Photos from Featherston's Confederacy/ TL-191

Based on an earlier post that I made, I decided to make some book covers for an alternate version of TMITHC and FL. Looking back at what I wrote, there are some ideas that I'm not too sure about, so consider this a soft 2.0 version until I change my mind again. :p

2_Cover for TMITHOD.jpg

Published in 1962 by Hawthorne Abendsen, this book imagines a world in which the Confederacy won against the United States nearly twenty years after the end of the Second Great War.

alt-POD: Sometime in late 1942, Featherston is convinced by General Nathan Bedford Forrest III about not attempting to completely control Pittsburgh and moves the C.S. army further east in Pennsylvania. This culminates in the Battle of Harrisburg and ends in a decisive victory in favor of the Confederacy. To avoid Philadelphia from being attacked by the Confederates, the USA surrenders and is forced to agree to the terms laid out by Featherston.

2_Dixieland Cover.jpg

Written by the English author, Robert Harris, Dixieland is set in a world where the Confederacy won the Second Great War against the United States, but its European allies lost against Germany.

alt-POD: In 1941, Confederate Physicist, Henderson V. FitzBelmont, is more confident and gambles with his luck by "lying" to Featherston about the guaranteed success of creating a superbomb that can destroy a city. With more funding given to FitzBelmont from Featherston, the Confederates are able to create a more explosive superbomb and detonate it in Philadelphia in 1943, destroying most of the city and killing most of the American leadership. This forces the United States to surrender when Featherston threatens to bomb more cities if they do not. However, Germany is still able to superbomb France and Russia, kicking them from the war. Reluctantly and with the help of some Confederate diplomacy, Britain considers calling for a cease-fire...

Last edited:
No.

This is something based off my head canon.
Oh, in that case....

Did Japan really just annexed everything, or does it not show it sphere of influence, and puppets?

How did Japan lose Taiwan? Taiwan was almost the 5th Home Island. Taiwan was constructed to be the model colony, and there were even Japanese politicians and noblemen who wanted to integrate Taiwan directly into Japan. Full prefecture-status, rights to get elected to the Japanese Diet, etc. The locals like Japanese rule as Japanese very much beloved towards Taiwan. Even if China tied to take it by back, they are totally landlocked by 1989.

Who rules Manchuria?

How did Nationalist China pull itself together?

I always have my doubts of a Japanese Republic. Even today, many Japanese have an genuine belief that the Emperor is a God on Earth. Especially given Imperial Japan and it Empire last all the way into 1989...

How the heck did Mongolia become so enlarge?

Oh, in that case....

Did Japan really just annexed everything, or does it not show it sphere of influence, and puppets?
Not everything. I'd imagine there would be some parts of China that are never fully controlled by Japan. Nations such as India and Mongolia have geography that make it extremely difficult for the Japanese to fully control. I thought about portraying Burma and Thailand as puppet states, but it was easier to show them as being an integral part of Japan.

How did Japan lose Taiwan? Taiwan was almost the 5th Home Island. Taiwan was constructed to be the model colony, and there were even Japanese politicians and noblemen who wanted to integrate Taiwan directly into Japan. Full prefecture-status, rights to get elected to the Japanese Diet, etc. The locals like Japanese rule as Japanese very much beloved towards Taiwan. Even if China tied to take it by back, they are totally landlocked by 1989.
At this point in 1989, I think that the Japanese Empire is simply too big and its influence is too stretched out across the Pacific that it simply shatters under its own weight, especially when Hirohito dies on January 7th and the government scrambles to regain control but it's too late now that rebellions occurr.

I didn't know that Taiwan was a model colony. Perhaps they decide to stay with the Empire or rule themselves as a type of Japanese-inspired nation, if not completely taken over by Chinese nationalists.

How did Nationalist China pull itself together?
Good question. That'd be something worth writing about to fill in for the future.

Maybe they receive help from the Germans or Americans. If not, they are united under an attempt to install a Communist government.

I always have my doubts of a Japanese Republic. Even today, many Japanese have an genuine belief that the Emperor is a God on Earth. Especially given Imperial Japan and it Empire last all the way into 1989...
I don't know if that's true, but what I can say is that I'd imagine there being some kind of anti-divinity underground movement in Japan that flares up every now and then. It's an anti-parallel idea that I thought or for TL-191. Basically, The Japanese Empire is the "Soviet Union" in this timeline and it experiences its own collapse in a similar manner in OTL, forming new nations and the like.

How the heck did Mongolia become so enlarge?
That was a wild card event that I chose.

OmniAtlas shows that west of Mongolia, there was a Soviet-influenced Xinjiang ruled by Sheng Shicai. I decided to let Mongolia keep it, but now I'm having second-thoughts. Maybe its part of China or its own nation.

Daffy – The Commando is a Warner Bros. cartoon in the Looney Tunes series released on November 20, 1943, to theaters and directed by Friz Freleng. It features the character Daffy Duck.

daffythecommandotitle.jpg

Title Card

Set on the SGW-era Confederate front lines, Commander Tobias Vultur VI & 7/8 is tempestuously pacing back and forth inside his bunker (resembling more the trenches of the Great War) while fuming and spluttering furiously about how so many Union commandos have managed to slip behind enemy lines undetected. After getting a telegram from Featherston warning him he'll be canned (as in stuffed inside a tin can) if he lets one more commando through, Vultur calls in his orderly Eugene after hearing a Union warplane overhead. They then see Daffy Duck parachuting down, singing "God Bless the Stars and Stripes" off key.

daffythecommandoscreenshot.jpg

Commander Vultur VI & 7/8, Eugene (bottom right) and Daffy Duck

After various antics, including a running gag where Vultur hits Eugene with a mallet, Daffy then jumps in a plane, narrowly avoiding being shot by "a whole pack of howling mad Hound Dogs". When Daffy is shot down by Vultur, his plane is literally blown to pieces (its entire body progressively disintegrating and disappearing from back to front, eventually leaving just the engine and propeller), with Daffy still clinging to the controls. Daffy then runs into what he believes is a tunnel where he can hide, but it turns out to be the barrel of a huge howitzer cannon, and he's then shot out by Vultur ("Now try and duck this one, you duck!").

