Philip Habsburg dies in 1498

As title says-Philip, son of HRE Maximilian, dies just after birth of his first child Eleanor (thus both Habsburg-Trastamara marriages have similar unhappy ending).

What are consequences? Joanna of Castile IMHO returns to Spain and is then married to Manuel of Portugal.

Meanwhile what would Max do? He'd likely try to dissolve his marriage with Maria Bianca Sforza and remarry, but right now his heiresses are daughter and granddaughter-would in such situation Max still marry Margaret to Duke of Savoy?

Eleanor can't inherit the Austrian lands or become HRE so happy times all around. But she is her mother's first heiress and comes before Juana's children with Manuel.

Eleanor can't inherit the Austrian lands or become HRE so happy times all around. But she is her mother's first heiress and comes before Juana's children with Manuel.
She is Philip's heiress in the Low Countries, but a male heir born to Juana and Manuel would inherit before her and unite Iberia.

She is Philip's heiress in the Low Countries, but a male heir born to Juana and Manuel would inherit before her and unite Iberia.

True that, I forgot that detail.

Now family trees!

Juana I of Castile b 1479 d 1531 m a)Philip, Duke of Burgundy b 1478 d 1498, b) Manuel I of Portugal b 1469 d 1521
Issue:

Eleanor of Burgundy b 1498 m William IV of Bavaria b 1493

John III of Portugal-Castile-Aragon b 1501
Infanta Isabella b 1503
Infante Ferdinand b 1505
Infanta Beatrice b 1507
Infanta Joanna b 1510
Infante Alfonso b 1511

True that, I forgot that detail.

Now family trees!

Juana I of Castile b 1479 d 1531 m a)Philip, Duke of Burgundy b 1478 d 1498, b) Manuel I of Portugal b 1469 d 1521
Issue:

Eleanor of Burgundy b 1498 m William IV of Bavaria b 1493

John III of Portugal-Castile-Aragon b 1501
Infanta Isabella b 1503
Infante Ferdinand b 1505
Infanta Beatrice b 1507
Infanta Joanna b 1510
Infante Alfonso b 1511
I think that Max would marry Eleanor to his son from fourth marriage (if he has any) to keep Burgundian Inheritance in Habsburgs' hands.

Question is-if he gets annulment (as HRE he should succeede) whom he marry? Most likely candidates IMHO are:

-Maria of Castile (b. 1481)
-Elizabeth of Poland (b. 1482)
-Elizabeth of Denmark (least likely of these 3 IMHO) b. 1485

As title says-Philip, son of HRE Maximilian, dies just after birth of his first child Eleanor (thus both Habsburg-Trastamara marriages have similar unhappy ending).

What are consequences? Joanna of Castile IMHO returns to Spain and is then married to Manuel of Portugal.

Meanwhile what would Max do? He'd likely try to dissolve his marriage with Maria Bianca Sforza and remarry, but right now his heiresses are daughter and granddaughter-would in such situation Max still marry Margaret to Duke of Savoy?

I think that Max would marry Eleanor to his son from fourth marriage (if he has any) to keep Burgundian Inheritance in Habsburgs' hands.

Question is-if he gets annulment (as HRE he should succeede) whom he marry? Most likely candidates IMHO are:

-Maria of Castile (b. 1481)
-Elizabeth of Poland (b. 1482)
-Elizabeth of Denmark (least likely of these 3 IMHO) b. 1485
For what reason Max can not have a little more luck than OTL and get a living child by Bianca Maria? In OTL she had some pregnancies who ended in miscarriages and Max in do not lost interest in her before 1500. Right here she is still 26 years old and married to Max by only 4 years and her uncle is still alive

For what reason Max can not have a little more luck than OTL and get a living child by Bianca Maria? In OTL she had some pregnancies who ended in miscarriages and Max in do not lost interest in her before 1500. Right here she is still 26 years old and married to Max by only 4 years and her uncle is still alive
If Max has just one son with Bianca and no other kids, then things would be interesting too-Archduke *Ernst* can't marry heiress of Burgundy and heiress of Hungary at the same time, Burgundy IMHO would be priority.

If there is no Habsburg Archduke available for Anna of Bohemia and Hungary then there are less tensions between Vladislaus and Janos Zapolya, who was leader of anti-Habsburg party, and Vladislaus' brother Sigismund would not need to marry Zapolya's sister to strenghten anti-Habsburg fraction. If something like OTL 1515 Congress of Vienna happens then Max likely would need to marry Anna himself, while Louis of Hungary would be married to one of Max' Bavarian nieces, or to his granddaughter by Margaret, if there are any.

Yeah, Burgundy would be priority for the Habsburgs. Eleanor will be married to a son of Maximilian and Bianca Maria, should they have one. I do like the idea of Margaret being married to Vladislaus II, perhaps she could have children ITTL. If Maximilian and Bianca Maria have no kids, and Margaret has a son by at least 1507, Eleanor could be married to her eldest male cousin by Margaret and he would be elected Holy Roman Emperor after Maximilian. Barring either of those possibilities, Eleanor could marry William of Bavaria, though I imagine that Maximilian would also take a 4th wife (perhaps Mary Tudor?).

Last edited:
The next German emperor is not going to have the American gold so easily. Funny times ahead.

Small point. OTL, the House of Wittelsbach split into Catholic (Bavarian) and Protestant (Palatine) lines. If they acquire the Austrian lands, and have no Spanish connection, may the Bavarian (now Austro/Bavarian) branch also become Protestant? That would mean Protestantism sweeping virtually all Germany.