"Phil won't leave his room" - A Doctor Who Production History

Sounds like Roger Delgado had fun doing a new take on his Doctor.

Sounds like WB are in trouble if their 2 tent pole Supers movies sunk.

Great to witness your return, my friend.

McConaughey as Bruce Wayne is one of those surprisingly ingenious casting choices that I'm surprised no-one else has come up with. The only issue would be his Texas drawl, although he does seem capable of softening it for certain roles.
601d4835f823b6aa40294e4ff3bd14b02d-12-mcconaughey-contact.rsquare.w700.jpg

Just a few notes:
1. Personally, I'd disagree with referring to any Bob Hoskins performance as unadventurous. At the very least he would bring some much need gravitas to the part.
2. Is The Strange Resurrection of Gabriel Baine the same thing as this bourgeoning US production, or are they seperate? And what does The Congress Of Time refer to?
3. I'm intrigued by how your new Superman pans out. My only hope is that it doesn't star Dean Cain.
4. Lastly, I know it's a bit of a long shot, but I don't suppose Roger could be Alfred in The Beginning, could he? At this point, he's probably too old to play the role for an origin story, but he looks so much like the character's comic counterpart.)

Last edited:
2. The Congress is the bunch of people the Draconians have gathered to discuss whether the Time Lord monopoly on policing the timelines is a good thing or not. It turns out to be a cover for some Draconians gone rogue to carry out their own time travel experiments, which cause the Ninth Doctor's TARDIS to get pulled off course.

3. I'm in two minds about whether to deal with it or just leave it as something referred to, but never actually seen. Like Elizabeth Mainwaring or Mrs Columbo (you know how well it went when both of those were finally put onscreen).

4. I'd rather Roger wasn't in such a turkey, but as he was Alfred for Dirk Maggs on Radio 4, I can see him dressing up as Alfred for a photoshoot.

I notice that this timeline has made it on TVTropes. Big thanks if it was one of you guys.

I have some possibles for Parker, but as usual, I won't choose unless I have to. Reynolds is directing Batman and as I'm leery of piling blame on a real person, I've used the executive meddling trope to explain why the movie bites. I need to think of a director who deserves a right pasting if I handle Superman.

Looking at my notes, I have a Baine-related butterfly in the mid-70s that mildly derails Indiana Jones. I might do a whole "looking back at the development of the fantastic action-hero/superhero" post some time that will answer some questions.

What's Taylor done to deserve being associated with a huge flop? I'm out of the loop on modern Hollywood. I keep meaning to check out one of these "talking pictures" they have nowadays.

I think Brett Ratner and Bryan Singer might be suitable enough candidates for that.
By the time The Man of Steel is released in '97, Singer would have had his big breakout Oscar nominated hit in The Usual Suspects 2 years earlier. So he already had probably enough clout to do it. Not to mention, he did direct a Superman film IOTL, as well as some X-Men movies; proving he's definitely not averse to comic books films. The fact that he's by all accounts a terrible person, would make a premature career erviceration easier to impart. Interestingly, the earliest of his abuse allegations goes right back to 1997!

Of course, if you want to appoint a really controversial and more seasoned director to take the fall, you could always go with Oliver Stone!
Reynolds is directing Batman and as I'm leery of piling blame on a real person, I've used the executive meddling trope to explain why the movie bites.
If ever you end up elaborating on this film, you can simply lay the blame at producer Jon Peters' feet. IOTL he helmed Burton's Batman, and would have produced his Superman Lives film as well. He's known for being a hot head, a fierce eccentric, and a bully. He also liked to impart his own plot ideas on his films e.g. insisting on some infamously bizarre script changes for Superman Lives, so it would not be unreasonable to imagine his domineering and interfering nature could explain away at least some of the major production issues for The Beginning. The fact that this would be his first producing credit on a major franchise ITTL, would certainly embolden him to "make his mark" on the project.

If nothing else, Batman: The Beginning should be remembered for having a badass Batsuit. By the way, how would McConaughey's portrayal be recieved? And might I nominate Ian McShane as Alfred for the film?
Not well, because he's not given enough to work with. His dialogue switches between macho snarling and explaining his gear (taking the "form follows function" approach to explain the Batsuit like OTL's Batman Begins but in such a way that it interrupts the action).

I like McShane.

All your suggestions are making my head spin! I might leave Man Of Steel as an unseen thing that casts a shadow.

If you all like Batman, you might like my Gotham Magazine gallery on Deviantart.