Pecari rex, Equus regina: American Domesticates 3.0

I always look forward to your nitpicks, 9 Fanged :p

First, the easy one-the map doesn't really reflect the size of the alliances, just how constant they are. The *Pacific Plain and neighboring highlands as well as the dry region of the *Yucatan peninsula provide geographic borders that are easy to demarcate, and thus make the territory of these alliances relatively constant. There are city-state alliances between the two, they just have constantly shifting borders that don't really work on a non-.gif map. The *Yucatan is also more densely populated ITTL due to a cattle equivalent that can survive in such dry scrubland.

As for your second one, I'll concede that "Ahauahau" doesn't make sense. Before I retcon that to kaloomte', though, I do have to ask if that term really gets at what I'm trying to say. What I was trying to get at is that these new warlords are not just having military victories, they are also having bureaucratic victories in that they are bringing the city-states they conquer into a single unitary state instead of setting up a tribute system. What Mayan/Zapotec term best encapsulates that? Perhaps some variation on "Jaguar King" or "Quetzal King"?

Diez Mil Cantos-There is state formation going on in the Mississippi and Colorado, but as of right now they're not very big states, just city-states. Just as in Guatamala, there isn't really any set in stone borders big enough to put on the map. There will be soon, though, I promise ;)

Woldn't such a hypothetical title be called "Ahau na Ahauob?"

Besides, "Jaguar King" and "Quetzal King" seem to have been titles used only to refer to gods and deified ancestors, at least at the time. I highly suspect that if 4 Dog or his descendants claim either title, they had better have some very skilled and disciplined priests, otherwise everybody in an everwidening radius will call his city-state their enemy and fall on him at once!

Last edited:
K'uhul Ajaw was the most high-status variation of ajaw/ahau that I'm aware of, it basically means "Holy Lord". Kaloomte' however is still a better fit, it doesn't necessarily strictly refer to someone who makes many military conquests, though that generally is the most important measurement for the power of a medieval/ancient king. In fact I don't even know what it actually translates to, nor are archaeologists or epigraphers actually sure. If I had to make a guess I'd say it might have something to do with binding, as in binding people together in this case maybe. The Kaloomte' title can also be associated with specific directions as well. Whatever the grammar though, I'm just not sold on the possibility of a title translating to king of kings. A Maya ajaw simply wouldn't claim a foreign lord is directly superior to him no matter how powerful they were. The only cases of Maya kings acknowledging they were actually inferior to someone else was when they were actually vassals to a more powerful king. Describing someone else as King of Kings would imply a vassal relationship where it doesn't actually exist and also to a non-Maya foreigner no less. When Teotihuacan started pushing into what is now Guatemala and planting loyal dynasties in taken kingdoms, independent kings did not show equivalent signs of respect, they maintained their dignity and let Teotihuacan's actual vassals do the subservient thing.

I'm not talking about superiority and inferiority, but of foreign kings acknowledging that another king was more powerful than them.

To put it another way, if the King of Monaco says that Elizabeth is the Queen of many countries, he's not saying that he's subservient to her. He's not. But it is true that the Queen of England is also Queen of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. while the King of Monaco is just, well, the King of Monaco.

EDIT: and 9 Fanged, what do you think of Kavlan's proposal?

Last edited:
The Spread of Writing: Knot Codes

The Awapi’s great contribution to the Americas was not building a great empire, or radically altering the ways of agriculture or warfare or knowledge. Their great contribution was the cultural connection they created between Middle and South Columbia, allowing the innovations of the two different regions to spread and spark off new cascades of invention and creation.

The Awapi network did not have any single hub or authority controlling it. Different clans consisting of extended family networks acted as companies, competing with each-other to gain cargo and passengers, and occasionally indulging in a little piracy when times got hard. Frequent pirates were very harshly punished, however, as sailors who developed a reputation for piracy tended to draw their entire clan into strings of harsh vendettas that could end in their family ships being refused safe harbor or declared to be a ‘clan of pirates’ by rivals-making counter-piracy on their ships not only allowed, but encouraged.

