Photos from Featherston's Confederacy/ TL-191

Some ideas regarding the US...
  1. Confederate, British and French culture became viewed has generally taboo, unpatriotic and even potentially treasonous. With the cultural vacuum being eventually being filled by German and Austro-hungarian culture. Think instead of books and movies about charlamange and Teutonic Knights instead of King Arthur in the US.
  2. Post Second Great War the crumbling Austro-hungary started encouraging immigration of the more troublesome nationalities within the Empire to the United States. Specifically into former Confederate territory with the US considering them more trustworthy than the "Rebs" and generally being considered collaborators by Southerners. This would eventually lead to some rather nasty ethnic conflicts in the 90's, when the US suffered a nasty break up similar to the USSR and Yugoslavia.
  3. "Yank" English slowly starts diverging heavily from traditional American English with the introduction of various German loan words.

Confederate, British and French culture became viewed has generally taboo, unpatriotic and even potentially treasonous. With the cultural vacuum being eventually being filled by German and Austro-hungarian culture. Think instead of books and movies about charlamange and Teutonic Knights instead of King Arthur in the US.

"Taboo", "unpatriotic", and "treasonous" might be an exaggerated choice of words. I'd imagine they just don't become as popular as in OTL until decades, if not at least a century, after the end of the Second Great War.

Anyway, there was an old thread on here that gave some ideas about how US culture and the rest of the world may be after 1945 in TL-191. I think it was called "TL-191 May Just Be Weirder Than We Think" or something like that. Someone mentioned an example of German literature about how, instead of the Lord of The Rings, The NeverEnding Story might become very famous... even though it would not be written until 1979...

I'd include German fairy tales, especially from the Brothers Grimm, that might become more popular and eventually "adultified".

Other examples: Der Struwwelpeter, The Nutcracker and the Mouse King, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:German_fairy_tales, etc. etc.

Post Second Great War the crumbling Austro-hungary started encouraging immigration of the more troublesome nationalities within the Empire to the United States. Specifically into former Confederate territory with the US considering them more trustworthy than the "Rebs" and generally being considered collaborators by Southerners.

I thought of a similar vein about the USA encouraging immigration, too, but mostly from Africa, Asia and, Latin America. However, I could also see some smaller European groups going there. Side note: I've been a fan of the "United States of Greater Austria" being made into an actual reality in TL-191.

"Yank" English slowly starts diverging heavily from traditional American English with the introduction of various German loan words.

We actually have some examples of this in the real world!

Doppelganger, Ubermensch, Schadenfreude, and more: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_terms_borrowed_from_German,

Last edited:
1314141-Albert_Einstein_et_Robert_Oppenheimer.jpg

A photograph of German physicist Albert Einstein and American physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer, both of whom were responsible for the creation of their respective country's superbombs. During their meeting, both mention how much they regretted inventing such destructive weapons, Ca. 1950

18cbt3zu2j0czjpg.jpg

A photograph of the mushroom cloud from the Mikado Bombo, a Japanese sunbomb and caused the most powerful explosion of any type of kernwaffe ever made to this day. Somewhere in Karafuto Island, 30 October 1961.

db067f8c52b8d288532059fc41575c24.jpg

The remains of Peterhof Palace after aerial bombardment, weeks before the Petrograd bombing occurred. Spring 1944.

Last edited:
I thought of a similar vein about the USA encouraging immigration, too, but mostly from Africa, Asia and, Latin America. However, I could also see some smaller European groups going there. Side note: I've been a fan of the "United States of Greater Austria" being made into an actual reality in TL-191.

That might be a bit optimistic....

Mainly I thought from Austro-Hungary and Germany because they'd probably be facing various troublesome nationalist groups in their territory and figured encouraging those same nationalities to move to the US would not help them but also aid the US by giving them some more warm bodies to help them hold down the South and Canada.

While Asia and Africa are mainly Japan and Germany's backyards at this point and I really don't see much immigration to the US simply for logistics if nothing else. Though I can see an influx of immigrants coming in from Mexico, through Sonora and Chichua.

We actually have some examples of this in the real world!

Doppelganger, Ubermensch, Schadenfreude, and more: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_terms_borrowed_from_German,

Funnily enough I could also see some loan words seeping in from Hungary and various other central European countries.

