Photos from Featherston's Confederacy/ TL-191

kernel

Gone Fishin'
Nice soda write up are you doing ones for Pepsi and Doctor Pepper or Dr. Hopper as it is called in the books
pepsi-cola-5-five-cents-plenty-plenty-plenty-pepsi-keystone-cop-logo-soda-pop-advertisement-the-vintage-sign-co.jpg
Pepsi-Cola was invented in 1898 by Caleb Bradham, a drugstore owner in New Bern, North Carolina, and was named "Pepsi" due to the claim that it could cure indigestion. It became popular in the Confederate States, second only to Coca Cola. In 1911, the Pepsi-Cola company expanded into the United States.

Following the First Great War, economic crisis and hyperinflation hit the Pepsi-Cola Company hard, and it was forced to declare bankrupcy. Bradham sold the company and its trademark to the Coca Cola Company in 1923, and returned to the drugstore business in North Carolina. Coca Cola continued to sell Pepsi until 1930, when it retired the drink.

1701369808003.png

Dr Hopper's original symbol
At the 1904 New Orlean's World Fair, attendees were greeted to the various marvels of the new century. The Confederacy was determined to upstage the 1896 Chicago World's Fair, and therefore spent over $20 million dollars (or about $691 million in today's money) on the exposition. Held on the grounds of Tulane University, one could witness new inventions from over sixty nations such as infant incubators, electric streetcars, and the airplane. However, another invention would also make its world debut in New Orleans: Dr. Hopper.

Invented by Yankee immigrant Charles Alderton in Waco Texas in 1885, Dr. Hopper was a mixture of over 23 flavors including saparsilla, lemon, vanilla, and phopshoric acid. Originally a regional Texas drink, Dr. Hopper would rise to nationwide prominence in the Confederacy after the New Orlean's World Fair, becoming a major competitor to established brands such as Pepsi-Cola, Coca-Cola, and Dixie Punch, though unlike Coca-Cola its worldwide reach was limited.

Dr. Hopper exploded in popularity during the Great Depression when it switched to a 12 ounce bottle, allowing for cash strapped customers to get more soda than Coca-Cola for the same price. During the early years of Featherston's Confederacy, the Freedom Party distrusted Dr. Hopper due to Charles Alderton's Yankee origins, and favored Coca Cola instead. In response, Alderton personally met with Jake Featherston and ordered the company to begin a patriotic advertising campaign, which succeeded in changing the minds of several Freedom Party members. Jake Featherston was a big fan of the soda, and in a rally with Alderton stated that Dr. Hopper was the drink of choice for the "Confederate working man". Like its competitor Coca Cola, Dr. Hopper advertisements during this period also doubled as Freedomite and SGW propoganda.

1701374352109.jpeg

Dr. Hopper ads during the SG@

Following the SGW, Texas was considered a "victim of Southern aggression" and became an independent nation, avoiding the harsh occupation of the "core" Confederate states. As Dr. Hopper was considered a Texan company (it was based in Waco, Texas), instead of a Confederate one, it was allowed to retain its surviving facilities on the basis that they were moved outside of the Southern Occupation Zone to comply with deindustralization regulations. During the 1950s Dr. Hopper changed its brand from a "southern drink" to a "Texas drink", emphasizing its Texas origins and becoming a symbol of the Republic of Texas. Dr. Hopper expanded to the United States, where it was sold under the "Lone Star" label until 1961 to avoid any negative associations with Featherston's confederacy.
1701373827942.png

A 1960s Dr. Hopper advertisement emphasizing its Texan roots

Dr. Hopper would become popular in the US during the Texas-Mania period in the 1970s and 1980s, when Texan cinema, clothing, and cuisine spread like wildfire in the US and around the world. The big break for Dr. Pepper would come after the release of the Texan 1973 action-comedy Hold 'em High starring US actor Burt Reynolds. Reynold's character, a getaway driver and smuggler, was an avid drinker of Dr. Hopper, and his iconic road scenes behind the wheel with the drink in hand became a cultural watermark and a symbol of the "free Texas spirit". The movie became a sleeper hit in Japan, where demand for the drink caused severe shortages. Japan and its associated territories became the largest market for Dr. Hopper, surpassing Texas. This is partly due to the fact that consumption of US brands such as Moxie and Deleware Punch is seen as unpatriotic in Japan.

bandit-burt-reynolds.gif

Burt Reynolds with cans of Dr. Hopper in "Hold 'em High"

Today Dr. Hopper is a popular drink in Texas, the CSA, and a few US states, as well as several nations in Latin America and East Asia. In Japan in particular, Dr. Hopper has become a major part of the "Tex" subculture, which has been adapted to Japanese culture in many movies and animated shows.

