Philippines WI: Ramon Magsaysay survives, serves two terms?

It seems that Ramon Magsaysay was one of the better presidents of the Philippines during the 20th century, but his administration was tragically cut short when he died in a plane crash in March 1957, months away from the end of his term. So WI the crash didn't happen? I assume he'd run for reelection in November and easily win the race.

What would be the effects of Magsaysay serving as president until 1961 in things such as the economy and agrarian reform? Who would succeed him? My money's on vice president Carlos P. Garcia, but I barely know anything about mid 20th century Philippine politics. Would Ferdinand Marcos' rise be hopefully butterflied away?

I think it certainly butterflies Marcos away.

One thing about Magsaysay is that he was a populist land reformer who nevertheless was tight with the US (which in practical terms meant he was not on Langley’s shit list). Land reform and a pole position in SEATO probably sets the Philippines up to be economically ahead of where they are now with no Marcos. There are still structural limits that probably prevent them from being a full Asian Tiger, though

One thing about Magsaysay is that he was a populist land reformer who nevertheless was tight with the US (which in practical terms meant he was not on Langley’s shit list). Land reform and a pole position in SEATO probably sets the Philippines up to be economically ahead of where they are now with no Marcos. There are still structural limits that probably prevent them from being a full Asian Tiger, though
Well that's good to hear. Maybe the five to ten billion dollars the Marcos couple plundered from the treasury during their dictatorship could be used to build infrastructure instead of buying thousands pairs of shoes, art and who knows how many jewels.

Driftless

Donor
Would avoiding systemic corruption put the country on a better economic growth trajectory? I'm assuming that it would.

Would avoiding systemic corruption put the country on a better economic growth trajectory? I'm assuming that it would.
So do I.

Would there still be a communist insurgency, or could they perhaps be nipped in the bud in 1969? That way a potential dictator like Marcos won't have the excuse to impose martial law.

So do I.

Would there still be a communist insurgency, or could they perhaps be nipped in the bud in 1969? That way a potential dictator like Marcos won't have the excuse to impose martial law.

Depends. A lot of Asian communist insurgencies were radicalized land reformers. A Magsaysay Presidency that successfully de fangs this issue probably tames that a bit

Depends. A lot of Asian communist insurgencies were radicalized land reformers. A Magsaysay Presidency that successfully de fangs this issue probably tames that a bit
Do you know how he could do that? Did the guys who came up later, Garcia and Macapagal, screw something up in that front?

Do you know how he could do that? Did the guys who came up later, Garcia and Macapagal, screw something up in that front?

No idea! I just know that that was a big part of his focus, but as a nationalist rather than as a spooky communist, which is why he had Langley’s blessing rather than ire

It seems that Ramon Magsaysay was one of the better presidents of the Philippines during the 20th century, but his administration was tragically cut short when he died in a plane crash in March 1957, months away from the end of his term. So WI the crash didn't happen? I assume he'd run for reelection in November and easily win the race.

What would be the effects of Magsaysay serving as president until 1961 in things such as the economy and agrarian reform? Who would succeed him? My money's on vice president Carlos P. Garcia, but I barely know anything about mid 20th century Philippine politics. Would Ferdinand Marcos' rise be hopefully butterflied away?
for the economy, a bit, all of the economic success from his term is from Quirino's pro filipino policies and his massive industrialization program that he continued. Land reform Yes, well that is one of his innitiatives, I'm really sure successful. Well face a hard opponent at the election because the LP has advocated for a peaceful solution with the commie threath, Well he seems like an american puppet to the LP that is the reason. With a savvy Magsaysay image I assumme a marcos figure would still come up becayse of Magsaysay being a veteran and simmilarities to their image

Last edited:
There are some previous threads regarding Magsaysay's survival on this forum:

Marcos is an ambitious guy. He once boasted that "he'll be the first President from the Ilocos Region in 2 decades". He'll be gunning for the Presidency at some point

Anyway, Magsaysay is assured of the second term, but what he does during that time is going to be interesting. His reforms will eventually be at odds with the landowner elite who want to retain political power. The 60s & 70s is going to be interesting to see.

Marcos is an ambitious guy. He once boasted that "he'll be the first President from the Ilocos Region in 2 decades". He'll be gunning for the Presidency at some point

Anyway, Magsaysay is assured of the second term, but what he does during that time is going to be interesting. His reforms will eventually be at odds with the landowner elite who want to retain political power. The 60s & 70s is going to be interesting to see.