The Awapi were colonialists, but practiced a light, mercantile form of colonialism. The towns they founded on the Martial coastline did not provide a base for expansion, but instead served as ports servicing Awapi ships and markets for whatever local goods the Awapi merchants could swap for. The Awapi were, in a sense, ‘sea gypsies’-a mobile people that filled a social niche for non-mobile societies, but did not join the societies they lived within.

There were some exceptions to this pattern, most notably in the Arponaz islands. Unlike our unfortunate castaway friends who encountered the Polynesians, the Arponaz were close enough to South Columbia that when Awapi sailors stumbled on them in an accidental drift voyage, they were able to find their way back and tell their clan about the new land.

At first, sailors used the land as a rest stop and re-supply station, hunting the local iguanas and tortoises and gathering fresh water. They quickly realized the potential in this virgin land, and began to bring their families to the islands. Although drier than the Awapi homeland, the larger islands supported farming, and the introduction of horses would allow humans to turn the more arid and infertile parts of the island into pasture.

Between human disturbance and the introduction of dogs and peccaries, the larger islands saw a great die-off of many local reptiles and birds. The native giant tortoises could not survive the pressure of the invaders, and soon went extinct. Animals living on the smaller islands, such as the vampire finch, survived the die off as well as the marine iguanas, penguins, and seals (though the latter were much reduced by fur hunters).

The islands provided a nexus of exchange for the Awapi, where merchants, farmers, and common fishermen alike could meet in a cultural space that was safe from outside influence-and, conversely, more open to change, as the people living there did not feel any pressure from the ‘outside’ societies their mainland kin served. It was probably on these islands that the Awapi began to turn their knotted string from a track of numbers to a code for language.

Inspired by the hieroglyphs of Middle Columbia and fearful of competition from rival clans, Awapi merchants stumbled upon an ingenious method for passing along secrets without risk of eavesdropping. They created the code by assigning different words to different combinations and types of knots. For example, 3 overhand knots noted smuggled cargo: a single overhand knot followed by a figure of eight knot indicated that the cargo to be smuggled were weapons, often restricted by local authorities mistrustful of the Awapi villages that sprang up on their shores. Some took the code further, giving different materials different meanings-for one clan, the knots on a strip of sisal cord meant business, while knots on a strip of horse hide meant talk of war, while string made from cotton fiber simply gave numbers. The codes were not formalized, and often shifted as they were broken and had to be re-made. But it was too ingenious an invention to be kept secret for long from their mainland clients.

I'm not talking about superiority and inferiority, but of foreign kings acknowledging that another king was more powerful than them.

To put it another way, if the King of Monaco says that Elizabeth is the Queen of many countries, he's not saying that he's subservient to her. He's not. But it is true that the Queen of England is also Queen of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. while the King of Monaco is just, well, the King of Monaco.

EDIT: and 9 Fanged, what do you think of Kavlan's proposal?
I know what you're saying, it just doesn't translate into a Mesoamerican context very well. Even then, I'm sure that other countries might consider it offensive if Elizabeth declared herself "Queen of Kings/Queens" or something. King of Kings implies more than just acknowledging the strength of a foreign king, it implies a difference in status. Also, I'm not too sure about the grammar of Kevlan's proposal either, though he got the plural right.

I know what you're saying, it just doesn't translate into a Mesoamerican context very well. Even then, I'm sure that other countries might consider it offensive if Elizabeth declared herself "Queen of Kings/Queens" or something. King of Kings implies more than just acknowledging the strength of a foreign king, it implies a difference in status. Also, I'm not too sure about the grammar of Kevlan's proposal either, though he got the plural right.

Re-edited to take these critiques in consideration. How's Kaloomte' B'alam as a retrospective title from his descendants sound?

