"Phil won't leave his room" - A Doctor Who Production History

What images did you use for Henderson and Cuthbertson for The Wrong Doctors?
Looking through my project folder, these are they.
cuthbertdon.jpg
Iain's beard and suit is flown in from a Railway Children still. Don's body is probably Christopher Lloyd in Clue, widened a bit to make him burly and with a different bow tie. Roger is aged up via a site called Artbreeder.

Last edited:
OK, at considerable expense I've opened a communication channel between dimensions and Andrew Barbicane, who has written books about cult TV and pop music on Earth-RD, will be taking a Q&A about the pop culture of his universe. He does reserve the right to be vague about anything after 1993 and notes that everything before the making of A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum is more or less identical to OTL. The communication channel closes on Friday, so all questions must be in before 11am Pacific Time (2pm Eastern, 7pm GMT).

See you all Friday.

Just an extra clarification, it's not live. Put your questions here or PM me before the deadline and the eventual post will appear shortly thereafter.

OK, at considerable expense I've opened a communication channel between dimensions and Andrew Barbicane, who has written books about cult TV and pop music on Earth-RD, will be taking a Q&A about the pop culture of his universe. He does reserve the right to be vague about anything after 1993 and notes that everything before the making of A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum is more or less identical to OTL. The communication channel closes on Friday, so all questions must be in before 11am Pacific Time (2pm Eastern, 7pm GMT).

See you all Friday.

Hum.... a few for you Mr Barbicane

1) Are there any sequels or prequels to Star Wars? Are they any good? Can we get a general breakdown of them please?
2) Did you have StarTrek: TNG? What have the follow up shows been like?
3) Who played the PM in House of Cards?
4) How did Red Dwarf America do?
5) Did the Beatles play Live Aid?

1. What is Channel 4's early days like in your world?
2. In your world, what happens with ITC? Does Raise the Titanic get made, and becomes a hit? I know that in your world, ITCrather than EMI are responsible for the Poirot movies, and also a series of movies starring Edward Petherbridge's Wimsey...
3. What happens with the Carry Ons?
4. The British film industry in general seems livelier in your world.
5. With the BBC embracing all-film series earlier in this world, does this mean there are more US/UK coproductions in this world the BBC are engaged in?
6. How does Bernard Cribbins get Gummidge? In this world, Pertwee was the one who brought Gummidge to TV, chasing the rights, initially for a film, then getting turned down by BBC and Thames, before Southern... In this world, does Pertwee drop out, gets fired...
7. What happens to Quatermass ITTL?
8. I saw a magazine from your world where there's a Callan series of movies. In this world, we got just one. Elaborate if you can.

Last edited:
OK, here's the Q&A.

Are there any sequels or prequels to Star Wars? Are they any good? Can we get a general breakdown of them please?

I'm guessing the prequels weren't a TV series in your dimension. It takes a particular set of circumstances for them to happen. Without Al Gore's heavy investment in technology, you wouldn't have CGI reaching such a point by the early 90s that George Lucas feels confident enough to tackle the Star Wars story again. Coming off of Young Indiana Jones, Lucas felt the scope of what became Star Wars: The Rise Of Vader was better served by a TV series. It's a shame the show stiffed, the early episodes are dull and bloated but it had really come into its own by the time it was cancelled.

I don't think we have sequels the same way you do. I'm intrigued, but I feel bad for you if you don't have Pixar's Rebels movie. I know it was marketed very much at children, but it was hugely satisfying and really captured the flavour of the first film. We're in that weird position that Star Wars fans are either Generations X or Z. There aren't many Millennial Star Wars fans.

Did you have StarTrek: TNG? What have the follow up shows been like?

TNG as in The Next Generation? We do have that. Star Trek, like Star Wars, seems to insulated in its own little world. The producers don't seem to be looking over their shoulders at Who and Blake and stuff like that. From what little I know of your world, I don't think there's hellish much difference in out Star Treks. There have been constant spinoffs since then and a lot of Doctor Who actors pop up in guest roles. I was lucky enough to interview Dr Beverly Crusher herself, Jenny Agutter, at a convention and can confirm she's absolutely lovely.

Who played the PM in House of Cards?

House of Cards? I think there's a 1968 film called that, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. PM as in Prime Minister? There's a political novel called House of Cards, but it was dismissed as sour grapes from a Tory grandee trying to make David Owen look like the devil.

How did Red Dwarf America do?

Ah. Very much the canary down the coalmine for Doctor Who and no-one paid attention. One series on NBC and they didn't show all the episodes (they pulled it after 16). In the UK, the first 13 got showed on BBC1 in winter 1992 and the second thirteen were split into one series of 6 and one of 7 at the in 1993 and 94. Grant Naylor stayed in the US for a while, writing The Ten Percenters for NBC (huge hit, don't know if you have it over there) and doing some script doctoring. There was a lot of talk about bringing back original Red Dwarf, but also an unwillingness as Back To Reality was such a well-loved finale. The first revival series happened in 2006 after the previous year's acclaimed Comic Relief special. There have been a few feature length specials and of course, the UK and US continuities are now fully crossed over.

Did the Beatles play Live Aid?

Well, yeah but it came so close to not happening and they nearly scuppered Live Aid completely. It's still a sore point with a lot of people. Queen won the day and Elvis made a huge recovery after a really poor couple of numbers. The Beatles played, but they weren't on for the singalong at the end. I've been told that the history of pop in our world is up to 1984, so you'll probably get the full story soon.