Yeah, I certainly don’t subscribe to the idea that Magsaysay surviving is some magical wand that fixes some of PI’s structural issues, but I certainly think Magsaysay’s honesty and populist nationalism fused with his pro-American slant probably positions the Nacionalista Party well, especially with an elder statesman like Magsaysay around to keep things a little less corrupt

I have a question,

Why do people think that a longer Magsaysay regime would make the PI to be a better country. Of all the Presidents the Philippine islands they have they seem to think that Magsaysay's reign is the golden age? ofc except the Marcos loyalists. That really makes me think

So @Namayan made a very interesting post in the Philippine politics thread regarding the Magsaysay and Garcia administrations, which I'll quote here:
Life and culture was different back then.

Quirino and Magsaysay presidencies had the benefit of an excellent bureaucracy. U.S. trained and experienced U.S. management.

With regards to CIA influence, it is not really a weakness. Back then there was less financial mismanagement. Both president could fight a foreign war, while financing the military with new equipment, while fighting a local war, while growing the economy. There was even a mass housing program back then. Education budget was like around 30%. That is equivalent to budgeting 1.6T in todays 5T budget vs 758B today.

The efficiency of Quirino and Magsaysay, had you given them the budget of Marcos military, there would be no NPA, and the AFP would have destroyers, cruisers, larger air force, MBTs with that kind of money.

What Magsaysay made mistake of are policies that have lasting effect that I will point out later. We were a rail centric country. Cagayan rail expansion was ongoing during Magsaysay's term. Even the nuclear power plant was about to start. During the time of Quirino and Magsaysay there were Tax exemptions on industries. Hence, why industries, heavy industries popped up during that time and had higher productivity.

Policy shifted by Garcia. Garcia lacked the political clout. When he was accused of corruption in Cagayan rail, he stopped it. He stopped a lot of projects like dams that a living Magsaysay could have pushed to continue. There is even a Marikina hydro power plant planned back then.

He also did not have the same political influence as Magsaysay to start up and make the Nuclear power run . Garcia also supported too much tariffs that would have helped imported the necessary materials for industrialization. Need to produce cheaper steel, import coal and iron and make them cheaper. Garcia placed too much tariffs or at least the Congress during Garcias time.

By Macapagal's time, Philippines has shifted to a car centric society and policies were harder to change like tariffs, etc. Rails projects were replaced by his Pan Philippine highway which Marcos claimed as his. Upto know its being claimed by his online propaganda posters as his Maharlika highways.

With regards to corruption, the policy that could not be seen is Magsaysay's policy or the Congress during his time which made Bank accounts too private that even government cannot look at it for corruption. This same timer period Singapore did the opposite by letting corruption agency investigate bank accounts. Although corruption is not yet as rampant as Marcos era, it sets a policy wherein politicians can hide thru their bank accounts because you cannot look at it.

With regards to Vietnam, I believe the policy was even not enough. Marcos did not fully participate while Macapagal wanted to. Why would this be better? South Korea poured in a lot of soldiers which then these South Korean soldiers earned dollars. Dollars that could have gone to the Philippine economy. Sure, there would be protesters. But there would be a lot Filipino families(assuming the same number of soldiers as Korea around 50,000 per annum or 300,000 soldiers total) which will earn dollars and more than the salaries of workers in the Philippines. The dollars poured in will help on the financial problems of the country in the 1960s. I mean Philippines went for OFWs in a decade later which literally did the same thing, labor for dollars. But this required Macapagal or another irredentist candidate winning or similar thought process as Quirino.

With regards to NPA, that is the fault really of letting remnants Huks going around still. But what triggered this is the 1965 election which empowered former Huks to be armed by government officials. Marcos armed one part of the Huks to win central Luzon vote in 1965. Macapagal in response armed a faction the Huks at his side. Although this would not help on the leftist protesters , giving Huks arms which became one of the founders and members of NPA made it easier to have an armed group.

It did not help that education went backwards. From 30%+ of the national budget down to 8% in the last years of Marcos. I suppose that is why Boomers, Great generation and Silent generation are better educated than the Gen X in the Philippines. This recovered post 1986 when education became a priority so your batch probably benefitted from this.
Considering the points made in this post, is it possible the Philippines could have more infrastructure ITTL, particularly when it comes to rail transport? Would the Filipino First policy still happen? Assuming the answer is no, how would the Philippine economy be affected?