Re-edited to take these critiques in consideration. How's Kaloomte' B'alam as a retrospective title from his descendants sound?
Hmm, the Balam in there sounds like a personal name in the context, though it works if they're using it to refer to a specific person. If you wanted to add something to Kaloomte', you could add a direction like North (Xaman), South (Nohol, as in my usertitle), East (Chik'in), or West (Ochk'in). Or perhaps center (Ol) but that might come off as rather presumptive, as would Yax (first) Kaloomte'. K'inich or K'uhul could also work as prefixes to a high title like this, though likewise it might come off as presumptive and there isn't any OTL precedent for using those with Kaloomte' that I know off, though that didn't stop me from making my usertitle Radiant/Sun-eyed Southern Overlord. :p Though in any case suffixes or prefixes aren't actually necessary for the title to work and convey the proper amount of dignity and status.

The Rise of the Southern Empires

Around 100 BC, the cities of the Martial Coast had created their own form of writing, adopted from concepts from the Awapi’s own innovations and from the bark-paper and horse hide books they introduced from Middle Columbia.

The writing of the Martial Coast of South Columbia went from top to bottom and was read on a line, imitating the code-knots of the Awapi. In order to show the connection of glyphs to each-other, the South Columbians drew a line between the letters, leaving gaps between words. Symbols by themselves represented a word, while connected symbols represented a sound. In a move borrowed from Middle Columbia, numbers were represented by horizontal lines and dots, although the South Columbians used a base 10 rather than the base 20 that was more common in Middle Columbia.

The most important feature that came out of South Columbian writing was abstraction. The idea of reducing entire words and sounds to very simple dots on a line that the Awapi struck upon stuck with the South Columbians who copied them. They would create simple, easy to write symbols to represent their language. While complexity in fields like politics, religion, and architecture are often retrospectively seen as a sign of accomplishment on a society’s part, simplicity also has its uses. The simpler forms of writing would make learning writing easier, and therefore storing and managing information more common. Instead of just war leaders collecting taxes and writing about their own accomplishments, clergy could record and transmit information, including observations on the weather and nature-vital information, on the capricious and potentially lethal Martial Coast. Merchants could organize bigger ventures and keep track of larger networks, generating more wealth. Knowledge is power, and writing was a great boon to knowledge in South Columbia.

With writing, the heirs of the original cities of Caral gained the ability to organize themselves on a new level, like the Gaayu’be’ena’a. And from this northern empire, they acquired the tree saddle. These were potent empire-building tools, and perhaps it was inevitable that they would be put to use in that way.

Around 100 AD, the process of conquest began when a young king named Nyamlap ordered the construction of a large vessel. Nyamlap was, according to the histories written by his scribes, highly pious and wished to create a ‘floating temple’ on which to give the god he was named for sacrificial offerings. However, on the maiden voyage his ship was attacked by Awapi pirates, and destroyed. Nyamlap floated back to shore, miraculously saved by providence, and vowed revenge on the insolent pirates.

He launched a military campaign against the strongholds of these ‘pirates’-a noble deed in the texts of his empire, but if one reads between the lines one sees a pogrom against the fiercely independent Awapi, an attempt to cleanse ‘aliens’ out of his control.

b5103.jpg

Pottery from Nyamlap's grave, depicting a prisoner of war slung over a horse.

Nyamlap’s campaign brought him into the Awapi homelands, where he scattered all resistance before him and completed the decentralization of the Awapi culture. While some fishing villages would remain scattered around the Martial Coast, and the Arponaz Islands would remain an Awapi cultural bastion, Nyamlap’s violent conquest and subsequent administration would coerce the equatorial mainland Awapi into integrating into his larger kingdom. Many abandoned the fishing and mercantilism that had sustained their earliest ancestors, and moved inland to farm. Their relatives on the sea, meanwhile, had lost their homeland.