Though yeah US English will probably be more more heavily influenced by German than OTL.​

1. Confederate, British and French culture became viewed has generally taboo, unpatriotic and even potentially treasonous. With the cultural vacuum being eventually being filled by German and Austro-hungarian culture. Think instead of books and movies about charlamange and Teutonic Knights instead of King Arthur in the US.
  2. Post Second Great War the crumbling Austro-hungary started encouraging immigration of the more troublesome nationalities within the Empire to the United States. Specifically into former Confederate territory with the US considering them more trustworthy than the "Rebs" and generally being considered collaborators by Southerners. This would eventually lead to some rather nasty ethnic conflicts in the 90's, when the US suffered a nasty break up similar to the USSR and Yugoslavia.
  3. "Yank" English slowly starts diverging heavily from traditional American English with the introduction of various German loan words.
Perhaps it's possible that Arthurian legends are popular in the CSA. Because I can imagine Arthur and the myths around him being popular with the Freedom Party.

British_Mark_V_%28male%29_tank.jpg

The first picture ever taken of a Great War CSA barrel. This picture would be spread all over the Southern newspapers to raise moral and to act as propaganda.

Well, I read the part in The Victorious Opposition where Moss flies one, and the description sounded like an Me-109, but to each his own

Well, I read the part in The Victorious Opposition where Moss flies one, and the description sounded like an Me-109, but to each his own

The Shark's Mouth comment and the description of the armament layout was more in line with the P-40. Also, with the CSA having a Stuka and Panzer III and Panther tank analogues, it makes sense that they would have the Me-109.

Confederate National Flags
Previous flags contained seven, eleven, thirteen, and fourteen stars during the early years of the Confederacy. At its largest territorial extent, the Confederate flag had sixteen stars representing each state in the CSA.

810px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_(March_1861_–_May_1861).svg.png

Flag of the Confederate States of America (March 4, 1861 – May 21, 1861)

South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas secede from the United States and eventually form the Confederate States on February 8, 1861. Total: Seven stars

810px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_(May_1861_–_July_1861).svg.png

Flag of the Confederate States of America (May 21, 1861 – July 2, 1861)

Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee, and North Carolina join the Confederate States during this period.
Total: Nine stars

810px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_(July_1861_–_November_1861).svg.png

Flag of the Confederate States of America (July 2, 1861 – November 28, 1861)

Kentucky and Missouri are claimed by the Confederate States despite having little to no Confederate government control. Total: Eleven stars

810px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_(1861–1863).svg.png

Flag of the Confederate States of America (December 10, 1861 – May 28, 1878)

After winning the War of Secession, the Confederate States gain control of the Indian territory, later renamed Sequoyah, and Kentucky while letting Missouri remain with the United States.
Total: Thirteen stars

csa.gif

Flag of the Confederate States of America (May 28, 1878 – June 14, 1881)

Cuba is admitted to the Confederate States after the Ten Years' War between Cuba and Spain.

Total: Fourteen states

fic_hfrm7.gif

Flag of the Confederate States of America (June 14, 1881 September 9, 1917)

The Departments of Sonora and Chihuahua are purchased from the Second Empire of Mexico and admitted in the Confederate States. Total: Sixteen states

csa.gif

Flag of the Confederate States of America (September 9, 1917March 4, 1934)

After losing in the Great War, Kentucky and Sequoyah are ceded to the United States.
Total: Fourteen stars

small CSA.16.Star.Southern.Cross-Flag.jpg

Flag of the Confederate States of America (March 4, 1934 – July 17, 1944)

When the Confederate Freedom Party gains power and Jacob Featherston becomes President of the Confederate States, the National Confederate flag is changed to that of a reverse-color Confederate Battle flag with sixteen stars, signifying all Confederate states that Featherston argued belonged to him.

https://fotw.info/flags/fic_hfrm.html
http://csapedia.wikia.com/wiki/FLAGS_OF_THE_CSA_AND_THE_STATES
https://texaspolitics.utexas.edu/educational-resources/images-flags-flown-over-texas

Last edited:
Cherokee_Confederates_Reunion.gif

Photograph of Cherokee Confederate Freedom Party members in Sequoyah, ca. 1930's.

Despite Featherston's genocidal hatred toward Black Confederates and his belief in the racial superiority of the White Race, he had a respectable viewpoint toward the natives in Sequoyah and the Hispanic populations of Sonora, Chihuahua, and Cuba. He considered them to be more trustworthy and loyal to the Confederacy than Blacks ever would have.

When his book Over Open Sights was first published, he encouraged an official translation to be done in Spanish and in the languages of the Five Civilized Tribes, the latter which was done unofficially and copies were smuggled into U.S.-controlled Sequoyah.

Last edited:
Here are some TL-191 versions of the remaining mission intros from the Russian and Pacific Campaign of COD: WaW

"American Campaign"

The first one I've already done here.