Last edited:

kernel

Gone Fishin'
In remembrance of the totally-noble Henry Kissinger, what would TL-191's equivalent of Henry Kissinger be like?
I have Heinz Kissinger ( aka Henry Kissinger) becoming the Chancellor of Germany in the 1970s in my headcanon.

But if we want another political figure who bases their ideas on realpolitik and engages in morally questionable antics I have an idea:

Henry Morgenthau: Secretary of the Treasury under the Dewey Presidency, Morgenthau was responsible for his namesake plan of Southern deindustrialization, which saw thousands of industrial facilities shipped North and Southern national resources nationalized and sold to US corporations. In addition, the plan called for food to be rationed in the Occupation Zone and for food consumption to be purposefully restricted as to reduce the strength of the population and their will to rebel. When this plan backfired and unrest and rebellion flared across the former Confederacy, Morgenthau was one of the main advocates for the use of concentration camps as well as the destruction of farms and food supplies in areas active with rebels. This eventually ended the first phase of rebellion in the South, but this uneasy peace would be temporary. Overall, it is believed that thousands of Southerners died of exposure and starvation due to Morgenthau's policies.

Lee Kuan Yew: During the capture of Singapore, Lee was conscripted by the Japanese and sent into a forced labor batallion building railroads in Burma. He escaped and fled to China, where he was involved in politics, and became the Premier of the Republic of China in 1980. Lee, acting under President Sun Yun-suan, engaged in various methods to crush opposition internally, and carried out a campaign of assassinations of dissidents living abroad. He strong armed Southeast Asian states into economic dependence, and expanded Chinese economic influence in the region at the expense of the Japanese empire. In the 90s, Lee did an about turn on Chinese foreign policy, allowing the alliance with India and the US to fall to the back-burner and began to make overtures to Japan, which helped to further Chinese security and economic interests. Both nations would sign the secret "Red Jade Protocol" that divided Indo-Pacific region into Chinese and Japanese zones of influence. This document would not become public knowledge until the 2020s. Overall Lee was obcessed with one goal only: to modernize China and make it rich, no matter the cost

Last edited:
In remembrance of the totally-noble Henry Kissinger, what would TL-191's equivalent of Henry Kissinger be like?

In my headcanon Heinz Kissinger becomes German chancellor sometimes in 1970's. He is still bit controversial speciality on African and Indian issues (India balkanises in myheadcanon at end of 1940's due civil war).

I have Heinz Kissinger ( aka Henry Kissinger) becoming the Chancellor of Germany in the 1970s in my headcanon.

In my headcanon Heinz Kissinger becomes German chancellor sometimes in 1970's. He is still bit controversial speciality on African and Indian issues (India balkanises in myheadcanon at end of 1940's due civil war).
Oh God, imagine him being a leader of a country.

Yamato and Missouri docking in Brest for the Brest Conference. With Prime Minster Kuniaki Koiso on board the Yamato and President Thomas Dewey on board the Missouri.
6h7tdl3v0bu51.png

The father of the German superbomb and father of the Japanese superbomb meeting each other in 1922 after a lecture by Albert Einstein at the University of Tokyo.

Kotaro_Honda_Albert_EinsteinKeiichi_AichiSirouta_Kusukabe.jpg

Last edited:
The Remembrance Party: A far-right minor political party in the US that was created after the Second Mexican War. The party would lose significance (if it even had any) after the US victory over the CS in WW1. Their platform would be US nationalism and conservative economics, with a pledge to make sure the South will never rise again. Today, their legacy lives on in fringe far-right US nationalists and even neo-Confederates, who fit the OG into their own ideologies. Here is their party logo:

Attachments

• Remembrance_USA_%28Turtledove%29.PNG.png
    Remembrance_USA_%28Turtledove%29.PNG.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 70
The Remembrance Party: A far-right minor political party in the US that was created after the Second Mexican War. The party would lose significance (if it even had any) after the US victory over the CS in WW1. Their platform would be US nationalism and conservative economics, with a pledge to make sure the South will never rise again. Today, their legacy lives on in fringe far-right US nationalists and even neo-Confederates, who fit the OG into their own ideologies. Here is their party logo:

Can't see picture.

kernel

Gone Fishin'
RTSOX8J.jpg

US Secretary of State George HW Bush jokes around with Texan president Ross Perot and CSA vice president Bill Clinton during the 1993 Pan-American Conference in Quebec City. This conference was crucial for the newly independent CSA, as it helped to solidify its place among nations in the Western Hemisphere, and eased the fears of leaders such as Ross Perot over the CSA's existence.