After the conquest of the Awapi, Nyamlap turned against his southern neighbors, who had watched his campaign with a horror and now sought to take him down. Nyamlap faced down his foes with a cool certainty and a creative approach to strategy. By this point, domestic horses had been present in South Columbia for centuries, and counter-cavalry measures had started to be developed. It was Nyamlap who is credited with first drilling his troops to stand against cavalry charges, leading mock attacks against conscripts himself and punishing those who panicked and fled harshly but rewarding those who stood their ground while being charged.

These soldiers were extremely effective in the battlefield, organizing themselves into lines armed with different weapons. When charged, the first 2 lines used bows, dart throwers, and even slings to destroy the line of cavalry charging at them. Once the enemy riders closed the gap, the third line would step forward and use thrusting spears to attack the horses and riders. It was dangerous business, but Nyamlap’s innovative training created new tactics for foot soldiers. He produced a new kind of army-one that fought as a unit, rather than having individual soldiers rush at each-other en masse and fight pitched battles warrior to warrior. It was also extremely effective-one by one, the rival cities on the Martial coast fell to Nyamlap and his successors. The Chiclayec Empire had been born.

Just as in middle Columbia, the use of horses and writing to create an administrative network allowed for an early rise of the empire of conquest. Although the area directly controlled by Nyamlap was a relatively thin stretch of coast, it stretched from the equator to the Atacamac desert, and controlled almost all the Martial Ocean trade between Middle and South Columbia.

While the Chiclayec Empire formed on the coast, kingdoms were forming in the Kechay mountains. Although the mountain people were far behind their lowland neighbors in settling into sedentary village, by the last centuries B.C. they had put together an agricultural package well adapted for their alpine homeland and were building cities.

Although horses featured prominently in the artwork of these early cities, often portraying deities or revered ancestors on their backs, they were a small part of life in the Kechay Mountains even after cold-resistant breeds became established. Llamas and alpacas provided wool and meat, as well as labor since they were much more suited to scrambling up steep mountainsides. Horses were kept as status symbols by elites, who in riding them demonstrated their strength and connection to the deities that granted them the right to rule.

More important to these kingdoms was the managing great coastal empire, which was their main trading partner and greatest military threat. While the coastal people had little interest in controlling the mountains beyond getting metal ores and wool, they ensured that any attempts to not cooperate in trade were met with violence and unstoppable force. Political overtures to appease their powerful nature and keep their neighbors from using it against them were absolutely vital, and so coastal merchants moved into the mountain strongholds despite the strong cultural taboos against market trading, while young nobility from the mountains apprenticed in the cities of the coastal plain, bringing otherwise isolated kingdoms into the great Columbian networks of trade and ideas.

This effect could be seen further south on the great central plateau and nearby coastline of the Kechay Mountains. Although the people from there lived on the edge of the driest land in the world, they had developed a sophisticated irrigation system. When the armies of the Chiclayep Empire marched in, they found several chiefdoms that expressed devotion to the gods through elaborate earthwork monuments and pilgrimages to sacred sites. Nyamlap III co-opted these practices, erecting shrines to his great-grandfather in the pilgrimage sites and sacrificing horses on the earth works to consecrate them to his own gods. Once the territory was under control, it began to change. The Chiclayep bureaucrats imported mountain horses to gift to the people of the plateau, who found that on their flat land horses were extremely useful as labor animals. Chiefs in the area, even those not under the direct control of Chiclayep, began to adopt writing in addition to monuments to record their deeds. This southern frontier would create a creole culture that eventually would lead to the creation of the Pachayep kingdom-known later in history as the Gunpowder Kingdom to Europeans.

Earthwork art of the proto-Pachayep peoples.

nazca_spider.jpg

very interesting update!

Chiclayec Empire on the rise

with horses in the americas, I begin to wonder when Horse Nomads are going to bring down empires XD

with horses in the americas, I begin to wonder when Horse Nomads are going to bring down empires XD

Now that more solid saddles have been developed, it will be much easier for them. I think that the nomads need a little more time to get organized in order to become a serious threat, but they will be a military force later ITTL.

Now that more solid saddles have been developed, it will be much easier for them. I think that the nomads need a little more time to get organized in order to become a serious threat, but they will be a military force later ITTL.

I think the states of the Mississippi (and, if civilization eventually spreads that far, of the Paraná) are the most likely to fall victim to the horse nomads -- mostly because they're sitting on flat land right next to pastures perfectly suited for horses.

Which reminds me -- have any horses made it down to the Pampas yet? IOTL it proved very good ground for horses.

I just started this. It is a great alternate history based on very realistic geographic/evolutionary PoDs. I also like the fact that, for the most part, this is a true alternate history written from the TL like "For Want of a Nail". Also, unlike some New World timelines, it is not an "Amerind-wank", but is a realistic mixture of known OTL trajectories with reasonable speculation. I really like the extrapolation of the quipu into a true phonetic/logographic writing system. I wonder about the use of OTL Mayan-derived terminology and calendrical terminology for personal names, however. Wouldn't there be enough butterflies to render this somewhat unlikely, especially considering the significantly altered pattern of technology and cultural diffusion in the Columbias?

minifidel said:
Which reminds me -- have any horses made it down to the Pampas yet? IOTL it proved very good ground for horses.

Not yet, but it is on the verge of happening.

zoomar said:
I wonder about the use of OTL Mayan-derived terminology and calendrical terminology for personal names, however. Wouldn't there be enough butterflies to render this somewhat unlikely, especially considering the significantly altered pattern of technology and cultural diffusion in the Columbias?

In a super-realistic timeline, I would create entirely new tribes and languages throughout the New World. However, I have chosen not to do this in my timeline. Part of the inspiration for writing American domesticate timelines were the fascinating cultures, languages, and peoples of OTL. Without making TTL's cultures at very least recognizable twins of OTL's cultures, then from my perspective there's very little point in writing the time line at all, as I would no longer be celebrating these cultures as I want to.

Now, I there will be cultural differences, and in places where I can't find enough information on the language/culture of the local Native Americans, I will create new peoples/languages.

And thanks for your comments. They're why I keep writing :)

I'd love to see your sorces. It seems like they'd be extremely useful if I ever get around to reviving Swords of the Iroquois from the dead.

As writing spread and civilizations grew in the Kechay Mountains, more frontiers were being pushed forward by the peoples of North Columbia. In the Martial Northwest, civilization would make a great leap northward during the birth of the Potlatch culture.

The Martial Northwest was an area of constantly shifting borders contested between a wide variety of peoples practicing different and sometimes competing lifestyles. Although tempting to split these people into ‘farmer’, ‘hunter’ and ‘pastoralist’ labels and assign one-and only one-to a tribe, the truth was more complicated. Hunters in the more arid inland areas kept horses, pastoralists gathered berries and mushrooms, farmers fished the bounty of the rivers, and a community (or individual’s) lifestyle could constantly change for ecological, economical, or social reasons. Sometimes this helped soothe conflict by creating common cultural similarities. Other times, it made conflict between communities worse. When herders decided to harvest berries in a hunter-gatherer tribe’s territory, the loss of food for the hunters could trigger a war as they fought the people they saw as thieving interlopers.

What ultimately ended this constant cycle of warfare was the development of new technologies which allowed the creation of a surplus of seafood (particularly salmon). The hunter-gatherer peoples had a tradition of sharing out surplus catch, which they began to extend to their neighbors as these surpluses became increasingly common. Their neighbors began to reciprocate, gifting excess maize and horseflesh in exchange for peace. This soothed tensions, and took away the root cause of conflict. Now, when a group of herders took a harvest of berries, there was no need for the local hunter-gatherers to fight them off as they could expect a gift of horse meat to keep from starving. These standards of gaining and gifting excess food would lead to a population boom and the development of the Potlatch culture.

The Potlatch culture was more hierarchical and stratified than the tribal societies it replaced. Within the culture, chiefs and their families could command the food surplus harvested by the lower classes, redistributing it to themselves or to the craftsmen who built their houses and created the distinctive wooden artworks of the northwest. They could also, however, distribute the food and other parts of their wealth to their neighbors, who by accepting the gifts accepted their authority as chief. This did much to integrate the previously warring tribes and bands under new chieftanships.

Of course this did not mean the end of war. Rival chiefs who could not make each other submit could and did call for their followers to overthrow the rival. Slave raids grew common, as the surplus population and the need for servants to maintain the growing amount of material wealth created both a supply and a demand. Overall, however, a great degree of stability developed in the northwest as the rival peoples merged. Organized states sprang up under the more powerful chiefs, the use of seafood allowing these states to extend far into the subarctic, beyond the frontiers of horses and farming.

Canoe.jpg

Simultaneously, another frontier was breached as the ancestors of the Beothuk people settled on the virgin island of Tierranueva. Relatives of the Askimawey, they were more interested in fishing than herding but as they established themselves on the new land they imported domestic caribou lambs in their canoes. Keeping control of this young herd over the scrublands was not easy especially with the already established native caribou herds, to which domestic caribou would sometimes escape. Nonetheless domestic caribou provided an invaluable tool that allowed the inland of the island to be successfully colonized. Like in the northwest, these pastoralists would find peace with their fishing neighbors by exchanging meat from their herds for dry fish.

>>They could also, however, distribute the food and other parts of their wealth to their neighbors, who by accepting the gifts accepted their authority as chief.<<
Cool.

And I like the artwork.

>>They could also, however, distribute the food and other parts of their wealth to their neighbors, who by accepting the gifts accepted their authority as chief.<<
Cool.

And I like the artwork.

Yeah, I think I sometimes put a little too much war and conflict in my timelines, it's nice to describe how peace is maintained.

The painting is called "The Chief's Canoe". This picture really doesn't do it justice, but the painting hangs in the National Gallery, and is incredible to look at up close.

This is a great timeline. I like the description of social developments. While war is interesting, interesting peace time is more rewarding in my opinion. A few questions though.

Will you keep some of the matriarchal oriented cultures intact such as within the tribes of the Iroquois?

Will you have any great philosophers that are like Confucius or Plato appear in the Columbias with ideas around native philosophy or have any modified religion become widespread?

I've read that one of the reasons the Amazon Rainforest is valuable is because there are many plants with medical benefits that could be found due to its rich amount of life. Will the larger population mean that more of medicines could be found in the forest with more people experimenting?

Thanks for writing.

This is a great timeline. I like the description of social developments. While war is interesting, interesting peace time is more rewarding in my opinion. A few questions though.

Will you keep some of the matriarchal oriented cultures intact such as within the tribes of the Iroquois?

Yes, I will. Though as we'll see, in some ways the Haudonasee political system disenfranchised women in some ways while empowering them in others, and more 'macho' cultures gave them opportunities they wouldn't see in the *Haudonasee system.

Will you have any great philosophers that are like Confucius or Plato appear in the Columbias with ideas around native philosophy or have any modified religion become widespread?

Axial age-like religions? You know, I don't really know. I'm thinking about it, but at this point I'm not really too sure. There's definitely factors that could create more demand for such a religion, but it's another for these religions to actually appear. It is an area rich in inspiration, though.

I've read that one of the reasons the Amazon Rainforest is valuable is because there are many plants with medical benefits that could be found due to its rich amount of life. Will the larger population mean that more of medicines could be found in the forest with more people experimenting?

I do plan on giving quinine an earlier head start. I don't think we'll see a really big change in pharmaceuticals until TTL reaches the modern world.

Thanks for writing.

Thank you for your questions:)