So @Namayan made a very interesting post in the Philippine politics thread regarding the Magsaysay and Garcia administrations, which I'll quote here:

Considering the points made in this post, is it possible the Philippines could have more infrastructure ITTL, particularly when it comes to rail transport? Would the Filipino First policy still happen? Assuming the answer is no, how would the Philippine economy be affected?
I think Magsaysay's projects would have gone ahead. There would be more railroads throughout Luzon. The Filipino First Policy will definitely happen, but I can't say much how it will change the economy for I am unfamiliar on that aspect.

I think Magsaysay's projects would have gone ahead. There would be more railroads throughout Luzon. The Filipino First Policy will definitely happen, but I can't say much how it will change the economy for I am unfamiliar on that aspect.

Filipino First Policy is not wrong per se. It simply recommends Filipino citizens for business first and foremost.

What discouraged investments are the policies like tariffs. Before Garcia, the new and necessary industries act was in place which gave industries tax exemptions. That law was changed with a combination of Garcias tax and tariffs discouraged foreigner owners to expand industry or invest. There also wont be devaluation of the peso keeping it pegged to dollar. US wont do much as long as the foreign policies are very pro active in favor US similiar to Magsaysay. US has a history of letting local policies be as long as foreign policy is aligned.

Garcia also lacked the influence Magsaysay. That could get away with better deals with US and World Bank loans, loans which in OTL President Garcia could not get since he could not managed financially as Quirino or Magsaysay.

e.g. Iligan steel mills needed money to expand which Magsaysay can easily finance thru fiscal management or loans. During Garcias time it was stagnant. Could get only loans during Macapagal and was force to sell to a private ownership to get loans.

This would push steel production earlier. So by the time assuming Korean POSCO becomes alive in 1968, iligan steel mills could produce 500k tons of steel at least per annum.

All this moot if Macapagal or Marcos wins the presidency in ATL. Macapagal selling off government owned corporations, cancelling rail projects puttng highways while a Marcos presidency will be bad financially and bureaucratic culture and political tradition.

Let us say Magsaysay and US gets Magsaysay ally like Manuel Manahan elected in 1961.

The policies would be the same as Magsaysay. free market enterprise mixed with government owned corporations. At this point government owned corporations are rail, steel, shipbuilding,cement, etc. Which differs from OTL south Korea of chaebols.

Land reform and more irrigation (which was Magsaysay doing before his death)would chop more lands to 5 to 12 hectares resulting into better lives for poor rural populace but bad for market prices, consumers and production due to lack of scale. There would also better social net like housing. This would result also into less attraction to Communist revival like OTL NPA in 1969.

Foreign policy most likely will send a large amount of troops to Vietnam or wherever US needs allied contribution like in Laos. A Magsaysay and Manahan presidency could effect Permesta rebellion, Konfrontasi and West Papua though,

If the soviets starts arming Indonesia like OTL Magsaysay/Manahan would probably enlarge the navy more to counter the perceive threat.

This could also effect ASEAN and its formation in 1967. Or even the formation of Malaysia. Giving a very small chance with an independent Sabah and Sarawak with a more nosy Philippines.

Regional offices of American companies that were once based in Manila that will move to Singapore in OTL will stay in the Philippines. E.g. IBM

Philippines under Magsaysay leadership wont be haven for foreign investments like the semiconductor factories that will be invested in Hong Kong and Taiwan in early 1960s. But Philippine economy would be ahead of South Korean in heavy industries by 1969 and US will most likely buy goods to supply Vietnam war or any regional war from Philippines under Magsaysay or Manahan than South Korea led by Park Chung Hee.

Filipino First Policy is not wrong per se. It simply recommends Filipino citizens for business first and foremost.

What discouraged investments are the policies like tariffs. Before Garcia, the new and necessary industries act was in place which gave industries tax exemptions. That law was changed with a combination of Garcias tax and tariffs discouraged foreigner owners to expand industry or invest. There also wont be devaluation of the peso keeping it pegged to dollar. US wont do much as long as the foreign policies are very pro active in favor US similiar to Magsaysay. US has a history of letting local policies be as long as foreign policy is aligned.

