Photos from Featherston's Confederacy/ TL-191

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Alternatehistoryguy47, Feb 23, 2011.

1. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

What would be a good emblem to represent the Indian Territories?

2. Allochronian Well-Known Member

I think that an emblem for the Indian Territory is going to be something that is originally made in TL-191.

I found battle flags and emblems belonging to different tribes, but none that was considered a universal symbol for all of the indigenous groups in the CSA; not even for the Indian Territory when it was part of the USA.

Examples that I found:

[​IMG]
    Choctaw Battle Flag

[​IMG]
    Cherokee Battle Flag

Website that gives you all of the Seals of the Five Civilized Tribes: https://fivecivilizedtribes.cherokee.org/Five-Tribes

3. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

What if we created one? Maybe using a Tee Pee and or an eagle feather? Not something that would fly today but for the TL-191 CSA...

Alpha-King98760 likes this.
  4. Allochronian Well-Known Member

That would be cool to create something new.

I would use some of these OTL symbols as templates:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Allochronian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Painting of Emperor Maximilian on horseback
    Wanting to fit in with the people of Mexico, Maximilian adopted many customs of Mexican culture. One example was him wearing a sombrero and riding on a horseback, instead of in a carriage.

[​IMG]
    Emperor Maximilian talking to a group of Kickapoo, ca. 1865

Despite drawing the ire of the Conservatives who supported him from the beginning of his reign, Maximilian was sympathetic to the indigenous population of Mexico and of the CSA and USA. He was able to make some improvements to the quality of life of the indigenous peasants, but most still suffered from severe poverty and lack of political power. Despite the eventual Mexican Civil War that occurred between ca. 1920-1930, some Republican forces would admit that Maximilian's concerns and positive actions for the lower class of Mexican society were a redeeming quality that should be replicated in a constitutional republic.

[​IMG]
    Photograph of Empress Carlota on her death bed in Chapultepec Castle, ca. 1930's
    Carlota outlived her husband by many decades. She was several years away from being nearly a century old before she passed away. As a witness to so many events in the 19th and 20th Century, the Empress was concerned about the future of the empire. However, by the time she reached her last year, she had dementia and would often talk out loud as if her husband was present with her. Her death caused a lot of grief toward the Mexican people, who remembered her compassion for the common people.

6. Historyman 14 Well-Known Member

(This guy...)

[​IMG]

Edmund Ruffin, celebrated secessionist and one of the chief proponents for Southern nationalism, Emund Ruffin would become a Confederate Folk Hero for the claim of firing the first shot of the Battle of Fort Sumter, as well as the first to enter the fort after it had surrender. (The former a myth, but still widely believe by many in the public and not uncommon to find it in Confederate history books.)

Ruffin would tour the South, speaking of his 'military action' in the War of Secession, and continued to champion his advocate of states’ rights and slavery, as well as hostility towards the North and the 'Yankees'. (His hate of abolitionism being so strong, he made a special request of the Virginia Military Institute to allow him to join the ranks of cadets for one day to view the hanging of John Brown.)

Ruffin died following the end of slavery within the CSA and the Second Mexican War, his last daily entry speaking of the 'ruin of the Confederacy and what we have fought twice again for.'

Edmund Ruffin would be noted as a 'personal hero' to Jake Featherston, notable giving speeches in front of statues to the man.

Overshadow is known is his pioneering work in methods to preserve and improve soil productivity, called the 'father of soil science' in the United/Confederate States.

Zoidberg12 and Alpha-King98760 like this.
  7. pattontank12 Better Dead than Red!

20190708_180108.jpg

Union resistance fighter in Ohio during the Confederate invasion, wielding the Ingram model 41. Following the outbreak of Operation Blackbeard the United States found itself in need of an effective submachine guns. With the Thompson proving itself to costly and complicated to mass produce on a large scale to counter Confederate forces. Developed by young Gordon B. Ingram as a more cost effective successor to the Thompson Submachine Gun.

8. Allochronian Well-Known Member

I think it would make more sense for the Thompson to be a Confederate Gun in TL-191.
    See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_T._Thompson

The Ingram could be a competitor in the USA.

9. Binecessity Banned

I'm interested in this, but dontd really want to see pictures of Kwanza being turned into a black Tisha bav.

10. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

The books mention that CS troops were equipped with large numbers of SMG's and while the US IOTL made large numbers of Thompsons, I'm not so sure the CSA ITTL could achieve the same amount of production of such an overly designed weapon.
    I could see the CS make something closer to the M3.

I drew up this MP-40 inspired alternate M3 for the Featherston's Finest thread.

_M3-submachine-gun-45-caliber-andrew-chittock-.jpg

11. pattontank12 Better Dead than Red!

That looks both believable and awesome!!! I can search around on forgotten weapons for some other possible weapons, since I think the more obscure ones work better for alternative timelines.

Alpha-King98760 and cortz#9 like this.
  12. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

I agree and I also like to use parts from 2 or 3 obscure designs to make a new one.

13. Odinson Amateur stand-up comedian

In Drive to the East, Tom Colton mentions how the CSA has adopted a coal scuttle helmet. Does this mean it is an exact copy of the United States's?

Also, look, we're on page 191!

Historyman 14, cortz#9, m0585 and 3 others like this.
  14. RaspingLeech Active Member

I've always preferred the use of the M1 for CS helmets, even if it doesn't exactly fit the description. It's a good contrast to the US helmet design and would make sense that they wouldn't want an identical helmet design for identification purposes.

Odinson, cortz#9, m0585 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Captain Reynolds Amature Sci-fi Writer

I think it was mentioned in the books that the US was using helmets that were called "pot helmets"

16. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

I remember it the other way around.

17. Captain Reynolds Amature Sci-fi Writer

I will have to look through my books again to see, but I am pretty sure that it was mentioned that the US helmets were called Pot helmets, while the it is mentioned in Return Engagements by Tom Colleton that the CSA had adopted a similar helmet to what the USA used in the Great War.

cortz#9 likes this.
  18. Allochronian Well-Known Member

I always assumed that was what was intended, for the Confederates to resemble OTL WWII-U.S. soldiers and for the Americans to look almost like Wehrmacht soldiers.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  19. Allochronian Well-Known Member

Eighty Years of Rivalry
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TL-191 soldiers uscs.jpg

20. Nathan Bernacki Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

US children found cowering within a bomb shelter in their school in Pittsburgh by US soldiers after the conclusion of the battle. There were no teachers with them so it is presumed that either the children found the shelter themselves or there was a teacher, but they were killed during the beginnings of the battle.