Their Land is Our Land
"The U.S. army's advance into the Confederacy is swift and brutal. In mere months, we have reached Fredericksburg, the last line of defense before the Confederate capital. We outnumber the Confederates 10 to 1. Wave upon wave upon of our infantry are unleashed to clear the way for our army. Once we have control of Fredericksburg, we will begin the march to Richmond. Then, we will ensure that every sacrifice is repaid in blood."

Blood and More Blood
"We have lost many brave men, but their sacrifice is not in vain. Our barrels now form a line of steel so powerful that all Confederate resistance will be crushed beneath its mighty treads. Today, we will watch as Fredericksburg falls along with all those foolish enough to stand in our way."

Circle of Steel
"With the line of Fredericksburg now broken, nothing stands between the U.S. army and Richmond. Everyday, we carve deeper into Confederate territory. Everyday, fear and desperation erode their will. When our train reaches Richmond, they will have nowhere else to hide."

Extermination
"Our grip tightens around the grey heart of Richmond. The Snake demands all to shed their last drop of blood in its defense. The old, the young, the weak. If they stand for the Confederacy, they die for the Confederacy. Building by building, room by room, one snake at a time."

Heart of Dixie
"The U.S. army encircles the Confederate Capitol-their congressional building and final stronghold of Featherston's Confederacy. In the surrounding streets, we choke the life from those who would still dare to defend it. It is an honor and a privilege to play a part in this glorious battle. When our flag flies over the city, our enemy's defeat and humiliation will be beyond question. Our vengeance will be complete..."

Collapse
"The path towards our glorious victory has been a journey of blood and brutality. All of it has been necessary. When the flag of the United States flies atop the Confederate Capitol... All of Richmond will know that the evil of Featherston's Confederacy has been wiped from the face of the earth."

"Caribbean Campaign"

"The Bahamas - little more than sand, trees and a small Confederate Military base. Miller's reconnaissance team landed there almost a week ago. Since then - we've heard nothing. The waiting's over, we're going in. For all we know they're already dead. If what little we know about what the Confederates are doing to the Colored folk, it better not be true. "

"Years after the raid on the Bahamas, we're heading up an all-out assault on Confederate-occupied Haiti... No POW's to rescue this time... Our mission: take the airfield and find proof of their atrocities. Alongside familiar faces, fresh faced recruits. The older guys like Miller, Sergeant Sullivan and myself, we're known as "The old breed". "Old"... we're not even out of our twenties."

"We're all numbed by all those dead Colored bodies. We just never knew anyone could be capable of doing that; I still can't believe it. Most of its population, in a blink of an eye, gone. Now it's down to me and me alone, to lead these men, my brothers, safely through this campaign. AA fire from Port-au-Prince airfield is knocking our planes right out of the sky. Taking this airfield is our only priority. Whatever the cost."

"Though we've taken the airfield, the enemy still holds onto most of the inland areas of the island. A maze of trenches and artillery positions run right through this whole Godforsaken rock. The enemy's dug in deep and we have to get our hands dirty. Flamethrowers. We'll burn 'em out.
"

"Getting this far has been tougher than any of us could ever have imagined. Taking the airfield and the mortar pits showed us that the enemy will fight to the death for every last inch of this rock. They're making their last stand in the jungles and caves that surround the heavy guns on the point. We take them... and we take back Haiti."

"The Battle of Port-au-Prince finally came to an end in November of 1943. Three bitter months after it was supposed to. When we shipped out for Cuba, the airfield became a vital asset in the campaign. Among those stationed there are the crews of the US Navy Black Panthers. Men who would risk everything before they would leave any of us in enemy waters."

"Status report? The last few months on Cuba have taken their toll... Morale is low. It's the rain, sir... and the mud. Barrels are getting bogged down. Supplies aren't getting through. We can't even get the wounded out. Yes, sir... Understood... "

"Everything that was asked of us - we've done. Every night we lay in a filthy foxhole - prayin' the enemy won't slit our throats. Every day we spent crawling through the mud and the dirt while bullets whistled all around. But this is the last time we're gonna have to put our lives on the line. This is the enemy's last stand. When we take Habana, we go home. All of us."

Last edited:
Here are some TL-191 versions of the remaining mission intros from the Russian Campaign of COD: WaW

"American Campaign"

The first one I've already done here.