Garcia also lacked the influence Magsaysay. That could get away with better deals with US and World Bank loans, loans which in OTL President Garcia could not get since he could not managed financially as Quirino or Magsaysay.

e.g. Iligan steel mills needed money to expand which Magsaysay can easily finance thru fiscal management or loans. During Garcias time it was stagnant. Could get only loans during Macapagal and was force to sell to a private ownership to get loans.

This would push steel production earlier. So by the time assuming Korean POSCO becomes alive in 1968, iligan steel mills could produce 500k tons of steel at least per annum.

All this moot if Macapagal or Marcos wins the presidency in ATL. Macapagal selling off government owned corporations, cancelling rail projects puttng highways while a Marcos presidency will be bad financially and bureaucratic culture and political tradition.

Let us say Magsaysay and US gets Magsaysay ally like Manuel Manahan elected in 1961.

The policies would be the same as Magsaysay. free market enterprise mixed with government owned corporations. At this point government owned corporations are rail, steel, shipbuilding,cement, etc. Which differs from OTL south Korea of chaebols.

Land reform and more irrigation (which was Magsaysay doing before his death)would chop more lands to 5 to 12 hectares resulting into better lives for poor rural populace but bad for market prices, consumers and production due to lack of scale. There would also better social net like housing. This would result also into less attraction to Communist revival like OTL NPA in 1969.

Foreign policy most likely will send a large amount of troops to Vietnam or wherever US needs allied contribution like in Laos. A Magsaysay and Manahan presidency could effect Permesta rebellion, Konfrontasi and West Papua though,

If the soviets starts arming Indonesia like OTL Magsaysay/Manahan would probably enlarge the navy more to counter the perceive threat.

This could also effect ASEAN and its formation in 1967. Or even the formation of Malaysia. Giving a very small chance with an independent Sabah and Sarawak with a more nosy Philippines.

Regional offices of American companies that were once based in Manila that will move to Singapore in OTL will stay in the Philippines. E.g. IBM

Philippines under Magsaysay leadership wont be haven for foreign investments like the semiconductor factories that will be invested in Hong Kong and Taiwan in early 1960s. But Philippine economy would be ahead of South Korean in heavy industries by 1969 and US will most likely buy goods to supply Vietnam war or any regional war from Philippines under Magsaysay or Manahan than South Korea led by Park Chung Hee.
So there's a chance the Philippines could steal some of South Korea's thunder ITTL? After all, heavy industry was one of the main ways said country launched its economy to its present heights.

So there's a chance the Philippines could steal some of South Korea's thunder ITTL? After all, heavy industry was one of the main ways said country launched its economy to its present heights.
Possible. Philippines had a headstart over South korea in Heavy industry but tumbled after Magsaysay.

Though those heavy industries will most likely be Steel and Shipbuilding. Those two are what the government focused since Quirino days. Most likely scenario is Philippines will eat up South Korea's potential share in Steel and Shipbuilding before South korea even setups steel and shipbuilding.

Cars were present through assembly plants so there are investors from American brands and German brands. Benz had like an assembly plant since 1955 in Manila while the old US brands were present since before WW2.

The most likely scenario is if the government asks one of local Jeepney producers to produce them trucks for the military. But personal use of cars was not invested by the Philippine government even in the 1950s. The Jeepney I suspect would look like a Willis Jeep but with a copied diesel engine of Benz(since that was the engine surplus used back then).

Or because of lack of highways similar to OTL in the 1960s, off road Jeepneys were a better alternative for local use. But the numbers would be insignificant nor would it affect car manufacturing potential of South Korea.

Chemical industries already existed in the Philippines but the government had no favorable policy for it and is reliant on the private industries to expand or not. There was no government corporation that was fueling the industry not unlike the Steel and Shipbuilding. In Magsaysay's last state of the nation, he point out about expanding the metallurgical capacity, steel mills of the Philippines but no mention on chemicals, automobiles. There are mentions about increase in power production.

Personally, I doubtful there would be any significant policy change before the formation of Malaysia, since I don't think Magsaysay (and his successors, particularly those from the pre-Marcos Nacionalista) would really able to do the most important thing required to really prevent the formation of Malaysia, which is to align with (the anti-American, Communist influenced) Indonesia and thus fully cooperating in increasing the intensity of the Konfrontasi.

That being said, as shown by Singapore.... an independent Sabah and Sarawak could still happen after the formation...perhaps with a few changes here and there, while also taking advantage of the disagreements with the controversial Petroleum Development Act of 1974 among others. The likelihood for this to happen is small as you jad just said...but not impossible...