Daffy survives unharmed and lands in Richmond where a rotoscoped Jake Featherston is giving a speech of largely gobbledygook. Daffy hits Featherston with a mallet, causing the dictator to yell for Eugene similar to Vultur.

Note: TTL's version of OTL's 1943 cartoon, Daffy the Commando obviously - Daffy the Commando Wikipedia Entry

Daffy – The Commando is a Warner Bros. cartoon in the Looney Tunes series released on November 20, 1943, to theaters and directed by Friz Freleng. It features the character Daffy Duck.

View attachment 515469
Title Card

Set on the SGW-era Confederate front lines, Commander Tobias Vultur VI & 7/8 is tempestuously pacing back and forth inside his bunker (resembling more the trenches of the Great War) while fuming and spluttering furiously about how so many Union commandos have managed to slip behind enemy lines undetected. After getting a telegram from Featherston warning him he'll be canned (as in stuffed inside a tin can) if he lets one more commando through, Vultur calls in his orderly Eugene after hearing a Union warplane overhead. They then see Daffy Duck parachuting down, singing "God Bless the Stars and Stripes" off key.

View attachment 515472
Commander Vultur VI & 7/8, Eugene (bottom right) and Daffy Duck

After various antics, including a running gag where Vultur hits Eugene with a mallet, Daffy then jumps in a plane, narrowly avoiding being shot by "a whole pack of howling mad Hound Dogs". When Daffy is shot down by Vultur, his plane is literally blown to pieces (its entire body progressively disintegrating and disappearing from back to front, eventually leaving just the engine and propeller), with Daffy still clinging to the controls. Daffy then runs into what he believes is a tunnel where he can hide, but it turns out to be the barrel of a huge howitzer cannon, and he's then shot out by Vultur ("Now try and duck this one, you duck!").

Daffy survives unharmed and lands in Richmond where a rotoscoped Jake Featherston is giving a speech of largely gobbledygook. Daffy hits Featherston with a mallet, causing the dictator to yell for Eugene similar to Vultur.

Note: TTL's version of OTL's 1943 cartoon, Daffy the Commando obviously - Daffy the Commando Wikipedia Entry
Very good!

I'd like to imagine Daffy Duck having a "Black" voice in TL-191.

Also, maybe this post belongs in the "Pop Culture in TL-191" thread.

What are these two countries like in TL-191?
In my opinion, I view them as former colonies of Britain who want to avoid association with it because of connections with Mosleyian Ultranationalism and the Confederacy.

They cozy up with the United States so that they won't be an open target from the Japanese Empire. With a promise of treating the Aboriginals (and presumably Maori) with equal treatment under their own laws and to hunt down any members of the Confederate Freedom Party, the United States opens up diplomatic relationships with the two nations and sends a message to Japan that they are not to be meddled with.

The general history of Australia and New Zealand in TL-191 is, more or less, the same in OTL, but with a stronger emphasis on republicanism and their own national identity without modern British influence.

Last edited:
Here's another continued work I did about a Post-1944 Britain.
Source: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/photos-from-featherstons-confederacy-tl-191.185493/page-148#post-17623675

The United States had long disagreed with Germany over the break-up of the United Kingdom. Scotland may have enjoyed their independence, but both it and Wales were still economically dependent on the Mitteleuropäisch Union (M.E.U.). In Wales, there was a lot of nostalgia for the then-British Crown. Even in England, the English King still uses the title of "Prince of Wales". During the world-wide revolutions of 1989, the Americans supported calls for a plebiscite to occur and determine if they wanted to become Britons.
Germany hated the idea and it had to deal with other nation's increasing skepticism of belonging to the M.E.U.
That same year, Scotland and Wales voted to join the Kingdom of England and re-form the United Kingdom of Great Britain. Only Ireland refused to be part of the plebiscite.

Below are pictures of a time when Scotland and Wales were independent and the current flag of the U.K.

TL-191 Britain After 1989.jpg

The USS Missouri and the Union Navy in Tampa Bay on the day following the Confederate Surrender, circa 1944. Note the US Navy Aircraft are making a massive fly past as part of the celebrations.

Last edited:

The Devils Toadstool, an iconic photograph snapped in rural Pennsylvania of the ash cloud rising over West Philadelphia after the Confederates States superbomb attack on the US capital

An American version of the Black Shirts

Flag of the Silver Legion of America (Silvershirts)

Picture of a group of Silvershirts, ca. 1930's

Propaganda poster of a Silvershirt movie

wanted-poster-pelley1.jpg

Wanted poster for the founder of the Silvershirts after the USA and CSA went to war

The Black Shirts [incorrectly called "Silvershirts"] had an American version of the Ultranationalist British Union. This party argued for renewed diplomatic relations with Britain, France, Russia, and the Confederacy. The party and its founder were banned in 1941 when the Second Great War occurred.