Photos from Featherston's Confederacy/ TL-191

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Alternatehistoryguy47, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Spencer Pease Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t Houston rejoin Texas?

2. Allochronian Well-Known Member

I initially imagined it like that, but I decided to add some variety to this post-SGW world.

Some people on this thread imagine that the Second Texas Republic would definitely still be existing past the beginning of the 21st Century, but I tend to disagree. It's possible for the U.S. to reunite them, or they could differentiate them as a historical reminder of how Texas used to be a traitorous state.

Sort of like how West Virginia and Virginia are not unified in OTL.

Kol likes this.
  3. Nathan Bernacki Well-Known Member

Fidel Castro is farewelled during a funeral in the US state of Cuba. Castro was remembered for his participation in the anti-Freedom Party underground during the Second Great War as a teenager and for leading Cuba into US statehood as it's first Governor in 1960, making racial equality his main priority.

[​IMG]

4. Allochronian Well-Known Member

The circumstances of Castro's existence would more than likely have not occurred in TL-191. However, I am inclined to admit that there could still be enough plausibility for some genetic variant of him to be born in Cuba, if not necessarily accepting the idea that the same Castro with the same set of parents would still exist.

Nice one, Nathan Bernacki. I actually like this.

It's so anti-parallel, in terms of Castro being some kind of an American hero. :)

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ángel_Castro_y_Argiz

Alpha-King98760, Kol and weaverj like this.
  5. Allochronian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Governor of Cuba, Fidel Castro with his son, Fidel, Jr., 1960. Despite his young age, Castro was a staunch supporter of the United States government's Anti-Confederate policies and was able to be elected as the first American governor after Cuba was no longer under military occupation.

6. Allochronian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    A rare family photograph of three generations of the Imperial German Emperors, 1927 (from left to right: Crown Prince Wilhelm, Kaiser Wilhelm II, Prince Wilhelm of Prussia)

Notes: Prince Wilhelm, the Kaiser's grandson, was killed during the Battle of France in OTL. For TL-191, I will assume that, regardless if he served in the army during SGW or not, he lives. That being said, his continued existence means that he may have had more children and a male heir. So, George Friedrich may not have been born or become head of the House of Hohenzollern.

7. S. Marlowski Writer of an upcoming fantasy series

I wonder what firearms laws in TL-191 would be like?

because I am wanting to do a post about Firearms Collecting in TL-191

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Alpha-King98760 likes this.
  8. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Which side? US, CS or both?
    I imagine the US might have similar firearm laws to OTL Imperial Germany and the CS might have laws along the lines of OTL US pre-WWII.

9. RaspingLeech Active Member

Was organized crime ever a serious issue in the US as it was OTL? If not you could make a serious case for the NFA to not exist.

Germany I really doubt would have anything like the US when it comes to gun ownership (just like OTL), and the CS would probably be similar until Featherston takes over.

10. Nathan Bernacki Well-Known Member

Judging by how gun-ho the US was to get revenge in the Confederate States during the era of Remembrance, I wouldn't be surprised gun laws were lax enough to allow US citizens to protect their homes during a Confederate invasion (except for citizens living in Utah, of course)

I should point out that since the Confederate Constitution is basically a copy-and-paste of the US Constitution (with some changes, of course), the Confederate States inherited the Second Amendment. Of course, this would mean nothing during the era of the Freedom Party, which violated the Constitution whenever it so pleased, though the American Empire books made no mention of mass gun ownership in the Confederacy, so maybe gun ownership wasn't as widespread as it would be in the USA.

11. Sunstone77 Well-Known Member

I could see gun ownership in TL-191 USA being more regulated along Swiss lines (you can have guns at home but how you store them is strictly regulated, ammunition purchases require lots of paperwork, concealed carry permits issued vary rarely etc) as a means to instilling professionalism in gun owning citizens. After the GW2, said regulations could be used to strangle rebellion in the former CSA by controlling their ability to restock guns and ammunition. I could see gun laws in the south being incredibly strict by even real world standards

12. S. Marlowski Writer of an upcoming fantasy series

[​IMG]
    One of the most popular rifles in the United States is the AR-14 semi-automatic rifle, a civilian version of the M-15 assault rifle in semi-automatic mode only.
    [​IMG]
    A police overlooking some illegal guns seized from a Neo-Freedomite, circa 2016.
    [​IMG]
    A collection of various MilSurp rifles, seen here from top to bottom are two Turkish M38 Mausers, a No. 4 Mk I Lee Enfield, a Tredegar rifle, German Mauser Kar-98k, Swedish M/1896 Mauser, and a Springfield M1903 rifle.
    [​IMG]
    A colorized photo of weapons seized by the Freedom Party in Mobile, circa 1936. These weapons were mainly taken from blacks and as well as from those were deemed to be "dangerous" to society.

13. RaspingLeech Active Member

Having given it more thought, I think if prohibition still occurred there would be an equivalent to the NFA in the 1930s to combat organized crime. We see throughout the books that characters are able to get handguns so they were most likely left off the bill like in OTL. I don't see gun ownership being regulated any more than OTL, if anything it would be less so because of the existence of a home front you could see the rise in civilian defense militias and this idea that everyone should be able to defend themselves.

In terms of the Confederacy, I definitely think they'd leave guns alone since the vast majority of southerners wouldn't really own anything more than a shotgun or vermit rifle, both of which we see as well. After Featherston gains power I figure he'd just take the usual dictator route and crack down on them. Black Confederates probably wouldn't have been allowed to own firearms regardless, but it would absolutely be a death sentence now to even touch one.

14. Roosevelt Joe Cunningham-stan

[​IMG]
    U.S. Army Air Corps aircraft seen over Lower Manhattan flying southeast to intercept Confederate fighters detected flying over South Jersey (circa 1942).
    [​IMG]
    Colorized photo of an American soldier having a drink at the Battle of Pittsburgh.

15. S. Marlowski Writer of an upcoming fantasy series

I wonder what the status is on the collector's market for Freedomite Memorabilia?

16. Nathan Bernacki Well-Known Member

A clip of a battle scene from the Canadian war movie Ontario

Alpha-King98760 and S. Marlowski like this.
  17. S. Marlowski Writer of an upcoming fantasy series

[​IMG]
    Union Soldiers resting following a Firefight in Kentucky, circa 1943.

Danthefan28, cortz#9, Odinson and 5 others like this.