There are some previous threads regarding Magsaysay's survival on this forum:
Is it me, or some of the threads in this post seems to have some deleted posts (especially in regards to @Nightningale 's) to the point of making the previous discussion seems unusable....

One thing for sure, a more properous (non-Marcos) Philippines would hopefully have a Manila with a unified (in terms of standards) Metro system comparable to Singapore (heck considering how close those two are in terms of opening dates, why not Manila work together with Singapore to create a Southeast Asian standards for MRT to reduce development cost.)

Last edited:
Personally, I doubtful there would be any significant policy change before the formation of Malaysia, since I don't think Magsaysay (and his successors, particularly those from the pre-Marcos Nacionalista) would really able to do the most important thing required to really prevent the formation of Malaysia, which is to align with (the anti-American, Communist influenced) Indonesia and thus fully cooperating in increasing the intensity of the Konfrontasi.

That being said, as shown by Singapore.... an independent Sabah and Sarawak could still happen after the formation...perhaps with a few changes here and there, while also taking advantage of the disagreements with the controversial Petroleum Development Act of 1974 among others. The likelihood for this to happen is small as you jad just said...but not impossible...
The formation of Malaysia required Sabah and Sarawak and Singapore. Otherwise it will just be Malaya. Sabah has been targeted by Congress since before the Korean war. When they were in Congress, Macapagal and Lacson pass a move in Congress to negotiate or gain Sabah in behalf of the Sultan of Sulu. Although Magsaysay will not go there with the military, third party "observers" from the US and Philippines during the Cobbold Commission could tilt the balance in favor of independence.

Is it me, or some of the threads in this post seems to have some deleted posts (especially in regards to @Nightningale 's) to the point of making the previous discussion seems unusable....

One thing for sure, a more properous (non-Marcos) Philippines would hopefully have a Manila with a unified (in terms of standards) Metro system comparable to Singapore (heck considering how close those two are in terms of opening dates, why not Manila work together with Singapore to create a Southeast Asian standards for MRT to reduce development cost.)
Metro Manila did not exist at that time.
Most of the businesses were in Escolta and the rich lived within City limits of Manila. The mayor policies in 60s and 70s forced a lot of business, rich and middle class to move out of the City of Manila creating multitude of pockets of gated villages and move the large business to Makati. There were slums but squatters were easily expelled in the 1950s out of Manila since they were new migrants and fewer around 1,000 families vs 1 million Manila residents or around 200k registered voters.

Quezon City back then had a mayor appointed by the president just like most cities in the Philippines.

Mayor Lacson had plans to build a monorail similar to Germany but had financial problems to solve first. So it is a choice of reviving the Tram(which Meralco did not do despite American ownership and capital) or letting Lacson build the monorail. Of course the monorail will be most likely within the city limits of Manila and not Metro Manila.

With regards to working with Singapore, At this point in 1957, Singapore had even less facilities than Manila. Although Singapore had a higher per capita than Philippines, it did not have a higher per capita than Manila in 1957. Singapore businesses mostly dealt with retail, Manila had factories, financial industry, American companies regional offices, chemical industry, etc. While a lot of the rich back then live within the city limits of Manila. Manila was organized and clean back then, trash regularly collected, a lot of open space parks. Manila can expel unwanted squatting/people, in Singapore, no choice but to stay and live in Kampongs not unless they want to live outside of Singapore. So residents of Manila in 1950s can technically say Singapore was backwater compared to Manila and partnering up with them from 1957 to 1961 is highly doubtful.

So let us say Singapore develops like OTL. In a Magsaysay extension of presidency, he or any succeeding president does not have enough time to focus on rails for Manila when he can pass the responsibility to the elected Mayor of Manila.

The National government if they are going to spend anything it is for Quezon City which a president controlled area since he appoints the mayor and the government has plans to move the capital to Quezon City. Possibly an interconnecting lines between the port of Manila to Quezon City, Quezon City to the main line of Manila Railroad Company lines. But a subway/MRT for whole of what is now Metro Manila highly doubtful. You are changing the past. Any mismanagement will be thrown out of the window or minimized, which includes mismanagement of the City of Manila which created and forced people to move to adjacent areas which is now Metro Manila(which would butterfly the purpose of a Metro Manila subway/MRT).