Their Land is Our Land

"The U.S. army's advance into the Confederacy is swift and brutal. In mere months, we have reached Fredericksburg, the last line of defense before the Confederate capital. We outnumber the Confederates 30 to 1. Wave upon wave upon of our infantry are unleashed to clear the way for our army. Once we have control of Fredericksburg, we will begin the march to Richmond. Then, we will ensure that every sacrifice is repaid in blood."

Blood and More Blood
"We have lost many brave men, but their sacrifice is not in vain. Our barrels now form a line of steel so powerful that all Confederate resistance will be crushed beneath its mighty treads. Today, we will watch as Fredericksburg falls along with all those foolish enough to stand in our way."

Ring of Steel
"With the line of Fredericksburg now broken, nothing stands between the U.S. army and Richmond. Everyday, we carve deeper into Confederate territory. Everyday, fear and desperation erode their will. When our train reaches Richmond, they will have nowhere else to hide."

Extermination
"Our grip tightens around the grey heart of Richmond. The Snake demands all to shed their last drop of blood in its defense. The old, the young, the weak. If they stand for the Confederacy, they die for the Confederacy. Building by building, room by room, one snake at a time."

Heart of Dixie
"The U.S. army encircles the Confederate Capitol-their congressional building and final stronghold of Featherston's Confederacy. In the surrounding streets, we choke the life from those who would still dare to defend it. It is an honor and a privilege to play a part in this glorious battle. When our flag flies over the city, our enemy's defeat and humiliation will be beyond question. Our vengeance will be complete..."

Collapse
"The path towards our glorious victory has been a journey of blood and brutality. All of it has been necessary. When the flag of the United States flies atop the Confederate Capitol... All of Richmond will know that the evil of Featherston's Confederacy has been wiped from the face of the earth."

"Caribbean Campaign"

"The Bahamas - little more than sand, trees and a small Confederate Military base. Miller's reconnaissance team landed there almost a week ago. Since then - we've heard nothing. The waiting's over, we're going in. For all we know they're already dead. If what little we know about what the Confederates are doing to the Colored folk, it better not be true. "

"Years after the raid on the Bahamas, we're heading up an all-out assault on Confederate-occupied Haiti... No POW's to rescue this time... Our mission: take the airfield and find proof of their atrocities. Alongside familiar faces, fresh faced recruits. The older guys like Miller, Sergeant Sullivan and myself, we're known as "The old breed". "Old"... we're not even out of our twenties."

"We're all numbed by all those dead Colored bodies. We just never knew anyone could be capable of doing that; I still can't believe it. Most of its population, in a blink of an eye, gone. Now it's down to me and me alone, to lead these men, my brothers, safely through this campaign. AA fire from Port-au-Prince airfield is knocking our planes right out of the sky. Taking this airfield is our only priority. Whatever the cost."

"Though we've taken the airfield, the enemy still holds onto most of the inland areas of the island. A maze of trenches and artillery positions run right through this whole Godforsaken rock. The enemy's dug in deep and we have to get our hands dirty. Flamethrowers. We'll burn 'em out."

"Getting this far has been tougher than any of us could ever have imagined. Taking the airfield and the mortar pits showed us that the enemy will fight to the death for every last inch of this rock. They're making their last stand in the jungles and caves that surround the heavy guns on the point. We take them... and we take back Haiti."

"The Battle of Port-au-Prince finally came to an end in November of 1943. Three bitter months after it was supposed to. When we shipped out for Cuba, the airfield became a vital asset in the campaign. Among those stationed there are the crews of the US Navy Black Panthers. Men who would risk everything before they would leave any of us in enemy waters."

"Status report? The last few months on Cuba have taken their toll... Morale is low. It's the rain, sir... and the mud. Barrels are getting bogged down. Supplies aren't getting through. We can't even get the wounded out. Yes, sir... Understood... "

"Everything that was asked of us - we've done. Every night we lay in a filthy foxhole - prayin' the enemy won't slit our throats. Every day we spent crawling through the mud and the dirt while bullets whistled all around. But this is the last time we're gonna have to put our lives on the line. This is the enemy's last stand. When we take Habana, we go home. All of us."

Not bad, Although I imagined the "American Campaign" Equivalent would be through the POV of German soldier fighting the British in Africa or something like that. But this is also very good. I always seemed to overlook the Caribbean front.

Not bad, Although I imagined the "American Campaign" Equivalent would be through the POV of German soldier fighting the British in Africa or something like that. But this is also very good. I always seemed to overlook the Caribbean front.

Sadly, there really aren't a lot, if any, videos of (Non-Nazi) German soldiers from games or movies that I can use in a plausible TL-191 setting. It'd be better if someone creates an original animation or some fan-funded independent movie.