Last edited:
RTSOX8J.jpg

US Secretary of State George HW Bush jokes around with Texan president Ross Perot and CSA vice president Bill Clinton during the 1993 Pan-American Conference in Quebec City. This conference was crucial for the newly independent CSA, as it helped to solidify its place among nations in the Western Hemisphere, and eased the fears of leaders such as Ross Perot over the CSA's existence.

I personally disagree with the independence of Texas and the CSA after WW2, but this is a good change of context to fit the image in.

kernel

Gone Fishin'
I personally disagree with the independence of Texas and the CSA after WW2, but this is a good change of context to fit the image in.
Thanks! Since the CSA has been an independent nation for over 80 years, I personally think national identity among those in the South would be hard to erase, and after a prolonged insurgency the USA would eventually grant some sort of autonomy/independence.

Thanks! Since the CSA has been an independent nation for over 80 years, I personally think national identity among those in the South would be hard to erase, and after a prolonged insurgency the USA would eventually grant some sort of autonomy/independence.

On the flip-side, the existence of the CSA (de-militarized or not) is a proven national security threat to the US. On top of that, the US has legitimate claim to annex pre-1861 Confederate territory (fuck you Sonora, Cuba, and Chihuahua).

On the topic of "national identity", the CSA since birth has been a racist ethno-state that made the lives of non-whites a painful hell. That's their identity. That's their legacy. Millions of men, women, and children being discriminated against and put in gas chambers because...they're not white. Factoring all that in, I'm sure the US government will not hesitate to move Heaven and Earth to fully civilize the South, not only because they have historical claim to it, but because an independent South would mean a continuation of murderous racism that was always part of it.

On the flip-side, the existence of the CSA (de-militarized or not) is a proven national security threat to the US. On top of that, the US has legitimate claim to annex pre-1861 Confederate territory (fuck you Sonora, Cuba, and Chihuahua).

On the topic of "national identity", the CSA since birth has been a racist ethno-state that made the lives of non-whites a painful hell. That's their identity. That's their legacy. Millions of men, women, and children being discriminated against and put in gas chambers because...they're not white. Factoring all that in, I'm sure the US government will not hesitate to move Heaven and Earth to fully civilize the South, not only because they have historical claim to it, but because an independent South would mean a continuation of murderous racism that was always part of it.
Let’s be honest, this “Independent” CSA will be a puppet government that gives preferential deals to the American government. The USA isn’t going to actually let the CSA be a power and they’ll keep them on a short leash. Plus the CSA will most likely only have a fraction of their land given to them, with most of the Upper South probably staying with the USA. Leaving probably only the Deep South states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and maybe Florida.

The CSA puppet government will mostly have an ideology that the USA finds agreeable. Essentially I’m saying that they’ll be a Latin American US friendly dictatorship. Which most of those Latin American also had some pretty hardcore and violent prone ideologies as well, so the CSA having some won’t be out of the ordinary.

Plus I feel like people forget that the USA of this TL are straight up cultural imperialists that partake ethic cleansing (Mormons out of Utah), population replacement (Americans moving to Canada to suppress the Canadian identity), mass hostage taking (one of the characters wondering if the USA will be conducting its own population reduction in the CSA as a Florida city was about to have hundreds of people taken hostage and executed and rose up in revolt…which will be brutally put down and result in more hostage taking).

Considering historical American animosity against Indigenous peoples, I’m feeling the indigenous peoples of the CSA and Canada are in for a very rough time indeed. Especially the Native tribes of Sequoyah considering they have been with the CSA from the start of the CSA’s birth.

All of this to say that Harry Turtledove definitely wrote in various parallels to how vicious and nasty the Soviet Union could get. The Freedomites were very violent and awful, and the United States government in this TL is only better in comparison to them. With everting I have written, the Confederate national/ethnic identity will probably stick around unless some severe atrocities happen.

