Peshawar Lancers Redux: North America

Here's a start, I welcome comments.

October 3,1878 A series of cometary or asteroidal fragments struck the earth over a period of 12 hours. The first impact was close to the southern Moscow with an impact of 300 megatons. Further impacts in the 100 to 300 megaton range impacted across Europe as far west as France. By far the largest impact struck in the western Atlantic Ocean . The size of the impact is not clearly known even to this day, but based on the resultant effects, an energy of no less than 800 megatons seems likely. The impact took place about 600 miles east of Baltimore, Maryland

October 4, 1878 Beginning within hours of the Atlantic impact, a series of increasingly large tsunami waves struck the Atlantic coastlines from the Canadian Martimes to the northern coast of Brazil. For observers in the United States ,the only warning was a literally blinding light in the east, a wind whose speed exceeded 150 miles an hour an the appearance of a gigantic mushroom-shaped cloud over the ocean visible as far west as Harrisburg, Pennsyvania. Exceedingly high waves continued to batter the shores for a week following the Fall as the energy of the impact reflected back and forth across the Atlantic basin.

Across North America, a series of impacts in the 100 to 300 megaton range landed in a wide zone from Lake Superior to northern Colorado. In the Caribbean Sea, with the exception of those living in the higher elevations of the islands of Cuba, Hispaniola and Jamaica virtually no one survived. Along the east coast of the United States, the principal population centers, including Boston, Hartford, Providence, New York, Baltimore and Washington DC ceased to exist.The coastal towns of the south including Savannah and Charleston were also washed away. Although New Orleans was severely damaged by waves and a sudden surge up the Mississippi, parts of the town survived. Oddly, although Florida was washed over in several places by the tsunamis, Pensacola, perhaps sheltered by the remaining parts of Florida went almost unscathed. Not so fortunate were the Texas and Mexican coastlines, where Galveston, Houston, Matamoros and Tampico were no more.

October 5, 1878 Former President Ulysses S. Grant, traveling eastward with his family had stopped for a few days in Denver, Colorado. As the news of the horror that had befallen the country gradually became clear, he telegraphs his old comrade-in-arms General William Sherman at his post in St. Louis. Sherman’s reply reached Grant later that afternoon “Come at once, we need you here.” Later that night, a special train with Grant, his wife and son Frank and a contingent of troops proceeded east.

October 6, 1878 As Grant headed eastward, the weather began to worsen. From shortly after the Fall, the sky had had an almost nightmarish look, with dark clouds moving west to east at fantastic speeds. Now it began to rain in torrents. Those outside noticed that unlike ordinary rain, this rain seemed to be muddy, and some said it had a salty taste. It continued to rain without stopping for two weeks, with skies so dark that towns left their gas lamps on and lanterns were required at all hours of the day.

I like it but I dont see how Pensacola is getting safed. Most of Florida was under water and marsh land before humans and still is in TTL so therefore All of Florida is going to get hit and the waves will Cross the peninsula. Its just not high enough above sea level to avoid it at any point. I still hope to see more.

Sometimes wierd things happen with waves canceling and reinforcing themselves. Given the more-or-less circular Gulf of Mexico, I just thought it might be possible just as a fluke of nature

A good beginning. Keep up the good work!

About the Californians being the good guys, cutting the railroads to reduce/eliminate the refugee flow might be one of those "terrible necessities" to prevent total collapse.

Across North America, a series of impacts in the 100 to 300 megaton range landed in a wide zone from Lake Superior to northern Colorado.

I'd also write off Chicago and any of the other Great Lakes cities, and their substantial railway systems. The effect of which would be to stress the southern and central railsystem to the breaking point. Also, some quick research on the US Army at the time details a total troop strength at 27,000. A fair number of which were stationed along the eastern seaboard, so support for a mobilization by Grant would be limited, at best.

I'd also write off Chicago and any of the other Great Lakes cities, and their substantial railway systems. The effect of which would be to stress the southern and central railsystem to the breaking point. Also, some quick research on the US Army at the time details a total troop strength at 27,000. A fair number of which were stationed along the eastern seaboard, so support for a mobilization by Grant would be limited, at best.

While its clear that US gets hurt badly, and every working scenario we have thus far hurts it grievously, why should we assume that the meteor fragments have built in targeting devices directing them towards American transportation hubs?

While its clear that US gets hurt badly, and every working scenario we have thus far hurts it grievously, why should we assume that the meteor fragments have built in targeting devices directing them towards American transportation hubs?

I agree. No need to wipe out Chicago at this point. Besides I have something in mind for a certain citizen of that city..

Transportation in the next few months is going to be a growing problem for sure.

I agree. No need to wipe out Chicago at this point. Besides I have something in mind for a certain citizen of that city..

Transportation in the next few months is going to be a growing problem for sure.

My apologies, in looking back at the map, there would be no reasonable way wave reflection would move from Lake Superior to Michigan.

Here's a start, I welcome comments.

October 3,1878 A series of cometary or asteroidal fragments struck the earth over a period of 12 hours. The first impact was close to the southern Moscow with an impact of 300 megatons. Further impacts in the 100 to 300 megaton range impacted across Europe as far west as France. By far the largest impact struck in the western Atlantic Ocean . The size of the impact is not clearly known even to this day, but based on the resultant effects, an energy of no less than 800 megatons seems likely. The impact took place about 600 miles east of Baltimore, Maryland

October 4, 1878 Beginning within hours of the Atlantic impact, a series of increasingly large tsunami waves struck the Atlantic coastlines from the Canadian Martimes to the northern coast of Brazil. For observers in the United States ,the only warning was a literally blinding light in the east, a wind whose speed exceeded 150 miles an hour an the appearance of a gigantic mushroom-shaped cloud over the ocean visible as far west as Harrisburg, Pennsyvania. Exceedingly high waves continued to batter the shores for a week following the Fall as the energy of the impact reflected back and forth across the Atlantic basin.

Using the calculator I linked in before for a 800MT event it would require a body made of cometary ices to be .101 miles in diameter. At a distance of 600 miles the wind speed is only .78mph and no noticable siesmic activity is felt
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impactef...theta=45&tdens=1000&wdepth=8000&wdepthUnits=2
For an iron asteriod impact the size is slightly larger but again the imediate effects at 600 miles is not all that noticable.
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impactef...theta=45&tdens=1000&wdepth=8000&wdepthUnits=2
In using the calculator I plugged the average impact velocities for cometary and asteriodal impactors at the average 45 degree impact angle.

Plus the time frame of the first to last does not make much sense. The Earth will have moved along its orbit 800,460 miles if we for shits and grins assume a circular orbit with a 93 million miles radius. Just how the hell do all these bodies manage to strike the Earth along a fairly uniform path? ASBs throwing rocks? A much more likely scenario for multiple impacts in the same time frame is a body that has undergone some sort of event that tears it apart. The more I think about it the likely villian is a rubble pile asteriod.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubble_pile

Kevin Renner, Thanks for the calculations. I was too busy/lazy to do them. Much appreciated. Question: do we up the mass, or move the object closer to the US to get the canonical damage stated in PL? I agree that an object breaking up as it approaches Earth is the most likely scenario. One reference I came across seemed to find evidence that the KT Boundary event was multiple hits from just east of India ( its Cretaceous location that is) to the Yucatan. Thoughts?

Kevin Renner, Thanks for the calculations. I was too busy/lazy to do them. Much appreciated. Question: do we up the mass, or move the object closer to the US to get the canonical damage stated in PL? I agree that an object breaking up as it approaches Earth is the most likely scenario. One reference I came across seemed to find evidence that the KT Boundary event was multiple hits from just east of India ( its Cretaceous location that is) to the Yucatan. Thoughts?

Honestly I don't know why you guys are so hard up with the canonical damage as it is apparent (maybe just to me...?) that Stirling's homework was flawed and he just wanted a destroyed US to get the story that he wanted.

Why not try to go with a better researched comet hit. Have the large one hit in the Atlantic, say a third of the distance of the Atlantic towards the NA side, and a smaller chunk hit Tunguska style somewhere along say the US/Canada border to muddy things up a bit. Then deal with the outcome from there.

IMO trying to match Stirling's 'canon' just makes things less interesting.

Believe me I could care less how Stirling got the US severely fracked up. Repeat after me, It's a story. A fiction work in which the Fall is merely a means to set up a scenario for an adventure story. I mean the Russian witch gets laid by King and losses her ability to see the potential futures. Does the organ of precognition reside in the Hymen? :rolleyes:

Just thought I'd post a map of the US railroad network in 1880 which is closer to when the comet hit than the last one I posted.

map1880.jpg

Its hard to see the rail lines in places where there are a ton of them. Could the map be made larger or something?

Sadly that was the best I could find but here's one for 1890:

So figure it would be closer to the 1890 one that the 1880 I suppose if the impact happened in 1887.

It looks like there were quite a few connections to the west coast in 1890, how many were complete by 1887 I wonder?

Railroadsrev1890.jpg

The thing to notice is that the area that will be most affected by the "nucear winter" is the area with the most miles of track. The eastern coast railroads are of course a total loss. Travel westward and travel soutward have much less.