Pennsylvania Railroad Alternate Timeline

The alternate timeline for this branches from OTL at 1929. Where in this timeline, the Esch Cummins Act, now revised as the Dickenson act, was passed by Congress.

All fictional steam engine ideas are detailed below.

1927: the PRR hires a Milanese Mechanical Engineer namedas Augusto Lombardi. Having seen the NYC Hudsons, they desire bigger and better engines, albeit still with interchangeable parts, which they require Lombardi to use on his first designs.

1928: Lombardi designs the U1 2-8-4, based on the I1. And the R2 4-8-4, based on the M1. Both are moderate successes. But are not built in quantity like other PRR steamers of the time. For this reason of the lack of interchangeable parts, Lombardi is given permission to make entirely new designs.

1929: Lombardi introduces a new method of locomotive numbering due to numbering system having once been random. The process dictates a letter for the motive power type (S for steam, E for electric, etc.), the class of the engine (L, K, M, I, etc.), and the engine’s number. For instance, L1 Mikado 520 would be referred to as “SL-520.” and K4 Pacific 1361 would be “SK-1361"

1930: After a few years, Lombardi announce that he will work with Baldwin and Lima to develop his next big project. A larger engine to replace the K4 Pacific in fast Passenger runs.

1933: SR-7100, the first R3 4-8-4, rolls out of Altoona. 300 would be originally built with the intent of replacing the K4 Pacific. However, they would instead supplement them often and end up on mixed traffic later in life.

1935: The first U2 2-8-4, SU-7400 rolls out of Altoona. The railroad envisions these engines to compliment the L1 Mikados and M1 Mountains in fast freight. With I1s and U1s roll on heavier, slower trains.

Late 30s: Lombardi builds the R3s and U2s in massive numbers. Unlike the past PRR engines, they have fewer interchangeable parts. but are still loved by crews and the PRR.

1938: The electrification of the NE Corridor is completed. Though some engines continue to venture as far as Harrisburg.

1942: The PRR introduces the first two T1 duplexes.

1945: The PRR builds the J1, T1, and Q2 engines.

1946-1950: The PRR begins modifying their facilities to be like those of is subsidiary Norfolk and Western. Allowing for a more efficient maintenance process than before.

1957: The first K4, 1737, is retired and put on display at Northumberland, PA.

1967-1973: Most of the K4 Pacifics are retired. Among the ones preserved in this timeline are 5399, 3768 (with rebuilt shrouding), 1120 (also with rebuilt shrouding), and 3847. Plus many more K4 Pacifics. Which become to Americans what the Black Five is to British enthusiasts.

1974: All PRR steam engines smaller than the M1 Mountains are retired. This includes the L1 Mikados, H series Consolidations, among others. Only the I1 2-10-0s and several switchers remain by 1976.

1976: The R2, U1, Q2, and T1 are all retired. Thankfully, several are preserved of each class.

1977: The PRR introduces the Keystone Limited, which supplements the Broadway Limited as a NY-Chicago train, albeit one running via the Panhandle Line through Columbus, OH and Logansport, IN.

1978: The N&W is fully absorbed into the PRR, while the Abingdon and Blacksburg branch lines, which still ran the M class 4-8-0s, become tourist lines. The Huckleberry Scenic and the Virginia Creeper Scenic. Both continue running with 4-8-0s, though the former also buys a pair of PRR diesels.

1979: The PRR Historical Society gets together to plan restoration of several PRR engines. The T1, R2, U1, Q2, J1, are retired with some examples preserved of each. At this point, the M1, I1, U2, and r3 are the only steamers left in regular service.

1980: The PRR finally ends steam. The last fantrip being R3 7236 and I1 1753 on a double header from Harrisburg to Chicago via Ft. Wayne and return. Many remaining engines are sent to museums. Subsidiary Norfolk and western dieselizes soon after, also saving more off their engines than in OTL. That said, many of the modernized steam facilities are kept around. If only for show in the yards, though return to use for steam excursions.

1981: Their first engine, E6 460 goes to work at the Strasburg railroad. N&W 611 is also restored for the Southern Excursion Program.

1982: R3 7236 is sent to the Southern's Birmingham shops for restoration.

1984: T1 Duplex 5536 is slated for possible restoration. Which takes place 1989.

1987: K4s 1361 is restored, as is 3750. N&W 1218 is also restored for the Southern excursion service.

1980s-early 90s: Many surviving K4s are restored for excursions on short lines or the mainline. Notably 5399.

1996: To celebrate its sesquicentennial, the PRR operates several steam excursions with engines from both the PRR and N&W. Numerous restored K4s take part. As do T1 5536, R3 7236, I1 1753, M1 6755, and a few more. all operate at varying points. N&W 611 and 1218 also escape retirement from excursions following the SOU steam program’s end by joining this program.

1997-present: The PRR continues hosting several excursions with both N&W and PRR engines. While most of their passenger train lines are upgraded to be on par with the high speed NE Corridor. These lines now host speeds up to 100 mph.

Last edited:
Details on Pennsylvania Railroad Super Power

The R3
Wheel arrangement: 4-8-4
Service: Express Passenger
Number built: 350
Number preserved: at least 7, though more a rumored to still exist
Years of production: 1933-1940
When the NYC introduced their Hudson, the PRR first attempted a K5, though that engine proved to not be much better than the K4. After that, they decided to go bigger then the NYC did with the Hudson, and designed these 4-8-4s. While most 8 coupled steam engines on the PRR were put to work on freight, the R3s were used as the true successor to the K4 Pacific. This class had a staggering 300 examples built in the years from 1933 until 1940, after which the US entered WW2 in 1941. Becoming the largest amount of any PRR passenger engine engine other than the K4 Pacifics. These 4-8-4s, known as "Keystones," were the ultimate PRR engine. They were powerful, fast, cheap to build, and easy to upgrade and experiment upon, essentially making them to American railroads the Black 5 was to British railroads. As said, they mainly worked as the long sought successor to the K4. Pulling the fastest trains in the PRR passenger fleet, though come the T1, they continued to prove their worth on fast freight, working with the M1 and I1s. They soon went on the inspire the J class 4-8-4s, the most prized engine of PRR subsidiary Norfolk and Western. Other technologically significant steam engines it went on to inspire were the 4-8-4s of Andre Chapelon, and most significantly, the South African Railways 25NC.

The M2
Wheel arrangement: 2-8-4
Service: Freight
Number built: 36
Number preserved: Two
Years of production: 1928-1930
The first 2-8-4 steam engines. These were built in the 1930s when the PRR wanted a larger engine than their L1 Mikados to haul heavier trains. Lombardi's response was to take blueprints for the I1 decapod, take away a driver and replace it with a 4-wheel trailing truck, then us the newfound space to put in a larger firebox. Then the air reservoir of the L1 mikado and the pilot of the M1 mountain were placed on the front. The result was a strong, reliable fright ngine that could put its fellow freight engines, and those of other railroads, to shame easily. They were mainly referred to as "Rhinos", similar to how the I1s before were called "Hippos."

The M3
Wheel arrangement: 2-8-4
Service: Express Freight
Number built: 150
Number preserved: at least two, though more a rumored to sill exist
Years of production: 1935-1939
The second 2-8-4 steam engines. Lombardi was inspired by the 2-8-4s built by Lima for the railroads own by the Van Sweringen Brothers, such as the Nickel Plate, Erie, and C&O. Lombardi worked with both Lima and Baldwin in 1938 to develop some 2-8-4s built to PRR design. The first of these engines, number 7350, rolled out November 1939, just in time to help with US aid to Britain during the war. They soon proved themselves capable of high speeds and extreme power for the railroad. As a result, these 2-8-4s, christened "Juniatas." Have lasted well into the early 1970s. Just like virtually every PRR steam engine really.

The R2
Wheel arrangement: 4-8-4
Service: Freight
Number built: 40
Number preserved: Three
Years of production: 1929-1934
Much like the M2, this engine was a heavily modified version of a pre-existing PRR engine. This time, the M1 Mountain type was given a four wheel truck. Then it was given a larger firebox. The end result was the perfect PRR dual service engine. Though only a few were built in comparison to other PRR classes, as the M1 and I1 were considered fairly sufficient. They nonetheless stayed long enough to be called the "Super Mountains." These engines mainly co-existed with the M1, which gave them the aforementioned nickname.

Attachments

• PRR ideas 2.png
    PRR ideas 2.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,316
How does steam survive into the 1970s?

Also, since Amtrak is apparently butterflied away, what does the passenger-service picture look like in the postwar era?

How does steam survive into the 1970s?

Also, since Amtrak is apparently butterflied away, what does the passenger-service picture look like in the postwar era?

As I explained in the alt. timeline, the PRR begins upgrading their maintenance facilities in a similar way to the N&W's. Additionally, there are some fictional elements I created for this timeline so that some of steam's disadvantages (like soot), are decreased of not removed.

As for passenger trains, I was thinking that after the war, railroads would begin using concrete ties can other things that allowed higher speeds. As well as ad campaigns which would emphasize the advantage rail travel had over road or air travel.

Last edited:
I Wonder if in this ATL, apart of a longer steam life, would P.R.R. and another railroads use for a more widespread electrification? In case of P.R.R., electrification to Pittsburgh or Chicago? And i encounter that concept arts on internet. I Don´t know if this ATL-P.R.R. would have something like that images.

Attachments

• 1620519_683768731699867_6050636438167008410_n.jpg
    1620519_683768731699867_6050636438167008410_n.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,094
  • 10524362_683768718366535_1367514638548341398_n.jpg
    10524362_683768718366535_1367514638548341398_n.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 603
  • 14054932_1094762480600488_4978136456611915082_n.jpg
    14054932_1094762480600488_4978136456611915082_n.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 900
I Wonder if in this ATL, apart of a longer steam life, would P.R.R. and another railroads use for a more widespread electrification? In case of P.R.R., electrification to Pittsburgh or Chicago? And i encounter that concept arts on internet. I Don´t know if this ATL-P.R.R. would have something like that images.

I was thinking that perhaps when steam is finally ended, there are passenger train sets akin to those built by Talgo. But with 4-wheel trucks for longer coaches and such.

Pulling the fastest trains in the PRR passenger fleet, though come the T1, they continued to prove their worth on fast freight, working with the M1 and I1s.
Are the T1s going to be duplexes (4-4-4-4s)? A nice idea in theory, giving four cylinder drive with all cylinders outside for ease of maintenance, but I believe in practice affected by stress to the frames?

Are the T1s going to be duplexes (4-4-4-4s)? A nice idea in theory, giving four cylinder drive with all cylinders outside for ease of maintenance, but I believe in practice affected by stress to the frames?

Yes the T1 would still be around, and more would be built. Though they would not be as numerous as the R3s.

Just have the Railway here about the work being done in Argentina by L. D. Ports to improve the power, fuel efficiency and boiler water treatment. Have them bring him up to their workshops and you could end up with the worlds most efficient steam engines in the world. It is quite practical in the 1950's to improve steam traction to the point where it can genuinely compete with the diesels available at that time.

Just have the Railway here about the work being done in Argentina by L. D. Ports to improve the power, fuel efficiency and boiler water treatment. Have them bring him up to their workshops and you could end up with the worlds most efficient steam engines in the world. It is quite practical in the 1950's to improve steam traction to the point where it can genuinely compete with the diesels available at that time.

I was actually thought of the Milanese Augusto Lombardi to start doing that before Porta came on the scene. Once he did, Porta would further help the numerous US lines modify their engines to stay efficient, and be on par with all diesels but a few passenger ones.

Sorry for my tardiness in responding.

In my Fix-Your-Hometown timeline, which is floating around here somewhere and which got hijacked a bit, I had the Soviets in 1947-48 gain control of the Middle East and therefore much of the world's oil supply. The perceived threat to Western oil supplies (more perceived than real) caused the U.S. and other Western countries to go into "energy crisis" mode a la 1973-74 but about 25 years earlier. Among the results were the killing of the Interstate highway system, butterflying away of extensive (read: inexpensive) airline travel, and a rejuvenation of the railroads. You may need a big-picture scenario like this to really save passenger service. Faster trains are important and definitely should have been, but I'm not sure faster trains alone can cut it.

I do like your "imaginary" chemical elements, especially the one that destroys fat. I did an ASB thread for fun where I depicted the Soviets, again (those damn Commies!) trying to do genetic experiments toward creating super-soldiers. The lab blows up and spews genetic material worldwide: among the results are that no one ages physically past about thirty (though they live normal life-spans) and that no one can gain no more than ten pounds or so over their "ideal" BMI, no matter how much they eat.

Sorry for my tardiness in responding.

In my Fix-Your-Hometown timeline, which is floating around here somewhere and which got hijacked a bit, I had the Soviets in 1947-48 gain control of the Middle East and therefore much of the world's oil supply. The perceived threat to Western oil supplies (more perceived than real) caused the U.S. and other Western countries to go into "energy crisis" mode a la 1973-74 but about 25 years earlier. Among the results were the killing of the Interstate highway system, butterflying away of extensive (read: inexpensive) airline travel, and a rejuvenation of the railroads. You may need a big-picture scenario like this to really save passenger service. Faster trains are important and definitely should have been, but I'm not sure faster trains alone can cut it.

I actually thought of the Middle East cutting ties with US and its allies over their loud and proud support of Israel. Though I was also thinking that there would be similar issues eventually.

ADDITIONAL FACT OF ALT. TIMELINE

In the timeline, the earlier PRR engines. Namely the K4, L1, I1, and M1 locomotives all have the headlight and generator positions they had before 1946. Rather than said parts switching places. as can be seen here: http://www.broadway-limited.com/4422prrk4s4-6-23846pre-warversionparagon3sounddcdccho.aspx.

Despite this, some would still receive the slanted pilots that replaced the original one in OTL.

Know what? Scratch that, they still change headlight and generator positions.