Let’s be honest, this “Independent” CSA will be a puppet government that gives preferential deals to the American government. The USA isn’t going to actually let the CSA be a power and they’ll keep them on a short leash. Plus the CSA will most likely only have a fraction of their land given to them, with most of the Upper South probably staying with the USA. Leaving probably only the Deep South states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and maybe Florida.

The CSA puppet government will mostly have an ideology that the USA finds agreeable. Essentially I’m saying that they’ll be a Latin American US friendly dictatorship. Which most of those Latin American also had some pretty hardcore and violent prone ideologies as well, so the CSA having some won’t be out of the ordinary.

Plus I feel like people forget that the USA of this TL are straight up cultural imperialists that partake ethic cleansing (Mormons out of Utah), population replacement (Americans moving to Canada to suppress the Canadian identity), mass hostage taking (one of the characters wondering if the USA will be conducting its own population reduction in the CSA as a Florida city was about to have hundreds of people taken hostage and executed and rose up in revolt…which will be brutally put down and result in more hostage taking).

Considering historical American animosity against Indigenous peoples, I’m feeling the indigenous peoples of the CSA and Canada are in for a very rough time indeed. Especially the Native tribes of Sequoyah considering they have been with the CSA from the start of the CSA’s birth.

All of this to say that Harry Turtledove definitely wrote in various parallels to how vicious and nasty the Soviet Union could get. The Freedomites were very violent and awful, and the United States government in this TL is only better in comparison to them. With everting I have written, the Confederate national/ethnic identity will probably stick around unless some severe atrocities happen.

To be honest, them Mormons fucking deserve it. Their religion literally says Natives and Blacks have dark skin because the dark skin is some kind of devil curse. I'd kill anyone with such beliefs. I'm surprised that the Confederates don't really sympathize with the Mormons much considering how united they are in their hatred of non-whites.

I do understand your point of view though. The US of this timeline shares the brutality of our Soviet Union. I wish Turtledove portrayed the US here a little more kindly, because US annexation of the South will honestly be more culturally successful if the US either never had Mormon problems, or pursued a policy of casual expansion into Canada. By that I mean giving Canadians a choice to piss off into British territory or become Americans, which is what could've happened in a hypothetical US victory in the 1812 War.

I don't mean to sound like those "God Bless America" mfers of our timeline, but the US in 191 are way too ruthless with the Mormons and Canadians, which will interfere with the public opinion of annexation of the South. On the other hand, the Mormon rebellions shouldn't have even been a factor, I don't think those guys wanted an independent nation in our timeline.

kernel

Gone Fishin'
The USA has annexed Sonora, Cuba, and Chihuahua post-war. Although the Confederacy was proven to be a national security issue, a conventional threat to the United States was negated during the post-SGW occupation by the deindustrialization of the Confederacy and the control of its resources by US corporations. The only threat to the USA during this period was insurgencies and terrorist attacks, and therefore giving the South independence would probably make the US safer. There are still US military bases in the South and the Confederacy is basically an economic colony/protectorate of the United States, and this dependence ensures that it will never act out of line.

I agree, the CSA was a pathetic excuse of a nation that was created to protect slavery and oppress African Americans. However, the CSA ITTL was an independent nation for eighty years (which was about the same amount of time as Germany by the time of WW2) and fought four wars with the United States, and therefore they would have had all that time period to create a national identity, and the occupation (which is pretty harsh by how Turtledove describes it) would only increase these feelings of nationalism. This sense of nationalism is so engrained that there are even left wing groups fighting for Southern independence.

Since most African Americans have left the South and have either resettled in Utah or Haiti, and not many immigrants want to move to the impoverished nation, there really aren't that many minorities for this Confederacy to oppress. Furthermore, during the peace process the Southern states and the Confederacy implimented various anti-racist legislation as well as compensation towards the surviving victims of the Population Reductions and their descendants. Since the black population in the USA is one of the wealthiest and most influential demographic groups, their lobbying of the US government ensures that the US utilizes its influence over the Confederacy to maintain equal rights. In an earlier post I mentioned that the new Confederate consitution:
condemned and banned racism, ensured quotas in the government and private sector for Afro-Southerners, guaranteed a welfare state, and created a republican form of government with robust institutions to prevent the rise of a dictatorship similar to Featherstone's

Are you going for an Irish Troubles analog? Just curious 🧐
Yeah, I made the insurgency in the South very similar to the Troubles, but on a much larger and bloodier scale. I also based parts of it on the Algerian War.

Last edited: