Photos from Alternate Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
The New State said:
Well, I figure if we are to go to war in the future, we'll be forced to privatize the occupation in Iraq, handing the job over to private consortiums of manufacturers, oil comanies, and construction companies willing to foot the security bill in exchange for cheap labor and rights to the resources. The freed up troops would be used to similar incursions into other problem countries, with a similar answer to the problem of an over-extended fighting force: privatization.

edit: I think the future will see a decrease in the importance of the nation-state and a rise in the power of private fighting forces - more agile and capable of long term occupation and population management than a national fighting force, though I don't see national armies disappearing at all - just the opposite, actually. With the prospect of occupation becoming less of a concern, military expeditions will become much more lucrative.

Hmm. you would have to have a VERY large privately-funded army to occupy an entire country like Iraq. The US sent a substantial portion of its land forces, and it turns out that there weren't enough of them. Iran would take even more troops.

It would probably require fewer private warriors than National Troops, simply because economically unimportant zones would recieve less attention, and a large portion of the security force could be relatively well paid Iraqis.

The New State said:
It would probably require fewer private warriors than National Troops, simply because economically unimportant zones would recieve less attention, and a large portion of the security force could be relatively well paid Iraqis.
For your first point, the insurgents against the "Imperialist Americans" will simply go to the "unimportant zones" to launch attacks, so you have to move more troops there...
On the second, look how using native Iraqis has gone OTL.

Image5.png

Stamp from Nova Roma, a breakoff Republic formed in 558 AD against Imperial Rome's repressive taxes. weeee

Image3a.png

Flag flown by CentCom Units operating in Mesopotamia, circa 2015

Hitler poses in front of Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament following the success of Operation Sealion. The Fuhrer's reputation as a military genius was firmly established after he insisted on the invasion of Britain, despite the concerns of the OKW.

BigBen.jpg

Here's a challenge: a usurper to the Evergreen Throne rolling into the on a tank followed by a bunch of other tanks, APCs, and infantry into the coronation hall of the Evergreen Palace as the coronation of the rightful heir, some do-gooding teenage princess, is taking place...

(He's me, and he's ultimately succesful.)

The plans for the first Soviet space Battlecrusier, the October.
SovietSpaceShip.png

*note I do not know any Russian, i just used worldlingo to translate*

DarkSlavik said:
The plans for the first Soviet space Battlecrusier, the October.
SovietSpaceShip.png

*note I do not know any Russian, i just used worldlingo to translate*

How many crewmen does it take to operate that thing?

luakel said:
If a nuclear bomb goes of in Israel, and it's likely that it was supplied by Iran, Ithen the US won't even have to do anything about Iran. I think we both know how Israel would react to a nuclear attack.

Given the size of Israel, I think the answer may well be "collapse".

Status
Not open for further replies.