What is Channel 4's early days like in your world?

Nicknamed "BBC2 Bradford" for its stream of high-minded documentaries and fussy game/panel shows and freaky sketch shows, all produced in the regions. People laugh, but all those independent TV companies that blossomed in smaller British cities (thanks to Owen's "targeted small business loans" as part of the "Programme for Change") really helped Britain develop a wide talent base.

In your world, what happens with ITC? Does Raise the Titanic get made, and becomes a hit?

That was a huge bomb here. Grade is fortunate that ATV more or less kept its ITV franchise. I think having ATV Midlands shielded him. Not financially, but it gave him a job to focus on. I think one of his more outre ideas, putting Clayton Moore on a retainer to not appear as the Lone Ranger, paid off. In my opinion, The Legend Of The Lone Ranger benefited from Moore letting it be known he smiled on the idea of a new movie (even he was on Grade's payroll). People wonder why Grade was throwing money at the problem, but co-producer Jack Wrather's plan of suing Moore would have killed the film. You can quote me on that.

I know that in your world, ITC rather than EMI are responsible for the Poirot movies, and also a series of movies starring Edward Petherbridge's Wimsey...

I like them, but they're a bit of a safe choice. Sumptuous settings, posh manners and murders.

What happens with the Carry Ons?

30 films (if you count That's Carry On) between 1958-78. Then Carry On Columbus in 1992 and since then, endless promises that there'll be a new one. It'll never happen. I hope your dimension didn't have to suffer through Columbus.

The British film industry in general seems livelier in your world.

Interesting. There's a continual complaint here that the British film industry is choked by lack of imagination. A lot of other countries film here and there's that huge talent base, but British films themselves tend to be period drama or urban decay. It is, of course, the centre of the special effects industry thanks to all the money the "Programme for Change" threw at the nascent home computer industry (if anyone's wondering where Al Gore got his best idea from).

With the BBC embracing all-film series earlier in this world, does this mean there are more US/UK coproductions in this world the BBC are engaged in?

Not anything with action. I think the answer below will go in to why.

How does Bernard Cribbins get Gummidge? In this world, Pertwee was the one who brought Gummidge to TV, chasing the rights, initially for a film, then getting turned down by BBC and Thames, before Southern... In this world, does Pertwee drop out, gets fired...

Cribbins was Worzel in the BBC show, three series from 1976-80. It started out as some vague idea for the BBC to maybe make a movie to go up against the mid-70s UK children's films of the kind Lionel Jeffries was putting out. However, Baine and Quiller were causing questions to be raised about the BBC being a little too competitive in commercial waters, so the preparatory work was sunk into a filmed series. Jon Pertwee played Worzel's voice on the late 80s cartoon.

What happens to Quatermass ITTL?

Another victim of the co-production question. The Quatermass Conclusion ended up being a usual film outdoors/VT indoors production for BBC1 in 1977, with some PBS stations having a stake in it. Still, even though it's not all film, it's an expensive looking production.

I saw a magazine from your world where there's a Callan series of movies. In this world, we got just one. Elaborate if you can.

I have that issue of TV Zone. They call it The Section Goes To The Movies, but "The Movies" is just a figure of speech. They should have called it "Goes To The Cinema" because there's not really a series of films. It's an article about the 1974 Callan film and a shorter bit about the Wet Job TV movie, which wasn't very good, though I did buy the blu-ray.

Is there any possibility that Trump and Boris don't come to power ITTL?

Trump? Donald Trump? Where does he come to power? Does he finally buy himself an island?

Boris Yeltsin was President of Russia for eight years, but nearly everyone's forgotten about him now. I can only assume he lasts longer in your world.

with thanks to Andrew Hickey, Hamish Bland and Dirty Feed for helping me decipher Barbicane's handwriting

Trump? Donald Trump? Where does he come to power? Does he finally buy himself an island?
I'm still waiting for the timeline where he dives into the sea to become King of Atlantis and never resurfaces.

Lovely updates, BTW! Nathan Lane as the Doctor is A+. Does Leah Remini find out scientology is a bunch of shit earlier ITTL? Oh, and Forgotten Lives finally arrived!

Last edited:
I haven't found anything to speed up Remini leaving Scientology, but I don't think it would be butterflied either.

Hope you enjoy the book.

BTW, I've been turning over in my mind whether there should be some sort of "in-universe" crossover between Doctors from AH TLs over on FandomAH. Could be a lark.

Hmm, too young for the character in that stage, but seeing as he was already playing grandfathers in children's serial the Canal Children..

Just seeing if I got all the DW radio drama info correct:
Spring 1991: The Last Cyberman (6 episodes, Seventh Doctor & Koryn)
Autumn 1991: Triumph of The Ice Warriors (6 episodes, Seventh Doctor & Koryn)
August-September 1993: The Paradise of Death (5 episodes, Third Doctor, with Kay, The Brigadier & maybe Jo, with a possible appearance from the Lost Doctor)
Two serials a year in 94, & 95 and each with a different Doctor. Henderson, (and maybe Delgado) appears in late 94.

Curious as to see what you do with Bond in this TL, I started a Bond TL a few years ago and got, IIRC, to the mid seventies with regards to the movies but had planned to the present.

Curiously I also had McGann as a Nineties Bond.