tunes series released on November 20, 1943, to theaters and directed by Friz Freleng. It features the character Daffy Duck.

View attachment 515469
Title Card

Set on the SGW-era Confederate front lines, Commander Tobias Vultur VI & 7/8 is tempestuously pacing back and forth inside his bunker (resembling more the trenches of the Great War) while fuming and spluttering furiously about how so many Union commandos have managed to slip behind enemy lines undetected. After getting a telegram from Featherston warning him he'll be canned (as in stuffed inside a tin can) if he lets one more commando through, Vultur calls in his orderly Eugene after hearing a Union warplane overhead. They then see Daffy Duck parachuting down, singing "God Bless the Stars and Stripes" off key.

View attachment 515472
Commander Vultur VI & 7/8, Eugene (bottom right) and Daffy Duck

After various antics, including a running gag where Vultur hits Eugene with a mallet, Daffy then jumps in a plane, narrowly avoiding being shot by "a whole pack of howling mad Hound Dogs". When Daffy is shot down by Vultur, his plane is literally blown to pieces (its entire body progressively disintegrating and disappearing from back to front, eventually leaving just the engine and propeller), with Daffy still clinging to the controls. Daffy then runs into what he believes is a tunnel where he can hide, but it turns out to be the barrel of a huge howitzer cannon, and he's then shot out by Vultur ("Now try and duck this one, you duck!").

Daffy survives unharmed and lands in Richmond where a rotoscoped Jake Featherston is giving a speech of largely gobbledygook. Daffy hits Featherston with a mallet, causing the dictator to yell for Eugene similar to Vultur.

Note: TTL's version of OTL's 1943 cartoon, Daffy the Commando obviously - Daffy the Commando Wikipedia Entry
Very good!

I'd like to imagine Daffy Duck having a "Black" voice in TL-191.

Also, maybe this post belongs in the "Pop Culture in TL-191" thread.

What are these two countries like in TL-191?

In my opinion, I view them as former colonies of Britain who want to avoid association with it because of connections with Mosleyian Ultranationalism and the Confederacy.

They cozy up with the United States so that they won't be an open target from the Japanese Empire. With a promise of treating the Aboriginals (and presumably Maori) with equal treatment under their own laws and to hunt down any members of the Confederate Freedom Party, the United States opens up diplomatic relationships with the two nations and sends a message to Japan that they are not to be meddled with.

The general history of Australia and New Zealand in TL-191 is, more or less, the same in OTL, but with a stronger emphasis on republicanism and their own national identity without modern British influence.

Last edited: