Per Ardua Surgimus - Maps and Graphics Timeline

Cool TL, reminds me of the most recent Victoria 3 update - where Brazil can balkanize if tensions get too high:

DD99_43.png

So... about that 🫠
I love the map, I love the lore of the Brazilian splinters, I love a lot of this... but what is up with that Argentina, that is a lot of things wrong ;o;

One minor one: La Plata wouldn't exist if Buenos Aires isn't the nation's capital.

I just realized that the country of Equator isn't actually on the equator. Perhaps something like Pernambuco would've been a better name. Also, you'd think that Communist Bahia would've changed the name of Salvador to something not religious in nature.

All of the countries HDIs seem quite low, and it's mentioned that Rio Grande has the third highest HDI at .791, while OTL third largest in LATAM is above .800. Is this a general trend, like the whole world is kinda backwards, or the classic, some regions are worse and some are better?

Also, with Amazonas having it's own dictatorship and a crazy Eneas presidency, it comes to my mind how is the state of climate change in this TL?

Last edited:
I love the map, I love the lore of the Brazilian splinters, I love a lot of this... but what is up with that Argentina, that is a lot of things wrong ;o;

One minor one: La Plata wouldn't exist if Buenos Aires isn't the nation's capital.
Thanks for pointing out! As for Argentina, with the end of the Great South American War and the Federalists having fared better, the Battle of Pavón results on a stalemate, and Buenos Aires stays independent before being renamed to Bonaria, fittingly named after the hill in Cagliari. I'm still writing about that, actually!

I just realized that the country of Equator isn't actually on the equator. Perhaps something like Pernambuco would've been a better name. Also, you'd think that Communist Bahia would've changed the name of Salvador to something not religious in nature.

This and Pernambuco wouldn't be well received by the broader population, I believe. And no, I don't think that Salvador would be changed at all. Surely, in the early years I could see religion being downplayed quite a lot, but not to the point of renaming cities just because of their religious nature.

All of the countries HDIs seem quite low, and it's mentioned that Rio Grande has the third highest HDI at .791, while OTL third largest in LATAM is above .800. Is this a general trend, like the whole world is kinda backwards, or the classic, some regions are worse and some are better?

Also, with Amazonas having it's own dictatorship and a crazy Eneas presidency, it comes to my mind how is the state of climate change in this TL?
Yeah, I should've looked better to their HDI, definitely should be upwards. But, it is the classic, some regions for sure are worse and better (i.e. Equador).

As for climate change, I have some... interesting ideas. Just need the time to turn them into infoboxes, lol

Flags of Brazil
This is the flag of Brazil used by the Provisional state during the Constitutional Convention between 1822 and 1824. It reuses the armillary sphere, surrounded by nineteen stars representing the Brazilian states. It became a symbol for Brazilian unification movements across the region, serving as the base of, and being superseded by, the flag of the Society of Brazilian States:

xO9CplU.png

Flag used by the provisional state of Brazil between 1822 and 1824.

TdOIjxq.png

Current flag of the Society of Brazilian States.
Edited with Inkscape, using Bandeira Reino Brasil azul.svg as base (Wikimedia Commons)

Thanks for pointing out! As for Argentina, with the end of the Great South American War and the Federalists having fared better, the Battle of Pavón results on a stalemate, and Buenos Aires stays independent before being renamed to Bonaria, fittingly named after the hill in Cagliari. I'm still writing about that, actually!
Bonaria was the alternative name of the Virgin Mary's title that gave the name to Buenos Aires: Nuestra Señora del Buen Ayre. Clever name.

List of presidents of Catanduva
Throughout its history, Catanduva was ruled by several types of heads of state. The current office of President of Catanduva would only be created in 1830, while the country was ruled by the provisional government of the General Assembly and a few triumvirates. Andrada Machado was elected and served as the first president of Catanduva, adopting a similar system to the United States.

Catanduva's presidency is generally divided between five periods: the Presidential era, the Military Decade, and the continuation of the Presidential era, dominated by the Conservative and Autonomist parties. The November Revolution gave rise to the Semi-presidential period, and the emergence of the Civic Democratic Party, Nationalist Party and the Popular Union. The current era also saw the growth of new political parties, such as the Left Front and the New Democracy.

Luís Alves de Lima e Silva was the longest-serving president, serving two non-consecutive terms (between 1851 and 1855, 1867 and 1875), totalizing in twelve years. However, Aécio Neves served ten years between 2011 and 2021, assuming the office as Acting President, and being elected in 2014. The youngest president was Honório Hermeto, taking office at the age of 42, while the oldest was Benedita da Silva, elected at the age of 78. In 2021, at 103 years old, Lygia Fagundes Telles became the longest-lived former state leader in the world.

The current Catanduvan president is Benedita da Silva (Left Front), elected in 2020 and serving since November 10, 2020.

IcJUshc.png

Notes:
a.
Died in office
b. Deposed during the 1900 Catanduvan coup d'état
c. Deposed during the November Revolution of 1937
d. Assassinated
e. Resigned following the Escândalo do sucateamento (Scrapping scandal)
f. Assumed the office as President of the Chamber of Deputies

By the way! I'm currently making the world map for the timeline. There are a few more changes outside South America! As for now, I'll follow through the list of presidents from the other Brazilian nations

Throughout its history, Catanduva was ruled by several types of heads of state. The current office of President of Catanduva would only be created in 1830, while the country was ruled by the provisional government of the General Assembly and a few triumvirates. Andrada Machado was elected and served as the first president of Catanduva, adopting a similar system to the United States.

Catanduva's presidency is generally divided between five periods: the Presidential era, the Military Decade, and the continuation of the Presidential era, dominated by the Conservative and Autonomist parties. The November Revolution gave rise to the Semi-presidential period, and the emergence of the Civic Democratic Party, Nationalist Party and the Popular Union. The current era also saw the growth of new political parties, such as the Left Front and the New Democracy.

Luís Alves de Lima e Silva was the longest-serving president, serving two non-consecutive terms (between 1851 and 1855, 1867 and 1875), totalizing in twelve years. However, Aécio Neves served ten years between 2011 and 2021, assuming the office as Acting President, and being elected in 2014. The youngest president was Honório Hermeto, taking office at the age of 42, while the oldest was Benedita da Silva, elected at the age of 78. In 2021, at 103 years old, Lygia Fagundes Telles became the longest-lived former state leader in the world.

The current Catanduvan president is Benedita da Silva (Left Front), elected in 2020 and serving since November 10, 2020.

IcJUshc.png

Notes:
a.
Died in office
b. Deposed during the 1900 Catanduvan coup d'état
c. Deposed during the November Revolution of 1937
d. Assassinated
e. Resigned following the Escândalo do sucateamento (Scrapping scandal)
f. Assumed the office as President of the Chamber of Deputies
Júlio Prestes: I've won, but at what cost?