BF52F415-76FB-464E-A638-03C919E06C5E.jpeg

The mysterious Cyfarwyddr of the revolutionary government’s Cynghrair Amddiffyn Genedlaethol

The mysterious Cyfarwyddr of the revolutionary government’s Cynghrair Amddiffyn Genedlaethol

The what?

It's Welsh, for the benefit of folk who don't recognise the language :D There's also a spelling mistake though, you called him "Cyfarwyddr", which means "Direction", I reckon you meant "Cyfarwyddwr" which means "Director". The other bit means "National Defence League".

The pronunciation guess isn't bad either, but it's more like "Ku-va-roo-ith-oo-er". 'f' = English 'v', 'ff' = English 'f', 'dd' = 'th' as in 'the', 'this', 'w' = English 'oo'. But what you make of that depends a lot on which dialect of English you speak, as English spelling is horribly unphonetic, especially for vowels and for 'r's that are actually rolled. In proper IPA it's /kəvaˈrʊɨ̯ðʊr/.

443miQ2.jpg

One of the new generation of große kreuzers, cutting through on the Neukrug measured mile. With their high speed they were dubbed 'Windhund' and these 'Atlantik' kreuzers reflect Tirpitz's new blue water policy, placing speed and endurance over guns and armour. Keen interest is being shown in her new power plant before she goes on her world cruise, a global tour-de-force in the latest of Germany's marine engineering.

The new BC are much smaller than their Derfflinger and Zieten class predecessors. The 'Atlantik' cruisers were designed to break away from the dependency on Parsons Turbines within the German Fleet and to encourage industry to develop new forms of marine propulsion. The first pair, ordered in 1916 and 17 are Diesel cruise and Turbine sprint while the second pair are combined Diesel and Turbo-Electric (TE). Germany being the largest manufacturer of electrical equipment in the world, Tirpitz had paid close attention to the USN experiment with TE Drive. He envisaged the new generation fast capital ships of the 1920's to be economical to run with TE plants. The large diesels had proved their value with the Battleship Sachsen and were reliable for cruising purposes. These ships are also very un-German, capable of in excess of 30 knots, they have battleship caliber guns but minimal armour.

It's Welsh, for the benefit of folk who don't recognise the language
_45162744_-2.jpg

When officials asked for the Welsh translation of a road sign, they thought the reply was what they needed.

Unfortunately, the e-mail response to Swansea council said in Welsh: "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".

So that was what went up under the English version which barred lorries from a road near a supermarket.

"When they're proofing signs, they should really use someone who speaks Welsh," said journalist Dylan Iorwerth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7702913.stm

It's Welsh, for the benefit of folk who don't recognise the language :D There's also a spelling mistake though, you called him "Cyfarwyddr", which means "Direction", I reckon you meant "Cyfarwyddwr" which means "Director". The other bit means "National Defence League".

The pronunciation guess isn't bad either, but it's more like "Ku-va-roo-ith-oo-er". 'f' = English 'v', 'ff' = English 'f', 'dd' = 'th' as in 'the', 'this', 'w' = English 'oo'. But what you make of that depends a lot on which dialect of English you speak, as English spelling is horribly unphonetic, especially for vowels and for 'r's that are actually rolled. In proper IPA it's /kəvaˈrʊɨ̯ðʊr/.

That is what I meant!
15 years on from GCSE Welsh at a secondary school in North Wales and Google Translate...

In one of the "Dark is rising" books one of the characters after getting a lesson about Welsh, she commented "Welsh babies must slobber a lot".

Thank you.

I respect all cultures and languages, but I just need to lodge this modest question towards Welsh: WHAT THE FUCK!?
Welsh is quite sensible and laid-back in the grand scheme of things. It's mainly phonetic (i.e. each letter or combination is only normally pronounced one way, unlike English), just the exact sound values vary compared to English.

As far as Latin script goes, Irish spelling plays far more fast and loose with it than Welsh does. But the absolute worst globally IMHO is Tibetan. Tibetan script supposedly still writes actual sounds, but each word has so many dead letters still included in official spellings that it'll make your head spin. I have no idea how anyone ever learns to read it. Go on YouTube, look up the NativLang channel, and watch his video on Tibetan :tiredface: (The script, that is, not his work!)

I respect all cultures and languages, but I just need to lodge this modest question towards Welsh: WHAT THE FUCK!?

Maybe this is because I see it every day but Welsh doesn’t seem that much out of the ordinary to me - at least written down. It uses most of the same letters as English. This is definitely because of where I live but I can’t imagine speaking English even without some of the Welsh combined letters - how would one say ‘Llangollen’ or ‘Llantrisant’ without Ll?

SC01605b.jpg

Through a series of very confusing events, the Ku Klax Klan and Katipunan have announced an alliance between their two organizations. All signs however are pointing to this unexpected "friendship" to be brief and temporary, as inherent differences (both racial and political) between the Southern and Filipino nationalists threaten to send the whole arrangement going down in flames at any given moment. The only thing uniting them in common cause would be their shared hatred of the United States government.

Deleted member 82792

Through a series of very confusing events, the Ku Klax Klan and Katipunan have announced an alliance between their two organizations. All signs however are pointing to this unexpected "friendship" to be brief and temporary, as inherent differences (both racial and political) between the Southern and Filipino nationalists threaten to send the whole arrangement going down in flames at any given moment. The only thing uniting them in common cause would be their shared hatred of the United States government.
WTF?

Three French-Canadian loggers moving logs through the Chutes Saint-Antoine on the opposite shore from the large, predominantly French-Canadian, city of the same name.
Chutes Saint-Antoine, grew naturally rapidly due to its valuable location as the northern most point on the Mississippi river naturally navigable by steamboat; its direct access to a natural source of power for mills along the falls; and its location as a meeting point for the logging industry up north to move their bounties down the southerly flowing Mississippi river and its tributaries.
StAnthonyFalls.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a second version of the photo above where I replaced the OTL Winslow House luxury hotel with a Canada Pacific Railroad Hotel in a similar design to one of OTL's Canadian Grand Railway Hotels.
Since Chutes Saint-Antoine was such a successful city it was able to receive one of these prestigious institutions from the Canada Pacific Railroad who had a larger presence in this city than in OTL.
StAnthonyFalls3.jpg